Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Shattered Update 4: Against all odds  (Read 1622 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Shattered Update 2: Respite
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 01:42:23 pm »

A

I say that if no pressing event presents itself next turn, we should be able to semi-safely send an expedition back.
If and semi-safely being the operative sections here.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 01:04:16 am »

A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 10:46:33 pm »

A. The world is still very dangerous outside your oasis. You'll make weapons, and organize defenses.

You may be nothing a ragged band of refuges on the edge of an endless wasteland at the end of the world, but damn if you wont be dangerous. Stones are knapped, sticks are sharpened and hardened in fire. The crude beginnings of a palisade give way to a more modest fence along the exposed edge of the village. An outlying tree is converted to a watchtower with a platform strapped on top, and a rotating watch keeps someone always in it.

With weapons come the capacity for violence, and soon your diet of bugs and tubers is supplemented with the occasional bit of meat hunted in the forest. Stone spears are replaced by sharpened bone tips, and small pelts become simple skins to replace the tattered cloths you had. Tiny skulls begin to decorate the inside of mud and grass huts, and a growing sense of strength begins to fill the community. You make sure enough spears exist for everyone to have one, and then a few extra. Nobody out there will take you by surprise now.

Its been a whole moon now since you arrived here, or it would be if that was a meaningful measurement anymore. Enough time for your people to being to settle at least. Some of the younger ones already think of this place as "home" now. Maybe you should [give your village a name] to mark it so.

Home. It'll be that for all of you someday you hope. What comes next in your home?

A. A celebration! A new home! You'll organize a grand hunt for bigger game, and a feast to mark this occasion!

B. A few mud huts and a well are nothing to be proud of. You'll organize a more serious (and permanent) building effort.

C. You'll have your people make a more deliberate and detailed exploration of your surroundings.

D. You'll organize an expedition back, to recover what stragglers remain from the journey.

E. The world just ended. You'll let them rest for more than a few days. A lifetime might not be enough to feel at peace again.

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Shattered Update 3: I drew y'all a picture for this one
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 01:22:41 am »

Sounds like it might be time for D.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 03:08:54 am »

It's been a couple of weeks- what stragglers there were are probably dead.

B
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 03:26:41 am »

That's not really that long when you think about it and there's always hope that not everyone is dead.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 04:16:01 am »

D

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 05:43:33 am »

D

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 05:56:22 am »

It seems I've been outvoted.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2022, 08:59:37 am »

D, and let’s name the town Sundown.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 02:30:48 pm »

D

Sundown sounds good to me.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2022, 03:18:38 am »

I also like the sound of Sundown.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2022, 02:21:28 am »

You decide to name the town Sundown for now.

D. You'll organize an expedition back, to recover what stragglers remain from the journey.

It may be late, but your people are not forgotten. You gather who you can afford to send. Your sharpest scouts, your fiercest warriors. Bags are filled with dried grubs and squirrel skins with water. You organize a core to stay at the village under the care of your second. When at last your preparations are made you set off at dusk, traveling in the cool of the night.

The first days out are a stark reminder of the brutality of this world. There is often nowhere to hide in the heat of the day, and the blasted soil wont support a burrow. When you are lucky, you shelter in the huge fissures that sometimes cross the landscape. A single corpse is found two days out. He is unknown to your people, and though he seems to have been dead for some time, even the rot struggles to take hold here. He appears mummified and desiccated, grinning into the dirt. You leave a piled stone marker as best you can, no time to dig a proper grave.
As you continue outwards, the land begins to soften though. Its almost imperceptible at first, a stray weed pushing through the soil. Then when night falls, the sound of crickets. Sparse, and often far away, but noticeable in the stillness you have become accustomed to.

4*

As you travel on the fifth night, you finally see it; A flicker of light on the horizon. Dawn breaks to reveal a whisper of smoke smeared across the sky.
In another day of travel you've reached it.

The smell hits you before you see it. Rot has not struggled here.
Its a grim scene, a survivors camp grown up around a tiny freshwater spring. Half starved skeletons raise their eyes as you enter. A pile of bodies overflows a trench. There is almost more people here than in your village, thought they are in a sorry state.
Rations are distributed as you can spare, the more alive stagger to their feet. The rest is a flurry of work and heartbreak. It is few who can make the first journey back with you, but when your group returns it is almost double its size.

The next week is a whirlwind. Runners bring rations to the camp, leaving in small groups as they try to nurse the people there to health enough to travel. An endless trickle of refugee return with them and you work day and night expanding the village and gathering food. It seems endless, but at last things begin to calm down. The village has grown considerably, pushing in through the barrier of trees now, and spilling out around the fence that held you before. Your settlement has certainly increased in [Size].

Your second finds you helping strip bark from from a pile of freshly cut poles. These have been in high demand as you struggle to house all your new citizens. A rather interesting report has accompanied one of the latest groups arriving. A dust storm forced them off the usual course quite a ways on their return. They came across the ruin of some huge magical construct collapsed in the wasteland. One of the younger lads climbed onto the thing and was killed by a spell when he carelessly stepped on a rune. Word of this incident is spreading quickly and you'll need to take action of some sort before long. The construct is about three days travel out from the village in a dry riverbed. You sigh, dropping your tools to the ground. So much for the simple life today.

On the topic of the ruined construct:

A. Declare the site off limits, with punishment of Exile. (You can revisit this issue at another time)

B. Organize a more proper research expedition. Rune magic could be useful if you could understand it.

C. This place is dangerous. Organize an expedition to properly demolish it, so that it can pose no risk to you.

As for your next actions:

A. A celebration! A new home! You'll organize a grand hunt for bigger game, and a feast to mark this occasion!

B. Mud huts and a well are nothing to be proud of. You'll organize a more serious (and permanent) building effort.

C. You'll have your people make a more deliberate and detailed exploration of your surroundings.

D. With the settlement so much bigger now, you'll need to reorganize your approach to industry. Warehouses and workstations could go a long way.

E. The world just ended. You'll let them rest for more than a few days. A lifetime might not be enough to feel at peace again.

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: The Shattered Update 4: Against all odds
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2022, 02:49:32 am »

We totally don't have resources or skilled bolds to play with magic. Exploring more stuff would be good, in the meanwhile.

AC
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Shattered Update 4: Against all odds
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2022, 03:57:22 am »

BC
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3