Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 - Game Over - Et tu, Egan?  (Read 23411 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner BYOR Mafia 3 (9 / 9) - Day 1 - Opening Act
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2022, 05:12:56 pm »

Okay, so you have given me no extra information because I already believe Egan_BW is Town.

Also, Maximum Spin is probably also your other Shakeragian role.
Haven't caught up yet, but I saw my name flagged, so I wanted to add: I have never submitted a role in that form and I never will, because I don't like cliches or doing things the way other people do them. :P
My role is in fact just a simple two-word noun phrase this time.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2022, 05:23:27 pm »

Knightwing, that's perfectly fair. I figured I'd ask just in case, but I understand wanting to keep it private.

Do you mind explaining why you used a roleblock on the night when no kills can happen?

I wanted to use a ability becaus I didn’t get to before
I dislike this answer.

To explain, night 0 is an opportunity for town to collect information. In fact that's exactly how having a night 0 can reduce / remove the RVS phase of the game. roleblocks used on N0 do provide information - they confirm to (not-the-user) that (the-user) has a roleblock... and that's all it does. and it comes at the price of preventing the person you block from getting information of their own. In fact, lets pretend for the moment that you did get to block scum. By being blocked you also removed said scum's need to give the town information to try to confirm themselves, since they can simply, completely honestly, claim to have been blocked, and then call it a day. So... unless your roleblock does something else at the same time, or you have some other mitigating factor, then roleblocking on N0 is a bad move.

If kills could happen, it would change my answer immediately, but since there's no kills, roleblocking last night was a bad move.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2022, 05:29:11 pm »

map of claims:

Knightwing64 - received the option to Buy from webadict, chose not to. (Has not claimed their action)
webadict - got a crude message, used an ability on multiple targets, suggests they do not Buy.
TricMagic - received the option to Buy from webadict, chose to Buy. also gave someone an ability.
Lenglon - roleblocked, recieved no message, has an auto that should have told them who roleblocked them, and attempted action was a message to TricMagic.
Roden - received the option to Buy from webadict. (Has not claimed their action)
Shakerag - No Action, had a non-kill action performed on them, got a crude message
Egan_BW - gave shakerag an extra action on night 1, nothing else happened to them.
Maximum Spin - made a friend
Jim Groovester - tracked one of (knightwing, lenglon, roden, egan_bw, maximum spin) to one of (knightwing, webadict, tricmagic, maximum spin)

is this correct?

Unvote
Roden: What was your action last night?
None of your business Lenglon.

Quick reminder to everyone that town keeps losing BYORs because of the focus on roles and mechanics. BYOR1 was an easy mafia stomp because both scum members openly role fished everyone and encouraged town to rely on mechanics to win. I recommend maybe not giving the scum team information they don't need to have, but that's just me.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2022, 05:37:04 pm »

Quick reminder to everyone that town keeps losing BYORs because of the focus on roles and mechanics. BYOR1 was an easy mafia stomp because both scum members openly role fished everyone and encouraged town to rely on mechanics to win. I recommend maybe not giving the scum team information they don't need to have, but that's just me.
Yeah, that's not how this works. here's the thing: I'm asking what was done in the past, not what your role is overall, and not what you can do in the future. The scum are the privliged few that already have most to all of the information they need. it IS correct to not share what you WILL be doing, especially if what you are doing gives you a chance to catch out lying scum. for a good example of this look at Jim's claim. What is scummy as hell is actively trying to make sure that people don't share information and to keep the town in the dark about everything. If you need to keep something to yourself that is perfectly fine, but pushing for town to not communicate anything at all or ask questions at all? that's straight-up-scum behavior.

My vote on you has now switched from basically RVS to pressure / lynch. enjoy.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2022, 05:39:03 pm »

Well, there goes that ability. Thank's Webadict.

Apparently accepting it ended up giving me the Status Effect Released Evil. Which immediately got used to disable my auto. Decent news at least, since it would have painted anyone I targeted as mafia for that night. But it also made me immune to framejobs.

... All in all, a positive so long as one doesn't trust results blindly. But also a note there may be frames here.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2022, 05:40:07 pm »

As this is going nowhere fast. A question to everyone, who would you daykill right now? (If you had the ability.) I pick Roden for being silent. (Not really, but eh.) More Lenglon for fishing things up rather than analyzing posts, though to be fair we are in RVS despite a Night 0. Focusing on mechanics alone won't work when there is no kill actions on that night.
What about my activity so far is me "being silent"? You say this every time I go to bed and activity picks up in the game, and you used this as an excuse to push me in Headhunters when you rolled Cult. You're gonna have to explain how this is a Tric-ism and not a bad faith push.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2022, 05:42:12 pm »

Tric-ism, really? And was just wondering where you are. How confident are you in a Lenglon lynch?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2022, 05:43:04 pm »

Yeah, that's not how this works. here's the thing: I'm asking what was done in the past, not what your role is overall, and not what you can do in the future. The scum are the privliged few that already have most to all of the information they need. it IS correct to not share what you WILL be doing, especially if what you are doing gives you a chance to catch out lying scum. for a good example of this look at Jim's claim. What is scummy as hell is actively trying to make sure that people don't share information and to keep the town in the dark about everything. If you need to keep something to yourself that is perfectly fine, but pushing for town to not communicate anything at all or ask questions at all? that's straight-up-scum behavior.

