Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Lich King: Stone and Bone (SG)  (Read 9829 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lich King: Beginnings (SG)
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2022, 03:07:51 pm »

The inn is now filled with shouting, angry, and blind rebels and soldiers. One of those groups are your allies. So now, you conjure a miracle, giving sight to the blind. A wave of power rushes from you, as the eyes of the rebels glow with a silver light.

The rebels fall in their would be captors with a fury, overwhelming their blind foes. Thaddington charges forward and strikes out with his blade, slamming it into the side of Altain’s helmet, denting it under the force of his blow. The knight strikes back blindly, sword parried as they exchange blows. Around them the melee swirls.

Magic crawls up your arms, wrapping and twisting around your fingers. It is dark, a cloud of hidden things and crushing depth. Deep within lies a shining Truth that is the source of your strength.

A bolt like lightening leaps from your hands towards the dueling knights. It passes inches from your foes head and slams into a wrestling soldier, bursting him apart like a melon.

Huh, there was a bit more strength in that then you thought.

The knights duel continues. His companions leave them to it , engaging in cleaning up the remaining soldiers. Your next bolt arcs harmlessly over the knight’s armor, and his sword cuts into Thaddington’s loosely protected thigh. The knight grits and teeth and resumes his assault, but is interrupted

You need to finish this quickly.

You are the witness and judge of Truth. You bring an echo of that maelstrom and send a shard screaming through the knights head.

He cries out and stumbles back, dealing with an onrush of conflicting primordial truths forcing themselves into his mind. Thaddington hesitates, his attack glancing off the plate armor. Altain’s response was feeble, lost and blind.

Your response was not, two spears of dark power plunge into the knights flesh and explode. He is sent flying, torso blown apart by the violence of your magic.

10 prisoners await you in front of the inn. The comrades are either dead or fled. Your new allies took some wounds, but only one dead by Sir Altain’s blade.

Thaddington limps up to you.
“We would be either dead or on our way to a cell if it wasn’t for you,” he says. “I owe you a great deal.”

He pauses. “The rebels of Dunhollow are lead by the Red Fox. The Emperor wants his head, and our Baron must be angling to take it for him,” he spits before considering you again.

“I can take you to him, he’ll be interested in your words, I promise you.”

What do you do?
A- Go with him to meet the Red Fox.
B- Invite them to your Tower next month.
C- Decline the invitation.

And what do you do with the prisoners?
A-Let them go.
B-Kill them (and raise them?)
C-Let Thaddington decide.
D-Something else.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2022, 03:12:18 pm »

AC

Given that the Red Fox is being hunted, it’d be best to meet with them as quickly as possible; we don’t want them killed before we can make contact.

As for the prisoners, their crime is against Thaddington and his men. Let them be the ones to judge what is right to do with them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:26:58 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2022, 05:15:05 pm »

I *would* like to make him come to us to establish the proper power dynamic...but our tower looks like garbage and we'd need to fix it up and it's probably better to meet quickly and judge him now rather than reveal our secret tower's location.

As for the prisoners...
AD, using Truth to examine the minds of each prisoner to find any relevant details for us...other troop deployments, crimes against humanity, the Baron's state of mind and what he wants out of this campaign, etc. Fill in our new rebel contact about any particular crimes committed by each individual soldier and leave them to him.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2022, 05:26:47 pm »

I *would* like to make him come to us to establish the proper power dynamic...but our tower looks like garbage and we'd need to fix it up and it's probably better to meet quickly and judge him now rather than reveal our secret tower's location.

