Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 18672 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2022, 07:38:10 am »

Nice, they hopefully won't see that combo coming.

Spoiler: Test Game, NQT Turn 6 (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2022, 07:49:44 am »

Now that I've done it, I realise Fog into UB is bonkers.
Spoiler: Test Game, NUKE turn 7 (click to show/hide)
I feel like this is going to come down to whether my demon tokens kill you before they kill me. 
Long Live United Forenia!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2022, 08:29:12 am »

I think I can just stall out and let the demons kill you
Spoiler: Test Game, NQT Turn 7 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:54:07 am by notquitethere »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2022, 08:36:01 am »

Well...
Spoiler: Test Game, NUKE turn 8 (click to show/hide)
Unless I've missed a rule that you can't attack before playing a card.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2022, 10:00:37 am »

Fog of war would permit you to play a card, then flip it face down. Your opponent would know what the card is in this case however, as it was played before it was flipped.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2022, 10:03:10 am »

I think that's all legit. Choosing which order to play or attack with cards is part of the game's tactical space.

Spoiler: Test Game, NQT Turn 8 (click to show/hide)

Fog of war would permit you to play a card, then flip it face down. Your opponent would know what the card is in this case however, as it was played before it was flipped.
Great, that's exactly how I thought it should work.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:05:51 am by notquitethere »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:26 am »

Spoiler: Test Game, NUKE turn 9 (click to show/hide)

So, I think I've effectively won this test match- spoilers, I have two more Fogs in hand (I've drawn 5 of the 6 I included). Not super surprising, given I'm using a turn 2.5 deck versus a turn 1 deck (that might even be missing some key cards).

Here's my decklist, with some notes I made during the game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The notes are just thoughts for "what if I fought another test match"; obviously actual combat would mean both having access to more cards, and being able to tailor to a region to some extent, which would change deck construction.

Here's what my draws looked like. I somehow managed to not draw a single Demon Footsoldier, despite having 6.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was definitely a useful learning experience. Unfortunate that I didn't get to test the Footsoldier, but I feel the Demon tokens provided decent examples.

E: Also, a question- do ETB triggers happen every time a card flips face up, or only if it was played face down to begin with and it is flipped up for the first time?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:23:32 am by NUKE9.13 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2022, 10:30:00 am »

Yes we can call it there. I should have fielded more Naglfar in the deck as it's a perfect counter to your hidden demon spam as it stops you attacking but you still get burnt by the demons.

Also, I might be wrong (Supernerd to clarify) but wouldn't start of turn card weaknesses still trigger on facedown cards?

This absolutely shows the power of fog. I'll be fielding all 6 of them next round. I think the Backfire was probably good for getting options but could have backfired— most of the damage you took that game was self inflicted.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2022, 10:33:44 am »

Fog is just kinda powerful since all of its effects would individually make a good 0 star card but it can do any and all of them.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2022, 10:34:32 am »

Also, I might be wrong (Supernerd to clarify) but wouldn't start of turn card weaknesses still trigger on facedown cards?
That seems unintuitive. A face-down refinery wouldn't produce stars every turn, would it?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2022, 10:36:21 am »

Face-down cards do not do anything while face down.

If a card is played and then flipped face down on the same turn, it was still played this turn so any effects that would apply to cards that were played on that turn specifically would still apply. Flipping a card does not make it so that it was played on a previous turn.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2022, 10:40:01 am »

If a card is played and then flipped face down on the same turn, it was still played this turn so any effects that would apply to cards that were played on that turn specifically would still apply. Flipping a card does not make it so that it was played on a previous turn.
Ah, that's not what I meant to ask. I meant, as an example- Star Wish Waifu, does she generate a star every time she's flipped face up?
We saw in Tric's match last round that face down cards apparently trigger their 'on play' abilities when being flipped up for the first time, so I'm wondering how broadly that works.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2022, 10:40:41 am »

I see your point. There's actually a 3rd way of interpreting it, based on the rules as a written:

If a facedown card does something it will be flipped.

So maybe demon tokens should flip when they inflict damage to you and the refinery should flip when it gives income?

Ppe: Supernerd weighs in, yeah makes sense, they are considered inert when flipped.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2022, 10:42:39 am »

Ah, that's not what I meant to ask. I meant, as an example- Star Wish Waifu, does she generate a star every time she's flipped face up?
We saw in Tric's match last round that face down cards apparently trigger their 'on play' abilities when being flipped up for the first time, so I'm wondering how broadly that works.

Restless Spirit might be what you want to go for for flipping stars.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2022, 10:47:09 am »

Restless Spirit might be what you want to go for for flipping stars.
Restless Spirit is designed to be a renewable star source if the player can figure out a way to flip and unflip multiple times, but what NUKE is trying to clarify is how enter-play type effects interplay with flipping up cards, as it seems like if you play a card face down it doesn't count as having entered play until its flipped. (As Wooly was able to use its ability when flipped up for the first time.) Possibly Tric was making an illegal play?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33