Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 80150 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2022, 06:30:28 am »

wow. this place is awesome. I lost it when I found the beautiful underground lake cavern full of grizzly bears. sorry, who made this thing? I must have missed that part of the history lol

I would be guilty of that and AvolitionBrit added to it. Didn't really mention it (except something along the lines of a 'secret project' and screenshots showing it). Got lucky with a caravan bringing a breeding pair of grizzlies (tho, I think the male died of old age already), so the bears made a fun addition. Wasn't exactly planned.

It's sort of a thing I tend to do in many forts. Artificial caves are nice, plus an "unobtrusive" way to get needed stone.

Been trying to design the place so that it'd be interesting to visit in Adventure Mode. Quite happy on how it's turning out currently.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2022, 08:46:06 pm »

some progress was made. update tomorrow.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2022, 09:12:33 pm »

Waiting to hear what's been happening in the (hopefully still) peaceful capy village!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2022, 01:37:25 pm »

Life on the lake is . . cold. wet. the fur gets musty, and time must be taken to clean out the grooves behind one's ears.

the newest project is that of an outdoor garden, replete with statue and pedestal, set up on the northeastern ridgeline amongst the fruit and ash trees. the site:

A wall was punched out in the new inn building, and a stone pathway set into the hillside, meandering north into the forest. Finally, an area was designated and a fence was installed, to keep the deer away from the ornamental shrubbery:

=====================

and then giant keas attacked us and FPS died

work continues. we have a lot of excess wood, but I have plans to use it, so perhaps not so excess after all.

also I noticed we have open pastures, which means animals can escape and this generates constant job spam for the capys. What do you think about a natural pit pasture, maybe with a pond, in the western hillside? would help with kea spam too, since the animals tend to scatter during the annual Kea convention

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2022, 02:34:50 pm »

the newest project is that of an outdoor garden, replete with statue and pedestal, set up on the northeastern ridgeline amongst the fruit and ash trees.

Looking good and an excellent spot!

Also, good thinking on breaching the inn wall. Once exiting and heading for the garden one can take a look at the weirdness of nature in the form of the fungiwood growing under the walnut tree.

and then giant keas attacked us and FPS died

Damn, I hate those bastards! FPS is still otherwise decent, but when these f**ks arrive, holy shit it goes down.

also I noticed we have open pastures, which means animals can escape and this generates constant job spam for the capys. What do you think about a natural pit pasture, maybe with a pond, in the western hillside? would help with kea spam too, since the animals tend to scatter during the annual Kea convention

I approve of this.

It's been on my to-do list for, what, like since you suggested it in the beginning of the fort? I guess I forgot about it or didn't find a good spot. The current pasture is right next to the farmer's workshops so shearing and milking can be done relatively quickly, but yeah, keas scatter the poor little sheepies and others.

I think I planned out a place (and maybe landscaped a bit, don't remember) west of the farmer's shops, somewhere around the archery range and current "barracks". There's this nice open area surrounded by slopes. But it'd be a bit longer way to the farmer shops then.

Another option would be on the flat immediately down the slope to the south of the current pasture.

But you pick a spot which seems most promising. We can of course move the farmer's shops if need be (and repurpose the current building).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2022, 12:32:37 pm »

plans laid for the garden:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the western hill, a circular space was created and will be fenced in. Simply waiting for the grass to grow. . .

===========

shenanigans include:

Avolition created a statue for the garden:

Brewerbob, meanwhile, carved a number of masterpiece stone statues. The garden is looking spectacular.

life is peaceful. those who are not carving statues or installing fencework are busy collecting wood from the forests.

============

The statue garden, completed by early autumn, was now covered in fallen leaves:

pathways:

The new pasture in action:

It is yet to be seen how many animals it can feed.

A cat made a friend:

Five total births in Autumn, I believe. They all popped out around the same time and I kind of lost track.

This brings Waterlures to 44 total members, with 13 of those being children.

====

save here (I went a little over to 5th Granite, my apologies): https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16123

Waterlures is a peaceful place. not much happened, and the only changes I made to the place are seen above. Beyond that, it was a lot of wood hauling to closer stockpiles, which have now been removed, leaving wood accessible but not causing hauling spam.

bonus wintertime statue garden:

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2022, 03:14:57 pm »

Ooh, I very much like that statue garden! Looking really nice and fitting for the place.

(Also, good reminder with the routes: I've completely forgotten to set up some traffic zones.)

