Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iris' descent into game dev hell  (Read 3349 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Iris' descent into game dev hell
« on: August 20, 2022, 04:04:15 am »

So in a fit of temporary insanity, I have decided to learn Unity. Since I have way too many ideas and I can't figure out which ones to pursue, and because I need someone to hold me accountable in my learning (and not at all influenced by Delphonso's thread nosiree) I thought "why not make a thread tracking my progress?".

So this is that! I will post whenever I do something interesting - since I don't think the absolute beginner Unity experience is a particularly riveting one - which is hopefully at least once a week.

Context: I am a software engineering major. I have a working knowledge of Python - enough to make simple passion projects in it - though no knowledge of digital content creation or C# and dreadfully little training in algorithmic thinking. It is entirely possible I am biting off far more than I can chew and will crash and burn within two weeks, in which case I apologize for leading you on.

Now to the fun part!

Idea One is a modular crafting system which would eventually be attached to an isometric RPG set in a dark, gothic magitech world that has been taken over by both machines and mysterious disease. Heavily inspired by classical Fallout.

Immediate goals: Implement "parts" and "tags" that affect the final product and a simple menu to combine them. Some "parts" synergize, yet others are mutually exclusive. The final use of the tool is determined by all the "tags" it holds.

Idea Two is a spaceship creator that would be used for a 4X/grand strategy game. While I intend to eventually go into enough detail to make Rule the Waves or Aurora blush, for now, it is simple.

Immediate goals: Create a ship creator utilizing a set of "modules" that can attach to each other. It would be strongly preferable not to use a grid system. Calculate ship stats from these parts.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iris' descent into game dev hell
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 05:30:33 am »

I really like the sound of idea one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 05:55:42 am »

Welcome to hell, Iris.

I also think option one sounds quite interesting. Reminds me vaguely of Vagrant Story, just on the surface.

I found learning in public (the term for this style of like...posting about what you're learning about and getting constant feedback and advice) to be really successful in my own learning process. Happy to read along.

Obligatory "How about Godot" comment here, too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:03:15 am by delphonso »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 06:15:33 am »

Idea One it is! Now if only I could get the UI Builder working...

Obligatory "How about Godot" comment here, too.

Unity was what I was recommended, so that's what I decided to learn, though I'm not so attached to it so as to not abandon ship if something better comes along.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 07:03:32 am »

Godot is FOSS and uses Python's syntax if that helps. It has good documentation, but can't really compete with Unity's 3D capabilities. In 2D, I think Godot is a clear winner.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 01:56:54 pm »

Interesting ideas!
Good luck!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 05:15:07 pm »

The saying "Bay12 is a gateway drug into coding" becomes truer by the day.

One more poor soul joins the pit of torment.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 11:08:18 am »

Doing light research to find out what goes into a game makes me realize that, wow, I have no idea how to do any of this. I am a passable programmer, but game design? Artwork? Putting it all together with the engine? Totally beyond me. It's a little overwhelming and quite frankly I don't know where to start.

So, to keep things moving, I'll just work on mechanics. One thing at a time. I don't need to know it all at once.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 11:32:45 pm »

You can get art packs online. In reality though, you should probably aim lower. Like way, way lower for first Unity project.

Something like: focus on making a game with just UI only, like an idle game.
Then a simple platformer. Etc.
You want to basically have projects to learn each little aspect of both how Unity works and how to actually design a game.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 01:37:41 am »

If making a 3D game seems hard what about making a 2D game with ASCII graphics?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 02:59:26 pm »

The issue I have been trying to avoid is that simple projects bore me to tears. Doing the "microgames" and the Unity Essentials Pathway made me want to throw myself out of a window.

That's why I've set immediate goals that are much simpler, so I can say to myself "this is going to be cool someday!" For the crafting project, for instance, my immediate goals are programming UI and reading "parts" and "tags" from JSON within the Unity/C# environment. The game is going to be an RPG one day, but for now, I just want to get the crafting and inventory menu working.

Speaking of: I ran into a small problem yesterday. Specifically, I realized I didn't know what the results of the crafting system were going to be used for, which meant I had a hard time making parts or envisioning what they would be combined with to make.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 03:20:09 am »

So your currently trying to make part of a game right now rather than a whole game, will the whole game your planing on making be full 3D?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 10:39:20 am »

So your currently trying to make part of a game right now rather than a whole game, will the whole game your planing on making be full 3D?
VR obviously

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 07:39:38 pm »

Yes. Each component of the game will be roughly self-contained so I don't go overboard. Then I can hopefully combine them and (eventually) I'll have something cool!

Idea 2 was planned to be full 3D, yes, though Idea 1 will likely stay isometric for the time being.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 04:11:10 am »

Isometric sounds cool, doesn't seem like it's used that much anymore and that's a shame.
Pages: [1] 2