Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 54

Author Topic: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?  (Read 23623 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 (8 / 9) - Day 2 - Mysteries Afoot
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2022, 09:33:47 pm »

I'm okay with a KN64 lynch, Max lynch, Egan lynch, or No Lynch.
I am not comfortable with a Web Lynch, Roden Lynch, or Shake Lynch. Web and Roden have double-verified actions, and I myself am verifying the Web action, so they clearly weren't roleblocked. And Shake is being checked by Glass Lens.
I am indifferent to a Jim Lynch.
Oh, and I don't like a Lenglon Lynch for obvious reasons, just mentioning it for completion's sake.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2022, 09:38:49 pm »

I'm not going to support an Egan lynch because no way in hell scum gets an ability that reveals their role to someone else.

Wubba is either scum or playing like shit.

KN64/max could be scum.

Roden is prolly not scum. 

Lenglon is iffy.

And, as Leglon said I'm going to be inspected at the end of today.  If Roden says I'm scum then he's actually scum.

Jim is being a little shit.  Prolly town, because meta/pride.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2022, 09:45:02 pm »

And, for the record, if Egan -is- scum then FoU is on my permanent shitlist.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2022, 10:05:40 pm »

Alright, so Lenglon beat me to summarizing all the N1 actions so far but I've been contemplating and bouncing ideas off of Maximum Spin. There are a couple of mysteries with the night actions for N1:

How did webadict's message that he claims targeted Roden end up targeting Maximum Spin?
Where did Knightwing64's role block end up?
Why did Egan_BW's action fail? (Maximum Spin points out Lenglon's explanation that Egan_BW's action to disable the Glass Lens couldn't be disabled because it self-destructed)
And where did the night kill end up and how was it stopped?

Literally nobody has claimed to be roleblocked and as Lenglon points out there are quite a wide range of actions that are verified to have occurred with actors in excess of the scum team. In order for Knightwing64 to be telling the truth, then his block must have been redirected to another player who did not notice the block or could not be blocked, or a player who did not claim to be blocked, since Maximum Spin is verified to have acted by me. This requires an unclaimed actor to redirect Knightwing64 somewhere, and an unclaimed block immune player or a player who did not claim being blocked. Perhaps, instead, Knightwing64 did not perform a block? This requires one liar (Knightwing64) but no additional actors.

In order for webadict's message that he aimed at Roden to hit Maximum Spin, Maximum Spin and Roden would have had to have been bussed with each other, but this introduces many inconsistencies into the night actions. webadict's theory of a triple circular bus resolves some of the inconsistencies but introduces others. A Roden -> Lenglon -> Maximum Spin -> Roden cycle breaks down because Lenglon did not notice Egan_BW in her list of visitors and Egan_BW's action would not have failed, so this requires both an additional actor to perform the triple circular bus and for Egan_BW to be a liar. A cycle in the Roden -> Maximum Spin -> Lenglon -> Roden direction breaks down immediately because my results would have been that Roden (actually Maximum Spin) visited me. So, perhaps, Maximum Spin wasn't bussed, but instead, webadict actually targeted Lenglon and Maximum Spin while addressing Lenglon and Roden in the contents of his message? This requires one liar (webadict) but no additional actors.

Egan_BW's action failing is plausibly explained by Lenglon in that the delayed roleblock would fail since the Glass Lens ability Roden claimed to use would be expired come Night 2. There are no liars or additional actors required to explain this.

This leaves the question of what happened to the kill. For the kill to have happened we require one liar, with the killer either being blocked or the target protected or kill immune. Nobody has claimed the latter two although there's plausible arguments for why town players would not claim those. The only claimed block belongs to Knightwing64, which did not reach its intended target of Maximum Spin. For the Knightwing64 to be telling the truth and for the scumteam to have attempted a kill, it requires an additional actor to redirect or block Knightwing64, and then an additional actor (or additional action) to attempt the kill, and then perhaps an additional actor to protect against the kill. Perhaps, instead, Knightwing64 attempted the kill and lied about performing a role block, though this does not explain where the kill ended up or why it was protected against. Another explanation is that scum team did not kill, which makes N1 simpler to reason through and is perfectly possible but is something I find harder to believe.

So, there is no perfect explanation for why the Night 1 results are so chaotic, but I believe many of the mysteries can be resolved by testing Knightwing64, webadict, and then possibly Egan_BW.

Um, I’m town

That’s my insight

Pls don’t vote me

I roleblocked Lenglon N0 and roleblocked? Max N1?

MAN DOES THIS REMIND ME OF DEMON MAFIA

YOU CAN DO IT KNIGHTWING64

JUST GIVE LIKE TWO REASONABLE SOUNDING READS AND YOU'LL GET THROUGH THIS

GRIT UP AND GET THE JOB DONE

So anyways I think we should test Knightwing64.

stuff

No, logically, Lenglon has a point.  Knightwing64 but I still want wubba to logic out his voting this day if he was so certain he saw who attempted a kill.

👁👄👁

Really?

Either I’m lying, max is lying or I got redirected and not told about it, why are you so certain it’s me? Because it’s not.

Also, why are you so mean

Same emotional manipulation from Demon Mafia too.

I know it's bad form but I'm still looping back to the same position I had earlier in the day: It's a 2 for 1, lynch Max, then if town Lynch Knightwing and Jim becomes Confirmed, and If scum Lynch Jim and Knightwing becomes Confirmed.

No.

I'm pretty confident Maximum Spin is town.

