Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Glass Cream (5 / 5) - 16  (Read 30480 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5)
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2023, 06:10:27 pm »

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

She picks a flat spot on the sidewalk and sits, cross-legged.
"I must focus. Please try to not be too... disruptive."

Push the mess of thoughts from my mind and relax. Mediate.

(Meditation: 3)

You sit and aim to shake the cobwebs of chaos' aftermath from your brain - or whatever passes for a brain, here.

You can hear Skylord strike the concrete. The chatter of various magi. Casting of spells.

The thrumming of power in your Crest.

This isn't quite working. You'd need like, headphones or something. Or an isolated place to sit. Somewhere where these emotion-driven allies cannot affect you, or something to grant you peace of mind.

Or a harsher, sharper focus, you suppose.

Get an essence ready for the upcoming battle.  Use Zelthenegen.  Hopefully it'll mean persistance.

Once again, punch the ground.  Do my footsteps shake the earth yet?

(Power: 1)
(Control: 5)

You shape a masterful structure to fill with vital energy and then completely fail to fill the structure.

It promptly crumbles.

Well that sucks.

(Might: 2+1=3)

You crouch down, raise a fist, and slam it into the sidewalk. Ow! No earthquake, and only a few cracks.

It looks like you still have a long ways to go.

I look between Ignorance attempting to meditate and Skylord attempting to create an earthquake.
"Well this is going to end well"
I then craft an essence of Taqquin while waiting for the map to be ready.

(Power: 3)

The concept, the Word that holds it, the structure you trap it within, and trap it in yourself.

It builds and builds, but cannot escape, cannot detonate, a little ember of power sustaining a finite matrix of shaping, ready to assist a future work, and grant to it more conceptual force.

[Gain +0P/+1C Essence of Taqquin.]

"No, I haven't at least. But that does give me a few ideas..."
after making the essence that is my primary action for the turn: I want to take a few moments to simply examine myself and just kinda orient myself with how I am, if that makes sense. I want to see if my book contains any useful information, want to look over how my watch reacted to my actions, and to see how warm my firey hair actually is. I also want to actually look at my crest and see what it looks like, and if I feel anything from touching it. Just generally see what I can figure out about myself and who and what I am, if that makes sense.

Things are finally a bit less rushed, so you take the time to examine yourself.

The watch-hands slowly tick to a stop from an already slow pace. (But were they moving before?)

Your book's pages are blank - no, there's some sections that contain quick, jittery etched thoughts on the magic you've used. Your thoughts?

They were more blank before you looked.

Your hair is projecting heat. (But it's dulled.)

Your Crest is -

(Unknown: 4)

[planar realm/intersection/_/soul/_/inscription-encoding/_]

You are dreaming, and your dream is a shared/shaped reality.

Heavenly Clerk looks around frowning slightly "Seeing such a place so... rundown it makes me a bit... sad honestly... not sure why." She lets out a sigh before returning to her normal demeanor "Anyway I uh should probably get myself a weapon a therapist should always remain vigilant!"

What was the spell for my therapy object again? Oh right Requiem yeah that's it! Cant go out to the field without my trusty therapeutic frying pan!

Several of your therapy team look to be having major and minor epiphanies. That's cool and all, but you need a weapon!

(Control: 1)

The dull-brown handle of a frying pan materializes in your hand, then fragments to little pieces, then melts into nothingness.

Ah, yeah, that won't do it at all. It's unprofessional to be throwing around pieces of weapons, anyways. You need something intact and functional!

The cloaked magical girl squats down next to a vine, inspecting it as she talks.

"I wonder if normal people even exist here.  We're in the 'Realm of Dreams', but everything here has some greater order and permanence.  Watermelon is like a robot, an actual robot, not someone's nonsensical dream of one."

Luna idly pokes at the vine with her left hand.  "I think this is just... some place beneath real dreams?  Or something created from them?  It's sad and dead, but some dreams are sad.  A lot of people are dead.  It might just be like this."

