Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54

Author Topic: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?  (Read 23672 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 (8 / 9) - Day 2 - Mysteries Afoot
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2022, 01:04:23 pm »

Hmm, Jim, I'm trying to build a mental map of who you think is scum and why, and I'm a touch confused. It seems like you think:

Egan is town,
Max is town,
You are town,
I am town,
Web is town,
Shakerag is town,
Roden is town.

and Knightwing, by process of elimination, is solo scum?
That seems odd to me.

Could you please tell me what my mistake is?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2022, 01:07:57 pm »

Also, Egan, Where are you?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2022, 01:14:44 pm »

I haven't been particularly communicative of who I suspect and why so that's not especially surprising. I'll go do something more formal later if I feel up to it.

Roughly,

Lean town on Maximum Spin
Lean town on Shakerag and Lenglon
Lean ?????? on Egan_BW because where the hell are they?
Null on Knightwing64
Lean deep misgivings on Roden because of the TricMagic hammer and the Day 2 justifications for it
Lean deep misgivings on webadict because I feel like he's trying to get lynches through quickly rather than solve the game

I'll have to think more on whether Roden/webadict make sense as a team but my initial gut impression is that they don't. I'll have to think through this in more depth sometime later.

I pompously declare that you still suck Jim

I should be working. I'll respond to this later.

But first,

you suck more.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2022, 01:32:29 pm »

So I'll just put my current thoughts on the situation out there: This seems like a 2 for 1, and that we should lynch Max.

The reason is either Max is scum, the roleblock from Knightwing blocked the kill, and we would follow up by lynching Jim.
Or alternately Max is town, the roleblock was fake, and Knightwing is scum to be lynched tomorrow.

Having said that, there's two massive problems with this: Max should not only have been roleblocked, but been notified of the roleblock, the same way I was on N0. So this is a nonsensical way for him to have gotten caught, and I don't think Jim would have tied his fate to Max's like that as his scumbuddy if it had happened, instead gambling on being able to solo-carry.

and problem 2, is there is an unclaimed multi-action redirector in the game, as shown by the redirect of Roden N0, which could have simply redirected Knightwing's roleblock, possibly even to themselves, while the scum no-killed for some other reason, possibly including messing with our heads.

As a result I have some significant misgivings about chaining lynches like this, on top of my personal standing policy to avoid trying to hunt for the scum as a pair until MYLO/LYLO. So I kind of want to be convinced to change my position.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2022, 01:45:39 pm »

Egan, were you roleblocked last night?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2022, 01:48:49 pm »

I mean, there's lots of possibilities here that make fully identifying Night Actions a bit nebulous. Maybe Max actually did send an item unblockably but can multi-Action to kill? Maybe the Mafiakill isn't actually a kill, and therefore can't be tracked like one, and someone else did it? Maybe something else stopped the Mafiakill? Maybe Max was forced to do the Mafiakill remotely and got blocked?

Who knows? Not me. Not worth thinking about, if I'm to be honest. We have votes for a reason, especially me, who definitely doesn't do a whole heck of a lot with my Abilities.

Basically, I don't see why Max thought Jim was Town on D1 because there were several better targets. I don't see why Jim thinks Roden has faulty Hammer reasoning before D2 and attempts to track with a limited Ability.

So, I will vote Jim Groovester and continue from there.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2022, 01:50:24 pm »

Basically, I don't see why Max thought Jim was Town on D1 because there were several better targets.
That is a good question. Max, why was Jim the person you gave your gift to?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2022, 02:29:11 pm »

I've been avoiding this thread because I'm waiting for a response from Fallacy, but, it's getting to be a long time and I'm thinking I won't see one until at least evening, so I decided to check in.
In the interim... I see all of this has happened. So that's fun.

That is a good question. Max, why was Jim the person you gave your gift to?
Jim was the only option. I do think Jim is town and have for some time, but I also couldn't have given the gift to anyone else under the present conditions (with one exception I didn't think was a good idea and now know wouldn't have worked assuming everyone's telling the truth).

I don't really want to claim more than necessary at this juncture, but basically, the choice of target was locked in n0. I can still action on other people, but only under circumstances that probably won't apply in most cases. If Tric were still alive I could definitely have actioned on him.

Actually, never mind, Jim just told me he's okay with me explaining. Okay. It's a wonderful day in my neighborhood, and Jim is my neighbor. I chose him n0 because... well it was a shot in the dark, but I felt confident that I could work with him if he's town and he probably wouldn't snow me like ToonyMan did back in MVM3.5 if he's scum. Webadict, if you would rather I had chosen you, well, maybe I was still a little bitter about that. So he got the gift because he's the one I could talk about it in realtime last night with. And also because our interactions in said neighborhood make me confident he's town.

hold on I've got to go, I'm just going to post what I've got and come back later

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2022, 02:51:04 pm »

Hmmm...

Well, that actually does explain a bunch about their connection. It has a bit of explanation behind a lot of their decisions.

It does still tie them together, but that's a far better explanation than Jim's, so you'll have to excuse me if I still think he's sus af, since he literally did nothing Day 1 and was totally content with voting out TricMagic, but I can't argue that your reasoning for why he's Town and all that don't make sense, and it actually does go a long way towards explaining some of the oddities of your Day 1 play.

It's also a terrible gambit to play as scum, so it's less likely that Max/Jim is a team...

Hm. Tough call. Unvote, I guess. I'll at least move Max down the list, and Jim... is a little less suspicious, though not entirely.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2022, 03:01:26 pm »

Web, do you mind explaining why it's max / jim and why of the two you want max lynched first?

Also, I'm leaning towards the "don't buy" option but since Roden and I need to decide together to get things done am still holding off. Roden do you want me to buy to give web info about me (and are you willing to do the same) or would you prefer web  stay in stage 1 of his role and retain night options?
I rejected his offer yesterday when Tric claimed accepting caused him to gain a negative passive. Plus the ability I stole from Web heavily implies that he has multiple ways to manipulate other people's actions if they accept his offer. I'm guessing he's literally the Devil given the flavor context.

Why are you asking me specifically though?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2022, 03:11:05 pm »

Because I was under the impression that you had been given the offer a second time, and that the best outcomes would be if we both made the same choice.

I am now wondering if you and I both got the same message.

What was the wordcount of the non-bolded words in the message you got from web last night Roden? and what was the fifth word of the last sentence of the largest section?

for me the wordcount of the non-bolded words was 247 words 1,384 characters, as counted by wordcounter.net. and the fifth word of the last sentence of the largest section was "this".

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2022, 03:18:31 pm »

I didn't get anything from Web last night, only the night before. All he told me then was that I shouldn't buy but that he can't stop me if I choose to.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2022, 03:20:12 pm »

The devil? That's your best guess? The devil buys souls, they don't sell evil!

Unfortunately, manipulate actions is inaccurate at best. I can only manipulate things randomly, as you can tell buy my stolen Action, and from what Tric said Yesterday.

I didn't get anything from Web last night, only the night before. All he told me then was that I shouldn't buy but that he can't stop me if I choose to.
Uh, excuse me?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2022, 03:20:23 pm »

Web, your message to me last night was explicitly addressed to both me and Roden, and even had a section directed to Roden specifically, can you explain what happened here?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2022, 03:22:21 pm »

Web, your message to me last night was explicitly addressed to both me and Roden, and even had a section directed to Roden specifically, can you explain what happened here?
I cannot explain. I rechecked to make sure I sent it to both you and Roden, and that is what I did.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54