Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 80139 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2022, 06:50:16 pm »

Nice update, treat yourself to a drink for sure. I wonder what those at waterlure are thinking on this matter. Also if you are busy again let me know as i would be down to play again. Maybe an adventure or a few more years.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 10, 2022, 07:17:22 pm »

Haha, I treat myself with drinks maybe slightly too often. One can always make up a good excuse for a beer or two...

It'd be great if you'll have time and interest for an adventure! After initial testing the fort stuff is going to be a enormous pain in the butt after this adventure. There's lot of stuff to consider and the notes on it would be too long (and I'd forget to write most of it down), so I'd rather handle it myself.

I'll hopefully finish this part of the quest within a couple days, then do a quick look into Waterlures.

I think there's going to be plenty of quest options in the future and possibly some adventure "camp" stuff too for some more chill times.

Anyways, this day's update coming soon up.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 10, 2022, 08:34:52 pm »

Part XVII:
The Last Stretch

3rd of Granite, 371

A swift, silent stab from behind to the neck was all it took.

The troglodyte lay on the cave floor unmoving, its head now severed from the body. Suwu looked around as her companions crept to the scene.

“There's probably more deeper down,” Suwu whispered.

While a single troglodyte wasn't much of a threat, Suwu knew these were aggressive creatures and often moved in groups. She did not have much of experience of them personally, but when she and Edu lived in the far south, in the Unspeakable Pits, among the group of bandits, these creatures sometimes ascended from the depths to steal food and all manner of trinkets. It was more than in a few cases where they had assaulted any who came across them and tried to chase them away.

'Foul brutes,' she thought as she headed further down, the others trailing close behind.

Suwu did not get far down when she was almost caught off-guard.

In front of her stood a gigantic creature. A muscular humanoid with straight, long hair the color of charcoal falling down his shoulders all the way down to the waist. It -- he -- looked down upon the capybara woman with short sword in hand with its wide-set bulging eyes, drool running down the side of its left head's mouth.

“WHO DARES ENTER MY DEN?”, the right head boomed in a loud voice, the left one continuing, “I AM ZAPAS LARGEFLEW THE LESSONS OF GLOSS.”

A fist came down at Suwu, but missed.

Immediately Suwu swung her sword, striking the left foot deeply. Blood began to gush from the wound as the ankle twisted from the force and the ettin came falling down with a ear-shattering yell.

Suwu's previous encounters with giant-kin had taught her well how to even the odds.

And she did not stop there, proceeding immediately to hack and slash at the enormous monster on the ground before it could recover and retaliate.

Panic took hold of Ova when he saw and heard the beast. He was not expecting anything else than more troglodytes.

“I must withdraw!”, he blurted out as he begun to take a few fumbling steps backwards.

“This is our fight too!”, Rin screamed as he ran towards the ettin, “Ova, follow me!”

Hearing Rin's words and seeing Suwu slash the monster in its right head gave Ova courage and he too leapt into the fray. Without thought he brought down his silver war hammer he had acquired from Finderblunts, hitting the ettin hard in the chest.

“AAAHHHH!”, the ettin yelled in fear, gasping for air, as Rin's blade struck him in the leg.

“HELP!”, the ettin roared as it desperately tried to crawl away from the flurry of blades cutting deeply and hammers crushing bones, “SAVE ME! NOO!”

Ova puckered his lips and averted gaze for a moment as he saw Rin and Suwu strike the giant monster in its lower body, hitting it in the groin, the ettin howling with a surprisingly high-pitched voice.

'That has got to hurt,' the mandrill man thought.

If this ettin survived, it wouldn't be having offspring anymore.

The ettin was surprisingly resilient, but it finally lay dead.

Its right head was badly crushed, brain matter oozing from a crack in the skull. Its guts were trailing behind it after Rin had sliced its stomach open and disemboweled the monster. Yet, neither of those had felled it.

No, it was the numerous amounts of gaping wounds that caused it to bleed to death in the end. It was hard to say who exactly was the one to kill it. But it was Rin who the last to strike him, so it was decided that the goblin should be the one to be counted as its slayer.

“One less of giant-kind roams these lands,” Cañar said as he wiped ettin blood off his tusk, “Minbazkar is a slightly safer place now.”

The cave had not much else to offer: only a couple of troglodytes, which were dealt with easily. They wouldn't be bothering any cave explorers anymore.

Further down the cave had once again led into the deep caverns, but the companions ventured there not.

They returned to the surface and continued their journey towards Fencereined.

They walked across the Scarlet Prairies and eventually the grassland gave way to the wind-swept sands of the Static Dunes.

There an unfortunate honey badger tried to attack Rin, but found out soon enough that its rage was no match to the fury of the goblin.

As they approached the northern border of the desert they saw what appeared to be a village of some kind in the horizon.

And there was something on top of a sand dune to their west. It looked as if there were some movement there.

They decided to investigate it.

They walked up the sandy slope and, indeed, there was something there: a tent.

This was some kind of a camp.

Next to the tent was a fire and next to it sat a creature and on the other side was a two-humped camel. The creature sitting at the fire was a small humanoid, yet it was not of a normal kind. No, this seemed to be one of the abominations, one of the twisted forms created by evil sorcerers.

Dressed in a toga made of fish scales and draped in a woolen cloak was a three-eyed creature looking at them from the fire. As it rose up one could clearly see its wrinkled charcoal skin and the three long, hanging tails trailing behind it.

The incredibly skinny creature walked towards the four who approached it.

Suwu prepared to greet the creature and introduce herself as 'Ker Virtuesilences'. But as she was about to open her mouth, she noticed that the abomination looked rather hostile and was not walking to meet them with good intentions!

“There is no need for aggression!”, Suwu said with as firm a voice as she could muster, “We are but mere travelers.”

“Hah!”, the creature yelled, “We'll see about that!”

Suwu drew her sword.

The creature drew a wicked looking bronze knife and suddenly spewed a glob of some foul substance from its mouth, spitting it towards Suwu.

She dodged it and returned with a slash from her sword at the monster's abdomen.

Rin jumped in, but the creature managed to slash at the goblin, hitting him in his left hand. The blow was deflected be Rin's gauntlet, but the force was enough to twist the wrist. Rin could feel it strain his tendons as a sharp pain hit him.

It was enough for him to loose hold of his buckler.

Yet, it was not enough to hinder the retaliation of the four. No, the monster was immediately rushed on by Cañar who bit and battered him, with Rin lashing out angrily and in pain.

