Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guardian Spirit - Learn, Protect, Love  (Read 2331 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardian Spirit - Learn, Protect, Love
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 06:59:48 am »

Hmm, she's... interesting. I won't jump to any conclusions, but she doesn't give off the best vibe to me.

We should tell her to lighten up a bit. Then go with her on that walk around the village.

As for the name, someone else will have to come up with one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:15:52 am by Strik3r »
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 04:52:50 pm »

Hmm, she's... interesting. I won't jump to any conclusions, but she give off the best vibe to me.

We should tell her to lighten up a bit. Then go with her on that walk around the village.

Sounds good to me, but I really want to see the lay of the land and landmarks, afterwards.

+1.

Btw, our name is “Kaen”.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:27:35 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 04:50:43 am »

Hmm, she's... interesting. I won't jump to any conclusions, but she give off the best vibe to me.

+1

Name idea Bubba.

Why a human it seems like people always chose those when it comes to games like this, why couldn't we be a dog or a deer?

You will be pleased to know your Form is entirely mutable. As it may suit you in the future, you may alter it as you'd like - after all, it's just one of many ways you can Act on the world.
Glad to hear that we won't always have to be stuck as a boring human.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 06:28:16 pm »

Changed my mind.  Our name is “Enko”.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 08:44:05 pm »

+1
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 11:37:13 pm »

+1

Actually, our full name is “Hinote-Enko-no-<Insert name of wherever the heck we are>-no-Hi-no-Kami”, or “Enko” for short.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2022, 02:28:02 am »

NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 01:56:18 pm »

(thank you for your patience y'all, work at the pharmacy has been a nightmare. I'll try to get an update out tonight.)
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 02:12:19 am »

I've never been able to figure out how you guys come up with the names you do for games like this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 03:02:23 am »

I've never been able to figure out how you guys come up with the names you do for games like this.
I don't. I'm extremely fucking banal and prone to repetition. I would've had our little guardian spirit be named "Ember", if it was up to me to name it.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2022, 03:24:36 am »

I don't. I'm extremely fucking banal and prone to repetition. I would've had our little guardian spirit be named "Ember", if it was up to me to name it.

Assuming that I’ve got the words in the correct order and we change “Hitome Enko” to Western European name order, my expanded version of Enko’s name roughly translates as (I think) “(The) goddess of fire of <Wherever the heck we are>, Flamechild (or Flamegirl) Hand of Fire”.  On the other hand, I could just be butchering the Japanese language…

Also note that “En”, “Ko”, “Enko”, and “Hinote all have multiple possible meaning in Japanese.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 04:30:50 am »

I also fall into that as I keep using the same characters and names over and over again.

On the other hand, I could just be butchering the Japanese language…
At least you know enough to butcher it, I only know a few random words.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 01:34:06 pm »

I know less then you’re giving me credit for…

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 02:51:01 am »

I know less then you’re giving me credit for…
Still more than the ten or so words I know.

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2022, 04:29:08 am »

You stride forward and tap her gently on the nose, and walk past her. "Lighten up, relax. There's no crisis, right?"

You pause for a second, and turn back.

"Right?"

"No, no. Everything is fine, as much as it ever is." She heaves a long sigh. "I just don't understand celebrating before anything's actually... changed. Look, good Spirit-"

"Enko, please." You give a bright smile of faintly glowing-hot teeth.

"Ah - Enko. That's fine." You can read surprise and confusion radiating off her in waves. "If you really want a name, that's the least we can do. But I want to explain..."

She leans against the fitted-stone wall of the meeting hall and looks you in the eyes, blue to amber. "It isn't easy to live out here. We don't have the tools they trade in the cities, we don't have reliable irrigation outside the river shore. Sometimes the harvest is plentiful, sometimes bugs eat almost everything. And worst of all," - at this she looks down - "we've been at the mercy of any soldiers that pass through. They believe you will change all of that. I'll be honest, and say I don't understand how, but I trust them. Does that make sense?"

You nod, and you do understand. As she mentioned each point, you saw flashes of crisis - flooded fields, an empty larder, and the point of a sharp sword swinging - bringing the concept home to you. These people needed you.

"Feryi. I'm the village shaman. That's mostly providing medicine, advice, and comfort to people in hard times. I'm not a Sorcerer, so you don't have to worry about that." You're not sure what a Sorcerer is, but she doesn't elaborate before she's off, leading you outside.

The glare of the morning sun sweeps upwards from the valley, spread out below the hill the meeting house was built apon. Far north, you can see the winding river that carved the valley, and fields extending outward from it's southern bank where the town's road connects with it. Numerous dwellings are clustered along the road near the fields, some small, some large. Tiny figures move out in the field and between the homes, their auras like little embers in the sunlight.

"Everything is built around the river, Sierties. It floods every year, depositing good soil to be worked. It's a lot of work to till, but it means we get better yields than any other villages around here. Because we generally have good harvests, people have time for other pursuits." The two of you walk down the central road, walking past a trio of massive two-story buildings formed from mud brick. "Those are the clan homes. Our founding families - the Verces, the Fasali, and the Yiti - built them up over time as they bore more children. The Yiti are already outgrowing theirs. They'll have to add a third floor soon, I've heard it's more barracks than bedrooms." (She hides a giggle behind her sleeve.)

You continue, your bare feet leaving no mark in the dust of the path. She leads to a large, sprawling workshop, tables cluttered with urns, amphorae, and vases in various stages of completion, with a massive kiln built from closely fitted stones attached to the side. She points out the short, chubby lady loading wood into the furnace.

"Liapa is our potter. She's been doing this since she was a little girl, and she's never lost her habit of leaving her work half-finished. Every time her workshop got flooded, she'd take it as an excuse to add more tables to cram things onto."

Her voice drops to a low tone. "She's been having an affair with the patriarch of the Verces. It's been a decade, at least - everyone knows by now, but nothing seems to change. It's a disaster just waiting to happen, if you ask me."

You're not really sure why she's telling you this. Some part of you idly wonders if you've made the humans too comfortable around you.

Your guide points out a few more features - the communal farmer's housing around the river shore, the few independent huts of the freshly-migrating poor, and the watermill along the shore. (She explains that it's abandoned every flood, and reclaimed once the water level has dropped.) You're taken back up towards the meeting hall, and this time along a road to the east, shaded by the mountains.

"All the way down this path is one of the better copper mines in the Territory. It's abandoned most of the year, but during flood season we have enough free workers to delve and dig up everything we need for tools, and a bit more for export."

You're upon the forge itself - a squat dome carefully constructed from mud brick, with a huge fire blazing away at the center... You have to restrain yourself from wanting to run over and feel it directly.

"We have to import the tin for proper bronze, though. That comes in down in the market plaza." She motions southward, towards a mass of people and pack animals clustered on a flat slab of stone, built from cobbles pressed into the earth. They're surrounded on all sides by two and three story silos, built from the same mud brick as most of the village.

"It looks like there's a caravan in town today, actually. Usually there wouldn't be so many of them - it must be a group passing through on their way to a city, stopping along their way."

You notice two things, looking down at the plaza. Firstly, that unlike your own people, you can't sense any auras from these visitors. Secondly, the auras of your own, even faint from this distance, give off a definite feeling of distress and concern.

"That's the extent of our community. There's a lot more in the valley, but this is our home. And, I suppose," she nods slowly, "yours." She turns to head back home, unconcerned. "If you would like, I can show you how to see the rest of the valley?"

How do you proceed?

(Wow, I really have a problem with anxiety around writing. It's hard to settle on a final draft... But I hope this turned out alright despite the probably excessive length.)
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!
Pages: 1 [2] 3