Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 80174 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #495 on: March 09, 2023, 02:47:31 pm »

Its a new world order, praise the water dogs.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2023, 03:28:01 pm »

Kitfox know
https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1633859288853782529

Uh-oh, here comes the rush of new clicks/views...

capy's are in vogue right now and I have no idea why. waterlures was my first inclination that the new order was upon us.

Huh, I thought capies were like a thing already ages ago (long before the llama and alpaca trends)... But maybe they're cool again or sumthin' (okay, capybaras are always cool if you ask me)?

Its a new world order, praise the water dogs.

Praise the rodents amazing bath-swine!

(In other news, no, I haven't had any luck in trying to get meself to continue as of yet...  :'()

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2023, 04:31:54 pm »

I am more than happy to take over for a while if needs be. If you tell me what the settling arangements are for the fortress.

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2023, 09:07:38 pm »

Going to give one more go today or tomorrow and see if I get at least the unretirement cleanup done. It's really a huge hassle since all the food stockpiles need to be redone, all rooms reassigned, work orders redone, random new "citizens" kicked out and doing something to get rid of the "visitors" stuck on the map, among other things.

So, it's something I'd like (okay, "like" is probably not the right word but...) to do personally so that nothing isn't missed.

If I don't manage that by tomorrow's end, I've got several ideas/options in my mind that I'll pitch you in a PM. How's that sound?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 10, 2023, 04:32:38 am »

I for one welcome our Capybara overloads.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 10, 2023, 09:46:50 am »

If I don't manage that by tomorrow's end, I've got several ideas/options in my mind that I'll pitch you in a PM. How's that sound?

Sounds good to me

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2023, 03:36:19 am »

Okay.

Slight update on the situation of Waterlures: I'm possibly having an urge to actually continue Waterlures proper now. It might take some time still to get things going smoothly with all the unretirement hassle and such, and it's possible some unexpected things pop up.

Currently in the process of doing the unretire cleanup, and by Ôsed's long ears, there's lots to do! I'm trying to deal with the loads of unwanted "visitors" that are listed as hostile by unretire-anyone'ing them and making them citizens that way (I've done it in the past without issue, but...). Okay, a couple were with fake names and I couldn't unretire them with those, so I teleported them into the caverns (temporarily revealing the place). Good luck dealing with the forgotten beast, jerks.

What's most depressing is that when reassigning beds, I've noticed that many long time citizens have either moved away or are traveling. (King Zultan will probably not be pleased to know that his named capy Vucar 'Zultan' is among them.) It's weird to feel heavy hearted when you notice some of your favorite little 'c's missing and that they probably won't come back. :(

(...And I almost cried when I came to one bed, which I had named 'Suwu'.  :'( )

In any case, I hope I'll manage to solve all the issues and get an update going (and not get too depressed how things have changed).

But it might be that Waterlures is now a very different place after Suwu, Ova, Cañar and Rin went on their adventures...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2023, 01:49:36 pm »

yesssss :] love this place.

What's most depressing is that when reassigning beds, I've noticed that many long time citizens have either moved away or are traveling. (King Zultan will probably not be pleased to know that his named capy Vucar 'Zultan' is among them.) It's weird to feel heavy hearted when you notice some of your favorite little 'c's missing and that they probably won't come back.

serious animal crossing vibes

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2023, 06:21:19 pm »

yesssss :] love this place.

Me too!

Felt like coming home after a long journey (well, then again we were on a long adventure for quite some time) when I unretired the fort.

Looks like I finally got my mood to write back, so there's definitely an update coming. Will take a day or two, since I'll have to do another retire/unretire hassle, lol. This is mainly due to me noticing only after playing a whole season that the militia commander is also traveling, which is a huge problem. So, I'll have to hop into adventure mode and "teleport" them back to Waterlures. I'll do the same to a couple others who are listed as traveling, but not to all of them.

But yeah, luckily unretirement wasn't as much work as I thought and I hadn't yet redone stockpiles and work orders when I noticed the commander missing, so it won't be too much of an extra burden. Maybe I'll bring a few extra capies or other beings to the village-soon-town (we're almost at 80 population, so uh, not long until sieges happen) at the same time?

Anyway, if someone is wanting to be dorfed capied, just say so and I'll do that.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 15, 2023, 02:43:21 am »

IT RETURNS! The hype it builds!

