Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 18675 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2022, 05:32:26 pm »

The Battle Phase is now beginning!

Refer to the second post of the Core Thread to see a list of regions and their effects. You now get to pick one as your preferred battlefield. Note that a region is not guaranteed to be a battlefield unless a player from both teams chooses it. If your region is not chosen you will instead play in a random one that was chosen by the opposing team. You will want to build your deck while considering the possibility that you might not fight on your favored terrain, such is the chaos of war!

As a reminder, you cannot pick a preferred region already picked by someone else on your team for this round.

You will also need to pick what cards you want to put in your 40 card deck!
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2022, 05:52:06 pm »

Right, so. Good luck in the battle phase. I'm going to read through the thread to see what we already have, and what our plans are.

I do have some questions right off the bat, though. I'm not familiar with the exact procedure.

I think the following idea would be completely broken, even though it looks pretty simple. Would it be plausible as a zero-star card, since the effect is so minor, or would game balance dictate a higher cost?
Draw a card. You may play an additional card this turn.
(If you don't see what's broken about this- it basically cuts the number of cards you need to put in a deck by 6 (since it acts like it doesn't exist). That means you can greatly increase the consistency, increasing your odds of drawing the right cards for a combo or whatever)

Next question- is there an established idea of what background colours represent and are capable of, or is it just a case of "whatever fits the flavour"?
Long Live United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2022, 07:23:48 pm »

Yes a Quickplay 0-star Draw a Card would be insane if allowed :P

Anyways I will enter the Dragon Graveyard for my chosen region

Spoiler: Decklist (click to show/hide)

(Can cards with heart that are flipped down, can they spend their “attack” to flip upside up, or do they need an assist from other cards to flip up?, actually can they flip up and attack at the same time?)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2022, 07:32:44 pm »

(Can cards with heart that are flipped down, can they spend their “attack” to flip upside up, or do they need an assist from other cards to flip up?, actually can they flip up and attack at the same time?)
Well, they did that to me in the first match, which is a big part of what cost me the match there, so I'd assume so.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2022, 07:48:55 pm »

Okay, building my Deck a bit more focused for The City this time because Honor.

We haven't made any more Buildings or Terrain yet(though I have many options to resolve that this coming turn should there not be something we desperately need to counteract), but the one we've got is a Yellow card, and we've got a second Yellow besides. Also, oof on the Mountain's stats, but still should prove solid going forward as long as we can keep feeding it properly, especially in the Valley of Kings considering we can stack that graveyard with good fodder preemptively. I vote that anyone who goes there from now on tries to leave at least one PGW in the grave for the Mountain to eat, and then possibly some Refineries to round out its health if they can't afford to dump a second Gunslinger in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2022, 08:32:57 pm »

Right, so. Good luck in the battle phase. I'm going to read through the thread to see what we already have, and what our plans are.

I do have some questions right off the bat, though. I'm not familiar with the exact procedure.

I think the following idea would be completely broken, even though it looks pretty simple. Would it be plausible as a zero-star card, since the effect is so minor, or would game balance dictate a higher

It should be possible and we talked about this earlier, though I still don't think it is particularly broken due to how the games usually go. Usually the balance is "Whatever the GM feels like at the exact moment" so it is impossible to tell.

Next question- is there an established idea of what background colours represent and are capable of, or is it just a case of "whatever fits the flavour"?

Entirely arbitrary. You can do whatever color you want, including weird things like "Red and white stripes" if you wanted to make a candy cane card for whatever reason.

Okay, building my Deck a bit more focused for The City this time because Honor.

We haven't made any more Buildings or Terrain yet(though I have many options to resolve that this coming turn should there not be something we desperately need to counteract), but the one we've got is a Yellow card, and we've got a second Yellow besides. Also, oof on the Mountain's stats, but still should prove solid going forward as long as we can keep feeding it properly, especially in the Valley of Kings considering we can stack that graveyard with good fodder preemptively. I vote that anyone who goes there from now on tries to leave at least one PGW in the grave for the Mountain to eat, and then possibly some Refineries to round out its health if they can't afford to dump a second Gunslinger in.

I'll be taking Space Station Theta for round 2 just because it is a good idea to fight in regions we already lost in since there is no risk this way~

Spoiler: TGG's Deck (click to show/hide)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2022, 08:48:23 pm »

I think that, with the Mountain not having any stats on its own, I want to make at least one 0-Star card that is just stat fodder. Possibly with a negative effect so its stats can be better.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2022, 08:55:16 pm »

I think that, with the Mountain not having any stats on its own, I want to make at least one 0-Star card that is just stat fodder. Possibly with a negative effect so its stats can be better.

