Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aggressive Logs?  (Read 1580 times)

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aggressive Logs?
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:04:00 pm »

A weaponsmith of mine was hauling wood when I received an alert that he cancelled this task because he was unconscious. I checked reports and it said, "The birch logs strikes the weaponsmith in the right upper leg, and the injured part is crushed!" Is this a bug, or do logs actually fall when they're chopped from a tree, and the weaponsmith was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Either way, pretty funny that it thinks of this interaction as combat.
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive Logs?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 10:37:48 pm »

IIRC, falling logs spawned from a chopped tree don't hurt, but if they land on another tree and that tree is chopped down, the old logs can injure dwarves.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 10:42:03 pm »

Aha! Interesting... Well, my weaponsmithing's going to be a bit slower for a while, because this guy cannot stand anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 12:59:57 am »

Turn that log into a crutch for him.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 12:52:35 am »

It mightn't be a bad Idea to keep an Eye on the Combat Reports, just in case the Logs fell for other Reasons - We once suffered a Rash of Log Attacks due to an ill-placed Dump.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 10:20:59 pm »

In my very first play of Dwarf Fortress, the very first thing that happened was I told a dorf to chop a tree and a log fell on him, breaking his legs so he couldn’t even move. Not knowing how to manage labors back then, that was the end of my first fort XD

It’s rare, but I’ve noticed that occasionally when chopping a willow tree next to a pond the tree-chopper can injure themselves.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 11:09:26 pm »

It mightn't be a bad Idea to keep an Eye on the Combat Reports, just in case the Logs fell for other Reasons - We once suffered a Rash of Log Attacks due to an ill-placed Dump.

similarly, I once had a dwarf crushed to death by jewels. thrown down a 10-z level shaft, one-by-one, until he died. discovering that was somewhat horrifying

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 04:50:57 pm »

similarly, I once had a dwarf crushed to death by jewels. thrown down a 10-z level shaft, one-by-one, until he died. discovering that was somewhat horrifying

We once lost a Cat to socks.  The Drop was only one Z-Level, but somehow that was Enough.