Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Am I missing something? Everything?  (Read 1610 times)

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Am I missing something? Everything?
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »

I'm new to adventure mode, but having run a few failed, and then one moderately successful fortress, I felt like kicking down a dungeon door or two.

But I've either run into a bug, or I'm REALLY dense, because, well, I can't seem to locate any towns, get any quests, or trade with any merchants.  Which sort of takes some of the fun out of adventuring, as you might imagine.

I created a character from the same dwarven kingdom as my big fortress.  I then started on the outskirts of a dwarven fort, and once I figured out that the cliff was down, not right, I wandered in and had a look around.

Everyone, *including the merchants* tells me to go find a merchant to trade.  The Mayor is not interested in "Service".

So I wandered across country, and a few characters later (alligators, leopards, and (sob) a gazelle), I realized that the asterisks on the main map were settlements.

But the human settlements seem to consist solely of a patch of land with a piece of trampled dirt (road?) across the centre, and about a dozen humans wandering around.  The one merchant I have found was uninterested.

This is true of each of 6 or so settlements I've tested.  

Have I just been extremely unlucky, and run into an antimaterialist tribe of nomadic hunter-tramplers?  Or possibly I'm missing a magic key? (I use '>' to go from main map to settlement)

I built the world and played using 0.21.104.21b, but after having these problems I upgraded to 0.21.105.21a, by copying the save folder over into the new game directory.

Okay, I'm prepared:  Make me feel really, really dumb  :)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Am I missing something? Everything?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:47:00 pm »

Well, I don't think that there are shops currently in dwaven or Elf(not sure here) towns but human towns should have a few...
Did you try actually going up or down from the road? thats where all the buildings are.
Ok now this seems a little unliky but, you do know that the screen scrolls up down left and right when you are in a town?(or anyplace for that matter) because it sounds to me like you have just walked on the road and not really looked around much.

Hope I was some help.   :)

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:16:00 pm »

If by scrolling, you mean that the screen recenters on you as you approach the edge, yup, I knew that.

An entire typical town adventure would be:

- Move on top of a * on the main map - let's say the town that other Humans have named as their capital.
- Press '>' and appear on the smaller-scale map amid dry grass and mudholes.
- Start walking around.  Meet a couple dozen humans, most soldiers, the rest unhelpful.
- Systematically visit every part of the local map (takes about 4 minutes or so).  I used to run off the sides / bottom of the local map since they seem to be unmarked, but I've learned the trick of using 'C' to recenter on me as I approach an edge: if it's a map edge, I'll stay off-center.
- Eventually try walking off of each of the four map edges.
- Go back and serach for special map tiles in case I'm missing a door or something.

For reference, I think the local map is perhaps 5 screens wide and maybe a dozen or so high?  Completely covered in grass, mud, occasional trees.  Populated by a dozen or two humans, most soldiers, some unlabelled, occasionally a merchant.  And often a horse and a cow or two.

Thanks for your quick reply  :)

(I adventured off to a cave in the meantime because they seem to be the only places to get water... I can drink from the cave river between mudmen)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 11:55:00 pm »

There are generally a bunch of buildings near the road, especially shops and a mead hall.  I'm not sure what's going on.  If you re-gen the world it'll probably work, but it should be working now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DimmurWyrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 02:01:00 am »

I've had a similar problem with dwarven towns... The only buildings are around 10 apartment complexes nothing else. Also I tried experimenting with abandoning a fortress and then trying to find said fortress by starting at the capital that the coins show when I mint them... So far as I can tell the capital is right on the western edge of the map (no wraparound?) while the fort is somewhere else that can scroll right and left up and down and I simply cannot figure out where it is in relation to the capital hehe... (I die eventually before I can find it. although I often last a long while.)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 02:19:00 am »

Your fortresses arn't nessesarly going to be that close to their parent nation, as whe you go out you choose any of about 50 differnt starting places that are spread throughout the whole world...

What i did was just get lucky when asking people in human towns about surrounding and one told me where the fort was.

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 02:31:00 am »

A new world, created using the latest version, has buildings, mechants, etc.  Hooray!

If this represents a latent bug that you haven't solved, I'd be happy to forward the savegame if it helps.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

The savegame won't really help here...  the abstract building defs are gone, and it could have happened in any number of ways.

Dwarven/elven towns have nothing in them, except at the capital, where you can get quests from the leader, should you find the leader...  it's especially hard in the elf towns.

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »

I was wondering... the towns and capitals are rather small. Are there any plans on improving them... making them bigger and more real feeling? Maybe even covering multiple regions?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Explorer:
<STRONG>I was wondering... the towns and capitals are rather small. Are there any plans on improving them... making them bigger and more real feeling? Maybe even covering multiple regions?</STRONG>

Hahaha oh gods yes.   Read the development notes and be absolutely floored by all of the awesome things coming.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

It'll take a while though...  there's also a size limitation on the capitals, due to the Z coordinate.  They'll probably occur in several sections, or something like that, both within one world square and also in adjacent world squares.  Making one seamless capital with giant dungeons and giant towers with 500 people would be nice but is probably just out of bounds of what it could stand...  depends on how giant giant is.

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »

So if cities are going to cover multiple squares, you might as well make them awesomely large... like with thousands of people in the larger cities.  :)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 02:32:00 am »

Big is good!