As for the prisoners...
AD, using Truth to examine the minds of each prisoner to find any relevant details for us...other troop deployments, crimes against humanity, the Baron's state of mind and what he wants out of this campaign, etc. Fill in our new rebel contact about any particular crimes committed by each individual soldier and leave them to him.
Ooh, good point with the Truth examination stuff.
+1

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2022, 05:33:59 pm »

Whilst we're at it, we should raise those dead soldiers into our service.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2022, 05:45:56 pm »

We should ask permission for that, first. Including if they're fine with us raising them now or if they'd prefer we wait until after people have left.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2022, 01:50:41 am »

As for the prisoners...
+1
+1

I also like the sound of raising the dead soldiers, bet they'd be better than the skeletons for defending us.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2022, 02:08:12 am »

As for the prisoners...
+1
+1

I also like the sound of raising the dead soldiers, bet they'd be better than the skeletons for defending us.
+1 But we should wait on raising the dead solidiers till after the meeting we dont want to come off as rude when it costs us nothing to wait ten min or a day
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2022, 09:49:16 pm »

Dark Vigil

He stood at attention, staring out into the darkness. There was no fear on his face, nor any sign of wavering attention.

There was no sign of anything in his face anymore, not under the tender ministrations of the slow drip of water that had worn it away over the millennia.

It did not matter to him. The copper blade in his right hand, the blade that was made for him, was just as sharp as the day it was forged. There may be stalactites on his armor, but it was no weaker than when it first adorned him.

To let it be otherwise would displease the Emperor.

So he stared into the darkness. It was not silent, no. Water dripped; the sound echoed. The stone itself groaned subtly as it shifted in the ages. Far-off echoes sometimes meandered there way here. No, it was not silent at all.

The Emperor had decreed that no light shall touch his skin, nor sound touch his ears. Thankfully, there were far simpler manner to resolve such issues than to eliminate noise. His crypt was insulated against the world, and His guards were set to ensure it remained unperturbed.

Sometimes he wondered how long it had been. It had been 62,957,120,864 drips since he decided to start counting, but he had little idea how many had come before that. It did not matter. He would guard the Emperor in perpetuity, like his brothers beside him.

From death until death, he would serve. The Emperor's final rest would not be disturbed, and he would ensure so until he died.

The clay soldier stared into the darkness with senses beyond sight, still heir to the will of an empire long dead.

Memories from so long ago were snatches. Was he awake yet? No, not then. Memories from so long ago were fragments. Fragmentary. Blurry, incomplete. Like he was. Like they were.

Hands. Careful, but not gentle. There were too many to be gentle. A head takes shape.

Small pieces that come together.

Darkness, but not like this. The world rumbled and jostled. The horses whinnied.

His purpose was set from conception, and he would die gladly for it.

A beautiful hall, extending almost forever. Passed from servant to servant, ever growing nearer to service.

He did not question the memories of his creation. It was the Emperor's blessing.

Arranged in parade, the priests anoint the soldiers in phoenix ashes. A great pit lies before them, their charge behind.

His duty shall end only with eternity, and he shall bear it gladly.

They say the emperor's last words were, "I will rise again."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:19:07 pm by Glass »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2022, 09:59:34 pm »

The man’s eyes roll into the back of his head as you plunge into his mind. You telepathically query several questions in rapid succession, dredging forth memories and answers. The layout of the Baron’s castle, guard deployments. And… ah interesting.

You release the man’s skull and he drops trembling to the ground.
“You have a mole. Berius here doesn’t have a name or a face, but they sound like they have  a position of importance in your group. That's how they found you here, and that is how they found the location of your rebel base. The Baron is trimming away your forces before marching his army there.”

Thaddinton’s face pales. “When?”

You shrug, “He’s preparing his forces still, he still may reach out to the legion stationed in the region. You have time,  but that time is dwindling,” You wipe your hands and gesture at the men. “That one is a monster, but the rest are typical. Do with them what you will.”

Thaddington nods at his men, “We will take them back with us,”  he says as he stabs his blade through the collar of the man you pointed out. He looks back at you. “Will you ride with us?”

“ I will catch up.”

In a few hours you do catch up with Thaddington and his men, accompanied by a guard of twenty soldiers. Excepting the bloody wounds, pale faces and glowing blue eyes, one could hardly tell that they are also corpses. They stare at your men with a mixture of fascination and dread. Thaddington looks over at you,

“Well, desperate times and all that. We need every edge we can get. Still, it's a bit unnerving to see Altain like that.”