But it was Ova who killed the mockery of a humanoid: a crushing blow from his hammer smashed the head of it with a loud crack.

The three-eyed creature's limp body fell to the ground.

“That one was different,” Suwu said as she examined the body on the ground.

“Another creation of the evil we seek to stop,” Ova replied, “Will this never end?”

After the encounter with the abomination, they made their way towards the village.

At first they thought this was another abandoned one. Many of the houses were in bad shape and some were in complete ruins. The melon vines around the buildings were growing wild, untouched by civilized hand for Ôsed know's how long.

But they then heard muffled voices from inside a house.

As they approached, a human opened the door, and behing him they could see the whole small house full of people.

“Greetings,” Suwu said to the fat man with raw umber skin wearing a turban around his somewhat narrow head, “My name is Ker Virtuesilences and these are my traveling companions.”

“Hello there, capybara woman,” the human replied, continuing, “I am ÿemeni Growlold, praised be Rákfil the Stability of Vising.”

Sitting between two date palms on the bank of a stream, Suwu and the others filled their empty stomachs. The wind rustled in the tall grama grass around them and the sun was high in the western sky.

They were but a short distance to the north from the village, Elderspirals, they had just visited and were thinking of what they had learned from the humans living there.

“Welcome to Elderspirals then,” the human had said and after a small exchange of pleasantries, ÿemeni had explained quite a bit of the curious history of the village.

“Ah, in its former days -- or so I've been told -- Elderspirals was part of the Cobalt Empire. Founded centuries ago only to fall prey of the onslaught of the vile forces of the Prestigious Glazes early on. Those foul sorcerers have plagued these lands for such a long time!”, the human had told them.

“Taking over this village was not enough for them. No, they were far from done. For you see, legends tell that one of the sorcerers, a necromancer going by the name Sigun Gildjump, did foul deeds with the enslaved denizens of Elderspirals. Sigun, a dwarf of the ancient kingdom of the Mighty Ships -- cursed be their name! --, he was said to be an apprentice under the master necromancer Kadol himself. He was infamous for his cruelty, for his sick experiments... The stories tell not the details, but within his alchemical laboratory prisoners were subjected to the worst kind of torture: experiments that twisted and malformed their bodies, making them into terrible creatures of the Night!”

“But in that bygone age, the power of the sorcerers was not yet so strong and their forces were stretched thin. The Cobalt Empires managed to free this place from their yoke, make it a place for the living once again. Most of the people of Elderspirals were fortunate: the enemy did not hold the place for many a month. But for some, the harm was already done and their bodies were mutated... Permanently.”

“I know not why the Cobalt Empires eventually abandoned Elderspirals nearly half a century ago... But our glorious kingdom, the Relieved Realms, then under rule of our beloved Begu Lightplaited -- may Rákfil bless her soul! -- reclaimed this site as our own. And that is when I, too, settled here... Perhaps the Cobalt Empires felt its power weaken, perhaps they realized they could not hold to such a vast territory... Maybe that is why they left?”

“The fate of Elderspirals has yet to be decided, I fear. You see, capybara woman, the Cobalt Empires seems to have seen the abandonment of this place as an error. I believe they would very much like to call my home once again their own. But, I trust that my superiors are even now making plans to keep us safe and negotiate with our rival's leadership... Alas, if it were only the Cobalt Empires that desires this place! But no, I have heard worrying rumors that the foul sorcerers of the Prestigious Glazes seek to enslave us and bring darkness upon these beautiful lands once more!”

Cañar stood next to Suwu scratching his trunk as he thought.

“It is horrible,” he spoke, “Horrible what those people have had to endure. What hardships they have gone through, what trials still lay ahead of them... This quest, whether for Lòr, Mestthos or our own sake, is far more important than I would have thought not but a week ago.”

He walked to the stream, looked at its waters.

“It is utterly repellent,” the elephant man turned to address his companions, “The very idea of these wars: death, destruction, chaos -- all the very essence of the Prince. It must be ended. We must have peace. No matter what the cost. We must have peace.”

Suwu stood up, crossing her hands in front of her chest, “And how do you expect us to go on making 'peace'? What is your proposal?”

Cañar turned his eyes to Suwu and took few steps closer, “That is the question, isn't it?”

“You who would have us not raise arms for the sake of 'peace',” Suwu said, “How do you think we could ever put an end to the evil without the spectacle of war? You have had no qualms in putting down the foes we have faced on this journey, nor the ones we faced in Waterlures. Why then hesitate now? Why not do battle to ensure we are victorious and peace prevails?”

“I do not know what to say, Suwu...”, the elephant man averted his eyes, turning once again to look at the stream.

He felt in his heart that what Suwu said would not bring peace, but merely more suffering into this world. Yet somehow, he was unsure.

“Answer me, Cañar,” Suwu continued with a slightly agitated tone, “I require a substantive reply.”

“Suwu, stop,” Cañar sighed, “Stop and reflect. What do think is the driving force behind wars? It is fear. Not understanding others, their intentions. And their fear leads to anger... That anger turns into hate, until it consumes them, and that burning hate... It leads to strife. To war. To suffering.”

“Do you really think that is the case?”, Suwu scoffed, bitterness in her voice, “No, these monsters they do not do this out of fear. What led you to believe in such nonsense? 'Not understanding' -- what rubbish! Do you really think these followers of the Prince, worshippers of death and chaos, are some poor misguided souls who did not intend to do harm?”

Suwu clenched her fists. She was visibly furious. It was unlike of her.

“These sorcerers and their minions, they want the living dead!”, she began to yell at the elephant man, “And how do you think we stopped them in Finderblunts? How do you think we acquired that accursed relic of Evil?”

She pointed at Cañar's backpack, “Why, we stormed their stronghold! We confronted them. We fought them. We slew them. That is the spectacle of war... We waged war upon them, Cañar... And without it, they would have not be weakened.”

She paused to catch her breath before continuing, “And the war we started has only begun. They may have lost one battle, but even now they must be licking their wounds, recovering, waiting for the right moment to lash back... No, this is just the beginning. We have to take this war to the end. To the end where all the sorcerers lie dead, hung from their entrails to the spires of their twisted towers... And only then we may have peace.”

Cañar looked at Suwu silently.

”You know,” the elephant man finally opened his mouth, “I think you are right.”

Maybe peace could only be achieved through war, no matter how abhorrent it was.

Maybe it was the only way.