Shakerag pressing webadict

I do not oppose this line of questioning.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2022, 10:08:42 pm »

Jim is being a little shit.  Prolly town, because meta/pride.

You're a little shit!

Go slam down more drinks.

And give me a couple because I ran out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2022, 10:16:22 pm »

Jim did not in any way ask me to put my own vote in any particular place, but I endorse this message. Knightwing64.

I don't know that I endorse the part that implies we should chain-lynch, though, I should add. I do endorse the part premised on arguing that the simplest explanation for last night is just lying.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »

Oh, because Max tried to kill someone last Night, and Knightwing stopped him.

But, like I said, I'm far more confident of Jim Groovester than I am Maximum Spin. I can be convinced rather easily to vote Jim first.

Why were you so confident and then backed off?
Because my knowledge of the situation changed. That's what happens. That's what we in the business call "progression."

Jim did not in any way ask me to put my own vote in any particular place, but I endorse this message. Knightwing64.

I don't know that I endorse the part that implies we should chain-lynch, though, I should add. I do endorse the part premised on arguing that the simplest explanation for last night is just lying.
You know what, I do have a pontential idea: @FoU: If an Action with multiple targets is redirected, how does that work?

I targeted Roden first, so maybe I was redirected to Maximum Spin on my first target? And Knightwing did claim to be a Redirecter.

Anyway, I'm in to vote out Knightwing64. I can't think of anything else that stopped the kill, but I've thought as much as I'm gonna Today.

When will you get my alignment right? Apparently, not this game, in spite of how obvious it is. The beauty and abhorrent displays of tumultuous lies. I'm always Mafia, even when I'm not.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2022, 10:33:20 pm »

When will you get my alignment right? Apparently, not this game, in spite of how obvious it is. The beauty and abhorrent displays of tumultuous lies. I'm always Mafia, even when I'm not.

I'd snarkily bark at you the same question but it would fall pretty flat given Demon Mafia.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2022, 10:37:27 pm »

Okay

Knightwing64

🖕

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2022, 10:38:13 pm »

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2022, 10:38:28 pm »

Care to elaborate? Add more emoji?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2022, 10:39:06 pm »

I’m too good for this world

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2022, 10:43:05 pm »

RIP the Game Master

May he rest in pieces

And you all rot in hell

Iim just too naturally kind and handsome for the cutthroat game of mafia

I’m calling a shakerag and max mafia pair, maybe Web

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2022, 10:44:38 pm »

I think that's hammer?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2022, 10:49:59 pm »

That is, in fact, five votes, which is a hammer.

Stop, hammertime. Give me a bit to resolve the execution.

What purpose does this serve? What does this sacrifice create?

Sacrifice? What sacrifice? All I see is foolishness.

Oh, woe. The story continues - with one less player.

Quote from: Votecount
(5) Knightwing64: Shakerag, Jim Groovester, Maximum Spin, webadict, Knightwing64
(0) webadict:
(0) Lenglon:
(0) Roden:
(0) Shakerag:
(0) Egan_BW:
(0) Maximum Spin:
(0) Jim Groovester:

(3) Not Voting: Lenglon, Roden, Egan_BW

5 votes on a single player will hammer and immediately end the Day. Stop talking if this occurs.
If the deadline is reached, whoever has the most votes on them will be executed, but you all (other than the executed player) may continue talking until the moderator has arrived to resolve the execution.

The storyteller chooses to breathe his last, in foolish bravery.

Woe be to him. Woe be to you.

Because as is now revealed...

Knightwing64 was town.

The mask pulled back, now reveals a storyteller within a story, a playwright of a different kind of game, now fallen to a similar creation.

Knightwing64's role was Game-Master.

Game-Master(town):
(Auto) Intangible Hand: As you act at a layer above the world, you do not visit your targets when you use targeted actions. This does not prevent your targeted actions from having their effect.
(Day) Railroad [target1][target2]: You railroad the game’s plot, limiting your first target’s choices for the next Night - they may either attempt to use a targeted action on your second target, or take no action. However, you may not use Railroad on the same player twice, as that would be repetitive game design.
(Night) Serendipity [target]: Your target has either a fortunate or unfortunate occurrence happen to them, according to your storyboard. When you use this action, you choose between inflicting a random encounter on your target (roleblocking them) or granting them a treasure (allowing them to take an additional action the next Night). However, you may not use Serendipity on the same player twice, as that would be repetitive game design.

Perhaps it was a surprise. Perhaps it was not. The stagehands will make clean the stage.

And the players descend into the dark, to weave their ways.

It is now Night 2. Night 2 will end in 24 hours time - at Sunday, 11 PM, Central time. Send in your actions or lack thereof! If I receive them all early, I may be able to end the Night early.

You know what, I do have a pontential idea: @FoU: If an Action with multiple targets is redirected, how does that work?
@FoU: If an Action self-targets through redirection or bussing, does it fail if it could not normally self-target? What happens to multiple target Actions? Can someone steal messages?
By default, if an action is redirected or bussed to its own user, it still takes effect. Unless specified otherwise in the redirection ability, if a multiple target action is redirected, one of the intended targets will be changed, selected at random, though specific implementations of redirection could do things differently. A bus, by contrast, would change whichever target or targets landed on a bussed player while leaving the targets not aimed at a bussed player alone. I'd be open to a discussion about this after the game, but it's what I'm working with for now, for a lack of better ideas.

And yes, if a messaging action was redirected, the message would appropriately be sent to the action's new target.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:03:37 pm by FallacyofUrist »
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 54