Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread  (Read 11630 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2022, 11:20:35 am »

I will admit that the "4 damage to all cards at zero star cost" thing never should have been allowed. I allowed it because I was expecting players to counter it very strongly, but that never ended up happening.

I will not host this on discord. If you want to play it on discord you will need to find someone else willing to run it.

Also: Would anyone be opposed to having this iteration of the game come to an end?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2022, 11:29:36 am »

I'm fine with that. And yeah, the 4 damage field with no drawback isn't great. (I wasn't entirely sure how to counter such, since the only card I know can is Pretty Cure Mint Protection from another game.)

Also, mind posting the prize cards in core?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2022, 11:54:29 am »

I will not host this on discord. If you want to play it on discord you will need to find someone else willing to run it.
It was just a suggestion. Is there a particular reason why you are opposed? (Also, to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the entire game be on Discord, just the battles (although I suppose it's likely that other discussion of the game would migrate there as well))
Long Live United Forenia!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 22, 2022, 01:04:01 pm »

I'm happy if we call it here. I'm getting games in the legacy game at the moment anyhow. That said, I would almost certainly play in any successor game.

The alternative would be a player from Team G defects to the other team and we continue on.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 22, 2022, 02:29:32 pm »

I will admit that the "4 damage to all cards at zero star cost" thing never should have been allowed. I allowed it because I was expecting players to counter it very strongly, but that never ended up happening.
But like. How? How do you counter that?

Also: Would anyone be opposed to having this iteration of the game come to an end?
I'd be fine with that.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2022, 03:07:03 pm »

Off the top of my head, a damage storage card that you play facedown. A card that prevents effect damage.(Rich runs the likely risk of just being destroyed if it's a 0 star.) And one that reflects effect damage back at the user, also facedown.

While Fall Maiden is nice, it really needs cards that take full advantage beyond just the BFG. Anything that's face up, can't really counter it properly unless it is itself a high star card. And then it gets stolen.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 22, 2022, 03:17:56 pm »

Off the top of my head, a damage storage card that you play facedown. A card that prevents effect damage.(Rich runs the likely risk of just being destroyed if it's a 0 star.) And one that reflects effect damage back at the user, also facedown.
But that would work on all damage. And would thus have to be of a high cost itself.

Mind you, I did come up with some countermeasures, but didn't think implementing them was worth it:
*Card Name: Lightning Rod
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Yellow
Attack: 0
Hearts: 1
Stars: 0
Card Effect: This card cannot block.
  Any effect that would affect multiple cards instead only affects this card.
Flavor Text: Works on meteors too!
Metadata: Counters boardwipes.
Reference:

######

*Card Name: Weather Station
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: White
Hearts: 6
Stars: 1
Card Effect: Meteorological cards cannot affect cards you control.
Flavor Text: Forecast says slight chance of meteor showers. Bring a titanium umbrella.
Metadata: A hard counter to Storm Cell and Meteor Shower. Dies to attacks.
Reference:

######

*Card Name: Bunker Network
*Card Picture: [map of underground bunker]
*Background Color: Brown
Hearts: 5
Stars: 1
Card Effect: Bombardment and weather cards cannot affect other cards you control.
Flavor Text:
Metadata: Counter to Storm Cell, Meteor Shower, and Firebase (and Unintentional Bombardment). Dies to regular attacks.
Reference:

E: It just occurred to me that this would be a nightmare to implement. Imagine, I play UB while you have your reflector facedown. I don't know about the facedown card's effects, obviously, so I can't write my turn to apply it. So having written up my turn, I pass it to you, whereupon you announce that "Actually, half of your turn didn't happen, and now you have to redo it to reflect the reflection that happened". That's... no. Just no.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:28:40 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2022, 03:50:53 pm »

Pretty much that yes.

Honestly fully on board the reset, clear the board, take a bit of a break, an come back. (Team G wins this one.)

And a Damage Storage card doesn't really need hearts. Or attack.

*Card Name: Perpetual Storage Cell
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: White
Hearts: 0
Stars: 0
Card Effect: Play this card facedown. When this card is flipped faceup, discharge all effect damage it took from your opponent while facedown to a target. While this card is facedown, if a card is destroyed by a card effect: Increase the damage it deals when flipped by 1 per card destroyed.
Flavor Text: Who says free energy is impossible?
Metadata:
Reference:

Of course, this type of thing is completely out of my character theme..
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 03:53:13 pm by TricMagic »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2022, 05:49:58 am »

I did consider doing something in this line...

*Card Name: Phantasmal Knight
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: Silver
Attack: 4
Hearts: 4
Stars: 2
Card Effect: Only effects that specifically target Phantasmal Knight effect Phantasmal Knight. At the beginning of your turn, Phantasmal Knight's health is set to Phantasmal Knight's maximum health value.
Flavor Text: "In the land of the fey, even illusions can be real."
Metadata:
Reference:

But I kept getting pulled off on other cards I wanted to make.

Or just 'Elusive Phantom : Cards which effect all cards on the field do not effect Elusive Phantom.'

I do want to say that I had fun with this game, and even though I lost the last round that didn't keep me from having fun playing it, and my inactivity this last creation round was as much being Real Lifed as anything else. So thank you for running this Supernerd because even if we end here and I don't manage to catch another version of this, this was a real pleasure to play and get to create cards for.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2022, 11:07:07 am »

Or just make your own version and see how we counter it :V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2022, 11:09:31 am »

Against my better, better, very much better judgement, I am going to ask Stirk if they feel like running CYOGTCG.
Stirk, do you feel like running a CYOGTCG game?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2022, 11:13:04 am »

Against my better, better, very much better judgement, I am going to ask Stirk if they feel like running CYOGTCG.
Stirk, do you feel like running a CYOGTCG game?

Stirk does not feel like running a CYOGTCG game :V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2022, 10:07:14 pm »

Alright, I am going to bring this game to an official close (After the thing with Forum Runner 3. Still going to do that).

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2022, 05:25:14 am »

Congrats Team G for excellent team work. And to Team E for valiant opposition. And finally, thanks to Supernerd for running the game.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2022, 06:59:25 pm »

Welcome back to the world of CYOGTCG Wars! The game isn't dead quiiiiiite yet. After all, we still need to resolve the Forum Runner~

Feel free to stick around to watch as TricMagic and notquitethere clash in the ancient art of Card Game Battle. This time, with an entirely new deck of cards! This battle takes place on another continent in the same world, this time as their Forum Runner character instead of as Eric or Gruscilla the Bog Witch!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 07:28:55 pm by Supernerd »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15