After the heated exchange the journey towards Fencereined continued. The companions passed another hamlet just north of Elderspirals. They followed the snaking stream running through the Contained Field.

Rin and Ova were a bit unsure what to think of Suwu's and Cañar's argument. But the situation seemed to have calmed now, though Suwu was clearly bitter. Cañar, on the other hand, seemed content and walked silently next to the capybara woman, clearly deep in thought.

As the four walked along the banks of the stream, heavy rain began to fall. It slowed them down somewhat.

Ova looked to the west, shuddering his shoulders, and pointed in the direction, “We best steer clear of that direction.”

“How so?”, Rin asked as he wiped rain water off his forehead.

“There lies Goldoutrage. A shrine from a distant past,” the mandrill man said with a quivering voice, “It is said that when the forces of nature still held sway over these lands, before the rule of the gods was secured, and Icemì Apedives was still strong, a terrible unliving titan composed of bronze erected the shrine... Emepe Scorchedgrand the Superior, a bronze colossus, an undefeatable behemoth bent on destruction and at one with war, strength and the very metals of our world.”

Rin felt a shudder. He had heard the legends. When such a monstrosity went on a rampage, even the strongest of walls were laid to dust and entire armies were obliterated.

He did not feel so curious any longer.

Night began to fall when they passed a monastery and saw a town in the horizon.

They were fairly certain that they would find it too in ruins, like so many of the towns they had encountered. Yet, perhaps they might find shelter there for the night. They did not feel so keen of sleeping under the open sky when there was a heavy downpour.

And sure enough, the town appeared to be abandoned.

Walking past prickle berry fields on a weeded cobbled road they peeked into the empty buildings. Dust and cobwebs was that mostly saw, but in one house they found some clothing. They were just the right size for Suwu, so she put on a cape made from the pelt of a cheetah and a skirt made of the skin of jaguar.

But when they entered a house with a sign reading 'The Safe Sourness' and an image of a tankard they were almost caught off-guard.

The tavern was certainly not 'safe', but it could very well turn to be sour: a human, or what remained of him, lumbered towards them. His limbs were all twisted unnaturally, as if the bones had been broken; his body was full of gaping open wounds that bled not no more, and his
tattered clothing was caked with dried blood.

And in his hand he wielded a wicked-looking scourge with copper barbs.

Suwu braced herself.

Before Suwu could open her mouth, the plague thrall was upon her: it moved with unimaginable speed!

It lashed with the scourge, narrowly missing Suwu, who retaliated with a slash, cutting the monster in the neck.

...But to little effect.

The others were still rushing in as Suwu did fierce battle with the thrall. It was nimble and fast, easily parrying Suwu's blows, but so was Suwu, too, and she managed to dodge the barbs of the scourge.

Ova rushed in yelling, charging at the ferocious abomination, colliding with it and making them both fall down.

It may have bought the others time to reach the fight...

...But before it, the thrall lashed at the mandrill man, the scourge's barbs tearing through his trousers, cutting into the muscle viciously.

Ova fell over.

It was, however, enough to turn the tide, giving Suwu an opening to severe the thrall's leg and Cañar to bash it with a heavy blow, which in turn made it possible for Rin to cut off one of its hands.

And then it only took a precise strike from Suwu's blade to decapitate the twisted being that once was a living human.

“We best leave this place!”, Suwu looked at the others, “If there are more, the four of us can not take on them alone!”

Cañar nodded, extending a hand to Ova, “Can you walk, dear friend?”

“I think I can,” Ova replied, dazed.

He tried to stand up and fell to the ground.

His leg was in no condition for standing nor walking.

The sky had cleared and the stars were out when they made camp. They were unsure where they were exactly -- they had lost sight of the stream in the darkness.

At first Cañar had helped Ova retreat from the town, but soon the pain in the mandrill man's leg eased and he managed to walk on his own. Fortunately, it was not as bad a wound as they first had thought.

But now they were in the wild. They were uncertain what they saw moving between the buildings as they left town, and the same could be said of the villages next to it, but they had not dared to investigate.

For if it was more of those things, those thralls, they would have been in serious trouble.

If taking even one down took all the might of the four and nearly incapacitated one of them, what would've happened if they faced a whole group?

Their confidence was shaken, but it was not necessarily such a bad thing.

4th of Granite, 371

In the morning the final stretch of their journey to Fencereined began -- or so they hoped.

Leaving the possibly overrun hamlets behind, they saw the peaks of the Mountain of Combat in the western horizon: they were close now.

They only had to get over the mountains and they would be there.

At their destination, at Fencereined.

Where they believed all would be made clear and the final leg of their quest could begin.

A valley with a brook going through the mountain range eased their way. They did not have to face the full danger of the mountains: the cliffs, deep chasms and landslides, nor what manner of foul beasts might lurk in caves and nooks.

All they saw in the valley were small herds of ponies grazing on the fescue grass, and groups of hoary marmots going about their burrowing business -- industrious creatures, not unlike dwarves.

Tailing behind the rest of the party was Rin.

He was feeling nervous and anxious. He was still a bit shaken and afraid after the encounter with the plague thrall. The others had not noticed it, but before the abomination attacked them, it was crouched upon a body. A body of an elf -- or at least what remained of it looked like one. And it was feeding. Eating. The flesh of the dead elf.

And in his gut Rin felt this monster, this thrall, it was something either created by the sinister magicks of the necromancers or the doings of the Dark Gods...

'RIN,' Rin felt his heart pounce as the voice spoke once again in his mind. Bazsa. Bazsa the Sinful.

'What do you want?', Rin closed his eyes as walked slowly forward, 'Why don't you leave me be? Leave me alone.'

'RIN. YOU ARE CLOSE. I AM WATCHING,' Bazsa's voice reverbated in his head, 'YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. WHO TO FIND. WE ARE WAITING.'

'But... How do you suppose I can do what you require?', Rin asked, 'I can not just take the slabs from Cañar without him noticing... They'll stop me. Question me. And if need be... Kill me.'

'WHATEVER IT TAKES, RIN. WHATEVER IT TAKES,' the voice said in such a tone that there was no arguing, 'I AM WATCHING AND YOU WILL NOT FAIL ME, SLAVE.'

Rin straightened his composure, swallowed and replied in his mind, 'Yes, I will not fail you... My Master.'

As they neared Fencereined and the mountains turned into foothills, they encountered many a flock of kea.

