Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread  (Read 2180 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« on: September 18, 2022, 09:32:11 am »

OOC thread for a game created and hosted by Roseheart.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:31:24 pm by Quarque »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 09:54:17 am »

Game Thread

Introduction:

H&H?
A 'Hurt & Heal' is a type of game where you typically take no more than one turn an hour, and perform two actions (Heal or Hurt 2 points, or do 1 point of each) to a list until all but one item is eliminated. In this game your two actions will be troop movements whether creating more, moving them, or attacking with them(or some combination).

Picture Wars?
In a Picture Wars game, you control a pixel art army and move them across a map to conquer land and defeat other armies. It is an informal game where storytelling is prioritized over competitiveness. Here what you can do is standardized to be competitive. Though units may still be customized and standard actions can be embellished with nonstandard flare.

This Thread:

OOC Thread
Space Platoon is a very fast moving game. We have a proposal system and combining voting and play is a bit hard to keep track all in one place. Please make proposals here from now on. If the patch notes get too long, I'll archive them here. Quarque has my permission to clean up the rules. They may post edits to them in the first post.

Proposals
Players can propose changes to the game(anything from small tweaks to entire new units or maps! can be effective immediately), if all surviving players agree then the change happens(give your proposal a nickname for easy reference). As creator, I have both the power to deny a proposal out-of-game and add new features without voting(if I present it as a proposal, then it's subject to a vote like normal; I will, typically, only skip the proposal step for remedial updates or executive compromises to avoid stagnation, or the minimal change necessary to keep me invested). If I am not in play, I'll want to review new features before making them official. However, temporarily, proposals can pass and be applied to just the current match without needing my review...Go nuts!

Stalemates
If the creator feels a match has gone on too long they may add any temporary rules that will bring the match to a close, or call a draw. (PM me if necessary)

Penalties/Reparations
If an error can't be sufficiently corrected by means outlined in the rules, and resulted in significant advantage or significant disadvantage for any player, then corrective action may be taken in a fair method and by the appropriate person, as outlined below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New Player Priority
Due to limited space, if a player with less previous participation expresses interested in joining, allow them to join an open spot before you.

Hall of Fame:

Note: At this time My Forum Battalion results will be counted. This may change in the future.

Winners in red.

My Forum Battalion XX00
Participants: a1s, King Zultan, Gwolfski, RoseHeart
Replay

My Forum Platoon / Space Platoon
Participants: King Zultan, RoseHeart, a1s, Quarque
Replay
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 01:41:03 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 11:44:05 pm »

Spoiler: Version 1.0.0 (click to show/hide)
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 02:59:35 am »

So what about that proposal Quarque made for making walls better, has anyone given it any thought because I liked it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 03:21:18 am »

So, wait, are we supposed to evacuate now, or capture airlocks? I'm a bit lost.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 03:34:00 am »

So, wait, are we supposed to evacuate now, or capture airlocks? I'm a bit lost.
That was a proposal to have Quarque's/my map be swapped in, but only I really wanted it...Instead of a new map, there was a map edit to help the game along introducing some new mechanics. The alarm was just flavortext.

I believe the game needs a further rule change. Building walls is currently almost useless, because enemy engineers ignore them completely and the two other units are rare and can shoot them down as a free action. At the same time, it is strange that engineers have no way to remove a wall

To improve this, I would propose (for next game, perhaps):

1. An Engineer can not move through a non-aligned wall (or floor).
2. Any unit can spend an action to remove a wall (or floor), except if it is black (those are "hard walls").
3. An Engineer can build as many walls (or floors) of their own color as they like.
I'm ok with 2. For 1, I want Engis to move through black barriers aswell, or there's no point(all units move through aligned walls)...otherwise 1 is fine. 3 is a hard no...this game has gone on twice the previous one, and I don't want special stalemate-ending rules to be the norm.

Overall, improving offensive options, not defensive is the priority. If we were holding off waves of weak npc enemies it would make more sense, not human players moving a couple units per real life hour.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 04:30:23 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 04:15:50 am »

So if engineers can move through them what's the point of them?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 04:19:13 am »

To block gunfire and the movement of ranged units.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 04:27:53 am »

And with that info they only seem to be good against blocking movement and stopping soldiers from shooting people, as it seems like the flamethrower guys should be able shoot through them like they can the black walls.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 04:32:26 am »

Correct.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 04:35:57 am »

So why not let people build more walls? They seem underpowered...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 08:24:48 am »

1.0.2: Gunna just say a unit can't move after teleporting.
That's not a clarification, that's a new rule. Please increment the version number (also, shouldn't we have voted on this?)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 08:25:04 am »

Hmm, that was pretty cool. It was against the rules, but...Should I allow boomerang teleports? Discuss.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 08:28:34 am »

1.0.2: Gunna just say a unit can't move after teleporting.
That's not a clarification, that's a new rule. Please increment the version number (also, shouldn't we have voted on this?)
It was a new rule created solely for the purpose of better clarity. In that grey area, I'd rather round down. (Version number is mainly a device for my own notekeeping, being a notification is just a bonus)

(I can see how if I didn't make you stop after teleporting, new players may try to go back in to do what Q did, it was—I felt —the easiest solution, where one was needed urgently short-term.)

I made the change as creator. It wasn't a proposal.

But now that I feel the intended gameplay has been more closely restored, now I am open to considering new rules for teleporting.

I think it was neat, I just worry it may not feel that way after the 10th or 100th time.

It is pro-offense, which we need, so I lean in favor slightly, depending on others' arguments.

Edit: One thing I don't like about boomerang teleports is it would be somewhat obligatory to visually or verbally explain what you did.

Edit2: I've differentiated 2nd and 3rd version places into Progressive and Conservative game mechanics. This will also apply to proposals that either stretch or simplify the game, for example the secure vent bolts would be considered conservative mechanics. It was moreso fine-tuning. Something like the remote bomb would be progressive mechanics. 4th will be revisions, etc.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:17:07 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 08:58:17 am »

Nah, we ruled that boomerang teleporting is not allowed, I'm fine with keeping it that way now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4