Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Cockroach Graveyard, Turn 23  (Read 19267 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Overflow Bin, Room 7, Turn A1
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2022, 04:13:30 pm »

Are improvised weapons a thing in this game? Or do we need to find that out ourselves?

You'd have to experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2022, 05:03:07 pm »

Derp, I got the colors swapped. Shoulda rushed the orange nerds.

Using Curse of Circe on those blasters before they can blast would be a real good idea, but we have no idea if foes get opportunity attacks or what and it's only a 2m range spell. Hrm...

We've only got 13 HP left, so I don't feel safe trying to rush past them and then being the closest target to the remaining blaster. But I don't like our odds letting them do a frontline tank/rearline firing line combo either.

Assemble/Disassemble (6m Range, Choose to inflict or heal 6d6 damage to a construct within range, or 3d6 damage to a non-construct predominantly made of wood, bone, or solid inorganic material. 2 uses per room)
That said, worth noting that we can probably x2 heal Jameson for 3d6 each, so having him tank dangerous blaster shots while we cower in the (relative) back is probably an okay strategy. Stalling for Bugbearstein to swarm the enemy with polygoblins might work?

Do we know how big tiles are meterwise? Combat tutorial doesn't seem to have covered that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2022, 05:58:39 pm »

Do we know how big tiles are meterwise? Combat tutorial doesn't seem to have covered that.

1m = 1 tile.

Or rather 1 tile equals an arbitrary, undefined, nonconstant, but mechanically significant volume of space. I use 'meter' and 'tile' interchangeably because I run/play TTRPGs that do 1 tile = 1 meter/yard.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2022, 06:52:05 pm »

Maybe we should try playing commander after all.

Use Animate Tool on the machete, order it to chop at whatever Jameson is engaging. Then tell Jameson to rush past the melee nerd and attack one of those glowing ones. Switch to cane for our personal weapon.

It's possible but unlikely we'll eat 13 damage in one round (unless those orange blasters are gunning for us, in which case... welp), but it's likely we'll take a good deal of our remaining health. So next round we can use Narrate Epic Deed to heal up to full and either attack or, if Jameson or the machete take a lot of damage, use Assemble to heal them for 6d6 (animated machete construct) or 3d6 (minotaur presumably made mostly of bone).

It's likely polygoblins will continue spawning from the stasis field and doing... not a lot, but adding more to our forces over time, so we can probably afford to hold out and wait for Bugbearstein to get shit done. It's also likely that he himself is a fairly serious threat, so assuming he engages the upper orange nerd next round, we should end up with a powerful duo thrashing around slightly outnumbered down south, us holding the line against two punch-nerds with a steady stream of cannon fodder, and an enraged bugbear flanking the gun nerd up top and then collapsing into our melee.

Which... should be advantageous? Little worried about our southern front, but even that is largely because we don't know how movement in a melee works.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2022, 08:04:11 pm »

Use Animate Tool on the machete, order it to chop at whatever Jameson is engaging. Then tell Jameson to rush past the melee nerd and attack one of those glowing ones. Switch to cane for our personal weapon.
+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2022, 12:22:22 am »

You mutter the incantations to cause your machete to rise into the air and act on its own, giving it standing orders to attack whatever Jameson engages. You then produce your walking stick, and attempt to bark orders to the Minotaur... Sadly the undead begins another attack on its current target before you can get the words out of your mouth!

Reminder: Giving/Changing orders is not a free action, except on turns where you use a friendly spell/action on the recipient.

Quote from: Underling Attacks
Jameson Horns to Hit: 11 + 5 = 16
Horns Damage: 4 + 1 = 5

Machete Chop to Hit: 13 + 8 = 21
Chop Damage: 3 + 2 = 5

Jameson's horn attack knocks the brawling nerd off balance, and the flying machete's follow-up chop cleanly removes his goddamn head!

"Dammit lad! We can't have em charging up!"

Dr. Bugbearstien produces a flask of fuming green liquid, steps foward, and hurls the payload at the closest 'charged' enemy. The Polygoblin charges forward and winds up a punch, which it throws at the nerd you are engaged with.

Quote from: Goblinoid Attacks
Dr. Bugbearstien successfully hits middle blaster nerd with a mystery vial, inflicting unknown damage and the poisoned condition.
The Polygoblin successfully hits the nerd in front of you with a punch, inflicting unknown damage.

The vial finds its target, shattering into a million tiny pieces and covering the nerd with its foul contents! The poor fool promptly begins to look sick!

The Polygoblin punches the nerd in front of you, doing little damage, but successfully drawing attention away from yourself. The enemies then attack, starting with the brawlers!

Quote from: Melee Enemies
You block one incoming attack!
The Polygoblin is hit for an unknown amount of damage!

Each of the remaining melee enemies punch across. The northernmost foe targets you, but his attack is again met harmlessly by your shield!

The southernmost foe punches at the Polygoblin! The blow connects, and the low-poly creature explodes into giblets!

Quote from: Ranged Enemies
Dr. Bugbearstien avoids an incoming blast!
Jameson is hit by a charged blast for 7 damage!

The northernmost blaster enemy shoots at the bugbear again, but this time the attack goes wide, nearly hitting the nerdy looking kid in stasis before sputtering out!

The foe hit by the bugbear's flask coughs up some blood before unleashing his charged attack at Jameson! The beam pierces through your monster's torso, inflicting significant damage, and travels a good deal further than the uncharged beam did.

The southernmost ranged foe continues to charge his gauntlet even further! It now glows so bright that it is illuminating the room!

A fresh Polygoblin spawns in the stasis area!

How do you proceed?