“Despicable thief-parrots!”, Rin yelled as he rushed to make short work of one such group.

From the amount of these green-feathered parrot-kin in the area, it was evident they were close to dwarf lands. It was one of the more curious workings of Ôsed -- though some said it was rather the work of the Prince herself -- that these creatures tended to flock where the bearded ones lived, causing all manner of havoc, disrupting important work and stealing priceless artifacts. Even the youngest of the stone-dwellers knew to be wary when they heard the fluttering of wings -- for it could very well mean that one of the demon-birds was close by with depraved, sinister intentions in its twisted, demonic mind!

Some distance away from the encounters with the kea, the party saw signs of civilization: a sand road leading towards what they presumed to be Fencereined.

They walked along the road, crossing a bridge that went over the shallow brook and stepped onto a road of smooth shale. Clearly, it had been shapen by dwarven hands centuries ago. Despite its apparent age, there was not much sign of weathering.

The companions felt a sense of relief and excitement in their souls, and all sorts of thoughts and questions raced in their minds with each step they took closer to the fortress of old.

But as they climbed up the last of the slopes awaiting to see the walls of a mighty fortress, they were surprised:

On top of the hill was only a town of tents and a group of elves strolling about, many with books in hand, apparently caught in heated debates of the academic kind.

They had arrived at Fencereined.

A mighty tent village occupied by elven scholars.

=====

A slighty longer update.

Wanted to get all the way to Fencereined and there happened some stuff on the way, which I didn't want to cut out (also felt like there was need for some discussions between the group before arrival).

Also, I guess I'll need to do quite some Legends digging for the next update, so I'm uncertain if I'll get an update up tomorrow.

Anyways, I think we're nearing some kind of "conclusion" or closing chapter of the quest. (There's of course lots of stuff still ahead of our heroes if they want to put an end to the necromancers and bring "peace".)

Getting more and more excited of this world. Still don't have any clear picture of what the hell is going on, but I think that's better for the adventure so I don't go all meta-gaming subconsciously...

Yeah, that's it for now.

Spoiler: mild spoiler (click to show/hide)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2022, 09:07:51 pm »

Great update, another giant folk felled. The world will truly be safer.

Drunken scholar

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2022, 05:26:40 am »

I don't see why they don't call themselves giant slayers, given how many they've killed.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2022, 10:29:06 am »

I don't see why they don't call themselves giant slayers, given how many they've killed.

I was just thinking this yesterday while playing, lol.

I don't know if they'd do that in the current moment, tho... Well, maybe Rin the goblin might think of something like that (iirc, he likes to present himself boldly).

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2022, 02:56:43 pm »

Giant folk are gonna go extinct for sure

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 11, 2022, 04:31:45 pm »

Giant folk are gonna go extinct for sure

Not anytime soon. With a quick look there's over fifty of the original giant-kin still alive and kicking. And that's not counting any of their possible offspring, so there might be a very, very large amount of them around.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 11, 2022, 04:34:23 pm »

Well at the rate of their deaths in sure they will especially how they throw themselves at Waterlures. But yeah still alot of them didn't realise there were this many.

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 11, 2022, 06:24:49 pm »

But yeah still alot of them didn't realise there were this many.

Just checked the worldgen parameters:

[MEGABEAST_CAP:24]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:88]

So, yeah, I seem to have increased the amounts quite a bit, lol.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 11, 2022, 08:45:00 pm »

Part XVIII:
Within the Walls

4th of Granite, 371

The tall silver-haired elf looked at the odd group of travelers in front her: a capybara woman, a mandrill man, a hulking elephant man and a goblin. All armed and clearly formidable warriors who had seen battle from the looks of them.

“Fencereined?”, she replied to the question asked by the capybara woman, “Why yes, certainly. You are at Fencereined.” Such an odd thing to ask. Clearly these ones were clueless of where they were -- or perhaps they were daft? Had they walked past the walls of Fencereined proper or why were they pestering her with these silly, trivial questions?

“Really?”, the capybara woman who had introduced herself as Suwu said with a hint of surprise in her voice, “But I thought this was supposed to be a place of legend, a fortress from a bygone age built by dwarves... All I see is a village of tents.”

“Ah-ha-ha, you're funny!”, the elf laughed, but when she noticed the stern expressions on the faces of the travelers her smile faded. No, they were not joking. They were clueless.

“I'm sorry, you must be new here,” she continued and cleared her throat, “No, this is but merely a camp. What you're looking for is there -- over there, carefully built in that crevice between those slopes.”

The elf pointed to the south and east.

And indeed, as they walked but a short distance south, there they saw the fortress proper: sturdy stone walls rose between the natural formations of rock. Something one could easily miss if not paying close attention -- surely the dwarves of old knew how to hide their homes in plain sight.

“...But be wary and mindful when you enter! Things are a bit, ah, in flux at the moment!”, the elf added from behind.

As the companions walked down the hill and headed for what looked like the entry to Fencereined, they heard a voice from behind.

“Greetings travelers,” the voice said, “I am Ecu Sweetnesshand, and this child of Icemì Apedives welcomes you with open arms. May I be of help?”

Suwu turned to look back: an elf. Another silver-haired elf with pale brown skin and strikingly brightly colored eyes. She had a somewhat hooked nose and quite long eyelashes that one couldn't miss as she blinked once in a while. The flowing dress and coat -- not to mention the quire in her hands -- clearly marked her as one of the scholars.

“Why certainly,” Suwu replied, bowing her head slightly, “I am Suwu Cleanmusics the Confusing Smokes. And these are my traveling companions. We have traveled a long distance, far from the south into these war-torn lands to seek guidance and answers.”

“Ah yes, war... It may be sometimes a necessity, but one must always, always value peace. When we have it, we must truly treasure it,” the elf said, her thoughts visibly racing to ponder philosophical topics.

“I agree,” Suwu nodded in agreement, but more due to courtesy than actually being on the same page.

“Yes, we may have some form of peace now,” the elf began, not paying much attention to who she was speaking to -- it was more as if she rambled her thoughts aloud -- and continued, “Oh, were it not for Queca, things might have turned different in Fencereined... The War of Hatchets, yes...”

The elf paused as she began to rummage through the pages of her quire, “Now where is it... Ah, yes, here! Etosp Ëb, 'the Siege of Vandals'! It happened nearly half a century ago. Oh those fools, those evil fools of the Sprayed Dungeons! How they thought they could march here under the banner of their master and bend us to their will, to enslave us... Hah!”

