Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vertical building has me more excited than any feature of recent memory  (Read 1152 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2022-09-26

Reducing the micro for scaffolding & walls is exciting beyond words.  It reminds me of the first time I had an apartment with a walk-in closet; it's a feature I didn't even know I needed until the first time I had it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:17:03 am by Immortal-D »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical building has me more excited than any feature of recent memory
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 07:26:53 am »

"And constructions can be built vertically now, as long as one of the levels has access to building materials"

...doesn't really say you don't need scaffolding (assuming the construction isn't stairway and thus its own scaffolding), I read it as the same as (currently) the ability to designate a length of wall straight out from an edge. Only those accessible to the existing floor get built, the rest await your building (perhaps in a parallel designation) a floor/wall-top-from-below to progressively allow access to actually fulfil the construction.

But I still think a lot like a 3D printer for aboveground constructions, only really laying down a layer at a time[1]. So, though I have no doubt I could adapt to such vertical-splurging[2], if might take a while to change my current playing style.

[1] ASAP after the layer below provides the logistics of the access required, and with all due care to force the later-inaccessible far corners to be built before the bits that would make them inaccessible, plus coordinate any temporary 'floor-scaffolding' add-on/removal as required.

[2] Probably those vertical corners, the internal stairwell(s) and (vertical x horizontal, perhaps) the access-/scaffold-flooring to give route to the bounding limits to the desired multilevel floorplans. At least where I'm doing straight-up walls and not outward-stepped floor-changes (if not outright 'inverted ziggurat').

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical building has me more excited than any feature of recent memory
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 01:37:04 pm »

OH MY GOD NO THIS IS AMAZING I HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME FOR SO LONG AND MY TENDONS CAN FINALLY STOP CRYING

like ok, does anyone else remember how godawful it was in the beginning with constructions? only one piece at a time, plop plop plop, it took fucking forever. if you review fortresses on DFMA from the early post-3d update era just be aware that the effort required to build anything was RIDICULOUS back then. we have come so far.

and Starver yeah, you will still need to access the constructions, I don't think we're adding anything like the raising of multi-z-level pillars. But this means you can completely designate scaffolding, then walls, in two steps, assuming you have blocks to do so.

SO GOOD OH MY FUCKING GOD YES ANOTHER REASON TO BE GENUINELY EXCITED YESSSSSSS