Lmao

"guys I swear I just want to communicate information, just trust me bro and tell me your actions"

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2022, 05:51:00 pm »

... As a note Lenglon. Jim wanting town to keep things dark is not the same as scum knowing everything. Scum only knows who town is, they'd want info on what people can do so they can stop them. I for one, give gifts. Webadict is a devil. And someone sent out messages.

Also, something odd. Webadict says he steals the rolename first, but.. Min, Remove abilities, which isn't quite the same. It just says my ability is disabled.

You targeted me last night. What reason was that? Overall Jim wanting to keep things somewhat obscured makes some sense. As Mafia can make full use of that info as well.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2022, 05:53:20 pm »

You guys would seriously daykill me for only having had time to post once? I wasn't even here yet! :P
My answer to the question... right now, probably Shakerag. At first I was going to say Tric or Knightwing, neither of whom sound like their townselves to me right now, with Shakerag as a close third, but Tric and Knightwing will almost certainly resolve themselves one way or the other soon, while Shakerag might not. I don't know his meta well enough to say. Plus, Egan gave Shakerag some kind of powerful gift so since I'm suspicious of Shakerag that's even more of a red flag.

For a real answer, possibly max speen, who hasn't posted much more than a very vague claim.
It's going to stay vague. With one exception to follow. Town benefits from the situation remaining nonspecific. Besides, there's at least one person who knows my action already.

Okay, so I've been weighing something, and I think there is something I do need to claim first.
One of my abilities comes with a drawback that I might, at some point, become a miller depending on the actions of others. I won't say how because I don't want mafia to know how to trigger it. Basically, my role is highly dependent on other people's actions in general. I also won't actually necessarily know if this happens. I was a little worried about claiming this because A) I don't want to get mislynched! and more importantly B) I don't like the idea of this information being in the hands of scum... but I should probably tell you before it becomes a problem. To the best of my knowledge this has not occurred yet. If I suspect it has happened, I will do my best to keep everyone informed.

That's too many posts while I was typing.
Tric-ism, really?
You do have Tric-isms. It's best to just lean into it in my opinion.

I don't like this statement. You did this same thing as town in BeBYOR2, so I can't firmly call it scummy, but it really rubs me the wrong way. "Absolutely nothing has meaningfully changed since I was already voting for you, but now I'm making an excuse to leave my vote in a place that was supposedly random before."

Apparently accepting it ended up giving me the Status Effect Released Evil. Which immediately got used to disable my auto.
What does it do exactly, if you don't mind sharing?

How confident are you in a Lenglon lynch?
I'm open to it, for the record. I'm not comfortable with that buddying I saw back in... here:
I'd not be willing to shoot shakerag, egan, web, or you. [...] Of course, if you let me kill as many as I want, I'd daykill everyone but Egan and Shake, and declare what i was doing when I did it. then since there'd probably be at least one kill-immune scum if that ability was in the game, there'd still be three town alive to vote them out.

STOP POSTING NEW THINGS
I'm going to let the next couple wait for now so I can get this out, okay. I'll read them in a minute. Uhhh, the most important part of this post kind of ended up getting buried, so GO BACK AND READ SECTION 3 PLEASE. I mean, this is mafia, you should read it all, but be sure to check that bit.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2022, 05:57:41 pm »

Tric I think you misunderstood me, I'm using Jim as an example of Town behavior. He's withholding information that can be used to catch out lying scum. That is fine. What is not fine is Roden actively suppressing attempts to share information.

anyway, I targeted you because it would have set me up to be able to gather information about you N1, and you have been troublesome for me to read in the past, so I wanted to investigate you mechanically.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2022, 05:58:08 pm »

Tric-ism, really? And was just wondering where you are. How confident are you in a Lenglon lynch?
I was in bed, asleep.

After Lenglon's response I'm more confident in a red flip there. They somehow interpreted "hey let's not rely on mechanics and roles to win since scum consistently wins by encouraging town to share that info" as "nobody should talk or communicate or ask questions whatsoever".

Like what the fuck. That's not even close to what I said, and it's pretty clear to see what I actually said and where I'm coming from when I say not to rely in mechanics and outing roles. It's a scummy misrep, and the funniest part is that if Lenglon wants to 1v1 me then I know I win just by claiming my role and action like they asked lol.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2022, 06:03:05 pm »

To MS, it does absolutely nothing. Which makes me think it's a charge-type scenario. Webadict just triggered it immediately. Good for removing the first ability in your list I suppose. Not going to be taking that 'bargain' again though.

Trying to investigate me mechanically would have done absolutely nothing if I was mafia. I actively resisted being labeled as mafia before. Now not so much.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2022, 06:06:16 pm »

Okay, I feel much more confident now that this is Town Tric. Please disregard previous statement of suspicion.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2022, 06:14:50 pm »

Trying to investigate me mechanically would have done absolutely nothing if I was mafia. I actively resisted being labeled as mafia before. Now not so much.
I disagree, but that's fine. that particular idea won't work now anyway, because reasons, and I have other suspects at this time anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54