She waved a piece of parchment at Suwu and the others. It had some crudely sketched maps and numbers on it, but they didn't get a good glimpse of it before Ecu put it back in between the pages of the quire.

“We may have lost many in the battle, but even the enemy's shere numbers could not overwhelm us and defeat our superior advantage: strong, impenetrable walls that have stood and held even against the Trials of Time itself!”

Once again the companions gathered in the inn of a dwarven fortress. The Peach of Tin was the name of the place and the room they were in was quite spacious.

They had not yet entered the deeps of the fortress for there certainly seemed to be odd things going on -- just like the first elf they encountered had warned. They did not know what to make of it all. It would take much effort to understand the situation, which seemed to be very complex indeed, and it did not help that everyone they spoke with had their own opinions and musings on the state of affairs.

However, it mattered not, for the place of knowledge they sought was in the grand entry hall of Fencereined. The Sanctuary of Geniuses, the library the had heard of from Tekkud and in during their travels, was just next to the inn. And it was bustling with scholarly types of all sorts: elves, dwarves, humans and even a bunch of gorlaks!

“Say, Ova,” Suwu turned to the mandrill man who was lost in thought, “You are from these lands, aren't you? This is Múya Loré territory, isn't it?”

“Humh?”, Ova blinked, his attention returning to his surroundings, “Yes? No? I'm not sure...”

“Well, you must have heard of Fencereined before,” Suwu said with wide eyes, “This does seem to be quite an extraordinary place, something one could not be unaware of.”

The mandrill man looked at Suwu in silence.

“Indeed,” Cañar joined in, “Why not share what you have heard? Maybe it will help us understand this... This mighty peculiar situation where Fencereined seems to be in.”

“I honestly do not know,” Ova answered finally, “All this time I have been wondering about this. Why I haven't heard of such a place. But, truth be told, it is a long time since I lived in 'these lands' -- these far-reaching lands. Elf lands are not like those of dwarves or humans. No, this isn't a kingdom with a central figure -- king, law-giver, master -- keeping tight control...”

The mandrill man stood up, sighed and stretched his arms to the sides before continuing, “I am born near the coast, not exactly in elf lands, but in the wilds falling under the protection of the Typhoon of Lusters...”

“...And under a blossoming cherry tree,” Suwu finished the sentence. She remembered that discussion she had with Ova so many years ago.

“Yes,” Ova smiled, “I was never one to care for the world around when young. Not until I met Fayoba and we traveled to Waterlures, that is. So, it is no wonder I have not heard of this place... Or perhaps I have heard, but thought of it as of no consequence in that moment? Regardless, I have been thinking...”

“Go on,” Cañar said.

“Well, I believe the Whirling Viper -- said to be part of Múya Loré -- is a group acting of their own accord. Something not sanctioned by the Druid Ceca Saffroncrests. Perhaps a group of renegades? Or perhaps just mere scholars who have thought the pursuit of knowledge more important than following the guiding hand of the Druid?”

“What about the cyclops?”, Suwu asked the others.

They had been discussing now for some time how they should proceed. It did not feel like a wise decision to immediately ask around on how to destroy artifacts of otherworldly origin, or especially mention that they carried with them two slabs containing unimaginable Evil and Power.

No, it was best they first gain the trust of these scholars and at the same time learn more about them. To learn who to trust and who to not.

“Well,” Ova was the first to answer, “Rin did mention we are famous giant slayers...”

“But she did not believe me!”, the goblin scoffed grouchily.

“What did you expect?”, Ova chuckled, “That they'd just take your word for it? You know better than that.”

“We have plenty of experience of confronting giant-kind,” Cañar interjected, returning to Suwu's question, “But the lair of the cyclops... It is far, far to the southeast. Nearly the same distance as we traveled from the tower to this place.”

The others nodded and mumbled in agreement.

“No,” the elephant man continued, “I believe our best option would be to go investigate the rumors of horrible going-ons in Trialdungeons. If what the elf said is true, it is but a short distance from here. We might make it in a couple of days there and back again.”

“Perhaps...”, Suwu said rubbing her chin, and once again realizing she missed one finger, “It would certainly be in line with Lòr's quest--”

Our quest,” Cañar corrected.

“Yes, our quest,” Suwu smiled, “And surely those who would like to see Trialdungeons rid of Evil, would be glad to offer their hand in helping to banish an even greater Evil from this world?”

“M-hm,” Cañar nodded, “What say you Rin and Ova?”

Rin pretended to rummage through his backpack and adjust his mail as the others went through their belongings, preparing for yet another adventure. They had decided that they would head to Trialdungeons and investigate the troubles brewing there. And hopefully take care of it.

The others kept discussing about what might be going on here in Fencereined: from what they understood there were great changes happening. Who ruled this place at the moment was a question that remained unanswered. Rumors of a beast from a distant past, now returned -- the deep halls of the fortress made dangerous. That is why most of the scholars stayed in the tents.

Or so they said. If it was so, why wasn't the entry into the deeps sealed? Why did so many enter the depths and returned to the surface unscathed?

No, clearly there was something else going on.

Then there was that curious 'scholarly war' between the Whirling Viper and the Stormy Dagger of the Bent Spears. Books being stolen or copied. Both from the elves of Fencereined and from the dwarves of Controlledseal.

But that was not on Rin's mind, no.

For after they had spoken with Ecu the scholar, a woman with a hooked nose and neatly combed white hair had approached Suwu. The sight of the woman had made Rin's heart race: she felt familiar. Somehow.

And that look in her eyes... That icy stare -- she clearly knew things beyond the understanding of mere mortals.

When she had introduced herself to Suwu, Rin had felt something clutch his heart.

It was Zom. The Sacred Dust.

The one who Bazsa the Sinful had commanded Rin to find. And she openly said who she worshipped. There was no restraint nor hesitation in her voice.

And she had glanced at Rin. Maybe she knew?

Zom told them of an artifact, a holy -- or unholy? -- relic, that had been stolen from the Creed of Skulls. A religious sect worshipping Bazsa the Sinful. And Ghoulterrors the God-Forsaken Burial, the relic, was rumored to be in Findersummits, a town somewhere far, far to the southeast.

It was probably not something the Sacred Dust actually believed the companions would retrieve. But Rin couldn't shake off the feeling that the words were directed at him.

Was it another quest Bazsa had for him? But no, the dark god of murder and death hadn't spoken to him ever since they reached Fencereined...

