Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 30926 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2023, 03:33:12 pm »

8/12 (two-thirds) of jurors needing to vote guilty is a more stringent requirement than 8/15 jurors (simple majority).
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2023, 11:49:51 am »

Kier's now reneged on the "no tuition fees" promise.

I'm doing what LW did years ago and calling them Laour, they don't deserve the B any more. They'd probably renege on their spelling too, anyway.

So yeah, is Laour now standing for anything *other* than "We're not completely insane"?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2023, 12:19:36 pm »

Some of their policy about moving towards sorting out the housing crisis seems like an incremental step in the right direction with mandatory housing targets, and maybe some limits on investors buying up new homes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 04, 2023, 09:15:50 pm »

Local elections in England don’t seem to be going well for the Tories.

35 of 230 councils have announced results according to the Beeb, and they’ve already lost 70 seats.

They might gain seats in other councils as-yet-unannounced, but they could also lose even more. All this a year removed from a general election.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2023, 09:52:48 pm »

Shock, the Party That Fucked It All Up is presently losing fucking hard.

Like they've pissed off everyone. That's actually an accomplishment.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2023, 11:37:05 pm »

They were at a disadvantage that they were(/are) defending about half as many seats again as Labour, I think it is, so have more to lose than all their opponents (major and minor).

And, in part, this could be because the places on a four-year cycle might have been gained from Labour in 2019 (when there was a stark right-swing) and so are potentially wobbling back towards their original 'owners', on top of at least 2022's cycle being rolling away from them. But I haven't checked any of these particular suppositions, so ICBW.

As I don't have a relevent vote, in this sideshow, I've not really been following the commentators. But I suspect that pro-Labour (or anti-Tory) swings are inevitable, and yet possibly Labour doing 'well' is actually a problem for them when really they ought to do 'magnicicently' given the government climate within which this voting cycle is engendered. It might mean that Rishi is just not a car-crash (unlike predecessors, ultimately or indeed entirely), Kier isn't looking quite so MOT-ready or just that people are finally voting for representatives and not the umbrella entities (parties and/or current leaders) that often mean very little about how exactly any of the incumbant/contesting bods will actually represent your neighbourhood.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2023, 01:31:34 pm »

This almost was never going to be a "good" night for the Tories, but the scale of losses at all ends is the telling detail. They lost almost just as many seats to the Lib Dems as as to Labour.

Mid Suffolk in just three cycles went from "Conservative" to "No Overall Control but Conservative largest share" to "Green Party Control". Several historical battlegrounds and relatively safe seats both went away from them and became either No Overall Control or outright lost. The Lib Dems ate into the conservative heartlands just as the Labour heartlands returned to them, and combination has left them down over a 1000 council seats, which was being passed around as an absolute worst case number.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:35:41 pm by MorleyDev »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2023, 03:16:49 pm »

The doorstep message from the PM was something like "The people have spoken, and they have told us that we should continue to prioritise all the things that we were previously prioritising".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2023, 08:08:36 pm »

Tories lost 1/3 of their seats (Over 1000 in total), and last I saw about 2/3 of the councils they controlled.

Fucking ouch.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 06, 2023, 04:39:02 pm »

Is that enough to change your PM and Government?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2023, 04:46:37 pm »

Nah it’s basically city/county elections, just all happening at once. Just for England anyway.

The general election is expected next year though, so this is a horrible bellwether for the Tories in that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2023, 05:53:28 pm »

Some treatments of "if these people were voting for MPs, and everyone else also was" give a possibility of it having been a full-on change of government (if that's the question being asked).

Though that's hedged by both the people and the politicians involved often behaving differently in GEs (protest votes, rash promises, stored-up complaints maable against others being trickled/gushed out in a carefully designed schedule...).

And national/global events could overturn much of the political landscape, so even a snap GE in two weeks could be hit by cascadinng bank-collapses or escalating military tensions in various quarters of the world (to name just two possibilities).

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2023, 05:59:01 pm »

I suspect the long-term grinding down of funds for local government is a factor, as well as the the NHS. From little things like potholes, to big things like not being able to get a GP appointment; the police couldn't catch a bus let alone a burglar, the ambulances take hours to arrive, the water companies are given free reign to pump sewage into the rivers and beaches... the whole country feels degraded from just ten or fifteen years ago.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2023, 09:50:50 pm »

...at least it's not all on fire and broke like the US.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 07, 2023, 10:34:19 pm »

Everybody’s on strike instead.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37