Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are an EVIL CASTLE!  (Read 846 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
You are an EVIL CASTLE!
« on: September 08, 2022, 09:12:55 pm »

FEATURING...NOT THE FATHER OF YOUR DUNGEON BABY:
ROSEHEART

First Prompt: Choose an avatar.

Thanks goes to Stirk for his recommendation of period appropriate armaments.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:46:55 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: You are an EVIL CASTLE!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 09:13:21 pm »

“I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.”

― Herman Melville, Moby Dick

The Unseen Council
Chapter 1

King Zultan, Second of the Two Unheard
Maximum Spin, Prophet of the Second Avatar

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:27:50 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 09:13:52 pm »

Glossary
(Currently revealed mechanics)

Encounter Phase: tba.

Design Phase: to be followed by a similar Revision Phase afterword to touch up your work here. This is where you can create units or dungeon rooms. You can also demolish rooms or hallways. You are a dungeon, you use souls of the brave to grow in power. Your powers are both magical and logical, and your minions and structures can draw from either.

Revision Phase: where you can touch up your designs. You will have access to older designs unless it is a total upgrade with no increased cost.

Attack Phase: tba.

Supply Limit: capacity is 15, this cannot be increased but the supply cost of a unit can be reduced to as low as 1.

Worker Minion: help building your rooms.

Combat Minion: tba.

Soul Tokens: You can apply soul tokens to any blueprint to help it to achieve greater success.
 -Villager Souls don't help the most when making combat units, but are generally good for simple projects.
 -Adventurer Souls are useful for both combat units and traps.

Council Tokens: if your design was chosen, you gain a Council Token. You can keep it or give it to others. A Council Token can be redeemed to possess a minion, thus able to act independently from the main force. If you do not give instructions, the unit will behave normally. You cannot possess more than one, but you can spend another token to take over a different one. Whether you post your actions in the thread or PM them, the results will be sent to you by PM. Do not copy/paste this PM, but you may share any details in your own words. There can only be 3 "Henchmen" active at once.

'S' Tokens: tba.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 04:57:52 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 09:39:04 pm »

... you know, I've had a "preview thread" open with my own "you are a dungeon"-style idea since all the way back the last time, and you're making me want to post it. :P

Honestly, man, I promise, that game didn't steal your thunder and people can happily play more than one similar thing at once. Hell, in the mafia subforum, it's the same game over and over! Sometimes at the same time!

Anyway, with that out of the way...
An ancient "nail of the true cross" relic that was left in storage centuries ago because the Reformation happened and everyone assumed it was a fraud. Well, it was a fraud, but it still turned out to be self-aware. After being hammered into one of the castle's support beams to hang a picture, its consciousness took over the rest of the castle.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 09:54:28 pm »

My guy, I was going to participate up until the op devolved into a petty unhinged rant that you might say is intended to be tongue-in-cheek but just comes off as a little sad. Protip: Focus on your own game and don't make 98% of your OP about how your game got stolen and how it was a bad thing. It just makes it look like a tantrum. You could have used that effort to go into more detail about your own actual game instead.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 09:57:21 pm »

My guy, I was going to participate up until the op devolved into a petty unhinged rant that you might say is intended to be tongue-in-cheek but just comes off as a little sad. Protip: Focus on your own game and don't make 98% of your OP about how your game got stolen and how it was a bad thing. It just makes it look like a tantrum. You could have used that effort to go into more detail about your own actual game instead.
Nice straw man comment my dude, you didn't even touch the last one.

It's been 7 months, I'm pretty chill.

nail of the true cross
Like an actual 2 inch nail? I love it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 10:00:13 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 10:06:27 pm »

Because at the time you weren't really doing much to make yourself look good, my guy. As you said, it was seven months ago and you and I haven't butted heads in that time. Shit, I've even given you permission to use some of the things I've cooked up. Maybe, just maybe, I like the concept and want to engage with it when the gm isn't acting like a baby?

"I'm pretty chill" and a whole OP that is a rant do not mesh together, guy.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 10:10:21 pm »

nail of the true cross
Like an actual 2 inch nail? I love it.
Yes. Like an actual nail for fastening things.

Because at the time you weren't really doing much to make yourself look good, my guy. As you said, it was seven months ago and you and I haven't butted heads in that time. Shit, I've even given you permission to use some of the things I've cooked up. Maybe, just maybe, I like the concept and want to engage with it when the gm isn't acting like a baby?

"I'm pretty chill" and a whole OP that is a rant do not mesh together, guy.
Honestly, come on. If you like the concept and want to engage with it, just go ahead. You don't need to make things worse, you know? I get where you're coming from, it put me off too, but I decided to just say my piece and move on.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 10:17:39 pm »

I mean, I said my piece too. A more mature response from roseheart ("yeah I could tone that down", "i just want to make sure someone doesn't steal my thunder", or literally anything other than throwing out the strawman argument defense) could have easily swayed me. Anyway, hope you have fun with it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 02:00:59 am »

That little blurb at the bottom of the OP is kind of strange.

Any way I like the sound of the nail so I'll +1 that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 02:53:51 am »

Quote from: I'm assuming Zultan means this
And if someone feels called out(Good!), they are free to take it up with me in PM.
That little blurb at the bottom of the OP is kind of strange.

There's some context to everything I didn't include in OP, like discord posts at the time and intentions behind the things I called out.

I don't want to debate who's right or wrong here. But this was highly unusual, and warranted a response.

Edit: Removed the last bit Zultan pointed out, probably for best.

An ancient "nail of the true cross" relic that was left in storage centuries ago because the Reformation happened and everyone assumed it was a fraud. Well, it was a fraud, but it still turned out to be self-aware. After being hammered into one of the castle's support beams to hang a picture, its consciousness took over the rest of the castle.
Any way I like the sound of the nail so I'll +1 that.

I'm trying to imagine what bonuses this would have. I'm currently reading this like a horror crux/totem object, but I'm not sure if it would be holy or related to Roman gods---could be read either way.

Edit: Votes are locked
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:42:10 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: You are an EVIL CASTLE! Votes are locked (Prologue Preview)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 09:25:06 am »

Spoiler: OLD OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:42:49 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 12:54:46 pm »

Dungeon came out after Gladiator Manager. As well as the addition of those things.

I mean, I said my piece too. A more mature response from roseheart ("yeah I could tone that down", "i just want to make sure someone doesn't steal my thunder", or literally anything other than throwing out the strawman argument defense) could have easily swayed me. Anyway, hope you have fun with it.

I do respect you Man of Paper, creatively. If you actually had some Arms Race advice, it would carry weight with me.

Been too busy to post. Thread is open... Nvm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:04:56 am by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.