“What do think, Rin?”, Suwu asked, startling the goblin.

“Huh?”, Rin replied, almost fumbling fastening his mail, “Think of what?”

“That creepy woman,” Cañar explained, noticing that the goblin hadn't been paying attention. “What do you make of her? The head of that cult worshipping one of the Dark Gods? Who was the first to tell us of something going in the deep?”

“Uh... Nothing?”, the goblin sputtered and shrugged his shoulders, “I guess? Just a priest like any other...”

The others looked at him curiously.

“Well, I mean, their god is clearly not like others...”, he added hastily, “I-I'm just not one to concern myself too much with the workings of the higher -- or darker -- powers.”

Before the others could say anything, he continued, “Naturally this quest of ours is different -- do not fret about that! I am fully committed to see it to the end, to see that the soul of Lòr may rest well knowing that his work was not left unfinished. I owe him that...”

Ova stepped over to Rin and patted his shoulder, “It is good to hear. We must all be as one. It is great to have a friend like you.”

Rin smiled. It felt good to hear such words. It brought him joy. Made him feel worth something.

But deep down, he felt a heavy guilt. A burden that tore his soul.

Eventually he would have to do it... He would have to... Betray his friends.

And he would be remembered as a traitor.

=====

Bit of a, uh, filler episode here.

Couldn't really make head or tails of what the hell is going in Fencereined while perusing Legends. Mighty interesting place (especially the weird book stealing going on for a couple centuries between the dwarves and elves).

For some unwritten reason the place has been just abandoned at the turn of the year or something. Which is weird. And sort of changes my plans. I'd intended to "retire" the adventurers here for a while, but since nobody controls it, that's not possible...

Anyway, managed to get out an update for the day (wasn't so sure of it) and looks like we're heading once more on a necromancer hunt or sumthin'.

It was a weird and creepy moment when I was entering the fortress proper: the sacred dust actually walked to Suwu on their own and greeted us. Again a moment where you're all like "What the hell? How'd the game know?" I mean the whole thing between Rin and Bazsa is just something I've made up... Creepy.

I'll continue to try to make some sense of the whole Fencereined stuff as I go along with the next adventure.

Once again, we'll see where this goes. No idea what the game will throw in front of me next.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2022, 03:44:50 am »

really enjoyed that second to last update! and overall, the Saga of Suwu is proving to be a gripping tale.

posting from Mexico :]

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 12, 2022, 05:52:40 am »

Oh dang the game wants this story to be epic!

You on vacation or something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 12, 2022, 09:54:49 am »

really enjoyed that second to last update! and overall, the Saga of Suwu is proving to be a gripping tale.

Glad to hear it's enjoyable for others too!

Sometimes it feels difficult to put the game down in the evening when you're really wanting to find out what happens next. Wasn't expecting Suwu's and the others' adventure to become this long, and it seems like there's still much to see.

Ooh, have a good time there!

Oh dang the game wants this story to be epic!

Sure seems that way.

Or could be that DF is just deceiving us and in the end we just get a big flop.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 12, 2022, 09:18:57 pm »

Part XIX:
The Toad and the Furnace

4th of Granite, 371

The day was still young as the companions walked through the tent camp next to Fencereined. It was not but a few hours when they arrived there, and they were already on their way to head for another adventure.

“Couldn't we have at least rested for a day?”, Rin complained, “It's not like we are in a rush or anything.”

As their map wasn't a particularly accurate one, the four decided to first follow the foothills of the mountains to the west, which would eventually turn north and point them in a rather straight line to the right direction.

They were not much of orienteers, but so far they had not lost their way.

Perhaps it was mere beginner's luck, perhaps guidance from the gods?

They did not get far before noticing something curious in the distance: walls of what appeared to be a fortress of dwarven make rose in the middle of the open hilly region.

“Another one?”, Suwu said, slightly surprised. They had not heard any word of a second fortress located only a short distance from Fencereined.

“It looks awfully quiet,” Cañar spoke, “And the grass bears no marks of recent travel... It might be abandoned.”

Curiosity got the better of them and so they headed in to investigate.

The entry hall was otherwise empty except for what remained of a trade depot. The ware tables were still full of clothing and other articles ready for trade.

Rin immediately swooped in to rummage through the items, throwing clothing here and there. “Surely nobody will mind -- better put these to use than leave them to rot here,” he explained to the others as he put on a fancy pig tail cloak decorated with giant bat teeth and a hood encrusted with quartzite cabochons.

Against their better judgment, they decided to head down the winding passage encircling the central shaft, heading into the dark deeps...

The pit continued deeper than Suwu could see in the little light they had.

“Watch your step,” she said to the others, “I can't see to the bottom -- one wrong step and you'll fall to your death.”

But it was no bottomless chasm, no.

They came to a shrine. The passage continued downwards and this was merely one of those places of worship dwarves tended to build along the way -- after all, going up and down many times a day takes quite the amount of time, and one needs to be able to say their prayers before day's end.

Curiously the electrum statue in the shrine was of a human and appeared to depict a scene where that human was elevated to some religious position. Once again, it looked like something related to the Order of Harvesters.

“Humans?”, Rin said as he eyed the statue and examined the eight-sided long die on the altar.

“Perhaps we'll find out more deeper down,” Cañar said. He wondered why a shrine dedicated to a human god was the first one on the way down.

Deeper down a walkway ran around the shaft and a passage led into the halls of the fortress. The air was musty and heavy here, dust and rubble strewn on the smooth floors.

Suwu looked into the passage, but it was dark -- she could see only what lay a few yards from her.

“I do not think we should go further,” Ova spoke. The cramped halls, darkness and smell of cave air made him feel uneasy. The others seemed to hesitate, too, and he continued, “If the deeps of Fencereined has a beast lurking in them, then it is entirely possible that this place, too, has been abandoned for such a reason...”

“I agree with Ova,” Rin said, “We should continue on our way to Trialdungeons.”

“Yes, I won't argue with that,” Suwu said as she tried to peer into the dark, “We should concentrate on our main task first... We can come after it to take a closer look at this place, perhaps?”

“Or ask about it in Fencereined,” Cañar added, “Once we return there.”

And so they headed back up and left the abandoned fortress.

It was a mystery that could wait for another time.

From the northern tip of the mountain range they followed a brook, which eventually widened to a stream, following it into the Dipped Hills.

Not far from the mountains they saw a fort of some kind in the west. But it could not be the one they were headed for.

