Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!  (Read 16365 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wow. These are ai generated images right? I might have to join in... that throne is amazing! and the cave pygmy is ... cute. just adorable lol

A more subtle threat is the apparent mind-altering properties of LRI-003. Specifically, LRI-003 seems to inspire paranoia of itself, perhaps as a defence mechanism. It is speculated that this effect is most intense for anyone who has looked into the eyes of a LRI-003 instance. Multiple individuals have exhibited varying levels of paranoia toward LRI-003, including two former site overseers. It has become common for personnel to blame minor annoyances or bad luck on LRI-003, and what they might do next is often a conversation topic around Site-03.

are you insinuating that our collective PTSD is somehow invalid? typical cold scientist, removed from the reality of the day-to-day. Those pygmies have continuously targeted and stolen only the most valuable of objects. conspiracy or not, they are accurate and fast. and visit me in my dreams.

who let this guy in here, anyways? why is he writing numbers on everything? Hey! That's my bedroom you're designating a "containment site"!~

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, of course not! Clearly they;re even more of a threat because of their insidious thought control!

Most of the images are made through stable-diffusion. The cave pygmy is DALLE-2. I think DALLE-2 is public now so you can just make an account and use it. Limited free monthly generations. Stable-diffusion can be run locally so no limit, but it does need a good GPU.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

Hoooly crap, that list of the dead. What in the hell happened?

Also goddamn nogoodnames, you went all out. Awesome to see the Ai genned art along with the logs (I have a weak spot for those)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hoooly crap, that list of the dead. What in the hell happened?

I have no idea. We are lacking the reports. It's almost as if more time passed than was physically possible. The death is inexplicable and ever-present. Maybe it's the pygmies. Maybe it's the frost spirits, slowly poisoning us with their blessings.

The blessings will continue.

===

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We snuffed out any hope of escape after we installed the surface keep. One way in, one way out. Keeps things simple, safe, but we're always feeling like a small dog backed into a dead-end alley like this. Such is the life of a dwarf.

Some expansion has occurred, certainly.

A masonry was designed in the middle floors, between caverns 1 and 2, designed for access from above and below.

It was noted that SOMEONE sold or killed or otherwise absconded with my beautiful, hand-raised flock of psuedodragons. When I find out who did this I will personally chain you to a waterbuffalo before letting it loose in the third cavern layer. Do you know what lives in the third cavern layer? Fool! I warmed those eggs in my sweater for three months!

Instead of those wonderful little firebreathers, we're left with dozens of furry bastards, otherwise known as puppies. Much less exciting, though I suppose they are pretty cute. I know - we'll stick 'em in a cage near the ticket booths for marketing purposes. Brilliant.

While we were under siege, we kept the inner gate open so as to access the blueberry fields so nicely dug into the surface soil, within our keep. This was fairly safe, we thought, but little did we know that they had brought flying wyrvens  to accost us.

Poor Nutu was peppered with sharp stones from a flying, mounted slinger, before being vivisected by this strange beast, who also appeared out of the blue:

The gate was closed, but not before four more dwarves sprinted outside, desperate for blueberries. or something. Turned on by the scent of fresh blood, the other wyrvens and strange invaders began to climb the walls .

Things are going just swimmingly as our mayor claims yet another re-election.

===

What should we do with all this copper? my god!

===

OOC: a paired group of Giant Bluejays and Fire Imps proved deadly for my FPS. we went from 120 to 60 . thanks you pathfinding flyers you

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

Looks like someone left a smelting job on repeat and forgot about it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Looks like someone left a smelting job on repeat and forgot about it.

Better metal than mugs.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

(A piece of paper found stuffed in the empty library)
Overseer Report Year 8

It is 1295 my time although that brings up more questions ontowards the nature of times flow in this dreaded place. The begining of this year saw us fighting rotbloods, foul creatures that were easily dispatched. I once again welcomed more doomed migrants as undead pirates arrived too many to fight and i know not theif strength so i seal us in. Seems they left as soon as they arrived wierd.

