Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 18619 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 Design Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2022, 10:21:48 am »

I suppose area-attacks to wipe the board state is an obvious design space. We just need to punish them for it in the next battle phase. We can make four more cards in the next design phase (or more if Stirk lets Shadowclaw have a bonus phase). That a max of 24 cards (i.e. over half a deck) that we can field that could be built around being destroyed by their area wipes.

It is certain they can kill our creatures. Our strength is that we can put down creatures faster than they can, so lets lean into that and give ourselves creatures that gain power when the graveyard is full.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2022, 10:29:11 am »

I've got some ideas for the "creatures that benefit from a full graveyard" front.

Right now I'm thinking the big things to go for are thus:
1. One or more creatures/cards that benefit from having a packed graveyard
2. Cards that help us draw, because the fact that once we blow our big Card Cast combo we're all but empty handed is crippling
3. Cards with an effect that triggers when destroyed
4. Cards that are immune/resistant to non-combat destruction/damage
5. Cards with more than 4 Hearts

I have ideas(some rougher than others) for all of these personally, which I will post once I'm home, but I'd like to see others concepts as well to see what we can potentially build together.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:22:57 pm by Failbird105 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2022, 10:39:19 am »

Right now I'm thinking the big things to go for are thus:
1. One or more creatures/cards that benefit from having a packed graveyard
2. Cards that help us draw, because the fact that once we blow our big Card Cast combo we're all but empty handed is crippling
We could combine these two ideas by having a card that says: shuffle your graveyard and draw up to 5 cards from it. I don't know how expensive star-wise Supernerd would make that, but I like the idea of trying to achieve more than one of our goals with the same card.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2022, 10:45:18 am »

Yeah, a solid chunk of their cards are perfect counters to our entire deck thus far. It's legitimately baffling how they can work with supposedly no consistency or teamwork yet still manage to almost entirely negate a deck that actually tried to synergies and build around itself.

The fact that I'm playing against a deck that is clearly completely built for this exact Region while we haven't built for it at all is also very much a factor. I imagine things wouldn't be as bad for us if I was in The City

That wouldn't stop everyone else from loosing lol. Truth is they just have better cards. The game is built around controlling the board and they have cards that can wipe the board whenever they want. We can use Caster to kinda circumvent that but they can just keep wiping it.

What we really need is the ability to do it ourselves to make it fair.

I suppose area-attacks to wipe the board state is an obvious design space. We just need to punish them for it in the next battle phase. We can make four more cards in the next design phase (or more if Stirk lets Shadowclaw have a bonus phase). That a max of 24 cards (i.e. over half a deck) that we can field that could be built around being destroyed by their area wipes.

It is certain they can kill our creatures. Our strength is that we can put down creatures faster than they can, so lets lean into that and give ourselves creatures that gain power when the graveyard is full.

I can't let them bonus phase tho :V

Flying cards can't be blocked which would let us win without board control, so a tough dragon would help.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2022, 10:50:09 am »

Max is offering a draw in our game. I'm going to take it if allowed, because none of my trash cards are living long enough to be able to attack, and I over-stuffed my deck with card casters which are useless when I have no other cards in my hand. I might still win if we continue (as I have superior ability to play cards and have a small heart advantage) but it's dicey. I've drawn more cards as well, so would lose if we played them all out.

Flying cards can't be blocked which would let us win without board control, so a tough dragon would help.
Yeah, ramping up to play a 4 star dragon 10a/10h and unblockable would probably do it. Actually even just a boardwipe of our own + pacifist gun waifu would be super deadly. She's a great card that could be even better with support. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:52:36 am by notquitethere »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2022, 11:08:34 am »

*Card Name: Unintentional Bombardmant
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Green
Attack:
Hearts:
Stars:
Card Effect: Deal 4 damage to every card in play.
Flavor Text: Tails can be a safety hazard.
Metadata: I just want a board wipe like they have :(
Reference: Surprisingly none.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2022, 11:24:22 am »

Their meteorstrike also gives stars for all the killing, so we could probably eke out a bit more functionality here. Like, if its 'unintentional' maybe we can follow it up with a free card play.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2022, 11:55:27 am »

Their meteorstrike also gives stars for all the killing, so we could probably eke out a bit more functionality here. Like, if its 'unintentional' maybe we can follow it up with a free card play.

I want a 0 Star card so we can reliably board wipe, closer to Storm Cell. I'm not sure if the extra turn is supposed to be a disadvantage (delayed effect) or advantage (the enemy can't play a card since it would just get wiped, you have an empty board at the start of your turn).

Free card seems like it'd either nerf the damage significantly or raise the star amount.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2022, 12:04:56 pm »

OK, I can see 0 star cost being the important part there.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »

My hand is filled with Nightly Sweeps. I pulled Isekai but even if I pulled a caster to use it now it looks like its too late >_>

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2022, 05:15:35 pm »

Okay, dumping some of my ideas here:

Mountain of Smiling Bodies- when you play this, choose three cards from the graveyard for it to consume, it has the combined stats of those three cards. Might need to be 1 star, but also might not be as strong as that and thus have something added on top?

Riot- Makes the enemy cards attack each-other at random. A more flavorful and interesting form of Board Clear

Barricaded Hideout- While this is in play, all other cards you control take 1 less damage.

Dimensional Refraction Variant- Immune to non-targeted Card Effects('All Cards', 'All enemy Cards', etc.)

Gather Intel- Basic card draw card. Maybe one that doesn't take up a card slot in your turn? That'd probably only draw 1 card without costing a Star though.

Void Dream- Just something to play into the Sheep thing. Idea being that it can't do any damage, but it puts random enemy cards to sleep, and turns into a more dangerous form if attacked.

Shrimp Vending- Shrimp Vending.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 05:21:03 pm by Failbird105 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2022, 05:23:06 pm »

Gather Intel- Basic card draw card. Maybe one that doesn't take up a card slot in your turn? That'd probably only draw 1 card without costing a Star though.

A card that can draw one other card is entirely useless, since you could just not have it in your deck and draw another card instead of it.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2022, 05:46:07 pm »

A card that can draw one other card is entirely useless, since you could just not have it in your deck and draw another card instead of it.
Exactly, that's why I'm hesitant to make it not take up your action for the turn.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2022, 06:05:19 pm »

Design Phase starts now!
Note that any card designs you made prior to this post will be disregarded for this design phase, so make sure you post the one design you want!
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2022, 07:02:56 pm »

*Card Name: The Mountain of Bodies
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Grey
Attack:
Hearts: High
Stars: 2
Card Effect: When you play this, choose three cards from your graveyard and remove them from the game. This card gains their combined stats.
Flavor Text: The smiling faces are unfamiliar yet sorrowful.
Metadata: Basically, I just want to get a beatstick who can take advantage of our rapidly filling Graveyards by making itself stronger from them.
Reference: https://lobotomycorp.fandom.com/wiki/The_Mountain_of_Smiling_Bodies

We've got Star gen out the ass and no good ways to use it yet, and frankly making MoSB a 1 Star or less just felt wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33