Funny how the wombat man 'Bob' has become one of the best masons around. When I made him, my thought was to make a completely useless "chronicler" who doesn't do much else than fish. Guess he was assigned at some point to chug blocks on repeat and became quite the mason.

Those giant mosquitos are fortunately quite harmless. Better have them than those damn giant keas.

Also, that pasture/pen is pretty much in the place where I originally intended it to be (if I understood the location correctly from those screenshots), nice!

44 citizens? 13 kids?

Oh wow, those capies have certainly been busy "cuddling" in the dormitory during winter festivities... But let's not think too much about the details of it. *shudders*

We're nearing 50, so that means several things when we reach it: getting a mayor and possible werebeast attacks. *gulp*

I'll be picking up the save tomorrow and continue the story of the capies and their (still) peaceful lives.

But what about the future of Waterlures as a succession game?

I've been thinking on this now for some time: while I intended this to be a succession game, it's turned out to be mostly me playing and I've more than once dismantled projects of others, which I don't think was a fair move on my part. I have a certain kind of vision of how I'd like Waterlures to look like, but haven't really been able to write it down as building guidelines and such. Never been good at writing my thoughts down in an understandable manner (and not being a native English-speaker doesn't help). Nor do I really believe that strict rules/building guidelines work in succession forts anyway, so...

I guess, what I mean to say is, should I still keep this as a succession game? Has it been too restricting what others can do on their turns or not? And has it been fun at all for you as players?

Or should I change this into more of a single-player game where I'd be putting your ideas/wishes into action?

Regardless, I'll keep this going, one way or the other. Gotten quite attached to the amazing bath-swine.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2022, 10:01:13 pm »

how about you keep doing the awesome journaling you have been, and if you feel the need to take a break and want to open it up just say as much. as you might be aware the succession game population has dwindled in the past few years.

I would be down to take another turn in a week or two IRL.

Oh wow, those capies have certainly been busy "cuddling" in the dormitory during winter festivities... But let's not think too much about the details of it. *shudders*

We're nearing 50, so that means several things when we reach it: getting a mayor and possible werebeast attacks. *gulp*

yeah. lets just say I am heavily invested in the future of waterlures, in the sense I am curious how things might go horribly wrong. its just so peaceful I honestly forgot I was playing DF.

I didn't really furnish the rightmost structure, that might be a good project. Also I feel like we need more space for 'junk' but then again, it is nice to simply not over manufacture things.

here's to another quiet year  :D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2022, 03:12:50 am »

I to am invested in the future of this fort, and I say you run things how you want them to be run.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2022, 08:37:02 am »

how about you keep doing the awesome journaling you have been, and if you feel the need to take a break and want to open it up just say as much. as you might be aware the succession game population has dwindled in the past few years.

I think that's what I'll be doing.

It's a pity that succession games have been in a decline (I think they were already dwindling when I finally registered some years back), but maybe the Steam version will bring some new energy? I hope.

I would be down to take another turn in a week or two IRL.

It's also possible that when you know some certain dates you'd have time and want to play, send a message and I'll end my turn and upload the save before that?

That might keep the game running smoothly without longer breaks. Dunno.

Also, nice to hear folk are invested in this one. I'm a bit surprised how attached I've got to this fort. Been liking the more slow-going pace and peacefulness. So far not many tragedies, but they certainly feel more impactful in a small fort where you "know" most of the citizens.

Anyway, just got the save and will be going through legends before playing.

Hopefully an update coming today or tomorrow.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2022, 02:09:15 pm »

ok. yeah waterlures feels like playing Timberborn or something - idyllic settlement management that DF always manages to sabotage  :D

I do hope more people visit bay12 after the update, but I think in general forums like this one are sort of passe, with the new generations. what I imagine will happen is some kind of alternate hosting site for saving stories of community games will arise. People have tried on reddit, and I think in some other formats, but honestly its a shame. forums like this act as both broadcast medium and historical record - great attributes for the long-form storytelling of a DF succession game!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2022, 06:19:10 pm »

Part I:
Memories

Lòr Drinkbust, the five year old son of Kib and Edu, was fetching new clothes from stores when a tingling sensation crept up his spine, making his fur stand up. He was struck by an odd, otherworldly mood -- something that hadn't happened in Waterlures for quite some time.

He headed out into the spring sleet, making his way to the crafting and masonry area, walking through the narrow tunnel that wound through the dirt. He passed Kumil who was hauling rutile into the stone stores his incredible muscles bulging. Kumil looked at the young very skinny capybara child, noticing the fey glimmer in his eyes.

