Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 30919 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #345 on: May 08, 2023, 07:27:22 am »

I suspect the long-term grinding down of funds for local government is a factor, as well as the the NHS. From little things like potholes, to big things like not being able to get a GP appointment; the police couldn't catch a bus let alone a burglar, the ambulances take hours to arrive, the water companies are given free reign to pump sewage into the rivers and beaches... the whole country feels degraded from just ten or fifteen years ago.
Is it though?  I find that often although stats show that things are better than ever, but many people feel the exact opposite because in todays media environment they are more exposed to report about than they used to

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 08, 2023, 12:48:00 pm »

That position is true about some things, like perception of violent crime, but not with regards to the issues I mentioned.

Potholes are up (though I agree perception of potholes probably makes it seem worse):

NHS waiting times are up under the Tories:

Charge rates are way down. Everyone who has any experience of dealing with the police for most non-violent offences know that they're not interested (especially things like bike theft):

Ambulance response times have degraded massively over just the last few years:

Water quality (due to sewage outflow and other pollutants) is generally up, though it wasn't great to begin with:

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 09, 2023, 06:37:05 am »

Could be. I am not familiar with all the stats and long term trends in UK in these categories. Reading a humorous book about your medical system is the extent of what I know here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2023, 08:16:47 am »

Reading a humorous book about your medical system is the extent of what I know here.
Let's just get this straight, James Herriot is not a people-doctor.

Nor is Dr No really that much of a people-person, with frankly unothodox ideas about healthcare. He also works overseas, mainly, and has more global aspirations.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2023, 08:37:54 am »

Kier's now reneged on the "no tuition fees" promise.

I'm doing what LW did years ago and calling them Laour, they don't deserve the B any more. They'd probably renege on their spelling too, anyway.

So yeah, is Laour now standing for anything *other* than "We're not completely insane"?
I don't think I can take credit for coining Laour, I think someone else coined it and I just adopted it to continue making cosmic horror shitposts about British politics. Something about Jeremy Corbyn pondering orbs happened along the way too

Charge rates are way down. Everyone who has any experience of dealing with the police for most non-violent offences know that they're not interested (especially things like bike theft):
Around my area groups of muggers ride around on rented bicycles in broad sunny daylight wearing ski masks and baclavas looking for easy targets, knowing even if the police get called there'll be no follow-up investigation. One of my friends even used the GPS tracker on his stolen phone to get the address of the person who stole his phone and police did absolutely nothing with this information, telling him it was a civil offence

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2023, 09:02:16 am »

Around my area groups of muggers ride around on rented bicycles in broad sunny daylight wearing ski masks and baclavas looking for easy targets, knowing even if the police get called there'll be no follow-up investigation. One of my friends even used the GPS tracker on his stolen phone to get the address of the person who stole his phone and police did absolutely nothing with this information, telling him it was a civil offence
There are similar stories all over (though crooks don't usually wear pastries). I've had multiple bikes stolen over the years, and there's literally no point getting the police involved. This kind of common disillusionment with the police is now very widespread. The thing to do in cases like you mention is to just take the item back (what are the thieves gonna do, call the cops??).

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2023, 10:06:57 am »

Reading a humorous book about your medical system is the extent of what I know here.
Let's just get this straight, James Herriot is not a people-doctor.

Nor is Dr No really that much of a people-person, with frankly unothodox ideas about healthcare. He also works overseas, mainly, and has more global aspirations.

I was thinking of  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Going_to_Hurt   
Whether gynaecolog is a people-doctor i'll leave for you to decide.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2023, 10:42:48 am »

Pretty sure Laour was MetalSlimeHunt, or someone similar like Maximum Zero.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2023, 02:55:03 pm »

Pretty sure Laour was MetalSlimeHunt, or someone similar like Maximum Zero.
I thought it was MSH myself but I didn't want to gaslight anyone lol

There are similar stories all over (though crooks don't usually wear pastries). I've had multiple bikes stolen over the years, and there's literally no point getting the police involved. This kind of common disillusionment with the police is now very widespread. The thing to do in cases like you mention is to just take the item back (what are the thieves gonna do, call the cops??).
We've had the police arrest people for scaring burglars before by waving around a knife in their own home

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2023, 05:01:00 pm »

We've had the police arrest people for scaring burglars before by waving around a knife in their own home
Damn, that sounds like New York!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 09, 2023, 05:40:23 pm »

I think when it comes to using potentially deadly force there's a line of proportionality that must be considered. If you have a norm of people being trigger happy (or stab-happy) in their own homes, it will end in innocent people getting hurt.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 09, 2023, 05:44:58 pm »

The thing to do in cases like you mention is to just take the item back (what are the thieves gonna do, call the cops??).
The issue is there low life's that will be happy to keep it until you do something that the police might care to bother with.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #357 on: May 10, 2023, 01:56:50 am »

I think when it comes to using potentially deadly force there's a line of proportionality that must be considered. If you have a norm of people being trigger happy (or stab-happy) in their own homes, it will end in innocent people getting hurt.
This isn't anything to do with proportionality or people gunning down fleeing randos. This is literally arresting someone who waved a kitchen knife, in their own kitchen, to warn off someone actively trying to break into their house. No one hurt, lady didn't chase down the burglar either or start throwing rocks at him or something

Similar madness happened when five guys were kicking down the door of my mother whilst she was still in the house. She calls police and they tell her to check if they have a crowbar because they won't send anyone unless they have a crowbar. For obvious reasons she wasn't willing to enter the hallway but police can be a bit daft now with their overstretched resources and structural corrosion. It's like how we had police arresting women for handing out rape alarms or arresting protestors protesting when a policeman had raped and killed a woman. Priorities are whacked

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 12, 2023, 01:03:17 am »

Well yeah, of course cops are gonna beat the everloving crap out of anyone that says they do wrong.

Funny story, I found out that body cams in my area were a direct result to three cops having left the residence of a dead guy and swearing none of them did it.
...they're all still employed in Law Enforcement, I believe.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #359 on: May 12, 2023, 05:38:33 pm »

Is it true that the Conservative party just lost a bunch of seats in local elections?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37