Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Spam Space Colony. Turn 7. This is bad.  (Read 1719 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Space Colony, Turn 1
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 09:03:13 am »

BHN

We’re miners, we’re gonna find that good shit, and with a little bit of material persuasion I imagine we can get mercs to do a lot of heavy lifting in a metaphorical sense. Also, they’re probably gonna have a good spread of skills although not as specialized as another choice.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Space Colony, Turn 3
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 04:07:58 pm »

BHL
B) PLAN DORF - A short fellow with an elaborate beard demands you bring a merely adequate amount of hydroponics bays, and extra mining equipment, to build a fully subterranean colony. There will be the supplies to withstand a hostile world for a few turns until the underground complex is ready, but the timelines may be tight. This would be very secure against pirates.
H) Balanced
L) Engineering Designers

The last of the preparations are completed, and your ship passes through the warp gate. As you rocket towards your destination, arrival within weeks or months, you think to yourself how LUCKY YOU ARE THAT THE EMPIRE HAS SUCH A STABLE WORMHOLE NETWORK AND HOW THANKFUL YOU ARE THAT IT WILL NEVER BREAK DOWN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES THAT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE HAHAahaha.

ha.

You're pretty sure that can't happen. Almost certain, in fact.

You have one last important choice before arriving. You need to cast the deciding vote on which of three possible planets you'll land at. All are mineral rich volcanic worlds with hostile atmospheres. Further out you'll find unclaimed planets with better star systems, fewer pirates, and fewer neighbors.
A) Inner Colonies
B) Empire Outskirts
C) Unexplored Frontier

What resources did you bring to outfit your initial space station?
E) Hydroponics + Habitation - This would relatively simplify shuttle logistics, reduce the initial housing rush, and significantly reduce your short-term food stresses.
F) Industry + Habitation - A zero-g manufacturing center would offer a broader range of industrial options in the mid-term, and facilitate additional space expansions.
G) Trade + Storage - By making trade cheaper, you'll be able to sell your goods for more.
H) System Defense and control - If  you arm the station, bring a squadron of fighters, and the licenses to eventually build more, only the craziest pirates would try an assault on your underground stronghold. This will be expensive to maintain.
I) Mothball + Extra Survival Supplies - If you have no immediate plans for the station, you could leave it with a skeleton crew and buy an extra turn of the supplies to survive the hostile environment. This would give your industry a few turns of extra slack from not needing to refine shuttle fuel or build as many repair parts.

GM Notes: I'm not even going to put the planet type up for vote. You've made your stance on dorf clear.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:55:55 pm by Nirur Torir »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 04:40:30 pm »

B and... I think E?

...where’s D?

EDIT: C instead of B, please.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 09:14:31 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 05:06:07 pm »

BH

Lessgo, impenetrable fortress!
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 05:35:18 pm »

Okay, thoughts.
I'm actually leaning towards C, settling the frontier. We are already leaning somewhat. . . isolationist by going subterranean. And this way we go with the most pristine systems with all the resources we want.

And if we are going C, I think that justifies going with E or H as a frontier outpost. I'm personally leaning going with the hydroponics + habitation, and trust that building under the ground will provide enough defenses. This way we can assure our self-sufficiency. I am a bit tempted by jumpstarting on industry, but we went with engineers so I'm assuming we can get that going on its own without too much fuss.

If we go B, I think we would be better served by going with industry or trade to better capitalize on the
trade connections we can forge closer to other colonies.

So I vote CE.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 05:44:43 pm »

CE

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 05:55:21 pm »

...where’s D?
I'm going to start reserving spaces in-between sets, for the next time I miss an obvious choice and need to add one in.

Edit to the turn: H, the military option, has more expensive maintenance than the other options.

Counterfactual

• Bay Watcher
  • But what if...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 06:13:23 pm »

If I could pick and choose resources, I think Industry + Hydroponics would be best, to mitigate the lack of starting food production from Plan Dorf and to take advantage of our engineering skill. The former's probably more important, though, so I'll vote for BE. Since we won't have advanced manufacturing capability, we'll need some people nearby to trade our raw materials to for high-tech equipment, as I assume you need quite a lot of that to maintain a space colony.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 06:57:16 pm »

CE is the best choice for reasons others have mentioned

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 01:32:44 am »

CE
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Space Colony. Turn 4, Planetfall.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2022, 03:41:41 pm »

CE
C) Unexplored Frontier
E) Hydroponics + Habitation - This would relatively simplify shuttle logistics, reduce the initial housing rush, and significantly reduce your short-term food stresses.

