Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread  (Read 12030 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2022, 07:49:02 pm »

If you nullify the Plains Windmill's effect using Gateless Gate, it sticks around as a 15-heart wall, doesn't it?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2022, 07:52:46 pm »

Shining Dawn is almost useless at the moment. I'd replace it with Woolys, Also Meteor Shower is a 1 Star card.

A suggestion is to put a copy of Firebase in there, as well as Mystery Ghosts. Nagalfar isn't the best of things if you;re looking to buff your cards to high heaven, you should only need 1 with Hypersummon at most. An then they're likely to just blast it away anyway.

One particular note, Sheep of the Windy Plains could be good as a cheap hypersummon that can survive a bombarment.

A major issue remains keeping a card on the field long enough to play solo star power. If you go second, it's somewhat fine if you got enough maidens and meteor showers at least. Your best bet for breaking through still remains a buffed firebase though.

Not much else I can say. If you could hpersummon Olden Plains with enough damage you could probably make a push. But by that point you're looking at 7 stars for the card. Which is pretty much the cost of Invader Guardians.

Another suggestion is Broomstick Witch, who can just bypass non-flyers. 4 Star cost and she'd deal 5 damage a turn, with no real counter atm other than striking her down.

...Success is almost guarenteed if you go second. Going first means you will have trouble getting star gen running. Right now 17 cards in your deck are cards you can't play going first. That's a bit much.

Ninja. Note that the Windmill's cot reduction is a delayed effect. Negating it does not remove the eventual destruction since you already activated the effect.

Solo Star Power sticking around actually makes it viable as a target. If you can afford the two stars and have enough on the field.

Solo Star Power just isn't the best generator if you can't keep two cards out for long enough.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2022, 07:58:32 pm »

If you nullify the Plains Windmill's effect using Gateless Gate, it sticks around as a 15-heart wall, doesn't it?
Even putting aside the 'does gateless gate shut off suspended effects' questions, you've got 1 windmill and 2 gateless gates in your deck of 40 cards. The chances you'll draw both of them in your hand at once when you actually want them are fairly low, and that's a two turn combo because you can only play one card a turn. Giving the other player two turns to build up on their own side is not generally a wise idea in any situation where a 15 heart wall would actually be useful. If you're just trying to make something that will survive long enough for you to play more then one creature out for solo star power, I'd still say it's better to drop something that can fight in your first turn because that way it can cover what you play in your second turn while that card can't attack. Three Mystery Ghosts would probably do you better then the Shining Dawns and Windmill just because they get five stat points in total, and that's the max a zero star creature can get so they're always some kind of decent minion, or finishing filling out your max number of Wooly cards for consistency purposes or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:00:13 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2022, 08:09:00 pm »

Sheep are always a good play. Ghosts a more random play.

My dream combo right now would be Invader Guardians+ Thorn Ward. 12 damage + protection against higher-level cards. Oh, and I can just play storm cells with no penalty.

Still dreaming of the Spring Flower Maiden for her stargen. Her enter play effects boil down to a net-0, since you get to draw a card, and when destroyed she becomes your next draw. At which point you either choose to play her, or use her to gain the star you ended up spending.
In cases when you don't play her, she gives you a star at the cost of her card in your hand. Which fuels playing her or Summer Star Maiden. SSM supports her by shuffling the deck so you have a higher chance to draw her again. It's a very low key effect for a 1 star, but useful and fit's their nature as self-supporting cards.

Planning a full series of them too, so... They will hopefully all share the quickplay+2 hearts nature.

Well, all but their Search card. That one's a 4star quickplay that grabs them all and shuffles itself back in. Or shuffles itself and the other four to deal 5 damage to a target and then shuffles them all back in to draw 5 cards.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:17:37 pm by TricMagic »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2022, 08:26:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure Storm Cell bypasses Thorn Ward. It doesn't do damage, it just lowers their max hearts.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2022, 08:36:16 pm »

Right, let me revise.

Spoiler: Decklist Proposal 2 (click to show/hide)

What are the rules for flipping a card you control face up, again? Can you just do it on your turn for free?

This deck is still following the same principle of the previous deck, it's just more balanced. Trying to accumulate a huge number of stars and then either shoot the opponent with them or overcharge a summon with them.

I'm pretty sure Storm Cell bypasses Thorn Ward. It doesn't do damage, it just lowers their max hearts.
No doubt it does, yeah. I was hoping for more with Thorn Ward, but I guess the versatility of the protection made it a two-star. That or I was misreading the overall power curve. Still, it is good, since it makes any play to get rid of the Warded card a sacrifice.

My current planned card for the next design phase is an Energy Ward - either discard it from your hand to draw a card, or soullink it to a card you control, and when that card is destroyed, you gain a Star. Some versatile filler and acceleration.