No, Trialdungeons was further to the north. This was some other place. They decided to go around it -- they could always take a closer look once they returned.

But before they reached their destination, night began to fall.

It was time to set camp next to the stream. If the rumors of the foul deeds being committed in Trialdungeons were true, it was for the best not to head there in the dark when the Night was the strongest.

So they made camp under the shade of fruit trees. And before they lay their heads to rest, Suwu recounted tales of 'Baroness' Kasat and how she time and again proved to be a wise and just leader.

5th of Granite, 371

The night was a restless one and sleep was interrupted several times.

Feral packs of dog-like creatures with coarse spotted fur and short tails -- hyenas, Ova had explained -- attacked them. They were no match for the four, but several pieces of clothing were torn to shreds during the scuffle. Other than that, there was not even a single bruise.

Meat, however, was now plentiful and filled their packs.

So the journey continued as the sun rose in the east.

It was still early morning when they saw a structure in the distance to the north and west.

It had to be Trialdungeons, if the elf scholar's markings on the map were to be trusted.

The companions approached the walls of the fort from the east, walking through a forest full of fruit trees.

The walls were low and made of wood -- lower than the walls of Waterlures. They were enough to keep predators and other wildlife at bay, but in case of an invasion the walls would hardly make any difference.

Guard towers were spaced evenly along the ramparts. Yet there were no lookouts in sight, and no noise was heard from beyond the walls.

It began to rain.

As they crept around the walls in search of the gates, they rose up a small slope. Ahead of them they saw trenches dug into the dirt snaking here and there, from the walls to towers built away from the main fort.

“Goblins,” Rin whispered, “The same kind of ditches as in the pits.”

They went round the whole fort, checking that the outlying towers were empty, and finally came to the gates on the north side.

They had just heard some noise from within. They expected not to enter an abandoned place this time.

Suwu stepped towards the gates, sword ready at her side.

There were no guards at the gate, and the courtyard looked empty.

Right next to them, however, was a low building -- maybe a barracks -- and from there they heard sounds of life.

Or whatever awaited them inside.

Inside, a goblin!

She had an extremely long nose, her skin was moss green and her eyes the typical red of goblin. She wore a silk hat and atop it a disgusting headband that looked like it was made from the nails of her kin. Maroon short hair, neatly combed, could be seen from under the cap.

She turned to look at the capybara woman who entered, straightening her robes made from cheetah fur.

“Goblin!”, Suwu began, “I am Suwu Cleanmusics the Confusing Smokes.”

“Ah, a capybara woman,” the goblin replied with a honeyed voice, “How quaint. I am Kutsmob Watchfulevils... And you are -- AN INTRUDER!” She finished her sentence in a loud yell, her disposition shifting immediately from welcoming to an aggressive one.

Ova was at the ready. As he noticed the goblin's facial expression change he charged in, bringing his hammer down with a whack on the goblin's shoulder.

“So you wish to do battle!”, he yelled, “Let us fight then!”

The goblin turned to run away, but Suwu intercepted her and slashed: the goblin fell to the ground as her leg was severed.

Rin, too, charged in and was the one to put the goblin down with a devastating stab into her lower back, which cut through vital organs and spine alike.

They heard yelling from the courtyard after the quick scuffle and ran outside prepared.

What they saw was a tall, very fat goblin yelling and screaming, and when she saw the companions four weapons in hand, she began to run.

Suwu gave chase and began to gain on her at the edge of the courtyard.

Up the tower the goblin ran, Suwu hot on her heels.

And it was a mistake from the goblin for she had led herself into a place with no escape.

Suwu moved in...

...And with an incredibly powerful swing, Suwu cleaved the goblin in half, the upper half falling to one side and the lower to the other, innards spilling with a sickening splash onto the tower.

She returned down, carrying the goblin's head in her hand as proof.

“That one is dead. It is done,” she said to the others with a hint of grim satisfaction in her voice.

They scoured through the rest of the fort, but there were no other goblins to be found.

Their work in Trialdungeons was complete, and it had been a simple task.

“Our work here is done,” Suwu said as they stepped out the gates, preparing to return to Fencereined.

“It is indeed,” Cañar replied, “Not much of an effort. The poor goblins stood no chance. Clearly, whatever foul deeds have been happening here, have either ceased or were but mere rumors... This was not what I expected. Perhaps we made a mistake? What if these ones were not part of the evil ravaging these lands?”

“But they did attack us,” Ova hopped in, “They were the first ones to act...” There was hesitation in his voice. No, he was the first to strike. He hit the goblin before she even drew a weapon.

“Hah,” Rin scoffed from behind, spitting on the ground, “Once again, we did invade their homes. But still, I highly doubt they had any good intentions. Did you see their clothing? How they were dressed? Some of those furs and skins were from trolls. Yes, trolls. Barely intelligent, horrible brutes. Slaves of my kin who live under Darkness.”

The others muttered and nodded, as if to confirm that what they had done was right. To ease their conscience.

“Right or not,” Rin continued, “It is done. These ones will not be a threat any longer.”

'If they ever were,' he thought, looking back at the walls of Trialdungeons.

And so they began to make their way back south to Fencereined.

The sun was high in the western sky, barely shining through the dark gray rain clouds, when the companions stopped to eat.

It was a beautiful location despite the downpour: a waterfall plunged down into a pool that had formed in the confluence of several streams. Several hippos could be seen bathing down there. These were familiar creatures to denizens of Waterlures: though not native to the Lakes of Saturninity, the witch-doctor Yawo used to have hippos as pets.

They were creatures she had been very fond of. “I like them. They get angry. Irritated. Enraged. Very easily. Just like old Yawo here,” she had once said.

Suwu smiled when she thought of the grumpy mandrill woman. She missed her, even though Yawo could be quite the nuisance on a bad day.

“Say,” Suwu began as she chewed on hyena meat, “What about the fortress? This venture to Trialdungeons barely wore us down. How about we go take a look?”

“Sure, why not?”, Rin replied, “I'm up for it. Who knows what treasures lay hidden there?”

There was still plenty of daylight left when they saw the walls of the old fortress in the south.

With luck, they might be able to explore it and return east to Fencereined before night fell.

Side by side they stood glaring into the dark passage ahead of them. A faint wind from the surface blew down the shaft and whispered ominously in their ears, stirring the dank underground air.

It was not a pleasant smell in the nose of a surface-dweller.