She stands up, and shakes her head.  Then she turns and starts walking away, down the street.  She tries to teleport some distance down the street.  Just through force of will.  If that doesn't work, then walk normally.  After making some distance from her allies, she whispers a spell to herself, aiming to summon the result into her outstretched hand:

"Ulvulme tarle diaboldatact vzzrl."

This is a dream, right? The Inner Realm, whatever that truly means. Dreams are supposed to be malleable.

Can't you just... be, over there?

(Power: 2)
(Control: 6+1=7)
(Heart: 2+1=3)

You are a magical girl, and you will move.

There are no Words. That's the hardest part of all of this. There are no concepts to source and use as shapers for your power. All you have is your own will to move.

Your own dream. Your defiance of the order of things.

You shape your power perfectly, but only draw so much, but you demand that you be moved. You are moving. You will move. Move. Move. Move. MOVE.

You open your eyes, smoky blood dripping down your nostrils, eyes. Who are you, to try to _?

The Realm says you are not ready. The dripping blood agrees. Your face, on the road, agrees.

But judging by your position relative to the surrounding vines and trees... you didn't collapse where you stood.

You collapsed one step forwards from that point, without ever having stepped.

(Resilience: 1)

Your audacity carries its cost. But you have not torn yourself asunder. Your Heart endured. Maybe your audacity will carry you further, if you survive.

[Heart Capacity 3/3 at Exhaustion. Minor Crest Damage inflicted.]

"Local area scan complete. Loading psychic map to Crest connection. Load complete. Please refrain from attempting [ERROR_RECORDS_LOST]."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)

"Your objective is to search flagged anomalous areas and locate the precise location of the void-reading phenomenon."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 1
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2023, 07:25:39 pm »

"Cat, that map is an eyesore and not highly usable. Allow me to generate a more usable version."

"It would seem that the most direct path from here would be [south, east, east, south], unless we wish to search houses for supplies."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:13:39 am by Egan_BW »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2023, 11:21:44 pm »

Annoying. Maybe...
Follow along with the team, recommending SEES.
While I do, think about how my Uniform really should have a nice tactical headset to keep out the noise. And help me hear things, of course.

If that doesn't take up all my mental effort, make an Essence of Nek.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:13:49 am by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2023, 11:36:44 pm »

Mmmph.  I suppose it was too much to expect the cat to make me that strong in one go.

..I'll give the cat one more chance and then try to figure somethign else out myself.

"I'm in favor of just going straight through the middle of things.  Hit there, and then check the fancy points at the edge
..This is a really good map.  Thanks, Witch!"

"I'll also try to get that essence of Persistance together.  I almost had it, but I didn't get the power up to fill it."

Repeat!  Essence of Zelthenegen

Keep walking with the team, whichever way we go.

Spoiler: Skylord (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2023, 12:30:19 am »

Luna's Vestige picks herself up off the ground awkwardly, wiping the ashen blood from her face.  But despite the gray liquid leaking out of her eyes, her irises shine a vivid blue.

"I have wonderful news!  We can teleport!"

She wipes the rest of the blood from her face, though a streak remains around one of her eyes, like badly-applied makeup.  She doesn't seem to notice.

"Well, kind of.  And it was really hard to go even that far.  But we can!  It's just a matter of wanting it enough.  That's really cool!  It might save one of us in a rough spot!"

It takes the girl a few seconds to realize the others aren't as interested in her discovery, and are rather paying attention to Witch's map.  She doesn't seem to mind, though; she starts to inspect it with the same level of excitement.

"This is a really good map, well done.  It's really weird, it's like I can hear it?  I wonder what else we can communicate.  Ah, we should split up, to investigate faster!  And test how well we can communicate at a distance.  Would any of you be up for partnering with me?"

Move along with the party, SEES.  It's the most efficient path no matter where we go.  At some point while walking, cast an experimental spell: "Ulvulme tarle diaboldatact vzzrl."

