Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Battlefield 2  (Read 6183 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Battlefield 2
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 07:24:21 pm »

Playing a card does NOT count as flipping it face up, thus it does not return Pacifist Gunslinger Waifu to the hand in this scenario. It is okay to ask for a ruling before you continue with your turn if something is unclear to you.
It wasn't unclear to me, though. It actually doesn't make sense to me that playing a card wouldn't be flipping it face up. If these were physical cards in my hand, then, in order to play it, I would have to literally flip it face up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 07:26:14 pm »

"A truce for now then..."

"The ferryman likes fish."

Gain +1 star

"Don" Emil Rege: 17/20 Hearts. Stars: 1. In play: Mystery Ghost 1a/4h, Big Friendly Ghost 2a/1h, Naglfar 3a/4h
Gruscilla the Bog Witch: 20/20 Hearts ; 3 star. In play: Enkephalin Refinery 0a/2h, Ghost eel #1 2a/2h, Ghost eel #2 2a/2h, Pacifist Gunslinger Waifu 10a/7h, Stygian Skiff 1a/1h
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:22:41 am by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 07:36:09 pm »

(I should have flipped an eel then to be on the safe side, but forgot. Now you're gonna meteor them all, I'm sure. Either way, I'm going to bed now. Fight you in the morning!)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 11:17:59 pm »

It wasn't unclear to me, though. It actually doesn't make sense to me that playing a card wouldn't be flipping it face up. If these were physical cards in my hand, then, in order to play it, I would have to literally flip it face up.
At that point you're getting into the semantics of card games themselves in a way that dramatically alters the balance of the game and also makes the terminology of the very card you played utterly pointless.

In order for "on play" and "the first time flipped" to be separate mechanics, it has to be assumed that a card doesn't count as having been "face down" if it is not on the battlefield, at least without the effect of another card.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:21:18 pm by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 01:50:29 am »

(Am awake again! DO your worst...)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 02:38:02 am »

Thought you'd be longer. Not really prepared yet. But I'll throw this one out there.

Now I am unclear on something, though: does the Naglfar keep working if I keep not attacking? I assumed it didn't but someone in our thread implied the opinion that it does. If so, I'll continue not to attack you.

I've enjoyed making you do this part yourself, but just so I don't lose track,
"Don" Emil Rege: 17/20 Hearts. Stars: 1. In play: Mystery Ghost 1a/4h, Big Friendly Ghost 2a/1h, Naglfar 3a/4h, Beetle Brood 1a/2h
Gruscilla the Bog Witch: 20/20 Hearts ; 3 star. In play: Enkephalin Refinery 0a/2h, Ghost eel #1 2a/2h, Ghost eel #2 2a/2h, Pacifist Gunslinger Waifu 10a/7h,

In order for "on play" and "the first time flipped" to be separate mechanics, it has to be assumed that a card doesn't count as having been "face down" if it is not on the battlefield, at least without the effect of another card.
That's silly. It would still be distinct if I had played it face down - in that case, it would have been played, but not face-up. This interpretation basically renders the card completely worthless, and I think it's stupid.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 03:22:27 am »

If it's any consolation, I have in my hand a card which was nerfed and its power only triggers when being flipped, which it only has support to do on this exact region. So, you have my condolences.

My interpretation of Naflgar is that it triggers whenever you don't attack on a turn, which means you can instigate peace whenever you feel like. I'm fine with that.

"Peace... but at what cost???"

(Yes this is the card I was talking about) Gain 1 star from the refinery.

Instead of attacking, I will flip all my ghost eels upside down (as per the region rules). As it's not an attack, I believe Naglfar does not prevent it. Because Restless Spirit can't attack when I first play, my understanding is it cannot flip this turn, so it doesn't

"Don" Emil Rege: 17/20 Hearts. Stars: 1. In play: Mystery Ghost 1a/4h, Big Friendly Ghost 2a/1h, Naglfar 3a/4h, Beetle Brood 1a/2h
Gruscilla the Bog Witch: 20/20 Hearts ; 4 star. In play: Enkephalin Refinery 0a/2h, Ghost eel #1 2a/2h [flipped], Ghost eel #2 2a/2h [flipped], Pacifist Gunslinger Waifu 10a/7h, Stygian Skiff 1a/1h, Restless Spirit 3a/1h.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:22:56 am by notquitethere »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 08:07:57 am »

To be clear, Naglfar does not permanently lock your opponent out of attacking for the entire game. Once your next turn comes the effect is over and isn't re-triggered.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 09:25:51 am »

Okay, so "this turn" should be interpreted as being only the turn when first playing. No matter, Max can attack or not attack as he sees fit on his turn and play will continue as normal.

I suppose otherwise, you could play it and camp the entire rest of the game, which could be a bit busted.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 02:56:03 pm »

Next question: When Beetle Brood's effect is triggered, and the copy is "place[d ...] directly into play", does it count as having been played for purposes of effects and not being able to attack the same turn etc.? My intention was that it wouldn't, since the card was already played, it has just divided since then.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 03:05:12 pm »

Honestly given the likelihood of it being injured before it can kill stuff, it is self-limiting. Just can get away under the correct conditions.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 03:15:49 pm »

I like it, it's a properly decent card for 0 star. With the right support, it could be very dangerous. Your deck has some good ideas. The flip side of having weak co-ordination is providing a surprising set of cards.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 03:44:02 pm »

Your deck has some good ideas.
All the best ones are mine. ;P

Well, Naglfar, Meteor Shower, Mystery Ghost, and Beetle Brood are mine. I think they're pretty cool.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 04:27:32 pm »

I would say that the copy cannot attack on the turn it is created. (Unless some other card effect would permit it)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2022, 04:42:39 pm »

Maximum Spin did create some pretty nice cards.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11