With that, the initial preparations are all complete. You have a safe journey lasting a full three months, before finally arriving at the Vulkan's Hammer system. It has several planets and moons, including a large moon with a breathable atmosphere around the closest gas giant, and two asteroid belts. Your closest registered neighbor is a small community a week away by a fast standard freighter.

Your ship arrives in orbit of the second planet, and within the day, a landing site is selected and scouted. The first drop pods are launched, and automated processes ready the initial site for human habitation. Over the next week, a cramped initial work site springs up, and pieces of the ship have already begun to be carefully de-orbited.

Workers: Plentiful.
Food: Slight drain. Orbital production requires moderate fuel to reach the ground. Production expected to be adequate before stockpiles run dry, if workers are allowed to specialize.
Fuel: Predicted shortages during turn 7.
Housing: No surface housing, temporarily overpacked orbital housing.
Morale: Eager, for now, but will drop quickly. No surface housing, food concerns, unemployment concerns, supply concerns.
Environment supplies: Predicted crisis at end of turn 7. Environment is too hostile to stabilize without external aid before you're fully underground.
Power: Adequate. Using improvised ship engine modifications.
Spare parts: Sufficient parts until turn 7. Efficiency may start to drop afterwards.
Traders expected at turn 7.

The first mining teams have already begun laying into their work. The nearby surface seams look promising, as expected.
What will the first months' focus be? Only the surface site will be built on the surface, everything else would be underground.
A) Temporary surface site - You don't have a lot of supplies, but there are too many concerns. Building a temporary site on the surface will increase the quality of future underground constructions and allow initial industry, and give people better accommodations than hot bunking in the sides of hallways. Slow fuel refining would be able to begin after miners find a suitable source. Includes a better landing and trading zone.
B) Defensive Foundations - Your designers have proposed a series of underground structural reinforcements, combined with a hive of defensible tunnels and security checkpoints. Your colony would become very resistant to orbital bombardment, and eventually, a nightmare to take by storm. These foundations would have to be performed before other underground construction begins, but would provide little initial benefit.
C) Cramped Housing - You can quickly build a cramped bedroom for everyone, which would keep them calm while more of the colony is built. It would slightly reduce the drain on Environmental supplies.
D) Power Plant Conversion - Hyperion colony ship engines are designed to be converted into fusion power plants, but your current improvised setup is inefficient and will break them faster. Take the time to do proper conversions and build permanent rooms for them.
E) Industry Stage 1 - Begin the initial setup of your industry, using most of the machinery you've brought. This would primarily be focused on smelting ores to increase the trade value, fabricating basic spare parts, and creating the minimum of environmental supplies to maintain your planned underground city.
F) Fuel Refining - Have the miners focus on finding a source of fuel to exploit, and setup dedicated refineries to begin creating a surplus.

Comfortable surface housing isn't your first priority, but the station is designed for long-term habitation. You could rotate people between the surface and orbit to maintain morale until adequate housing is built, but the shuffling would delay worker specialization and consume more fuel.
H) No personnel rotation. Food situation should stabilize on its own.
I) Allow it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 04:15:57 pm »

AH

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2022, 04:44:47 pm »

DH

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2022, 04:47:00 pm »

I feel like A may be our best choice for the moment. Priorities after that I’m not sure. I feel going defensive might be a bit overkill, and I’m thinking we maybe able to rely on the fact that we are already going to be pretty defensible underground.

Though maybe we should just tell our people to suck it up and bear it, I feel allowing our people to rotate between the station and the hostile planet below will
One- Not allow people to be too accustomed to station life and have trouble adjusting to the planet when it’s time.
Two- Don’t wear people down too much by being constantly exposed in an hazardous environment.

So I’m voting AI
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2022, 04:56:34 pm »

I think that picking A allows us to more safely pick H; the rotation is for morale reasons, because the station is nicer than the ground, but by doing A, we’re more equalizing that arrangement.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4