'The mind thinks best when the world is at rest,' the faun thought to himself. Life in Waterlures certainly had been peaceful and he didn't mind it that way. There was time to think, time to create and time to drink. Yet, there was much toil to be done even in this small village and he had barely had any time to craft anything himself, and what was most worrying, he hadn't been able to pray to Mestthos.

He set the rutile in the stores and looked as little Lòr headed off to gather materials for some peculiar project. Kumil knew that look: Waterlures was sure to get a new artifact soon.

Lòr looked at the figurine on the table cluttered with carving tools, wood chips and scrap cloth. “Bentended the Tusks of Watching! I will call you that. You will remind me of Olon,” said to the ginkgo wood figurine of a cat he had finished.

It was masterfully designed, depicting Olon Oiledclutch the cat curled into a peaceful ball atop a small pedestal encrusted and decorated with black zircon, microcline, oak, plum wood, orthoclase and sheep wool (to top it off, there was also spikes of ginkgo wood, cave spider silk and more black zircons). One could almost think that the cat was asleep, except that if you watched close enough, you would realize that the cat was in an eternal slumber: it was dead. Lòr wasn't born when Olon the cat passed away due to old age in 346, but he had certainly heard tales of the creature.

To honor Olon, he had been driven to depict its passing with the figurine, and he decided to offer it the community as a gift.

Datan was quite satisfied at his work. He'd been spending late spring pressing honey from honeycombs and brewing mead. And now, finally, the mead stores of the Hut of Romancing started to be quite full indeed. Oh, how he would enjoy the moment when his hairy plump friends would come over with their friends to have a drink of his fine mead!

While happy (or at the very least, content) in the way things were going in Waterlures, with children being born, he couldn't but sometimes feel lonely when watching the families of the others. It reminded of his wife (and former spouses) and children. Maybe one day he would get the chance to see them again? But some things cannot be mended...

His eldest son, Atír Constructbrew, would not come back. In the early days of the Savage Conflict, in the year 325, the goblins of the Hell of Miseries had attacked the hillocks of Savagesmith. Dwarves from all walks of life were hastily gathered to the defense. Atír and his mother Catten were among the defenders.

They both had died.

Oh, if Datan would've known beforehand of the war! He would've taken his family with him among one of the expeditions of early 325 that set off to found new settlements. The capybaras had been very fortunate: it was not long after they had left when the war begun.

Datan sighed, wiped a tear from the corner of his eye, and continued his work.

=====

A bit of short one today. Didn't get much further than spring and not much to report there. (I thought I took a gif of Datan while he was brewing, but apparently didn't save it, so also less images. edit. Found the image and added it to the post.)

Current projects: building a couple new houses for the growing population.

Also, a bit more storage space in the warehouse/attic now (added one floor). Made a fenced pasture for poultry at the "underground" farm plots where the nestboxes are. So far the pasture Salmeuk made (I was pleased to see that the fence was made of wood grates) seems to be enough for the grazers, though I'm trying to get a few more sheeps (running out of wool), so might need to expand later.

Continuing tomorrow, but it might also be a shorter session.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2022, 08:25:46 pm »

yeah I never actually thought to use grates but merely emulated what had come before me. its a nice little trick to bring out the farmstead aesthetics so I'm def adding it to my repertoire.

It was masterfully designed, depicting Olon Oiledclutch the cat curled into a peaceful ball atop a small pedestal encrusted and decorated with black zircon, microcline, oak, plum wood, orthoclase and sheep wool (to top it off, there was also spikes of ginkgo wood, cave spider silk and more black zircons). One could almost think that the cat was asleep, except that if you watched close enough, you would realize that the cat was in an eternal slumber: it was dead. Lòr wasn't born when Olon the cat passed away due to old age in 346, but he had certainly heard tales of the creature.

awesome description, that. sometimes artifacts just... hit right.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2022, 05:28:30 pm »

Part II:
Building

While the humans from the Just Union were packing their unsold merchandise, a large flock of giant peach-faced lovebirds circled in the skies. It was nothing unusual here to see them, yet the capybaras managed to often get scared of them when a large shadow suddenly passed over them. It slowed work a bit on the new houses that were being built.

The humans, however, were not at all used to these beasts and began firing their bows at the birds. This scared the birds who began to flutter around in panic, causing the capybaras to be spooked. So it was up to the mandrill man Ove and Cusal the pilgrim -- both part of Suwu's archers -- to deal with the problem.