The rebels soon warm to the risen soldiers as they keep watch during the night. A few of the rebels kept their eyes open during the night, but as you had no need to sleep you kept the vigil.

After a few days you arrive at the valley of the rebel encampment. Interestingly, the majority of it lay inside a hollowed out portion of the mountain, forming a shelter for the forges and workshops of a mobile army. The army itself, however, is in rough shape.The Solstice Knight, Tomlin Vane, he told you, leads the way past the gate.

You can tell that they recently were in hard fighting, and the rations scarce. Their armor is weathered, as are their weapons.Your risen soldiers had better arms when they were alive, though the rebels stripped them of their gear for themselves, and gave the Risen their old worn weapons. You ordered the Risen to stay a distance from the encampment to avoid any problems.

Thaddington takes you to immediately see the Red Fox, the leader of the rebels. He is sitting when you approach, watching you with steady eyes. His hair is gray now, but you can still sense a flame of vigor in the man’s bones.

He spreads his arms, “So, what will you have of us, Magnimian the Unholy?”

You turn and look at the woman hovering over his shoulder. “Are you a spy for the Baron?”

She turns red, “No, of course not! How dare you!”

You look back at the Red Fox, “She’s telling the truth, she's not your mole.I can interview your subordinates and determine who the Baron’s Spy is.”

He opens his mouth and closes it again.

The negotiations last for hours, and you come away with.

A- Complete Alliance. The Red Fox only cares for fighting the Aenian Empire. He agrees to command your armies, you agree to supply them. You agree to protect the people of Dunhollow and assure their independence. You declare war against the Aenian Empire.
-Gain The Red Fox, a masterful strategist and commander. He served in the armies of the Kingdom of Leahorn as a commander, raiding enemy supply lines, and more recently leading irregular forces. Victories have been few, but all have been against impossible odds.
-Agree to war against Empire.

B-An Agreement. Choose an equal number of gains and costs.
+Thaddington enters your service as a liaison. Strong combatant and leader of men. Can serve as Military Advisor.
+Receive Rebel Intelligence, get regular updates on troop movements and developing issues.
+Reinforcements. Rebels will send men to act as your muscle.
+Protection. Rebels will agree to station garrisons to protect the villages.
-Supply the Rebels with arms. Will need a supply of armor and weapons.
-Supply the Rebels with Food. Will need a supply of food to give.
-Agree to be called upon for Magical expertise. (May require an action be spent fulfilling requests.)
-Depose the Baron.
-Become hostile to any representative of the Aenian Empire.

C- THE FOOLS ARE IN A CAVE AND COMPLETELY WITHIN YOUR POWER… Ahem, I mean no deal at the moment.

D- Something Else? (Can include additional Pros or suggest Cons)

Note: Complete Alliance essentially folds the whole rebel organization into your service, as long as you agree to protect Dunhollow and declare war against the Aenian Empire.  An Agreement lets you pick and choose, but Complete Alliance does give you all of those benefits as well.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2022, 10:24:10 pm »

AD - We will go to war against the Aenians - but, we shall not be taking overt action yet. We may be personally powerful, but our greatest power is our ability to build. To go to true war immediately will not benefit us, not when another month or two may be spent consolidating many magnitudes more power with which to wage it. In the intervening time, we shall most certainly assist you and your forces in any manner we can, but we must be given time to prepare before we begin a full offensive.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2022, 12:08:34 am »

AD - We will go to war against the Aenians - but, we shall not be taking overt action yet. We may be personally powerful, but our greatest power is our ability to build. To go to true war immediately will not benefit us, not when another month or two may be spent consolidating many magnitudes more power with which to wage it. In the intervening time, we shall most certainly assist you and your forces in any manner we can, but we must be given time to prepare before we begin a full offensive.
+1
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2022, 02:02:22 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2022, 01:41:53 pm »

If the Red Fox wants something more immediate than that, we can definitely offer to act as a Magical Expert for now, and perhaps we can promise to pick up more responsibilities and perks over time until it becomes the full alliance?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2022, 10:04:41 pm »

They call him the Traveler.

