Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Battlefield 3  (Read 5875 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Battlefield 3
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2022, 05:56:42 pm »

"You're as likely to run out of cards as actually beat me this way."

Mystery Ghost haunts the second refinery too. Another is also played.(2,1,1, giving it 3 attack and 2 hearts)

Code: (Erik) [Select]
Hearts: 18
Hand: 4
Stars: 6
Deck: 31
Spoiler: Board (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Discard (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:25:48 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2022, 06:11:26 pm »

Dalloc draws.
"Hmh, best chance I'm going to get."

"I play Nightly Sweep"

Night falls on the Backstreets. Dalloc's board all but disappears in darkness, only the lights of the refineries providing any visibility. Then, from the darkness, red. Glowing, baleful red. Red eyes, red tanks, red blades. Steam whistles and there is mechanical groaning as things barely visible pour from the darkness, their blades slice into the three buildings, tearing through metal and stone like hot knives through butter. Literally, where the blades make contact, metal and stone melt. The buildings are raided as screams echo from inside, one still barely stands unbroken, as only a pair of Sweepers remain behind. Turning their attention from the meat to the enemy.

"End turn."
Code: (Stats.Dalloc) [Select]
Hearts: 17
Hand: 8
Stars: 13
Deck: 17

(edit, realized I'd been forgetting some new cards in my hand and some star gain this past couple turns, did some housekeeping on that front)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:17:47 pm by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2022, 06:24:06 pm »

"Destroying your own cards now?"

"My Wooly will hit one of your sweepers. Meanwhile Ghost 2 haunts a building to ruin and Ghost 1 attacks the injured sweeper."

Stars: 6
Deck: 30

Bedtime.
From behind the wooly and ghost take one down, even as a refinery blows up, smoke and flames surging.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:26:57 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2022, 06:46:09 pm »

"If it works..."
Dalloc draws. Her claws begin to tighten.

"I play Stygian Skiff, which allows me to play Ghost Eel."

In the wake of death and ruin, the ferryman comes to lead off the souls of the departed, and brings with him... an Eel.

"End turn."
Hand: 7
Deck: 16

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2022, 06:55:31 pm »

The horizon brightens, and dawn arrives.

"If what works? My ghost attacks your ferryman, while my wooly catches itself an eel. I'll also flip my Maiden over and send her to a long desired rest."

The ferry sunk low by the very ghosts it seeks, the wooly drags out an eel and goes off somewhere with glinting eyes.

Stars: 3
Deck: 29

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2022, 07:10:00 pm »

"'If it works it works.' Is what I meant."

Dalloc draws. She doesn't breathe deep, being that she doesn't breathe at all, but the way her screens simply blank-out makes one imagine she would have.

"I Card Cast Unintentional Bombardment onto my Sweeper."

Glowing rainbow light settles into a green card sinking into the Sweeper

"Then play two WARP Recovery Crew's"

Two cocky looking ladies with crackling weapons emerge from a rift.

"My Sweeper attacks your Firebase"
The Sweeper charges, more like a feral beast than the person it... appears to be, it carves a gash into the side of the base and dives in, wet squelches and gargled screams are heard, before it retreats back through the hole it had made, tank just a bit fuller.

"End turn."
Hand: 5
Deck: 16

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2022, 07:25:56 pm »

"Kay.  Firebase, load The Round"
Damaged it may be, the Firebase loads their final shot. As it counts down, a single tear is shed. It launched a great misile into the sky, heralding the day. Before coming straight down on the sweeper and annihilating the entire field.

"With the field cleared, I'll play another sheep."

(Dear Supernerd, Firebase can chaincast it's shot. What's the interaction with Bombardment? I'd assume it's played at the same timing that the secondary shot can be used?)

Stars: 3(2)
Deck: 28
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:31:30 am by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2022, 07:49:51 pm »

Lets see here... The text on the firebase indicates that you may pay 1 Star to activate the ability again. Thus my ruling would be that the results from the first shot would be processed before the second one takes effect. In this case Bombardment would trigger as soon as the Sweeper is shot.

Hopefully I didn't just set the precedent for something horrible.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2022, 07:53:40 pm »

Bombardment is played when Sweeper leaves the field. But are spells instant with no room to react to them? In that case, it would interupt my shot anyway since paying to activate the effect again occurs directly after the shot at the start of the turn?

Just confused what ruling you say is the case.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2022, 07:57:24 pm »

Yeah, this is the sort of thing that makes TCGs so complicated to figure out how to balance. Generally if you want to interrupt a card being played in a TCG, there is a window to do so, but you need to use a card that is specifically able to be played in that window. Counterspells and the like

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2022, 07:59:30 pm »

The text of "Card caster" states "When that card leaves play, the banished card is played". Thus, Bombardment would be played the moment that Sweeper leaves play which would be as soon as it takes the 7 damage. The 7 damage happens before the ability can be played again, thus bombardment would take effect before the star is paid.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2022, 08:01:38 pm »

Main issue is that if a card removed from the field can't resolve it's effect. That's a question I have. If so, is Bombardment a valid target to send it off, even though it has no hearts? If not, then paying the cost is viable even at 0 hearts, as it's not left the field yet.

K. As above, spells can activate at 0 hearts just fine. Being at 0 hearts doesn't really inhibit effects. So a ruling here would be creature cards can't activate effects at 0 hearts even if other conditions are fulfilled?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 08:03:37 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2022, 08:13:45 pm »

Main issue is that if a card removed from the field can't resolve it's effect. That's a question I have. If so, is Bombardment a valid target to send it off, even though it has no hearts? If not, then paying the cost is viable even at 0 hearts, as it's not left the field yet.

K. As above, spells can activate at 0 hearts just fine. Being at 0 hearts doesn't really inhibit effects.
Generally, that's because the effect is one that activates automatically when the card enters play, or as a consequence of reaching 0 hearts. The difference is this one is an effect that has to be activated manually. Like, consider Magic the Gathering. If a card receives lethal damage, one doesn't get to just say "okay but hold on, let me tap it to activate this ability first, then I'll send it to my Graveyard", that's something any player would readily call an opponent out for doing.

Of course, this isn't MtG, and I won't speak for Supernerd on this front, but generally it's considered bad or awkward game design to allow a card to just ignore its destruction until after its player has decided they got enough value out of it. Of course, this is where the card Fog of War gets really awkward, because its effects can be activated 'in any order' implying multiple 'windows' of action taking place in the space of that one cast. Honestly, that's the sort of thing I would have considered vetoing for being too complicated.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2022, 08:17:40 pm »

My main thing is the Firebase reads as something that needs to use it's effect immediately. Is this not the case and it can be activated at any point during the turn? If so, my confusion clears up, as I was reading it as something that has to be done at turn start.

Also to FoW, I read that one as paying for however many effects you want, choosing resolution order. Not something that can just act in reaction to other cards.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2022, 08:21:06 pm »

Also to FoW, I read that one as paying for however many effects you want, choosing resolution order. Not something that can just act in reaction to other cards.
You know, that's the sort of thinking that does really simplify it, even if it does mess with a combo I had considered using at some point with it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11