(King Zultan will probably not be pleased to know that his named capy Vucar 'Zultan' is among them.)
Aw man my guy ran off, here's hoping he's one of the ones you're planning to get back.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 15, 2023, 03:00:14 am »

(King Zultan will probably not be pleased to know that his named capy Vucar 'Zultan' is among them.)
Aw man my guy ran off, here's hoping he's one of the ones you're planning to get back.

He's on the list as he's one of the more important figures and part of a squad. Just hoping anything bad hasn't happened to him on his travels (which is always a possibility, albeit a small one in my experience).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 15, 2023, 03:48:13 am »

Oh good I liked that little guy, hope when you find him out there he's okay.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 15, 2023, 08:02:36 am »

Book II

Part I:
A Capybara Outpost Revisited

Limestone of year 371

Autumn arrived in Waterlures, a village of capybara folk built on the serene shores of the Lakes of Saturninity. The leaves of the trees were turning into fiery reds and yellows as nature prepared to rest for the coming winter. Squirrels and other woodland animals scurried about gathering their winter stores, while fairies and pixies darted playfully across the waters of the lakes.

The capybaras, too, were hard at work: for the caravan from the Mountainhome had been sighted and was making its way to the village. Off they went to fetch crafts and other goods; gathering bundles of their old threadbare (but still of masterful quality) clothing for the fripperers among the merchants. Such clothes were in high demand back at the capital, where poor folk barely scraped a living under the oppressive yoke of the Unaging King.

Things had changed much in the peaceful village during the passing year. Some said that things were better before, while others -- mostly the young ones -- were excited about the future and what it might bring. Regardless of one's opinion, the change had begun ever since The Enchanted Bridge, an inn was opened and visitors were welcomed with open arms to the growing, once reclusive, hamlet of the mysterious capybara folk.

And as Waterlures had grown, it attracted all sorts of unwanted attention too: foul beasts of the Night, giants, cyclopes, and ettins -- not to mention all sorts of unsavory types coming to scheme and plot.

And it was these troubles that eventually led to events, which -- according to mayor Likot Languagehame -- caused the mess she was now in: much of the old folk and elders left as strangers of all the races of Minbazkar moved in and the original goal of Kasat's dream seemed to fade into the background. Or, at least so the elders had thought. But was it not Kasat's dream to build a new home, a new future for all those -- capybara or not -- who wished to escape the iron grip of the King?

Truly, even the founders had among their ranks others than capybara folk, so why should it now be any different?

Tirist Brasshandles, the dwarven outpost liaison from the Mountainhome waddled up the stairs of The Enchanted Bridge, heading up to the mayorial office for a meeting. 'Damned be these stairs, and damn these surface-dwelling rodents,' he huffed and puffed as his massive amounts of lard weighed him down, exhausting him. 'What manner of insanity has taken hold of them so that they build their homes here where it constantly rains in torrents? It makes me so grouchy! And why, why all these towers with their blasted stairs!? And of course the mayor chose to have her office in one of the highest of towers!' He grumbled in his mind as he desperately tried to wrench the water from his toga to make himself more presentable for the occasion.

After exchanging formalities Tirist and Likot made trade agreements for the next year, as per usual. There was nothing out of the ordinary there: the capybara folk mainly ordered various kinds of stone from the dwarven quarries, and in exchange the dwarves wanted all sorts of goods -- mainly goblets and bracelets this time.

After conducting business, Tirist told of affairs and happenings of the outer world. While Likot wasn't too interested in what happened out of the confines of the walls of Waterlures, as mayor she needed to know if there were any potential new dangers threatening her home and citizens. War was something she was always afraid of, something she knew had devastated much of the world, and she wanted to keep it away from Waterlures at all costs. Peace was something she truly valued.

But news of troubles was not all she wanted to hear. She hoped that there might be news of the four who had left Waterlures without a word in the silence of the night over half a year ago.

She was, of course, thinking of Suwu, the capybara woman archer captain, Cañar, the elephant man hammerer, Rin, the goblin assistant sheriff, and Ova, the humble and perhaps a little simple-minded mandrill man archer. They had left for Morningwilt, a forest retreat just a short distance to the west, to inform young Lòr of the death of his father who had fallen while heroically defending Waterlures from a werebeast attack.

It should have been only a day's trip, or possibly several if they'd linger there longer. But days turned to weeks, weeks to months, and still there was no sign, no word of them.

And ever since they left, Likot felt things began to slip out of her control. More and more visitors; petition after petition; tragic deaths in freezing water when treacherous ice gave way; and then that creature of the night, the lumbering troll who had come and rampaged. Needless death after needless death. It was something that wasn't supposed to happen!

