Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54

Author Topic: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?  (Read 23712 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 (8 / 9) - Day 2 - Mysteries Afoot
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2022, 01:14:23 pm »

Max, do you think Egan is town? Why?
I have basically no read on him because he hasn't been very active. I don't think he's usually the type to just lurk as scum, but I guess I thought that back in, uh, Jade Court and it turned out he was. I definitely wouldn't rule it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2022, 01:50:42 pm »

That's it? Nothing more in-depth?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2022, 02:04:20 pm »

That's it? Nothing more in-depth?
I... can't really get that in-depth about Egan, both specifically, because his playstyle is really bland and inoffensive, and because he hasn't posted very much at all. It's not like Knightwing where shitposting is strongly alignment-indicative; in Egan's case, the fact that, eg, one of his posts was just "!" could go either way. Also, you asked if I think he was town, and I think I was clear that the answer is "no". I can't say that I specifically think he's scum either, though.
I also don't know what it is Shakerag has that makes him townread Egan like that, although the fact that it was based on seeing an action on his role makes me think it isn't worth very much. I don't have any faith in that judgement given that, for example, webadict pushed Tric for the same reason. Without knowing what it is, I'm perfectly willing to believe Fallacy would give scum something Shakerag thinks is too powerful for scum to have.

If Egan were someone I could scumread just for lurking, I'd have a different answer for you. Certainly I'm suspicious about it. But he kind of... does that. I don't have a strong answer about it. His actual posts have all been very tame and not especially helpful, but again, he does that.

If we absolutely have no better leads to go on, and I could understand if you do feel like that's the case, then I think Egan is not being town-beneficial. I'm just not convinced that says something about his alignment.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2022, 02:07:01 pm »

Thank you. Your opinion mostly mirrors mine, by the by.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2022, 02:11:48 pm »

Thank you. Your opinion mostly mirrors mine, by the by.
I'd be interested to hear about any divergence?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 13, 2022, 02:15:40 pm »

I have a reasonable working theory for why Egan / Knightwing is the scumteam, but it has enough flaws in it that I'd prefer to not put it forward right now, especially since doing so would involve rolefishing Roden.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2022, 02:24:56 pm »

Hey max, Web has proposed No-Lynching today at least once, I think twice (didn't go back to check). And literally nobody has engaged with that in any way whatsoever. What do you think about the No-Lynch option, and what do you think about that lack of engagement with the proposition?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2022, 02:31:51 pm »

Jim, what do you think are the odds that Max:

1) is capable of performing neighbor-type actions unblockably.
2) is capable of performing both a neighbor-type action and a mafiakill and the same time.
3) is willing to give you the gift you were given while being scum.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2022, 02:33:10 pm »

I lurk as scum for a different reason, which is that it stresses me out. In this case, I just... really don't care.

Replace?

The action I used which failed would have made any action Roden used unavailable on the following night.
The action I used on Shakerag N0 which made him see me as town has a different effect under certain (predictable) conditions, which would make it INSTEAD confirm one's own alignment to the target while protecting the target from kills and disables. Which would generally not be very helpful to scum.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2022, 02:40:49 pm »

I now understand why your action failed, thank you Egan.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2022, 03:42:10 pm »

Hey max, Web has proposed No-Lynching today at least once, I think twice (didn't go back to check). And literally nobody has engaged with that in any way whatsoever. What do you think about the No-Lynch option, and what do you think about that lack of engagement with the proposition?
Right, I kind of glossed past that while I was hurrying to explain the neighbor thing. I'm not necessarily against no-lynches in general, but I think this is still a solvable state. If anything, I worry no-lynching may be an opportunity to let the night results get even more chaotic next time, if the mafia no-kill again.

I think the lack of engagement with the proposition probably reflects that no-lynches don't usually happen, so nobody is considering it a serious possibility, and there was a lot of other stuff that probably took priority in other people's attention just like in mine. I don't think it's unreasonable that scum might quietly keep watch to see if a no-lynch might happen and support it if people appear willing, but I don't really think there's anything AI about everyone ignoring it. I do think it indicates that some people are pretty disengaged in general, but that wasn't unobvious.
In particular, I don't think anyone here, as scum, would immediately jump in to support a no-lynch, so there's nobody in this particular game I would exclude based on that not happening.

I have a reasonable working theory for why Egan / Knightwing is the scumteam, but it has enough flaws in it that I'd prefer to not put it forward right now, especially since doing so would involve rolefishing Roden.
I could see it.

3) is willing to give you the gift you were given while being scum.
(I will say, in the interest of at least slightly fuller disclosure, that I didn't know ahead of time what he was going to get. He told me something about it but I'll let him decide whether to say what.)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2022, 03:45:34 pm »

I have a theory that fits.

What about a triple switch here:

Anything targeting Roden -> Lenglon.
Anything targeting Lenglon -> Maximum Spin.
Anything targeting Maximum Spin -> Roden.

This fits everything.

Jim Groovester targets Roden -> Jim Groovester targets Lenglon. Lenglon targeted Shakerag last Night, so that fits.
Shakerag targets Roden -> Shakerag targets Lenglon. No change.
Knightwing targeted Maximum Spin -> Knightwing roleblocked Roden.
I targeted Roden and Lenglon -> I targeted Lenglon and Maximum Spin. (A double swap!!!)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2022, 03:49:48 pm »

Egan_BW is a little confusing here, but his Ability failed, so there's a bit of confusion on how that happened, but the rest works.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2022, 04:00:23 pm »

However, it's very likely that the scumteam is Shakerag/Roden in this example, which makes a lot of sense.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2022, 04:02:14 pm »

I have a theory that fits.

What about a triple switch here:

Anything targeting Roden -> Lenglon.
Anything targeting Lenglon -> Maximum Spin.
Anything targeting Maximum Spin -> Roden.

This fits everything.

Jim Groovester targets Roden -> Jim Groovester targets Lenglon. Lenglon targeted Shakerag last Night, so that fits.
Shakerag targets Roden -> Shakerag targets Lenglon. No change.
Knightwing targeted Maximum Spin -> Knightwing roleblocked Roden.
I targeted Roden and Lenglon -> I targeted Lenglon and Maximum Spin. (A double swap!!!)
Huh, that seems to make sense. Pretty wild. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

However, it's very likely that the scumteam is Shakerag/Roden in this example, which makes a lot of sense.
... why? I'm a little distracted so I might be missing something, and the pairing is definitely plausible, but I'm not seeing why them specifically.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54