Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 102

Author Topic: Webadict's Supernatural - Game Over: Day of the Burning Sun  (Read 47652 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Webadict's Supernatural - Day 1: The Burning Sun [13 / 13]
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2022, 05:07:21 am »

Ugh. It’s 6 AM right now. I hate high school.

Probably Jack? I remember sussing him for a good reason earlier, but I forgot exactly what, and I’m in too much of a rush to figure it out again

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2022, 05:27:46 am »

4mask
But my role interacts with monster-type abilities and has a separate clause that it has a different effect if I target a member of the wolf team, so I’m inclined to take Leng’s claim at face value.
Please could you be more specific, I know you're using international standard mafia lingo, but in Supernatural there can be both wolf and non-wolf scum teams. So are you claiming werewolf hunter / do you claim to have any info on the scum team (and if so why didn't you lead with that)? I'm assuming you're talking generically about an anti-town faction. Do you know it's a team (not a Magus)? Does it work on serial killers etc? I would quite like to know if it's werewolves we're facing!

KW
Ugh. It’s 6 AM right now. I hate high school.

Probably Jack? I remember sussing him for a good reason earlier, but I forgot exactly what, and I’m in too much of a rush to figure it out again
That's fine, I can't think at that time in the morning either, but when you figure it out let us know.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2022, 06:04:14 am »

Anyone who played/read one of the previous Supernaturals able to explain some of the possible cults we might be facing?
Full-blown cults are unlikely given how unpopular they are, but limited one-shot conversion is very likely. See my breakdown of the previous games. Cults and converters like Dark Magus and Scum Priest have appeared in 6/10 of the previous Supernaturals.

I'm amused that Jim's typical thing for me to do (along with nqt and 4mask) was basically "win".
This is gratifying, as when I first started playing mafia I began with a losing streak of about 13 games. Looks like I've well and truly overcome my curse.

Almost finished my big reads list, but it seems a bit premature to give a ranking before Tric and Egan have even posted, so will hold off until the Yanks have time to wake up.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2022, 06:07:52 am »

So you admit to being a liar, who should therefore be lynched! notquitethere!

I thought you didn't vote anybody on Day 1 unless you were super serious about it and after you had spent time contemplating it.
Yeah, I just felt like messing with NQT for some reason. Like I said last game, I'm never the same person twice. I was scum then, but it was still true.
Okay, Knightwing, if you're town, you need to step it up again.

If you're scum, continue as you are.
So far I find this Knightwing adequate. Not going to vote you out today.

These posts about Knightwing64 bother me. What was it about what Knightwing64 did that triggered you to tell him to shape up? There wasn't that much time between his first set of posts and when you told him to shape up.
I find this position difficult to understand. You have seen me repeatedly flashread Knightwing, almost always successfully unless I'm scum doing it wrong on purpose, and then you have seen me horribly misfire on Armed Forces Mafia, at which point I decided to stop doing that anymore. So in this case, what I'm saying is that his silly disengaged random-commentary posts, like this literal one-word post of no value whatsoever which looks exactly like his usual scum modus:
Wot
would USUALLY make me scumread him, but I'm giving him a chance to convince me otherwise since apparently he still does that as town sometimes. After I said this, he did start trying harder so I'm setting him aside for now.

EuchreJack, I appreciate you townreading me, but I will never agree with your silly read organizing hangup. I order my lists however I feel like.

Maximum Spin - Very minimalistic posts. Opening single post was information-dense, and questions have been well placed and reasonable. Feels like Town that is hiding something for the good of the town, but is still hiding something.
Yeaaaaaaaah, fair. I'm not really "hiding something" so much as "keeping cards close d1", but yeah, I know some stuff I don't know about saying yet.

PPE: Lenglon’s list seems to be variations on “hasn’t posted enough to get a solid read”. I also don’t like the expectations of activity on those reads, less than 24h into D1, when activity is NAI.
I mean, activity is absolutely AI for a couple of these players.
Why do people need to claim not-town and make me hugely suspicious of them on D1 *sigh* I’ll probably need to revisit this when I’m awake. Is it just me or does it come across as wanting to be scumread?
I do get that feeling.