With their small militia ever the smaller after the four left, Kumil the faun militia warden and Likot (along with many of the elders) were worried for the safety of the village. So Kumil had sent out word that Waterlures was in need of bold sell-swords, being careful that the word would not reach the ears of the usurper baron Stukos Matchedsabres nor the Unaging King Såkzul Cudgeltapers.

And truly, Mestthos was on their side, for in late summer several mercenaries and beast hunters answered the call: Alåth Clearednet, a dwarf; Urdim Planrocks, a black bear woman; Kesp Glidedwatched, a capybara man; and Itstrul Wheelscrow and Ared Scrubbedraven, two capybara women. They came from the north, The Cobalt Empires, from a castle called Trailglitter.

Rumor and story of Waterlures had previously reached them, and they had admired the tales and the perseverance of the brave, honest follk living there. So when they heard Waterlures was in need for swords for hire, they did not have to think twice.

And so they came from the war-torn north to help keep the peaceful capybara folk of Waterlures safe.

4th of Timber, 371

It was early Timber when young Fath, one of the sons of late Baroness Kasat, was struck by a strange mood caused by unknown powers. It was not something that should happen to capybara folk: before Waterlures, none had heard of such a thing as a capybara creating an artifact, for it was thought that only the stout children of the mountains held the gift within them.

What caused it to happen here was not known. But there were speculations that the very magical nature of the place was behind it (or if Yawo, the witch-doctor of a mandrill woman, were still alive, she would say it was because of 'the angry spirits'). The unseen forces of nature, the power of the Rabbit in the Sky, could practically be felt in the air here at times.

Whatever the cause, Fath dropped what he was doing and headed off to the crafting area in the mines, down the hall to the now rarely used forge which the plump helmet man 'Avo' had made. There he looked at the cold and dusty forge, mumbling “Dataninash... Dataninash...” as he turned around and went to fetch bars of steel from the stocks.

He then lit the fires of the old forge and began working.

When Fath finally finished his creation he lifted it up: a masterfully crafted bow of steel. It was simple in its design, decorated only with several studs that highlighted the shape of the weapon, but that was precisely where its beauty and elegance lay.

“I will call you Fath Dataninash, Fath Ironorgan,” the capybara man said smiling. It was his name and now it was the name of his bow too, which he would offer to the service of Waterlures.

And he would be the one to wield it, moving his militia position from the Fenced Princes to the Turquoise Veils, for the archers needed more in their ranks now that Suwu and Ova were away.

1st of Moonstone, 371

Winter arrived in Waterlures. The lake froze and snow fell from the sky, covering the ground and roofs in a blanket of white. The capybara folk were still working, even though the coming of winter was a time to slow down and relax with friends and family. The walkways atop the lake were bustling with traffic as cleaned fish was being hauled to barrels for storage, cloth taken to the stores above the tailor's, and barrels of beverages rolled to the wine cellars.

However, work would soon halt, for it was about time for the traditional Winter Festivals where everyone would head to the Fruit of Letters to have a good time drinking, eating, singing and dancing, forging new friendships and deepening existing bonds.

And possibly some might find affection and love where they didn't expect (though, so far no such thing has ever happened during the festivities, despite late Baroness Kasat's hopes for such things).

16th of Moonstone, 371

The Winter Festivals were just around the corner when Fikod Livingglazes gave birth to her fourth child at one of the wayshrines dedicated to Ôsed. It had been quite a year for her: she had been appointed as captain of the Turquoise Veils in the absence of Suwu, which she could not find in her to refuse even though she knew she was with child; and her husband Kogan had suddenly left to attend to “urgent matters” somewhere near the Mountainhome.

Kogan's departure was odd, for neither Fikod nor he had ever left the confines of Waterlures. It had Fikod somewhat worried, for she had a feeling in her gut that her husband had somehow been ensnared by one of those 'unsavory characters' and their schemes (there was, of course, no evidence of such plots, but such were the rumors circulating). She hoped he was safe and alright and that her fears would be proven wrong.

However, none of that mattered now, for Fikod was full of adoration and bliss as she cuddled her newborn boy.

Opal of year 371

After Moonstone passed and Opal began, the Winter Festival began. Work was halted for the remainder of the year and all flocked to the Fruit of Letter as was tradition. The hall was full to the brim with capybara folk, dwarves, several elephant men, goblins, elves and even a handful of human prophets came to drink and be merry.