THEY ARE WORKING TOGETHER, too cocky kobold thiefs come running up at the entrance taunt us, i send the army after their arse and right on queue its those horrific aliens lead by serpent people. Well, time to redirect focus i thought, as the brave dwarves crested the hill, the rest of the invasion force arrived. Get back inside orders were not needed as the flying limbs of dwarves knocked sense into the rest of the squad to flee. We have seal ourselves in now, but the walls more. I hear footsteps. No one except Urist and I hears them. They are back.

(The bottom of the page has crude smudged blueprints of a cage trap)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 03:03:38 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer arrived, and the siege broke. Hordes of patients, doctors, and other so-called abominations retreated south through the melting snowfields. One of the wyvrens was spotted carrying the corpse of a dead giant bluebird, presumably for a later picnic.

The surface stunk like a dentists office, and was littered with syringes and oddly shaped glass bullets. So, not unlike most bachelor parties.

Also, these strange blue robot skulls were found. How odd!

It was decided to create a corpse processing center near the surface, in the shape of a gigantic red skull. More pictures to come . .

We decided to use up some of this copper in the task of covering our entrance keep, in a gigantic metal pyramid. Work was fast, as the copper was mostly near the surface.

caravan came, I requested eggs. lots of eggs.

we managed to make a coffin for every citizen! some of them are even masterwork quality marble.*

*please note we are working on making beds for every citizen and if you could just remain patient as this is a far more difficult task than you might imagine, especially considering all this effort we are taking to make sure you are buried properly when I mean if ... if you die.

The red skull room, in progress:

I noticed a large number of artifacts carelessly strewn about, so I threw them all in the first temple:

We chose to install a jeweled skylight in the roof of the copper pyramid, slightly recessed so as to prevent destruction. It remains covered in snow for the moment, but by next summer it will prove a brilliant sight:

The bookcases were finally installed, completing our grand library:

Then, the first day of Winter:
man serpents!!!!

ooc: everything on the surface is forbidden for now, we could use DF hack to clean it all or leave it if you enjoy the, um, aesthetics of chaos.  some of our excess furniture and stone was destroyed, and many of the dwarves are sad. *looks askance* yeah that has nothing to do with enforced, regimented labor for every free hand in the pursuit of large vanity constructions. not at all.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:21:48 pm by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

Love the skylight, its gonna make for a great haunted fortress.

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They sent three squads, led by a disgusting strange alien thing. We hunkered down and nothing really came of the siege, at least in early winter.

We adjusted the military training schedule to 1/3 of the year instead of 2/3's. morale is low.

This awesome artifact spiked glove was made:

Work continued, but the snakemen annoyed me. A side entrance, just a simple staircase and bridge, were dug in an attempt to capture or bait the siege into smaller groups. It worked.

However, the fighting was brutal, and the snakes were wielding gigantic medical saws and wearing high tech space suits. For some reason. This hammerdwarf died when the snake chomped down on his head then sawed off his neck. That's metal AF.

A second wave was baited, this time twice as large. But in attemping to capture them we misjudged the timing, and were forced to engage in the tight hallway.

The fighting was epic, taking place in this large magnetite chamber full of large, misshapen iron boulders. Only two dwarves were lost, with Avolition claiming many kills. The siege is broken. We never fought the alien, which is good, since aliens are far too spooky for my taste ever since I watched Signs when I was far too young.

With that, spring is here, and my turn is complete. tl;dr Endless winter, pink mists, and furnishing tasks.

save is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16126

bonus gif of snakemen wandering through luminescent clouds:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:45:47 pm by Salmeuk »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might be able to pick up the save today, but if anyone else wants a turn feel free to go first.

Edit: Turns out I probably won't have much free time until the weekend so if anyone wants a turn, feel free to take it
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 06:20:55 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Yeah, anyone can take it if they have the time. This halloween-themed gamejam I'm in is almost done then I'll be able to take a turn as well, but that's two days off.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile

I can pick up the save Monday if anyone cannot do it before then

Drunken scholar

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Spooky game released!

Go for it, it seems! I need a day or two to recover anyway.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The save's free. I ended up not having time to take an actual turn, but I think I'll write up some more of those SCP files and maybe take a turn if it's free later.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15