Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread  (Read 12051 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Team 1 Design Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2022, 10:49:13 am »

So, strategy wise, I think I plan to attack the Dragon Graveyard. While the enemy probably has some cards prepared for it, I'm going to count on our ability to shut down enemy bullshit and control the field along with the new Firebase card in order to hold the field until I get enough stars to place one of those down and leverage the ability granted to red cards in the region in order to bombard them into oblivion.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2022, 11:54:43 am »

Remember the first spell played there each turn has quickplay. So build your deck with that in mind.

I'm going City meanwhile. Solo Star Power should help out immensely, though will need to keep in mind they can steal stuff from my hand. Summer Star Maiden is likely to have a star cost, but that's not the worst thing. Will let me rain upon them the power of starlight.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2022, 12:05:36 pm »

Remember the first spell played there each turn has quickplay. So build your deck with that in mind.

I'm going City meanwhile. Solo Star Power should help out immensely, though will need to keep in mind they can steal stuff from my hand. Summer Star Maiden is likely to have a star cost, but that's not the worst thing. Will let me rain upon them the power of starlight.
I will, it'll make our board wipes and other abilities very very potent. Shining dawn might see some use in combination with Happerry's new card and BFG to do some mass return to hand shenanigans.
Side note. I really, REALLY hope at least one of our new star gain cards ends up being zero star cost as designed. Otherwise I'll just have to bet on going second.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2022, 12:08:28 pm »

Solo Star Power might end up a bit different, but shouldn't reach the level of a cost increase. I kinda expect mine to get a cost increase.

To Supernerd, if a card is flipped facedown, can it be flipped faceup on the same turn? The ruling needs clarification.
Manually specifically. Not via card effects, cause if it can't be flipped with effects, that makes shining dawn even weaker in some ways. :)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2022, 12:10:48 pm »

If we end up not getting a zero cost star gain card again then I might see about making the simplest possible one next turn, a spell card, play it and get some stars. Hell, I might do the "Reliable Right Hand" thing and have its one really special ability be that it always starts in your hand, to make sure we can kickstart our other ways of gaining stars. Since we only need the one star to get us started with Meteor shower.
My Power armor arms race

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2022, 05:32:48 pm »

The Battle Phase is now beginning!

Refer to the second post of the Core Thread to see a list of regions and their effects. You now get to pick one as your preferred battlefield. Note that a region is not guaranteed to be a battlefield unless a player from both teams chooses it. If your region is not chosen you will instead play in a random one that was chosen by the opposing team. You will want to build your deck while considering the possibility that you might not fight on your favored terrain, such is the chaos of war!

As a reminder, you cannot pick a preferred region already picked by someone else on your team for this round.

You will also need to pick what cards you want to put in your 40 card deck!
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2022, 05:36:23 pm »

I call dibs on going to the Dragon graveyard, and will make my deck in a bit since I'm currently busy.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2022, 06:27:21 pm »

Picking the City. Will put together my deck a bit later.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2022, 06:52:10 pm »

I'd be happy to accept some deck-building suggestions. I always like to showcase my own cards because I'm a little vain (:P) but it's not a hard requirement.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2022, 10:09:23 pm »

6x Solo star power 3x Big Friendly Ghost 5x Open the gateless gate 4x Firebase 3x Mystery Ghost 3x Beetle Brood 4x Meteor shower 4x Storm Cell 4X Card Cancer 4X summer star maiden
That's 40, no clue how this one will work
Going for Dragon Graveyard. Kinda why I went for so many star maidens, they should restore at least one star when played, and with solo star power and the array of 0 cost cards to get on the field and let me activate Solo star power it should be fine. Originally had 6 Open the Gateless gate, and while that wasn't exactly bad it's effect while potent is most effective in niche situations... Maybe actually... Nevermind I'm switching back, you'll see why.  ;D Long story short, Order of Operations, Turning off card effects, and firebase's inability to attack normally. Basically, if I cast Open the Gateless gate on a Firebase after it has both done its beginning of turn damage and I've paid for the second round, I can effectively get three attacks worth of damage out of it.

Included a couple broomstick witches, though I doubt I'll get them, just to have something to needle down opponents if it comes to it.

Question, is open the Gateless Gate's effect permanent?
Edit: Added Card Cancer to help me with controlling the field, otherwise all my spell cards for removing enemy units from the field would have also harmed my own stuff. Plus it's a nice ability to let me fuck up any bullshit. When paired with Big Friendly ghost and being able to make that one face down via Solo Star Power I should be able to control the field well enough.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:55:18 am by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2022, 12:18:27 am »

I'm thinking that I'll call The Stinking Mire, though mainly randomly honestly.

