Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread  (Read 18648 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 2 (Team G) Design Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2022, 10:48:45 am »

Failbird-
Your cards seem pretty good, though the packed streets one might need something more, as I'm not sure concentrating several cards into one is that big an advantage (except for mitigating boardwipes)

I like the gear head idea, though probably: "draw a card when this card leaves play" is probably more reliably useful power— is there something gear tokens could be used for that justifies them being cards?
The Gearhead's gear thing was essentially a Flavor thing, as the whole gimmick of them in the source material is that they have different gears in their body that enhance different aspects of themself and can be taken and used to further enhance others.

As for Packed Streets, my other thought on it was a defensive card exclusively for buildings

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2022, 01:10:25 pm »

The gimmick probably requires a healing card to work or you’re going to end up hurting yourself more than the enemy. It would work great if we end up making a skill switching card tho, and I already had Waifu support for demons in the pipe.
While I think that the Demon Footsoldier and Demon tokens would dish out enough damage to render the hearts cost worthwhile, I agree that it would synergise well with something that provided extra hearts. The idea of swapping the rules text from one card to another is very interesting, and would be quite the combo with demons (not as much as with the PGW, obviously).

Also, another idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2022, 05:09:47 pm »

It's an interesting conundrum with the whole Demon thing. Damage at the Start of turn and at the End of turn are equally harmful I feel. Damage at the End of turn, for example, pretty much means you automatically take one damage just for playing it. Even if the opponent pops a board-wipe and clears it away immediately with the rest of your board, you've still lost a Heart in the process. The only way you could possibly stop yourself from getting damaged by playing it is if you had a card that killed it without counting towards your cards-per-turn.

On the other hand, while Damage on Start means you have a grace period in that it doesn't start hurting you until you would be able to attack with it, but it also damages you before you can do anything to potentially protect yourself.

What it definitely is, however, is great stat fodder for the Mountain. If you make that, I'll 100% aim for making Destructive Analysis, and I'd ask that one of you guys make a region benefitting Creature Type(I'd prefer a building but like, doesn't have to be) or 'Benefits from Banishings' Card, because the Caldera renders the Mountain of Bodies utterly useless and so that is a region where we'll need to have alternatives at all cost.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2022, 05:29:03 pm »

It's an interesting conundrum with the whole Demon thing. Damage at the Start of turn and at the End of turn are equally harmful I feel. Damage at the End of turn, for example, pretty much means you automatically take one damage just for playing it. Even if the opponent pops a board-wipe and clears it away immediately with the rest of your board, you've still lost a Heart in the process. The only way you could possibly stop yourself from getting damaged by playing it is if you had a card that killed it without counting towards your cards-per-turn.

On the other hand, while Damage on Start means you have a grace period in that it doesn't start hurting you until you would be able to attack with it, but it also damages you before you can do anything to potentially protect yourself.

What it definitely is, however, is great stat fodder for the Mountain. If you make that, I'll 100% aim for making Destructive Analysis, and I'd ask that one of you guys make a region benefitting Creature Type(I'd prefer a building but like, doesn't have to be) or 'Benefits from Banishings' Card, because the Caldera renders the Mountain of Bodies utterly useless and so that is a region where we'll need to have alternatives at all cost.
EoT is definitely worse. The amount of damage you suffer per turn doesn't change, but the fact that you don't take damage on the turn the opponent kills it makes start-of-turn strictly better. Well, you could probably construct some elaborate scenario where it's worse, but that would be an extreme edge case.

The Mountain synergy is also a benefit, yes. And I do think we need a card that is able to take and deal a beating (without requiring lots of setup). Barring any surprises from the other team, I'm inclined towards doing the Demon Footsoldier next turn. And then take 6 of them to the Caldera, to ensure that a deck with Mountains doesn't get dragged into it.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2022, 07:43:59 pm »

Pre-building this here card in advance, since I am almost definitely making it next turn.