It's not an unearned title; even if he sticks around for a week, he's unlikely to stay much longer than that. You're more likely to find him by chance on the road, or perhaps checking into the same inn that you had. Not many see him twice; those who can claim to have seen him thrice are few and far between, and frequently travelers themselves, by trade or fate.

Of course, it's a simplistic title. It doesn't contain the whole of who he is; no title could do that for any but the crudest of folks. The Traveler travels, excellent. And? What does he do? Well, any number of things, really. It's why he's earned other titles besides.

The Keeper of Tales, or the Songweaver. The Devil's Advocate, or the Angel of Dissent. The Pactbroker, or the Breaker of Chains. The Listener, or the Blind Man.

Oh, yes, didn't I mention that? The blindfold he wears, there's a myriad stories just about it. Some say he traded his sight for clarity, others that it was stolen and he's searching for it. Some claim that the blindfold is magic, while others state he merely sees past such obstructions. Me? Hehe, well, he has an affinity for illusions; who's to say the blindfold is even real to begin with? He never seems to be hindered by it. But I digress.

Yes, Keeper of Tales and Songweaver. Oh, he's a delightful bard. I was lucky enough to stay the night at an inn he stopped at; he pulled out a lute, and enthralled us all with fanciful stories and songs, pulling us in with pictures drawn right into the air around us! Oh, it was absolutely breathtaking. Everyone should see it sometime during their lives, though most won't. It's sad, truly. There are folks who write down all his tunes and lyrics, but it simply isn't the same played by others.

Ah, but he is not merely a bard! Devil's Advocate, and the Angel of Dissent. Odd names, aren't they? But sometimes, he's said to show up someplace settled - rarely much, mind you, typically a village or so. Maybe a small town. Someplace where people know each other, where there's a way things are done. And up out of nowhere, our Traveler arrives, starts asking questions. Not provocative ones - never rude. Merely questions, curiosity, a fascination with how things are done... and all the while, these questions make people think. Why do we do it this way? Are there other ways? And maybe there was somebody they never listened to before, whose words suddenly have an ounce more weight to them. And then the Traveler is off, having sown the seeds of change. Perhaps they sprout. Perhaps the people decide that no, how we're doing it now has merit, and there's no need to change. But they think, and they come to a decision, rather than merely continuing as they always had.

Oh, yes. Pactbroker, Breaker of Chains. They're quite different, aren't they? Ah, but where the other titles are merely facets of a role, these two complement each other. The first forges order where there is discord; the latter grants freedom where there is tyranny. How are those related? Why, they both ensure that people live well, my darling. The Traveler takes these roles within cities and kingdoms, not the petty hamlets he frequents with the others. In some, those with the power to rule embroil themselves in petty conflicts, wasting away their skills and neglecting their responsibilities to their people. There, the Traveler shows his wisdom, sometimes finding feuding lords and cutting to the root of their issues, other times granting platform to the common people, until a solution may be reached and society can go on. But other times, the powerful use their strength to cast down any who may oppose them, twisting the law of the land toward naught but their own benefit. It is here that the Traveler shows his strength, as the ruling class swiftly finds their authority worthless in the face of an entire society of folks tired of heeding it; the city survives, but the corruption never does.

But for those who the Traveler encounters on the road itself... they say he is a quiet man, then. Resting in the shade of a tree, or sitting atop a lone boulder, seemingly watching the sun pass by. They say, though, that everything around him seems... more. The wind, the leaves, the clouds seem to hold greater depths of detail than before. He doesn't sleep; people say they've spoken with him, and while he may not respond, they still say he affirms his attention. And it seems that all who sit with him a while, drink in the world, that they always get up refreshed, and... they take something with them, I think. That extra glimpse into the world never truly leaves them. So, yes. Listener, they call him, and the Blind Man. But the first is truly more important than the latter.

That is the Traveler, my darling daughter. One day, perhaps, you'll get a chance to meet him, as I had. I pray that you do. Now, go to sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16