Don't tell the enemy team this of course, but a few phases in, once we have enough Ward type cards, I plan on making a Ward Golem that powers up for every ward attached to it. A boss monster.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2022, 10:55:06 pm »

Every single member of Team 2 is ready for the battle phase. Just waiting on you all now.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2022, 10:59:53 pm »

Riiiight. I'm waiting for Tric and Happerry to make decks so I can use theirs to help me make my own.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2022, 01:16:58 am »

Right, let me revise.

Spoiler: Decklist Proposal 2 (click to show/hide)
Looks good to me.

What are the rules for flipping a card you control face up, again? Can you just do it on your turn for free?
Essentially, yeah. Shining Dawn will only be relevant when the enemy starts designing cards we don't want to let remain face down, and they haven't done so yet. (Honestly, they'd find it more useful then we would, it'd let them trigger the BFG when they wanted it to flip instead of having it bounce their big monsters out when they deployed them.)

Anyway, since no one's said otherwise, I'll call the Dragon's Graveyard.

My deck will be 6x Big Friendly Ghosts, 6x Wooly, 6x Mystery Ghosts, 5x Clover Fairies, 6x Solo Star Powers, 5x Hypersummons, 4x Summer Star Maidens, 1x Broomstick Witch, 1x Thorn Ward.

I'll either end up beating them to death normally or dropping a megamonster with a Hypersummon (preferably either the Broomstick Witch so nothing they have can block it or the Thorn Ward so it's a megamonster that bounces damage back at them). This is a variant of the tactic I've used in my last two games, so maybe they've finally countered it, but I'm going to keep using it until it stops working. I did completely drop the board wipes this time, which might backfire, but I've barely used them so far so we'll see.
Forenia Forever!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2022, 08:35:52 am »

6x Sheep of the Windy Plains
6x Wooly
6x Mystery Ghost
6x Summer Star Maidens
6x Star Power
3x Hyper Summon
1x Firebase
1x Invader Guardians
4x Meteor Storm
4x Storm Cell
1x Thorn Ward
2x Broomstick Witch

Deck is assembled, I'll be heading back to the Windy Plains this turn.

Main goal of this deck is hoping to get a star, then running with it. Hyper Summon is to get out finishers if I can get the star power.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:42:02 am by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2022, 04:24:10 pm »

6x Big Friendly Ghosts, 4x Meteor shower, 4x Mystery Ghosts, 2x Clover Fairies, 6x Solo Star Powers, 4x Hypersummons, 4x Summer Star Maidens, 2x olden plains windmill, 1x Return of the king, 1x Thorn Ward 1x Invader Guardians 3x Firebase 2x Gateless Gate. Totally stole this from Happerry and modded it to my hearts content but whatever.

I'll be going to the City
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 04:38:37 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2022, 04:26:52 pm »

6x Big Friendly Ghosts, 4x Wooly, 6x Mystery Ghosts, 2x Clover Fairies, 6x Solo Star Powers, 5x Hypersummons, 4x Summer Star Maidens, 1x Return of the king, 1x Thorn Ward 1x Invader Guardians 2x Firebase 2x Gateless Gate. Totally stole this from Happerry and modded it to my hearts content but whatever.

I'll be going to the Valley Of Kings
I had honestly hoped to save that location till we had proper star gen. You will either boom everything, or face a field as dry as the desert. And sad to say, likely the latter will occur cause we end up facing multiple mountains of bodies there..

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2022, 04:28:32 pm »

6x Big Friendly Ghosts, 4x Wooly, 6x Mystery Ghosts, 2x Clover Fairies, 6x Solo Star Powers, 5x Hypersummons, 4x Summer Star Maidens, 1x Return of the king, 1x Thorn Ward 1x Invader Guardians 2x Firebase 2x Gateless Gate. Totally stole this from Happerry and modded it to my hearts content but whatever.

I'll be going to the Valley Of Kings
I had honestly hoped to save that location till we had proper star gen. You will either boom everything, or face a field as dry as the desert. And sad to say, likely the latter will occur cause we end up facing multiple mountains of bodies there..
They only have ghost eels in the graveyard, so I have a brief opening to take field control.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2022, 04:35:10 pm »

The issue with that is if you go first, you have to spend that opening to set up. And anything you do set up is likely to get bombarded. We just don't have the star gen for anything else. I would suggest 2 less Hypersummons for 2 more Maidens since that's your best generation chance.

Unless Return of the King is really OP anyway, but we haven't seen the final version yet.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2022, 04:35:59 pm »

Fair. I just don't know where else to go. I'm also somewhat betting on the enemy not fighting me there. Where else should I go?
My Power armor arms race
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23