Deck wise... 6x Storm Cell and 6x Solo Star Power to start things off, then 6x Big Friendly Ghosts for the other flip effect card we have, and then 6x Mystery Ghosts for generally good stabbing cards and 6x Wooly cards for their come into play effect. That puts me at thirty. Then I'll take 6x Firebase for something to spend those stars on, and spend my last four slots on 4x Card Cancer cards to deal with their summoning and banishing plays.

...Looking at that list again, that feels a bit low on easily summonable creatures. On the other hand, that's a category that's half of my list, but I don't trust the shuffling fairies not to deck screw me. On the gripping hand, if I end up with a hand full of storm cells, well, that just means I nuke things over and over again, and Card Cancers are also their own answer to the enemy playing annoying monsters, so the main risk is Solo Star Powers and Firebases with nothing to support them, and that's a risk I'll have to take if I want to take any expensive cards.

I'd be happy to accept some deck-building suggestions. I always like to showcase my own cards because I'm a little vain (:P) but it's not a hard requirement.
If you want to do your own cards, you probably want to do Naglfar/Firebase/Meteor Shower, with Naglfar to keep the enemy from attacking while the firebase and the showers bombards them down. Probably something like, just off the top of my head, grab 6x Solo Star Power, 6x Summer Star Maiden, 6x Meteor Shower because you'll need the star generation, then 6x Naglfar and 6x Firebase to actually get those, that's... 30 cards, probably want to spend the last ten on things to hold the line, so something like 6x BFG to work with the Solo Star Power and 4 Windy Plains Sheep as our best blockers? Or Mystery Ghosts, they're less reliable but the extra damage could be useful. Wooly would also work for that drop in ping damage.

With that list intended on using a game plan of Solo Star Power to flip your cards face down to live through the Meteor Showers if needed while BFG bounces threats back into the enemy hand and the Firebase blasts away through the Naglfar stalls. The big risk is star stalling again, so you might want to cut down on some of those Summer Star Maidens or Meteor Showers for more 0 drops to hold the line while you get the engine going, but once that engine is going you should be able to do a lot of damage.

Alternatively, replace the BFGs with Broomstick Witches for purposes of color matching, because they're dark grey just like like Meteor Showers, while Firebases and Summer Star Maidens are both red, to maximize chances of getting the three in a row trigger for the STM's damage ability. Or Mystery Ghosts because they're light grey and would therefor share a color match with Naglfar, but I'm not sure if a half color would count or if Naglfar would only trigger that with other half grey half light blue cards?

The BFGs are honestly a big fragile, so while their bounce ability is still useful, dropping them down to 4x and going 6x on either the Mystery Ghost, Wooly, or Windy Plains Sheep should also probably be considered because you need stuff to live to use Solo Star Power.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:20:09 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2022, 01:42:57 am »

Future cards

Waterbase: Some sort of carddraw effect

Earthbase: A defensive effect, preventing damage or attacks to any cards other than itself for its owner while in play. Big and beefy building

Airbase: Summons aircraft tokens.

Starbase: Whenever another card you control comes into play, gain a star

Moonbase (Possibly moonbase alpha): (Not resized yet)
Spoiler: big image (click to show/hide)
Whenever you gain a star, place a laser counter on Moonbase Alpha. You may remove laser counters equal to a card's star cost (floor cost of 1) to send a target card to the graveyard
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2022, 04:22:01 pm »

Bit late for this, but think the boat and the base would compliment each other a bit. Since it's not an attack and occurs every turn, it just results in steady depletion. Pretty sure they would have a method of bypass by this point though.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2022, 08:33:57 am »

As a question, is the Virus card retroactive in it's targeting?

Dick Dastardly xP1
Wooly x6
Sheep/Windy Plains x6
Storm Cell x4
Mystery Ghost x6
Meteor Shower x4
Summer Star Maiden x5
Firebase x4
Solo Star Power x4
Olden Plains Windmill x6

Anyway, my deck choice. To.. The City!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of question is if meteor shower and storm cell count as terrain cards. Same with the Gateless Gate being a building card. If so my deck might change to keep two of them around.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 08:42:06 am by TricMagic »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »

Haven't really been in much this weekend, sorry about that.
Going to go for 4× each of: Cancer, Solo, Firebase, BFG, Witch, Woolly, Beetle, Meteor, Naglfar, Gateless. Equal numbers are low-effort.

I guess I'll pick the volcano.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23