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2023, 12:37:38 am »

"...The map is no trouble. I'll keep it updated as we move."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2023, 12:59:06 pm »

My attention lingers on the teammate that attempted to teleport, as well as on their injuries, and the results of their efforts, before returning to the question of where we should go and if we should split up.

I really wish I had a way to try to help heal them.

"I guess we could split up a bit to test communications, but I think we're a lot safer as a team and a single big group, so I'd like to regroup before going very far."

I begin moving South->East->East->South with everyone else

So it seems like a lot of ourselves and even magic in general is kinda based on what we think and feel about it, rather than some hard-and-fast rules. So I'd guess that means even our spells will be shaped by them. That might explain why it seems like if I want a spell result to "fire" out at something I have to "fire" it. It's because I know the different meanings of "fire". So if I pre-image what spell effect I'm planning on making, maybe...

I then attempt to carefully image in my mind the desired result of the spell that I'm about to cast

First, I choose to focus on the general structure, I'm attempting to make a bronze spear that fires fire. Then the important details, the flame shot out from the tip of the spear should be reactive to the wielder's needs and desires, not simply constantly shooting off. And finally, I add in the non-critical imagery, the smooth but sharp leaf shape of the tip, the spiraling design of light and flame that goes down the shaft allowing the weapon a measure of beauty without sacrificing function, the length of it relative to my size so that it fits me well, the fine balance of the weapon allowing me to manuver it comfortably, and the intricate internal structure reinforcing the weapon throughout while also reducing overall weight. As a closing step, I go back in reverse and make sure that I have down the important details and the general structure well, bookending the imaging process with the most critical aspects of what I'm planning to make so that I will retain these details in my head as well as possible.

And once I've finished the process and am confident that I'm ready, I go ahead and cast while using the essence I just made and while maintaining the above image of what I'm trying to make:
"Magi TokTok Taqquin <Taqquin>"

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spell notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:11:57 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2023, 02:28:05 pm »

"I'm not uninterested, it's just that magic seems to be hard enough I'm having trouble just casting stuff with spells.  Although if you just have to want it enough, that is interesting.."

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5)
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2023, 10:57:25 pm »

Heavenly Clerk looks mildly disappointed that they couldn't summon a frying pan "Awwwww come on! Right well... lets uh stick together for now! Ill uh... try again during the trip... also what you all talking about anyway? Not that I was zoning out or anything! Just uh... focusing on other things!"

Move with the rest of the group and try to summon a frying pan again... wait I gotta say the words shoot uh... Requiem right? I swear feels like its been weeks!
Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Records (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2023, 06:55:14 pm »

Annoying. Maybe...
Follow along with the team, recommending SEES.
While I do, think about how my Uniform really should have a nice tactical headset to keep out the noise. And help me hear things, of course.

If that doesn't take up all my mental effort, make an Essence of Nek.

(Heart: 3)

You focus. Your Uniform is an expression of yourself, but the 'self' must be flexible. You breathe and focus. Logically, as you change, so should your Uniform. You have gained an earnest desire to meditate and sit in silence, to sharpen your focus to an extreme.

So you have a pair of blue fluffy earmuffs, hanging around your neck, ready for use.

Hm. You see how it is, then. It'll take more than just a wish to achieve your desire. Your power is still free to use, however, so you attempt to shape an Essence.

You dedicate the utmost of your focus to shaping each little fold and wave of the structure of the Word, and tap not a drop of power to fill your created structure.

Your frustration spikes, and you reach out and claim the structure regardless of its lack of power, and shove it into your Crest.

Maybe it'll be of some use anyways.

[Gain Limited -2P/+2C Essence of Nek. When used, caps the maximum Power of its spell to 3.]

Mmmph.  I suppose it was too much to expect the cat to make me that strong in one go.

..I'll give the cat one more chance and then try to figure somethign else out myself.