I don't really like Lenglon here, but I'm not going to vote because I'm not sure where all the other votes are and I'm definitely not checking right now. But I'll unvote NQT for now.

I would quite like to know if it's werewolves we're facing!
I firmly assert that there is, at least, AN evil witch.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2022, 06:26:00 am »

Max and the Evil Witch
I have a power that implies there's some kind of evil witch.
There are a number of possibilities if you're telling the truth:

Cultist have normal town roles as well
- Sometimes there's a Lone Witch, so instead of being a mason, they're a watcher
There's a killer cult (or equivalent) scum team, one of whom has the (lone) witch role in addition to their scum role, which in the past has been a kind of watcher.

[X] Serial Killer: As we've seen an existing roles (werebear, necromancer) be repurposed as a serial killer, I wouldn't be too surprised to see this happen again. Could even have a wererat serial killer.
There's a lone witch serial killer.

Magic Brotherhood - 1/11 previous games

Magic-themed town roles (Witch, Wizard, Fortune teller). Can mark a hex on one night and then invoke that hex on another to kill. This team has only appeared in the semi-bastard.
The scum team is a magic brotherhood or similar.

- The monster hunter is usually a hunter of a specific monster (vampire or werewolf) and they can inspect players to see if they are that monster (+ they have a kill). In Supernatural 8 there was a Vampire Hunter in a game without any vampires. As such, their inspect would never be positive.
There is no witch and your role is misdirection (as in Supernatural 8).

Speculation
What we haven't seen before is a pair of witch masons where one or both start the game as evil. Their role is they have a chat and know for sure that the other is town (until one of them gets converted, that is). I suppose a witch mason team could be the scum team (Web has obviously made some substantial changes to the setup). Be funny if there were three scum, two of whom had a separate chat. Until we see what kind of kills pop up / night action reports, this is part is just speculation.

PPE:
Just got to this! Are you certain there's just one of them?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2022, 06:43:55 am »

PPE:
Just got to this! Are you certain there's just one of them?
Nope, hence "at least". I don't even assert that I think there's only one.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2022, 06:49:52 am »

Yes I see, I'm groggy with a cold atm, my mind is not up to scratch today.

Okay but now it seems you're certain there's at least one. In your original post on this you just said the power implied there was an evil witch, i.e. you could be in the situation as in Supernatural 8 with the vampire hunter when there's no vampires... so which is it?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2022, 07:29:18 am »

Yes I see, I'm groggy with a cold atm, my mind is not up to scratch today.

Okay but now it seems you're certain there's at least one. In your original post on this you just said the power implied there was an evil witch, i.e. you could be in the situation as in Supernatural 8 with the vampire hunter when there's no vampires... so which is it?
I am not a witch hunter. It would be pretty weird if there is no evil witch, but not inconceivable. I feel comfortable firmly asserting it, but I wouldn't say I'm certain.

Perhaps it is you.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2022, 07:39:53 am »

Did I miss an increase in photo memes these days? Not saying there's a problem with it, just noticing a trend.

EuchreJack:
if there's one mafia that converts a vig tonight
I think that's plausible.
God, if I had known how many Supernatural games featured cults, I probably would have abstained from this mess. Fuck cults.

Anyone who played/read one of the previous Supernaturals able to explain some of the possible cults we might be facing?
Pretty sure Meph (and also Web) have talked about conversions being too powerful in the set up in previous games, so these days conversion powers on the scum team tends to be a single use ability. As I recall the Dark Magus in S7 and 10 had a one-shot convert but to counter that there was just one person until they used the convert power. I mainly know this because I was a little too gung-ho on the possibility of the scumteam being able to convert in a previous game.

I feel its important to clarify that a cult in mechanical terms is different from the mafia team being a cult in flavor. Supernatural has had scumteams that have been a cult mechanically, and a cult flavorwise, but as I recall the vampires and the dark magus are the ones with conversion powers. So when folks are talking about cults, they may be talking about one or the other. When I talk about cults, I'm generally talking about game flavor, not mechanics.

