Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves are getting hungry, birds not nesting  (Read 1246 times)

Edramon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves are getting hungry, birds not nesting
« on: August 01, 2022, 06:09:09 am »

Hi all, having some issues in my current fort with food production. Quite a few years in.

I've not played for a couple of years and it's my first time in a Terrifying biome so there's probably tons wrong but I had a quick play before I started the current game and nest boxes were ok there.

Main problem is my geese haven't reproduced (or even layed regularly) since embarking. Brought two geese and a gander, none are gay or asexual according to Dwarf Therapist.
In the temporary starting fort I made, one laid eggs once that I saw and they weren't fertilized.
When I moved them to a new pasture in the proper fortress, there was one more batch of unfertilized eggs.
I had them spend a year or so with the door locked to no effect. No eggs at all, no miasma from unfert ones rotting - I just might as well not have geese. There's a blue peahen that's someone's pet occasionally producing eggs, but I have no male.

We're sealed inside. Last few caravans all got slaughtered by an undead swamp titan.
The biome is re-animating, so almost everything outside or in the caverns is undead.

Currently trying to learn farming workflows to get flour and sugar - nothing is being cooked, presumably because I have no solid ingredients.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are getting hungry, birds not nesting
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:02:38 am »

Hmm. So, it's possible the geese laid some unfertilized eggs immediately, and if you haven't let dwarves collect those, the geese will not move or lay more eggs.

Nest boxes are claimed by a bird until either the eggs hatch or someone collects them. If they're unfertilized, they'll never hatch, so the bird just stays there forever. Let the dwarves run in and collect the eggs, cook 'em up, why not. You geese should nest again quickly. If you're paying attention to it, you can simply forbid the eggs in the nest box and then dwarves will collect the rest as a steady food source while you wait for the hatchlings.

If I misunderstood, let me know.

Edramon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:13:39 am »

Don't think it's that - about 4 years into the game and there's no eggs on any of the nest boxes.
Only ever seen two batches of goose eggs in total in that time.

If they were being laid but not fertilized I'd get it, but currently just feels like my geese are broken.
As mentioned went a decent time with the door locked, and at the end there were still no eggs and no baby geese.

Would having multiple species in the same pasture affect it? The blue peahen seems to be laying alright.

I might try separating them out and rebuilding the room.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 09:52:28 am »

Is there a gander present?

Aye, deconstruct the nest boxes and try again. Mixed pastures aren't an issue, as I've experienced, as long as enough nest boxes are accessible in the pasture.

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:34:42 am »

This is minor, but it might help:

When I just want eggs for cooking, I designate a 1x1 pasture over each constructed nestbox and assign one egg-layer to each. The bird stays there producing and doesn't have to search for a nest.

For breeding I designate a larger pasture that covers all the nestboxes and assign both males and females to it. May be a bug, but this is the only way I can get eggs to be fertilized.

Edramon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:16:18 am »

Yes, there's a gander.
I'm posting from work, so I'll try re-arranging the pastures and nest boxes when I get home.

Something needs to change in my fort before everyone starves - might just need to charge out and try to clear the undead at any cost so a caravan can get in soon.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 08:33:38 pm »

It wouldn't hurt to check your Stocks, as you may have a barrel of eggs somewhere.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 02:12:09 pm »

Have you tried deleting the pasture designation and locking them behind the door? Make the room smaller, like a 2x2 so they have no choice but the be in contact with one-another?

Your best bet might even be to try to cage trap some undead and throw them in a upright spike trap chamber to mince them to death and butcher them.

Do you have a soil layer you can dig a big empty space in and designate it for plant gathering? If you've breached the caverns mushrooms will grow in it, and you can grow some plump helmets
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.