"I'm in favor of just going straight through the middle of things.  Hit there, and then check the fancy points at the edge
..This is a really good map.  Thanks, Witch!"

"I'll also try to get that essence of Persistance together.  I almost had it, but I didn't get the power up to fill it."

Repeat!  Essence of Zelthenegen

Keep walking with the team, whichever way we go.

You know you can be strong. You know you should be strong. But it seems like there's only so much the cat-thing can do for you in that regard. Or maybe it's something that builds up, starting weak and growing mighty.

You have an inkling, though, that maybe you can make yourself strong, without the help, if you just find the right Words, or the will to do so.

(Power: 4)

And that means claiming persistence for yourself. A building block for your future plans.

You forge your Essence and fill it with power. A little weaker than you wish it was, but it'll do quite well.

[Gain +1P/+1C Essence of Zelthenegen.]

Luna's Vestige picks herself up off the ground awkwardly, wiping the ashen blood from her face.  But despite the gray liquid leaking out of her eyes, her irises shine a vivid blue.

"I have wonderful news!  We can teleport!"

She wipes the rest of the blood from her face, though a streak remains around one of her eyes, like badly-applied makeup.  She doesn't seem to notice.

"Well, kind of.  And it was really hard to go even that far.  But we can!  It's just a matter of wanting it enough.  That's really cool!  It might save one of us in a rough spot!"

It takes the girl a few seconds to realize the others aren't as interested in her discovery, and are rather paying attention to Witch's map.  She doesn't seem to mind, though; she starts to inspect it with the same level of excitement.

"This is a really good map, well done.  It's really weird, it's like I can hear it?  I wonder what else we can communicate.  Ah, we should split up, to investigate faster!  And test how well we can communicate at a distance.  Would any of you be up for partnering with me?"

Move along with the party, SEES.  It's the most efficient path no matter where we go.  At some point while walking, cast an experimental spell: "Ulvulme tarle diaboldatact vzzrl."

Well, regardless of the suffering you've put yourself through, you've learned something interesting! And that's what really matters.

In the same spirit as your previous action, you have an experimental spell to try. Hopefully the results will be enlightening!

(Power: 6)

You draw a torrent of power and shape it with a fervent will. The concepts you have bound will comply.

A large flask made of sleek, shiny petrified wood materializes in your hand. It seems to be corked with a stopper made of the same material, fitting into whirling groves such that you can twist it to take it out or put it in. Within the flask is an oil-like liquid that flows like water, a dark purple in coloration. A braided cord of purple energy is tied around the neck of the flask, leading to a loop you can secure to your wrist, or hold around your neck, or tie to a scarf. It's quite convenient to carry.

Interestingly, the purple energy shows no sign of fading whatsoever.

What exactly have you made here...?

You'll have to find out.

My attention lingers on the teammate that attempted to teleport, as well as on their injuries, and the results of their efforts, before returning to the question of where we should go and if we should split up.

I really wish I had a way to try to help heal them.

"I guess we could split up a bit to test communications, but I think we're a lot safer as a team and a single big group, so I'd like to regroup before going very far."

I begin moving South->East->East->South with everyone else

So it seems like a lot of ourselves and even magic in general is kinda based on what we think and feel about it, rather than some hard-and-fast rules. So I'd guess that means even our spells will be shaped by them. That might explain why it seems like if I want a spell result to "fire" out at something I have to "fire" it. It's because I know the different meanings of "fire". So if I pre-image what spell effect I'm planning on making, maybe...

I then attempt to carefully image in my mind the desired result of the spell that I'm about to cast

First, I choose to focus on the general structure, I'm attempting to make a bronze spear that fires fire. Then the important details, the flame shot out from the tip of the spear should be reactive to the wielder's needs and desires, not simply constantly shooting off. And finally, I add in the non-critical imagery, the smooth but sharp leaf shape of the tip, the spiraling design of light and flame that goes down the shaft allowing the weapon a measure of beauty without sacrificing function, the length of it relative to my size so that it fits me well, the fine balance of the weapon allowing me to manuver it comfortably, and the intricate internal structure reinforcing the weapon throughout while also reducing overall weight. As a closing step, I go back in reverse and make sure that I have down the important details and the general structure well, bookending the imaging process with the most critical aspects of what I'm planning to make so that I will retain these details in my head as well as possible.