*Card Name: Destructive Analysis
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Yellow
Attack: 0
Hearts: 0
Stars: 0
Card Effect: Discard (?) Cards, search your deck for one Card.
Flavor Text: Time for this expensive procedure to prove its worth.
Metadata: The (?) is what I'm going to put when I don't know what number would be considered fair and am fully leaving the reins with you.
Reference:

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2022, 08:12:05 pm »

If you guys are really hankering for it, we can always make a test duel in here with either current or theoretical cards to see what works
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2022, 08:14:12 pm »

I don't see why not. Though I won't put as much effort into the whole moderation thing in such a test event, and rulings that I make, if any, may not necessarily apply to official cards made based on a test.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2022, 08:18:03 pm »

Pre-building this here card in advance, since I am almost definitely making it next turn.

*Card Name: Destructive Analysis
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Yellow
Attack: 0
Hearts: 0
Stars: 0
Card Effect: Discard (?) Cards, search your deck for one Card.
Flavor Text: Time for this expensive procedure to prove its worth.
Metadata: The (?) is what I'm going to put when I don't know what number would be considered fair and am fully leaving the reins with you.
Reference:
I think that if (?) ends up greater than 3, the card would be impractical. 3 itself is pushing it. Mind you, we do have that draw-3... but you don't want your "find a card" card to rely on having a specific card. I'd suggest a target value of 2. If that seems too low, add another cost. Two cards plus Analysis itself will still put Mountain online, and the chance of the discard pile being empty is pretty low anyway.
Oh, you could have it put the found card on top of the deck- you'd basically have the same card, but it would be like it had the words "skip your next draw step" (since it would replace your "real" draw).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:23:04 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2022, 08:38:57 pm »

Oh, you could have it put the found card on top of the deck- you'd basically have the same card, but it would be like it had the words "skip your next draw step" (since it would replace your "real" draw).

But if you do that you'll end up loosing the card if you have to shuffle, which the enemy can initiate pretty easily and as a side effect of something else if they wanted.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2022, 08:54:02 pm »

I mean... would it be possible to just ask Supernerd what a fair number of cards is to Discard in order to search for a card straight from your deck?

Also, while yes you only need to discard 2 potential cards plus this to summon the Mountain, if the cards you wind up discarding aren't at least 1 or 2 stars themselves you're dramatically overpaying for MoB

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2022, 09:18:18 pm »

Also, while yes you only need to discard 2 potential cards plus this to summon the Mountain, if the cards you wind up discarding aren't at least 1 or 2 stars themselves you're dramatically overpaying for MoB
Yeah... but that applies no matter how many cards you discard. Also, the idea that the bin would be empty at the point you consider doing this seems unlikely.

But if you do that you'll end up loosing the card if you have to shuffle, which the enemy can initiate pretty easily and as a side effect of something else if they wanted.
Fair. Maybe literally have the words "Skip your next draw step" instead- still have that downside, but without the risk of a shuffle.

If you guys are really hankering for it, we can always make a test duel in here with either current or theoretical cards to see what works
As in, a test duel between two decks made with our cards, or a test duel between our cards and a deck made from (what we've seen of) the enemy's cards? Either way, it could be useful. I'd expect Demon Footsoldier and/or Summoner to work well, but it could be worth testing how significant the life loss is.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2022, 09:33:23 pm »

As in, a test duel between two decks made with our cards, or a test duel between our cards and a deck made from (what we've seen of) the enemy's cards? Either way, it could be useful. I'd expect Demon Footsoldier and/or Summoner to work well, but it could be worth testing how significant the life loss is.

The former seems to be significantly more viable, given how few of the enemy cards we've actually seen.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2022, 03:25:14 am »

I tested my deck vs the cards drawn against me in the last match as a kind of minimal viable deck. If it struggled against that, I'd have no chance against whatever new cards they've made. In my test, PGW+Fog won the game by round four, so I weighted the numbers in my deck accordingly.

Definitely up for us running mock tests here in the thread with all these syndicate and demon ideas.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2022, 04:45:03 am »

I put together mockups of the two theoretical cards (and token) I'd want to test:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And put together a decklist using them and existing cards in our roster. I'd enjoy testing it- both to test the actual cards, and to get a better feel for piloting a deck.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2022, 04:54:48 am »

And put together a decklist using them and existing cards in our roster. I'd enjoy testing it- both to test the actual cards, and to get a better feel for piloting a deck.
I'll have a look at the last three games and put together a deck of the cards we've seen so far. Go ahead and make your first move (them starting with a +1 star advantage was pivotal to their strategy last round).

Spoiler: Team E Test Deck #1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:51:24 am by notquitethere »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33