Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting fast legendary skills  (Read 1328 times)

Krogothe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Getting fast legendary skills
« on: September 24, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »

I was wondering if anyone knows fast ways for the remaining skills. Heres what i do:

-Throwing:
Go to a capital or somewhere safe, and press g at each square you move until you find one that only has a small rock. It will be your supply square, since you can pick up ammo with one click. press G at that spot really fast till you have a few hundred ammo. Now hold aleft finger over t and two right ones over some letter that will select ammo and enter. ensure the ammo finger is slightly lower than the enter finger. Now just bash the buttons really fast XD. youll get to leg. in under 3-4 mins depending on your speed.

-Ambushing
Go next to a pond, start sneaking and put a weight over your arrow keys, you should be spazzing out in circles. Check back every so often and eat small creatures (beetles, butterflies etc) and drink swamp water when hungry/thirsty. This one takes longer but doesnt give you RSI  :)

-Wrestlying
This is the easiest one to raise. Find a nice lone zombie, grab his head with your weapon, then strangle him. This allows you to strangle again and again him by just pressing a move arrow in his direction instead of going through the wrestling menu. Once youre tired, move around a little to rest (yeah stupid i know), and repeat, takes about 10 mins tops, while raising armor and shield skills all the same. Also make sure you do this last so you take no damage from the strangled zombie because of your agility/toughness

For weapon skills just go to an undead ruin and do the same as the ambush training except you arent hiding. Mountains of undead will come and wont hurt you at all if your other skills are high. leave and reenter the area to respawn them (worked for me)

The whole thing takes less than an hour, and though some might say its boring/cheating, its worth it for the sheer fun/laugh factor of being a superdwarf (dont pick humans/elves they suck).
You can now go off, sneak to within 1 square of any enemy at super speed, throw a beetle at them, watching their head blow up while launching them into a far away tree with a satisfying splat.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting fast legendary skills
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:28:00 pm »

Summary: game needs major balance fixes.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:50:00 pm »

If you're trying to train weapon skills, you should go looking for the weakest weapon archetype possible, with the lowest quality possible, and the worst material possible.

For sword skill, that would be a large copper dagger or, if that proves too hard to find [as it only comes from master thieves], a copper short sword.

You want to get as many swings as possible at your enemy before he falls down / passes out. I once increased my whip skill by 3 levels by beating an iron man with a copper whip.

If you want to train your shield and armor use skills, the best way I've found to do that is to go into a ruin and kill undead until there's only one of them near you. Set your default attack to close combat with [c] and lay on the ground, and walk into a tree. The undead will swing at you insistently and, because you are lying on the ground, you will block the attacks with your shield instead of dodging them. If you start to get hurt / tired, kill that guy and find another one.

[ September 24, 2006: Message edited by: grendel ]

[ September 24, 2006: Message edited by: grendel ]

Escobar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »

This seems a little unbalanced... you can grind throwing skill by throwing rocks at the ground, but hacking at prone monsters with your favorite weapon doesn't increase your skill...

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:03:00 am »

Only counterstrikes increase skill, so you should move towards a wall again and again while under attack to increase weapon skill.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

Wait, only *counterstriking* increases weapon skill? That seems... a little silly.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 01:55:00 pm »

no wonder my weapon skill is always so low compared to my other skills. Ill just have to try that, just move into a wall and have enemies attack at me. This will also increase my armor and shield levels too.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

Lay down while you do it, too.  Some foes can get in 6 strikes.

'Course, it's all just an exercise in absurdity.  Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 06:42:00 am »

Hmm. I just noticed that having high weapon skills seems to reduce the chances of the weapon sticking -- very important for a spear wielder. I noticed this because I've been looting a couple ruins, and my spear doesn't get stuck as often. This might also have to do with the spear quality -- I did go buy a new one halfway through the first ruin...
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!