EuchreJack - Need to see a bit more. Leaning town from what I've seen but I expect a bit more energy.
Unfortunately, I'm now a working stiff, super busy, and more mature as a player.  I don't have it in me to give you much more than what you've been seeing.
Reminder: TRYHARDERJim is Scum!Jim
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Especially since you're engaging Jim on not doing enough a few posts later?

Toonyman:
@Persus13:
Given that you've played at least 7 out of the 10 regular Supernatural games, what's your favorite moment from those, and what's a mistake you hope not to repeat for this game?
I don't really remember. I think there was one where I carried town and we won so I like that one.

*A few minutes later*

I checked, it was Supernatural 7. We went to Day 7 and I was alive for lylo and we won as town taking down the Dark Magus Persus13:
Yeah I guess he's the only mafia left, otherwise it'd be game over.

Persus13
I feel roasted unprovoked. Guess I walked into that?

As for mistakes I don't wish to repeat, some of them are out of my control, like if there's one mafia that converts a vig tonight I'm just going to be mad because finding one scum is annoyingly hard already with so many players and then the extra kill power would push me beyond upset. I don't think Web would do that, but he'd maybe subvert it in some way. There's a lot of Monster stuff going on here.

If we had listened to Luckyowl on D1 of Supernatural 10 and lynched Web we would have been most likely victorious, but we didn't. So maybe I need to take into account even the most inexperienced player's opinion for success. I can't be too dismissive of things that are actually possible, especially when a lynch is happily going through and nobody but the person being lynched is doing anything. Contentment is probably our demise.
That game was not my favorite, yeah. I almost always start second-guessing myself when a lynch seems that easy.

NQT
I get the appeal of trying to figure out the game flavor/mechanics, but isn't it a little early to be doing that since we don't have the start of D2 flavor yet?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2022, 07:43:26 am »

“Silly, one word post’s?”

It’s called not being a fucking robot, it’s a game, and I don’t have to be serious 100 percent of the time.

You make posts with no meaning to the game seemingly just for fun even more then I do, Max.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2022, 07:52:23 am »

It’s called not being a fucking robot, it’s a game, and I don’t have to be serious 100 percent of the time.

You make posts with no meaning to the game seemingly just for fun even more then I do, Max.
I get being defensive since it seems like Max goes after you a lot, but to be fair he does seems to be trying not as much this game.

Any thoughts on the game besides Max commenting on your one word posts at present?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2022, 08:10:29 am »

I want to vote Hector for fundamentally disagreeing with what they're saying, but I don't know if that makes them scum. They haven't done the scumtell I've picked up on from last game so I think they're okay. I will say it if I pick up on it.

I'll vote TricMagic, what's going on dude? Gonna claim Knight again?
No, gonna claim
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for me up to this post. I'm going to put my suspisions on Max/Jack/Toony as the 3p team. Toony is last, Max is first.

Well, not really, but why vote me?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2022, 08:11:35 am »

if there's one mafia that converts a vig tonight
I think that's plausible.
God, if I had known how many Supernatural games featured cults, I probably would have abstained from this mess. Fuck cults.

Hey, where is Egan_BW?
Another player that I worry about when they disappear, but not as much as Tric.

... Why in the world are you worried about me all of a sudden? Thats... very odd for townjack.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2022, 08:18:21 am »

Try harder to be a robot, then.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2022, 08:18:44 am »

Okay thank you. I still want you launched from the game, but mostly now because you've been unnecessarily rude.

> Lenglon claims to only want to tell truth
> I do the only logical move and try to catch them in a lie if they're scum
> Lenglon thinks this is idiocy

Make it make sense.

Honesty

There, it makes sense now. Them being neutral third party makes sense at least. Remember the Fairy Godfather? While they aren't Good, they aren't Evil either. I'd put them down as a survivor.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 102