'How do the dwarves manage?', Ova thought. How could the bearded ones live in such closed quarters? With the walls so close, almost as if crushing the air out of one's lungs, the open sky so far away?

As they walked down a wider twisting corridor with Suwu in the lead, Rin and Ova who 'guarded' the rear were caught in a discussion.

“There is two less evil-doers in the Enchanted Dimensions now,” Ova said to Rin, “Those two goblins lay dead now. We did the right thing.”

“Maybe,” Rin shrugged his shoulders, “But do you think Ova that all us goblins are evil?”

“Huh, no?”, Ova was a bit startled by the question, “No. Of course not. Why, look at you -- you are my friend, goblin.”

“Then how do you know who is evil?”, Rin replied with a coy smile, “The elves of Múya Loré have not cared about that in the past. When they attacked Thiefpacked many decades ago, they did not ask who was evil and who was not -- they just slew. Many of the goblins living in that dark fortress were certainly not evil... And they were killed. Slaughtered.”

“I-I can not speak for the actions of the elves...”

“No, indeed you can not,” Rin continued, “They were just as much victims -- maybe even more so -- of the darkness living there as any of the free peoples of Minbazkar. And they had to flee. Seek refuge.”

Rin paused for a moment.

“Ova, they were killed because they were goblins. Not because they were evil,” he continued, “And wouldn't you consider that act of killing in itself evil?”

Ova went silent and into his thoughts.

He hoped the ones they had slain in Trialdungeons were of the evil kind.

For what seemed like hours the companions scoured the halls of the fortress in ruins.

Seeming endless maze-like passages -- some wide, some narrow -- wound around the level, doors leading to other hallways or small rooms, which still contained the personal items of previous residents.

How long these halls had been abandoned, the companions could not say.

“We've searched this floor,” Suwu said, “Looked through each and every room -- some probably twice. Nothing.”

“Down then?”, Rin asked, pointing at the hatch at the end of the wide hall.

“Aye,” Cañar replied as he slung his hammer onto his back, “We've come this far. Might just as well see what lies below.”

“It'll be more of the same, I suppose,” Suwu spoke as she looked at the hatch, “But we should take a look regardless.”

But it was not the same down there.

The hallways were wider, the doors led not into personal chambers of dwarves. No, they led into large rooms -- so large they could not see the end of them in the dark. Grand halls with columns and statues. Places where dwarves had once labored industriously.

“Forges,” Suwu stated the obvious as she looked at the row of smithies, “I wonder what kind of masterful weapons and crafts the bearded ones used to create here?”

Forge after forge they found.

But the statues there were disturbing: some depicted humanoids, maybe the size of a dwarf or smaller, with the legs of a goat. One could mistake them for satyrs were it not for one detail -- their heads were replaced with the skulls of goats.

What had driven the dwarves to decorate their halls with such foreboding sculptures?

As they delved deeper into the halls, Ova felt a shiver.

An ominous feeling began to creep in. There was something... Off-putting in this place.

'Begone fear,' he said to himself in his mind, trying to muster his courage to continue forward with the others.

“A little bit more,” Suwu whispered noticing Ova shifting uneasily, “Then we'll return to the sun.”

Another door.

'Probably more forges,' Suwu thought. So far all the rooms they had visited on this level had been filled with forges -- anvils, furnaces, hammers, tongs and other tools of the trade.

“I'll go first,” she said to the others as she went for the door, sword in hand -- just in case.

And it was good thing she had the sword ready.

For in front of her was an enormous monster, shaped like a toad, squirming and fidgeting in the grand forge hall unnervingly. On its back it had a shell and it had three bulging eyes. Thick spittle dripped down from its mouth.

A beast of an ancient and forgotten kind!

The beast croaked and spit a glob at Suwu, who ducked and slashed the creature in its stomach.

It didn't cut as deep as she had hoped for.

The forgotten beast charged at Suwu, but she dodged it easily.

It continued that way for a while: Suwu dodging, then slashing. Sometimes she hit, sometimes not.

The others had not yet come to her aid. What was taking them so long? They were just behind!

But even a dodger as great as Suwu can not always get out of the way.

She was knocked onto a forge's furnace as the monster charged her once again. Fortunately the fires had long since died.

Ash and soot, however, billowed in a cloud from the impact.

Finally the others arrived as Cañar's hammer came down on the left front leg of the beast.

“You had me worried there for a moment!֨”, Suwu yelled.

Barely any time had gone since the fight began, but for Suwu it had felt like minutes being alone there, facing the behemoth.

But Rin and Ova were still not in sight.

It mattered not, for Suwu and Cañar had no time to think of it as they dodged and blocked blow after blow, striking back with blade and hammer.

The monster let out a guttural roar -- it was visibly enraged by the two creatures that had disturbed its rest!

Just as Ova arrived he saw Suwu leap towards the neck of the gigantic toad-monster with sword up high.

It struck true, cut deeply, deeper than one could possibly imagine such a small capybara woman can slice -- and the head of the forgotten beast was severed from the rest of the body.

The body slumped to the ground with a wet sound.

Suwu was surprised. So was Cañar. As well as Ova.

And even Rin was when he finally came to the scene.

Suwu looked at her sword.

Her trusty short sword of steel. It had served her well on this quest. Been her saviour many a time.

“You deserve a name,” she whispered to the blade, “Just like the dwarves do with their weapons...”

She noticed her clothes covered in soot. She wiped them first before thinking on a name.

At that moment it struck her -- what she would call her blade.

“Sarveshsazir...”, she said, “Furnacebridged.”

=====

Trialdungeons was a bit of bummer... Fortunately I saved the dungeon crawl for the latter half.

I wasn't exactly sure if there'd be a forgotten beast, but I'd noticed from Legends that the Mighty Ships had lost several forts due to the beasties... So, I was at least somewhat aware that one might lurk there.

I think I'll probably do one or two updates before putting our heroes to do some "downtime" somewhere near Fencereined. Assuming I find a good spot in the story for it.

Then the game would be up for grabs, but only for some Adventure mode stuff. (Don't want too much time passing in Waterlures and I won't go through the unretire hassle while Suwu & co are still adventuring... Also, too much time would mess up what the heroes are up to and where they are.)

Sort of starting to feel like I'm needing at least a few days to a week break -- been playing about three weeks daily now, I think?

But we'll see what happens tomorrow.

(...Oh, and the title of this update isn't a reference to Toady working with his computer -- just in case somebody thought that! I certainly didn't!)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49