Assets by DALL-E, Midjourney, and Playground AI. Character Sheet.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Overflow Bin, Room 7, Turn A2
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2022, 03:58:22 am »

Should we have Jameson and the machete split up and attack the two ranged guys or should they stick together?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2022, 10:11:44 am »

I think they should stay together so that we can focus each ranged enemy down as quickly as possible.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2022, 01:17:47 pm »

I think they should stay together so that we can focus each ranged enemy down as quickly as possible.
Yeah. We need to get them to work together, and speaking of:
We definitely need to order Jameson to attack the supercharged nerd (the machete should follow up thanks to its own orders), after which we can give the brawler nerd to our direct right a caning.

Open to suggestions, but I still think we need to do something to get rid of the supercharged one. That thing is probably gonna hit very hard.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2022, 01:21:43 pm »

Reminder: Giving/Changing orders is not a free action, except on turns where you use a friendly spell/action on the recipient.
Damn. I thought I remembered that being a rule, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

We definitely need to order Jameson to attack the supercharged nerd (the machete should follow up thanks to its own orders), after which we can give the brawler nerd to our direct right a caning.
No we can't, because of the above rule. We can spend a whole round ordering him, cast Assemble on him to heal him and give orders as a free action, Narrate Epic Deed to heal ourselves to full and take another non-bard action (either ordering or healing and ordering, as above), but we're gonna have to pick and choose.

You're correct that we need, and I mean need, to deal with that ultracharger, but my vote goes towards turning him into a pig. There's a chance Jameson and Machete will pick him to murder first anyway, but we really can't take less-than-coinflip odds of getting spirit bombed next round.

Dash 3 tiles southeast and use Curse of Circe on the red-glowing nerd.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2022, 01:24:18 pm »

Quote from: IronyOwl
No we can't, because of the above rule. We can spend a whole round ordering him, cast Assemble on him to heal him and give orders as a free action, Narrate Epic Deed to heal ourselves to full and take another non-bard action (either ordering or healing and ordering, as above), but we're gonna have to pick and choose.
Oh, I didn't realize that was a full-turn action. My bad.
Quote from: IronyOwl
In light of that, +1 to this.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2022, 03:33:46 pm »

Quote from: Opprotunity Attacks
You are attacked twice. Neither attack hits.

You attempt to disengage from your current melee. Both the fighters within reach of you take a swing as you move, but you are able block one of the incoming attacks with your shield, and avoid the other entirely.

Moving southeast, you hop over the headless nerd the Jameson just dealt with and end up right in the face of the blaster who has spent the last two rounds charging up.

How about you don't do that, piggy!

You mutter a few more incantations, and watch as your once dangerous foe is transformed!

Jameson charges, past the brawlers who have already wasted their opportunity attacks against you, to unleash a Bullrush against the northern blaster nerd! The Machete follows close behind.

Quote from: Allied Attacks
Bullrush Horn Attack to Hit: 8 + 5 + 5 = 18
Bullrush Damage: 1 + 1 = 2
Machete Chop to Hit: 13 + 8 = 21
Machete Damage: 3 + 2 = 5

Dr. Bugbearstien and his Polygoblin both charge the remaining melee enemies. The Bugbear takes one swing with the sharp claws on each of his hands, while his low-poly minion throws a single punch!

Quote from: Goblinoid Attacks
Dr. Bugbearstien hits the southernmost brawler twice for unknown damage!
The Polygoblin attacks the northernmost brawler, but misses.

Dr. Bugbearstien's claws are quick and effective, reducing the already injured brawler to flesh confetti in a matter of moments! Some of the gore gets into the Polygoblin's eyes, causing its punch attack to swing wide and miss the remaining target.

Quote from: Melee Enemy Attack
The remaining brawler attempts to attack Dr. Bugbearstien, but misses!

The final brawler attacks the bugbear who reduced his friend to ribbons in a rage, but the not-so-good doctor's claws are more than strong enough to parry the gauntlet strike!

Quote from: Ranged Enemy Attack
The northern blaster shoots Jameson for 2 damage!
The poisoned blaster attempts to shoot you, but misses.

The blaster to the north takes a single measured step back to avoid an opportunity attack, before grazing Jameson's shoulder with another beam of energy.

The newly transformed pig looks at you, ponders its situation briefly, and takes a careful measured step through the blue warp distortion, fleeing the battle without drawing an opportunity attack. The poisoned blaster hacks up some more blood, offers up a widely inaccurate final shot that comes closer to hitting the ceiling than it does to striking you, and follows his piggified comrade through the portal.

"Ohohoho! The tide is turning now, lad! Lets finish them!"

How do you proceed?

Assets by DALL-E, Midjourney, and Playground AI. Character Sheet.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Overflow Bin, Room 7, Turn A3
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2022, 03:42:16 pm »

Seems like our best option now is to let Jameson/Machete do their thing, dash over to the remaining brawler nerd, and give them a thwacking with our walking stick. (Unless the nerd vanished but going on the map there's still a brawler nerd hanging around)

Are there any unique rules for moving diagonally? Doesn't seem like it at the moment, but that could potentially throw a wrench in this if there is.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2022, 03:45:42 pm »

Are there any unique rules for moving diagonally? Doesn't seem like it at the moment, but that could potentially throw a wrench in this if there is.

Nope

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2022, 03:54:54 pm »

Seems like our best option now is to let Jameson/Machete do their thing, dash over to the remaining brawler nerd, and give them a thwacking with our walking stick. (Unless the nerd vanished but going on the map there's still a brawler nerd hanging around)
+1.  Now we're just cleaning up.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31