Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread  (Read 11988 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 16, 2022, 11:39:01 am »

There's this one thing that the opposing team keeps doing that you could punish severely, but I can't outright state it for the sake of neutrality. Its kind of frustrating how you don't seem to even be trying to exploit it though.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 16, 2022, 11:55:07 am »

I know their main search card is a discard thing. And the factories. And the fact they keep destroying cards en mass. (And now theft.)

Them using cards that reduce their own hearts is completely null though, particularly now that they have ways to restore hearts. Doesn't matter if they reduce their own hearts when we don't have cards that target players directly... (I've no clue what else you could be speaking about.

Just trying to get consensus, and failing. Mostly cause we don't seem to have communication.

Would not mind just reseting the board and trying again with people either using the same character or new ones. I pick a new one, this time with fairies.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 12:21:14 pm by TricMagic »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 16, 2022, 03:21:39 pm »

I'm half-tempted to just choose one of their best cards, like Cyberpunk Waifu, or the Refinery, and create an exact copy with the same effects and stats and different flavor. And like, that's kinda mean, but at least we'd know it would work, for sure?

Ripoff Refinery - 0 stars 0 attack 3 hearts. At the end of each of your turns, you gain 1 Star.

At the same time, it feels like a waste to use a design just to catch up to something they've had all along, but we've been playing catch-up for a while now. So it's an option on the table. I just don't like it.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 16, 2022, 03:28:17 pm »

Shoddy refinery, that blows up when destroyed dealing damage to everyone on the field.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2022, 03:30:54 pm »

Not particularly in favor of such. (At this point morale seems too low to actually work out.)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 16, 2022, 04:14:05 pm »

There's this one thing that the opposing team keeps doing that you could punish severely, but I can't outright state it for the sake of neutrality. Its kind of frustrating how you don't seem to even be trying to exploit it though.
Spill. It'll help balance things.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 16, 2022, 04:23:22 pm »

Spill. It'll help balance things.
Not really neutral then. And doesn't solve working together any, since at the start and for most of it we stuck to our own themes. Our decks are more of a mishmash of cards comparatively.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 16, 2022, 04:38:41 pm »

Just look at the cards they played yourself. Maybe use a spreadsheet or something. Frankly I said too much already.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 16, 2022, 06:50:53 pm »

Maybe we could do an Hearts sacrifice card too? Pay 8 Hearts, gain 3 Stars, quickplay?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 16, 2022, 06:55:03 pm »

Stars aren't really an issue at the moment. We got a accel engine in Spring Maiden and Starburst gives a decent amount.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2022, 07:55:47 pm »

I'm thinking something like this.

[EXAMPLE] *Card Name: Fairy of the Frozen Night
*Card Picture: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/807019597139542036/1031365142350417930/unknown.png
*Background Color: Silver
Attack: 5
Hearts: 5
Stars: 2
Card Effect: When Fairy of the Frozen Night enters play, you may choose one card to flip face down and place an frost token upon. As long as a card has a frost token upon it, it can not be flipped face up.
Flavor Text: Winter without end, the cold that does not cease.
Metadata: Let's shut down all their annoying heavy hitters.
Reference: It's Cirno!

We've got the star gain now, and we've got a few trump cards, but we're severely lacking in the mid game play and ways to exploit the star gain to keep up with our original early game advantage. We need some one or two star drops or such that let us exploit our star gain for more things then just powering board wipes or boss monsters. Fairy of the Frozen Night is strong enough to punch around their mid game stuff and her enter game effect lets us counter their own annoying boss monsters by force-flipping them face down and not letting them re-enter the fight until they make a counter card to her effect.

I've spent the last half hour looking over the duel threads and nothing's really jumping out at me for stuff we're letting them get away with unless it's the 'self damage effects' maybe? We could do something like 'Damage Fairy, Whenever a card an opponent controls deals damage to them, that damage is doubled' maybe? But other then that the only maybe-things I see are their focus on stuff that interplays with discards, which really doesn't seem to come into effect that often, and their refineries, and... idduno, would we get away with a 'Fairy of Starlight, Gain one attack and health whenever the enemy gains a star' or whatever?

Or, idduno,...

[EXAMPLE] *Card Name: Fairy of the Burning Sky
*Card Picture: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/807019597139542036/1031360598367277136/unknown.png
*Background Color:
Attack: 3
Hearts: 3
Stars: 1
Card Effect: For each star an opponent gains, Fairy of the Burning Sky deals one damage to a card that opponent controls.
Flavor Text:
Metadata:
Reference:

Something like this would really punish their refineries and stuff, but is it even a viable design?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 17, 2022, 01:33:21 am »

Well, if our collective brains can't figure out their super secret weak point that we can hypothetically punish, we could always try to completely flip the board?

Beetle Knight - Stars 1, Attack 1, Hearts 4: While this card is in play, all damage instances dealt to any card currently in play are reduced to 1.

Works well with our Beetle Brood and fairies. With this, we can just ignore attack power entirely and focus on 1-attack beefy beetles, or design cards with multistrike.

Retaliation Wall - Stars 0, Attack 0, Hearts 4: This card cannot attack. When attacked, the attacking damage instance is copied onto its attacker.

Intended to make their strong attackers think twice.

Fodder Only Zone - Stars 2, Attack 0, Hearts 6: This card cannot attack. While this card is in play, only cards that cost 0 Stars can attack, and cards that cost more than 0 Stars do not block direct attacks.

Make the game cheap cards only.

Search Jam - Stars 0, Attack 0, Hearts 0: Quickplay. Pay 3 Hearts - The next time a player would search their deck for a card, they do not do so.

We just play one of these and then, with our near complete lack of search cards, never play a search ourselves, and let them deal with the consequences.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 17, 2022, 08:25:57 am »

The first step is to gather a copy of every single card they have in a single post.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2022, 10:16:15 am »

Yes, someone do that. Also we don't actually have a problem with star gen, or heavy hitters. Our big problem seems to be countering the enemy's strategy long enough to pull off our own. I suspect the fuckup they made is somehow pricing related by the way.

Firebase, invader guardians, Stellar bombardment, hypersummon, all of these are big heavy hitters that can end a game really fast once used. And we have the star gain to use them, as I have shown. What we need is Delaying abilities. and I suspect that looking at all of their cards will reveal a good way to do that.
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2022, 06:27:48 pm »

We do lack mid level hitters though, that aren't one and done board killers that also hit our own cards.

Anyway, let's take a look at the enemy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I've spent literally almost a half hour getting all of these out of the duel threads, so I'm going to go give these a deeper analysis when my brain is out of copy paste mode. If I missed one, please point it out.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23