If you want to combo you could always make a card that discards cards from your hand and searches your deck.

Like "Discard every card in your hand and add Mountain of Bodies to your hand from your deck" would probably work.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2022, 09:31:41 pm »

If you want to combo you could always make a card that discards cards from your hand and searches your deck.

Like "Discard every card in your hand and add Mountain of Bodies to your hand from your deck" would probably work.

... holy fuck that's genius.

Also, some Terrain/Building Concepts:

WARP Train Platform- Once per turn you may banish a Card you control. If you do, you may play a card from your Banished zone.

Packed Streets- Cannot Attack. Sacrifice any number of Building cards you control. This gains their stats and effects.

Barricaded Hideout- While this is in play, non-Building/Terrain cards you control take 1 less damage from all sources.

Underground Passage- While this is in play, non-Building/Terrain cards you control may be played face-down.

Also, some non-Building cards as well

Gearhead- One attempt to fill that whole 'cards that you want to have destroyed' niche. When destroyed, creates a random Gear token in your hand. All three tokens would not count to your 'cards per turn' limit, one increases Attack by one, another Hearts by one, and the last draws 1 card.

Syndicate Cyborg- This is my idea for that whole 'stat fodder with a negative effect' thing. High stats, but either he can't attack if he's the only Syndicate card in play, or you flip a coin each turn and on tails he can't attack.

Destructive Analysis- a card for the idea that you gave. Discard (?) cards from your hand, search your deck for one card.

Edit: I'll build proper card sheets for all of these later.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:56:35 pm by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2022, 01:17:25 am »

Go for the Stinking Mire

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2022, 03:49:52 am »

Had an idea for Orange cards; demon (and demon-related) cards, that have the common theme of demanding payment in blood.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:55:43 am by NUKE9.13 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2022, 04:25:55 am »

Failbird-
Your cards seem pretty good, though the packed streets one might need something more, as I'm not sure concentrating several cards into one is that big an advantage (except for mitigating boardwipes)

I like the gear head idea, though probably: "draw a card when this card leaves play" is probably more reliably useful power— is there something gear tokens could be used for that justifies them being cards?

Nuke, the demon is a great direction, but make the cost when your turn begins, otherwise you could take the hit and have the enemy wipe it before you get to attack with it. Also, maybe make it more powerful. Constantly losing 1 heart a turn seems like it should give more than 2 extra stat points!

Similarly, the demon summoner is rad, but what you could do is make it so its untargetable when other units are on the field. That saves it from board wipes (which it is very vulnerable to). Remember blocking doesn't work like MtG: the attacker chooses who they're attacking.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2022, 04:49:00 am »

Nuke, the demon is a great direction, but make the cost when your turn begins, otherwise you could take the hit and have the enemy wipe it before you get to attack with it. Also, maybe make it more powerful. Constantly losing 1 heart a turn seems like it should give more than 2 extra stat points!
I had intentionally made it end of turn to make it weaker. But if you reckon it could be stronger, I'll make some modifications. Maybe this:
Attack: 4
Hearts: 4
Stars: 0
Card Effect: At the start of each turn, you lose 1 heart.

Similarly, the demon summoner is rad, but what you could do is make it so its untargetable when other units are on the field. That saves it from board wipes (which it is very vulnerable to). Remember blocking doesn't work like MtG: the attacker chooses who they're attacking.
They do have those two board wipes, yeah. Maybe something along the lines of "This card is intangible so long as there is a Demon token on the field"- it'd still be vulnerable on its first turn of existence, but after that it would be safe behind its summons. Well, fairly safe. Safer. Safe-ish.
The blocking thing- yeah, I know. My thinking was that if it can't block, it can't be attacked. "This card can only block if there are no other cards (without this rule) available to block." would mean the same thing as "This card can only be attacked if there are no other cards (without this rule) available to be attacked."- the reason I went with block was mainly to save space.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:50:37 am by NUKE9.13 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2022, 05:10:37 am »

Yeah that works, and if it turns out to be too vulnerable, you can always create more demon token cards (like, have a card which says when it leaves play, put a 1/1 imp in play) so you can have better cover for putting the summoner in play.

(Though I get ahead of myself— we only get 1 card per design phase and there are infinite card ideas)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2022, 09:20:45 am »

Had an idea for Orange cards; demon (and demon-related) cards, that have the common theme of demanding payment in blood.

You’re going to get our show canceled by soccer moms smh.

The gimmick probably requires a healing card to work or you’re going to end up hurting yourself more than the enemy. It would work great if we end up making a skill switching card tho, and I already had Waifu support for demons in the pipe.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33