Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread  (Read 2176 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 12:28:31 pm »

It's probably ok, but it's going to be pretty big with army pallets. I might make some adjustment. And I'll probably add in a window/communal doodle pad. Thanks for getting this in so quick!

Edit: (Oh I see what you meant by hex now!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:31:09 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 12:37:22 pm »

The hexagonal level idea was to make a honeycomb pattern instead of squares. The advantage would be to allow for more angles of attack, but on second thought I´m afraid it would make turn editing too awkward.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 12:42:34 pm »

The hexagonal level idea was to make a honeycomb pattern instead of squares. The advantage would be to allow for more angles of attack, but on second thought I´m afraid it would make turn editing too awkward.
It would probably be best for a top down game. Moving cardinally is pretty indicative of a side view game.

He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 01:11:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's probably ok, but it's going to be pretty big with army pallets. I might make some adjustment. And I'll probably add in a window/communal doodle pad. Thanks for getting this in so quick!

So I'd probably take it and do something like this:

I'd drop the outside ring and trim some of the center. A bigger/different shaped map is possible, but (to minimize deadspace) I'd want it to fit an extra army pallet or two, and I don't know there's enough demand to justify it. (Also the shiny new frame was just finished. May aswell use, until the playerbase grows....)
I'd add windows to the biggest gaps between the square frame and hex.
Then I'd try to replicate some of the elements, like tele spots and to some degree maze layout, possibly with an open space in mid as before.

Edit: Overall in the spirit of shortening the length of the match, I think it's best travel times aren't increased. If these notes inspire you take a second shot, just get it in in a timely manner...
Upon closer look I can see my windows interfere with your armories, so feel free to incorporate a window(s) by other means.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 01:47:40 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2022, 02:37:27 am »

I like the looks of that big map Quarque made, but I feel it'd play better if we could make more walls and floors than just one per door we own.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2022, 02:55:28 am »

Until the matches start ending faster, I have to put my foot down. Battalion was 100 posts, this was 200, something like that might easily bring it to 400. There will be less burnout if the games are quick.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2022, 03:05:30 am »

Why do the games need to be quick I prefer long games, what's so bad about long running games?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2022, 03:15:01 am »

In my opinion allowing more walls will hardly prolong the game. They're not effective for stalling.

Engineers walk right through them, AND they can remove them in case a wall blocks a door.
Firebats basically ignore them too (they can mow them down for free).
Only soldiers can be slowed down by walls at all (but not stopped).

Increasing the maximum to twice your airlocks for example won't do any harm.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2022, 03:30:53 am »

Why do the games need to be quick? I prefer long games
+1.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2022, 03:35:43 am »

Why do the games need to be quick I prefer long games, what's so bad about long running games?

I am too busy to make a new version, that isn't hourly H&H which is exhausting for long games. If Quarque or someone else wants to attempt it, they have my blessing and especially if is using hexagons or is otherwise differentiated. I have a personal attachment to HH, and this game is already a bold evolution of it. I'm not sure you fully appreciate how fundamental these principals are, and while I don't dismiss that there could be interesting possibilities, I'm too busy. That would be changing the foundation and require a lot of trial and error.

I have both personal affection and continued enthusiasm for HH, I'm just not hungry enough to move past it. Not completely.

In my opinion allowing more walls will hardly prolong the game. They're not effective for stalling.

Engineers walk right through them, AND they can remove them in case a wall blocks a door.
Firebats basically ignore them too (they can mow them down for free).
Only soldiers can be slowed down by walls at all (but not stopped).

Increasing the maximum to twice your airlocks for example won't do any harm.

I don't even know how long the game typically would run in it's current version, a lot changed.

But I'd be more inclined to make a few barriers stronger, than allow more. It also gets harder to count otherwise. *Unless there's a counter proposal to the beacon(matching the mandate), I'm not looking to change much.

*Edit: End of today will be the deadline.

Why do the games need to be quick? I prefer long games
+1.
I would have been fine with going indefinitely, but you guys didn't really like my Evac map transition idea, so I'm now content to just make them discreet matches. Lesson learned.

Edit:

I could have seen the game evolving into a co-op or even character based RP in one path, but now I'm focused on keeping it tight PVP matches.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:57:13 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2022, 04:00:49 am »

Why would we need a new version of the game to have it run longer, I mean as long as everyone is responsible for their part of the game I don't see why it can't work.

Also I still feel that only one wall per owned door is to few, I think it'd be better if we at least got two.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2022, 04:40:55 am »

Z and Q felt the 1 hour was not relaxing enough

Z and A feel longer games are good.

These are contradictory, if I do one, it harms the other. I feel like I've already explained why. Right now, I'd like my energy to go towards updating my other two games(which I've been sorely neglecting), not revisiting this circular argument. I have made a HH, im not interested in making something different at this time, I put as much time as I can afford(and then some) into My Forum Platoon. I'm ok to rehost that make fun tweaks and fine-tune it a bit, but just cus it's easy to say 'make turns more relaxing' or hit backspace on '1' hour and type 2 or 3 etc, that changes a lot. No.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2022, 05:17:35 am »

I'm irritated, let's please not discuss this topic anymore. If that's unsatisfactory, then by all means make a new game. I'm at my limit, there won't even be next match if I am made to despise the project, which this line of dialogue is bringing me at screaming velocity closer to. I've made good points. I've explained my reasoning. I'm doing the best I can. If you need more than that, I've got lint and some paper clips. Check for yourself.

I'm not good at setting limits or boundaries with ppl, normally I would just lock the thread, but obv in this situation, I can't do that. I'm compulsive by nature, and a people pleaser, but I can't please everyone, and I am spent.

Edit: grammar

I just feel like people are irritated with me. This is a lot of work, no one says thank you or they're grateful, so why do I bother? (No need to say it now, nothing worse than a 'guilty' compliment...)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:30:32 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2022, 05:29:40 am »

So, first of all: take a deep breath. Or ten. No one is trying to offend you here.
We like your game and we want it to be the best it can be. You don't, however, owe anyone a game- you're doing this for free in your spare time. Everyone understands that. (And if you feel your boundaries are being violated, say so and we (well, I anyway) will back off.)

Fake edit: I was going to argue my case about longer games, but I won't. Consider this me backing off.

P.S. We don't say this enough on this board, but thank you for running the game.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2022, 05:36:57 am »

(No need to say it now, nothing worse than a 'guilty' compliment...)
I think there is need. No one thanks me for running my games. But they keep coming back for more and that's how I know I've done good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4