Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread  (Read 11695 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread - More players wanted!
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2022, 10:26:40 pm »

Well. Let me just say. VERY eager to test out some new toys this round. We've made some fun stuff and I think I've put together an OK deck for it.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2022, 11:41:19 pm »

Had the interesting concept of a Creeper World based deck that makes massive use of the Background Colors mechanic

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2022, 10:56:05 am »

May be another day before I can put together the deck. Bit tired. As usual for saturdays.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2022, 05:16:13 pm »

Still waiting on TricMagic and Maximum Spin now.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2022, 02:34:30 am »

Is there a suggested way of simulating a deck? I expected to find a custom deck simulator with a quick googling, but the only working one I found is Tabletop, which I don't own (I'm assuming it works, since it costs money). Obviously I could get some actual cards and write the numbers 1-40 on them, but if there's an easier way I'd love to hear it.
(I was looking cos Stirk suggested holding an internal test match to try out hypothetical cards, which sounded like a decent idea to me)
Long Live United Forenia!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2022, 03:20:26 am »

I use a spreadsheet and have all the cards in a big list which I randomise using random.org (there might be a way to do it natively in excel but haven't looked into that), and I use the background fill colour to black out all cards in the list beyond the first five (I do this step first, so each time I reshuffle the deck, I don't know what's coming up). Then each time I "draw" a card, I'm just colouring the top list item white.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2022, 04:38:45 am »

I use a spreadsheet and have all the cards in a big list which I randomise using random.org (there might be a way to do it natively in excel but haven't looked into that), and I use the background fill colour to black out all cards in the list beyond the first five (I do this step first, so each time I reshuffle the deck, I don't know what's coming up). Then each time I "draw" a card, I'm just colouring the top list item white.
It's a bit jank, but it works.
To do it natively (for anyone else looking for a way to simulate a deck), make a column A with cells 1-40 having the formula =RAND() (blacked out), and the decklist in column B (blacked out). Then select column A, and go Data>Sort sheet>Sort sheet by column A (A-Z). This has shuffled your decklist. To reshuffle, "Sort sheet by column A (A-Z)" again. To shuffle only the remainder of the deck, select the area from A-[top card number] to B-41 (tip: give B-41 a different fill colour), and "Sort range by column A (A-Z)". To shuffle a card back into the deck, swap the name with the most recent card you drew, black out that cell, and then shuffle it in.
To do anything more complicated, I dunno, figure it out. Make a copy of the sheet before you mess around with it, so if you screw up you can revert.

Anyway, this method works well enough for me. Thanks for the tip.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2022, 06:38:18 am »

I've been using a "pull a name from a list" program that auto-removes the pulled names.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2022, 04:11:20 pm »

websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2022, 04:38:05 pm »

This game makes a pretty good case for an Arms Race subforum, even compared to Mafia and RTD going 7 threads back takes you to August.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:11 pm »

Will shuffle deck and start playing tomorrow.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2022, 08:18:30 am »

Not the best turn, but such is how that card works. Would have been nice to roll a single color to take out that refinery, but can't win em all. Instead I get four stars. Quite nice for going second.

Also I brought windmills to the city. And a gun. *Eat out your heart strik, we have firepower and maidens!*

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2022, 01:24:08 pm »

Well, not a great start. At least on the surface. Hopefully I haven't completely screwed myself over with deckbuilding. Or fucked up something else.
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2022, 03:55:40 pm »

I would like to register a formal complaint to the GM. Though it might stem more from my own misunderstanding of how each card works.

These cards have the same general board wipe effect. Except. One of them is significantly weaker than the other.
Storm cell has a delay and because of how it's worded, reducing max hearts rather than dealing damage, I think it would be fair to rule that if you don't die to storm cell you don't lose any hearts. Storm cell also cannot hurt face down cards, which the delay gives the enemy a chance to exploit. Why? Because it doesn't say that "All cards permanently have their max hearts reduced by four" but rather "Reduce the max health of all Face Up cards by four". Naglfar, which has similarly ambiguous wording around how long its effect lasts, only has said effect last a single turn. Both Naglfar and Storm Cell could feasibly have their effects be permanent, or in Naglfar's case last as long as the card is on the field, but instead Naglfar's effect only lasts for one turn.This means that, as far as I know, the reduction isn't permanent but rather temporary and perhaps even instant.

Unintentional bombardment is a 0 cost board wipe that will kill just about any 0 or even 1 or more star cost card on the field, with little to no chance to counter. Actions wise, it's a bit busted. You can't meaningfully counter it besides somehow keeping it out of their hand, keeping them from playing it, or setting up a card specifically to deal with it. Any counter to it is likely to have a star cost while it has none. It doesn't have the delay and all or nothing nature of Storm Cell, it doesn't have the randomness or cost of Meteor shower, it's a card that gets played and instantly wipes the board of pretty much everything.

This just feels Off to me. Especially since no cards shown besides Olden Plains Windmill and Pacifist Gun Waifu have enough health to survive the attack. Olden Plains Windmill is another thing I have a gripe with since it lacks the one feature it was built to have because tric couldn't decide on a numerical value for that feature and so left it out of the description and put it in metadata for the GM to decide. Which resulted in it being utterly useless outside of niche interactions.

I would like to explicitly state that I don't believe either of these are due to any malice from any parties. Just simple mistakes like everyone make sometimes. Or they could just be me seeing something where there isn't anything, in which case I would like an explanation for how exactly these two cards are equal.
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2022, 04:23:11 pm »

While there are definitely scenarios that can be constructed where Storm Cell is better, I'd agree that in most cases UB is better due to giving no time to react.
Mind you, I kinda feel like all three board wipes (these two and Meteor) are too powerful. Their low cost (often negative, in Meteor Shower's case) makes going wide with low-heart creatures completely untenable. If it were up to me, all of them would cost an extra star, and UB would only do 3 damage.
But it isn't up to me, and it is possible to devise workarounds. If Supernerd is happy with the cards as they are, so be it.
That said, I don't think Supernerd should be locked out of changing cards if they want to- balancing cards is always going to be a challenge, and there should be opportunities to correct mistakes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15