Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Questions  (Read 942 times)

thegamezbeplayed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat Questions
« on: August 22, 2022, 10:03:15 am »

Two handed weapons in vanilla are very lackluster. This is due how important shields are. Shields are basically OP and I plan on nerfing them a bit. However I was also wondering what can be done tot he attack types for weapons.

Does anything encourage the ability to parry? ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER for example if I am preparing or recovering from an attack does this mean I cannot parry, dodge, or block?

And then there is the flags [ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK]  and [ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]  does independent mean the enemies attack was interupted? What exactly is bad flag?

Also what dictates if a weapon gets stuck? Is it velocity? or perhaps a combination of other factors like contact area?

I am looking at Sev's combat rework as inspiration and am trying to understand how he was able to reduce the contact areas by almost 90% in some cases. Are weapons just way weaker in general in his rework? Or do the contact areas have a small effect?

Also if there is a combat specific thread someone can point me to thatd be great!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 09:49:32 pm »

I think preparing and recovering both give a penalty to parrying/blocking/dodging, not sure if they prevent it completely.

ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK means exactly what it says: it can be done as a multiattack independent of other attacks, i.e. there's no penalty for using this attack alongside another attack. Nothing to do with enemy attacks. BAD_MULTIATTACK means a much worse penalty than normal for multiattacks.

Stuck weapons are contact area, velocity and penetration. Basically all of them, in other words.

Smaller contact area makes weapons stronger, since they have the same force over a smaller area, i.e. they're capable of breaking through armor and tissue layers better.

thegamezbeplayed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 01:21:26 pm »

I have read on the wiki that ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK  means the creature will use all attacks with this flag at once but that doesnt make sense. Unless it means that the other hand or bodypart can do its own attack.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 09:32:45 pm »

Putnam's comment on token BAD_MULTIATTACK is about the penalties to a player control unit.

For NPCs, the token BAD_MULTIATTACK is meant to prohibit its paring with ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK.

Any NPC's initial attack that has token ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK means that this attack can be paired with any follow-up attack with or without that token, *but* not with any attack that has token ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK.

So say you changed the whip to have INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK instead of BAD_MULTIATTACK, this would make an NPC who chose lash to pair lash with punch, scratch, bite (all of which are without a flag), but not kick because kick has BAD_MULTIATTACK.

----------------

Also in regard to Sver's mod, a thing (in my view) to keep in mind is, besides being a combat overhaul, his mod is also a force transfer dampening mod. This means his material template changes (to dampen force transfer) are meant to work with his weapon system and this is partly a reason for contact area changes, as well as the intent to allow for armor penetration.