But while the others were feasting and socializing, the broker Atír Archsinged decided to work. He was determined to cut enough blocks of phyllite so that work on the temple to Ôsed could continue once spring arrived. With all that had happened this year, nearly no progress had been made at the construction site.

And Atír thought it a shame. No wonder the gorlak prophet Ïteb left Waterlures with several others.

Atír was not alone in staying out of the festivities: Fayoba Claspedleap, the elf Sheriff of Waterlures, too, chose to rather work than mingle. It was unusual and folk thought it mighty queer indeed, for Fayoba was one who liked to take it easy and very much enjoyed the company of others.

'Let there be peace throughout the world,' the red haired elf thought as he carried yarn to the looms for weaving. While he normally could find something to joke about in every situation, war was something entirely different: it was an abomination, a perversion of competition and creation -- something cruel without even a trace of gaiety in it. He usually avoided thinking of it, but the news brought by the dwarven caravan was troubling and weighed upon Fayoba's mind.

The merchants had told that the powers of Darkness had besieged Violetgems, one of the few fortress of Ustuth Ïdath, the Fence of Amusement. A horde of goblins waving the banners of the Tight Torments had descended upon its walls with no warning and as if from nowhere.

What was worse, was that this was no ordinary group of goblins.

No, they were led by beings from the Underworld: a towering brute resembling a noseless pig twisted into humanoid form was in command. And the ranks of the goblins were bolstered with what could only be other demonic entities from the Other Side.

The dwarves stood no chance and Violetgems fell.

Word of the news had been kept so far away from the ears of others than mayor Kasat, Fayoba and the militia warden Kumil. Fayoba was conflicted about this, but perhaps it was best this way until Kumil returned with 'Zultan'.

For when Kumil had heard the disturbing news, he immediately put Vabôk and the other monks in charge of defenses and set out with 'Zultan' to gather more hands to defend Waterlures. The faun believed it was only a matter of time when the goblins would take notice of the growing village and undoubtedly hear (exaggerated) rumors of its wealth. Not to mention that it might be in the interest of some of those who played foul to see Waterlures fall.

Kasat had thought Kumil's plan was necessary and given it her approval.

This, of course, placed a larger burden on Fayoba's shoulders, for as Sheriff, he was the one supposed to take care that no plotting and scheming or other wickedness happened within the walls. It was something the assistant sheriff Rin had taken care of earlier, but now... Now with Rin gone along with Suwu, Cañar and Ova, and no word of them for nearly a year, it was Fayoba who would have to deal with dastardly plotters all alone.

Oh how he hoped Kumil would return soon!

And Rin and the others who had been gone for far too long.

OOC: And just as I was about to end this part, we got an artifact. While I didn't do a writeup of it, the artifact is a figurine of Tekkud/Pan, so it warrants a bit of attention. Here's a couple screenshots:

=====

So I decided that we'll now start "book II" (or season 2, whatever you prefer), since there's been a bit of a break and I feel like something was concluded with the (tragic) end of Suwu's adventures, and it seems new plots are unfolding.

I'm still not done playing for the day, but decided to put out this part, since it's already quite long.

Feels good to be back in Waterlures.

...Though it might be that I'll be alternating between modes (and possibly between forts), since many of the "plots" are actually player-driven and won't happen on their own.

But when I eventually do these, would you prefer that I do a writeup of the events or keep them hidden and in the background? Like, let's say if (hypothetically speaking) Cañar goes and does some wicked necromancer stuff, would you like to have a written account of it or possibly hear later of such villainous activity in rumors/news or such?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 15, 2023, 02:40:17 pm »

Ah what a loving tribute to Pan, i hope it will be displayed the libaray for all to see.

Season 2 looking good, a lot is happening in the world so im curious if any of the side adventures will rear their heads in some way.

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2023, 12:54:00 am »

@AvolitionBrit, I actually realized that the capies you encountered on your previous adventure were from Waterlures after all. It just looks like they're under false names, but the title 'Novice Monk' revealed that one of them is Etur Laborworth. He's the young capybara who joined the ranks of Vabôk's monks and was disappointed not to get enough training.

Do you have any recollection about where on the map you saw them? It's nothing important really, but I'm curious to know where they've been roaming.

I was thinking of bringing them back with Kumil and Zultan, but when I realized they've been met during an adventure, well, maybe let their 'important mission' run its course. Sometimes traveling militia members do return to the fort (at least I think this has happened to me before), but it might take months or years.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49