And once I've finished the process and am confident that I'm ready, I go ahead and cast while using the essence I just made and while maintaining the above image of what I'm trying to make:
"Magi TokTok Taqquin <Taqquin>"

What if... magic is made of more than just the Words and the Power you bring to bear, and the Control you exert?

The ideas behind the magic seem to hold some influence, still. A signature weapon would be quite nice, wouldn't it?

You draw out a detailed visualization of the spell you wish to cast, and you layer that over the structures of the Words you tie together.

You bring your Heart to bear.

(Heart: 3)
(Control: 3+1+1=5)

For a brilliant moment, the perfect weapon hangs in front of you. A bronze spear, tip ignited with flame, perfectly shaped for your hands, a shining weapon ready to destroy whatever you wish to strike.

Then the image is gone, because the mold you crafted was never filled.

But it was easier to make the mold than it should have been - even given the Essence you expended.

Yes, maybe you're onto something.

Heavenly Clerk looks mildly disappointed that they couldn't summon a frying pan "Awwwww come on! Right well... lets uh stick together for now! Ill uh... try again during the trip... also what you all talking about anyway? Not that I was zoning out or anything! Just uh... focusing on other things!"

Move with the rest of the group and try to summon a frying pan again... wait I gotta say the words shoot uh... Requiem right? I swear feels like its been weeks!

Okay! Take two! You're headed into danger no doubt, and you need a proper weapon for smacking Outsiders with!

A frying pan (a small one, a skillet really) made of brown energy lands in your waiting hand. It sure could be bigger... but it's good enough for a few whacks, and it's not like it'll fade soon.

Your expert eye estimates it'll last around [6 Turns] before breaking apart. Better keep track of that. You're a proper therapist, not some amateur who loses their gear willy-nilly.

You all walk down a cracked asphalt road. While you can only see so far ahead of you, given the walls of ghastly grove-houses, the map projected on your minds won't lead you astray.

Things seem somehow gloomier. Darker. You can still see, but this isn't a place where people live. Or at least, nothing resembling your ideas of what people are.

There aren't any auras of hatred and malice and destruction - no Outsiders, at least not yet.

But you know you're unwelcome. You had best be ready for what's coming - whatever that may be.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 2
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2023, 07:13:55 pm »

Spoiler: updating INS.exe... (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2023, 07:15:23 pm »

"I think carefully imagining what spell result you want will make it easier to shape it. At least, it seemed like that just now when I tried it."
Craft another essence of Taqquin
Travel South->South->South->East

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spell notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 02:12:41 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2023, 07:18:33 pm »

Better than nothing. She slips the earmuffs over her ears, hoping to block out at least some noise.

"Cat. How shall I embody Reaoh in my personal development? This seems to be a step to becoming more powerful and increasing the efficiency of dispersing Outsiders."

That Essence should be safe to use, at least. "Gottem <Nek>", she casts her palm at the asphalt, picturing a perfect bubble of water.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:21:03 pm by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2023, 12:12:09 am »

"I think I've got a solid essence of Persistance here.. I think it could make stuff last much longer.  I used it in that long-lasting homing arrow spell."

"Does anyone have any good words for buffs?  I'd be willing to trade this essence for that.. and find out if that's even possible."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2023, 02:35:39 pm »

"I think I've figured out a word to make things sharp, but I still have a lot of words to test right now. It seems like words can mean multiple very different things sometimes. Like I have a word for fire that both makes things flaming and fires them at stuff. So if you can play word games a bit I think you can get some really different results."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25