Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding better production of Wood (Types/Amounts) [Help?]  (Read 804 times)

Drakonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding better production of Wood (Types/Amounts) [Help?]
« on: August 26, 2022, 10:06:57 pm »

Hi Everyone,
Along with some ideas for modding Firewood I thought of some other ideas involving Trees and Wood-Farming in general. Could Anyone point me towards on how to implement some of those?

Chopping Trees Provide Firewood in addition to logs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creating [Grown] wood through Tree Farms
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding better production of Wood (Types/Amounts) [Help?]
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 02:40:00 pm »

Well, for the first one i think its not distinguishable to have a tree drop more than one material the tree defines itself structurally (you dont have a choice to selectively take anything other than the trunk). So I would have a reaction that breaks it up wherever applicable into four logs/objects of the firewood type, which can be each pushed through a woodburning furnace for multiplicative gains.

As for the second one, you can set up the 'grown' flag via DFhack scripts, then tie it to specific workshop recipies due to the flag not being applicable ingame via your own crafting without it. To get any sort of direct things done, normally dues-ex-machina wood generation like you see in vanilla elf-themed modifications usually have some sort of shrine or offering of equvilent exhange.

Actually growing the ingredients in normal farmplots then processing them through to different stages is a different thing entirely, I've seen mods where people take farm grown "saplings" then push them into workshops to make a seed & reusable wood.

Sense of balance is up to you really though.