And indeed: soon one of the feathered beasts crashed down from the skies right next to the trading pavillion.

Peach-faced lovebird would be this seasons specialty on Kib's menu.

Autumn came quickly.

The guild representative Upnal and his guards traipsied around the new garden, admiring the craftscapyship (though, craftswombatship would be a more accurate term) of the statues. The community of Waterlures still didn't want visitors and wanted to keep it that way for the time being. But still, the capybaras didn't mind if some merchants from the caravans stayed for a while after the others left. As long as they let the capybaras work and weren't asking too many questions, it was fine.

Around the 15th of Limestone, the caravan from the Mountainhome arrived: three wagons pulled by horses, water buffalos and reindeer. One of the marksdwarves accompanying the merchants stumbled akwardly when walking down the slopes, which had been turned quite muddy and slippery by the early autumn rain.

The capybaras halted their work and headed to haul goods to the trading pavilion, while 'Baroness' Kasat prepared to meet with the outpost liaison to broker trade deals.

The leaves fell off the trees and the Lakes of Saturnity froze when winter was just around the corner.

Two new buildings had been erected between the fields on the slopes and the house of crafts -- which was also the home of Zuglar and Såkzul and their children (and Kudpa, who so detested higher-ups, had a small room in the same building).

The houses were yet unfurnished, and it hadn't been decided who would be the ones to move in.

However, there were more building projects: stables, with quarters for a stable master, were being built next to the yet-to-be-named-and-opened inn.

One must always have space for the beasts of visitors, of course.

There was still plans for a few additions to the platforms on the lakes, but the capybaras would only build the supports. Winter was the only time when it was possible, and after it was done, the capybaras would gladly head off to spend the rest of winter socializing, praying and drinking.

...Datan the dwarf, of course, was wondering if the baths would get more use and more babies be born.

However, once winter arrived there was still much to do: goods needed to be stored and livestock needed culling.

Winter festivities would be late this year.

And it did not help that another giant leech crept out from the wilds -- possibly from the lake or murky pools.

Suwu had just been at the Fruit of Letters listening to Såkzul recount the tale of how Kumil, the faun and current militia warden, heroically escorted Kasat and the others to Waterlures all the way from Inkedwhims. It wasn't really the true story, but a fabrication of the bookkeeper's imagination: she hadn't even been in the group! Suwu had been, as well as Edu, and they certainly could say the story was a load of bollocks.

Suwu was actually happy that the leech came into play during the story. She had downed her mug, grabbed her bow and rushed out to face the slimy slug with other militia members. But it was not Suwu who put the beast down: it was 'Avo', who bashed the leech's head into pulp with his shield.

Finally, around the halfway of Opal, the capybaras had time to relax.

They all crowded into the Fruit of Letters, the air heavy with the scent of wet capybara fur and sweat. The tame jaguar turned up its nose: it clearly didn't like the cacophony of smells in the room.

While others mingled and chatted downstairs, some of the kids went upstairs to the dormitory to play. Yawo was there, meditating.

It is hard to control. My temper. I have tried, but it is of no use, Yawo pondered reflecting on herself. She seeked guidance from the great forces of Nature, from Icemì Apedives (as the peoples of Múya Loré called it). How could she control her foul temperament when it was so exhilarating arguing with the others? It was one of the things she enjoyed the most in Waterlures: to poke at the fuzzy plump rodents until they got irritated, their hair twitching as they huffed and puffed in anger. Such a pleasing sight!

Yet, it obviously wasn't good to make others grouchy. If only they too would like arguing! What a predicament. What shall I do, Icemì? To argue or not to argue -- that is the question, Yawo thought, absent-mindedly scratching her rump (which had admittedly become quite fat and saggy).

'Zultan' was in high spirits during the winter's festivities. He felt good. Euphoric even. There were friends and acquaintances around, interesting performances and oh, how fine the tables and beds here were! It was something he hadn't paid much attention to earlier, but after feeling a bit apathetic after a talk with one of the citizens of 'higher' rank, his focus had meandered to the furniture. Some of them looked like the paw-work of poor 'Qandale'... (May her soul rest in peace.)

Ah, and yes, there was much time to talk with adorable little ones. It made 'Zultan' feel pride and love. And it was at this moment of happiness when he realized that he had actually grown quite fond of this exceptional steel shield he carried with him. Yes, the plump helmet man had certainly made it feel good in the paw.

=====

That's the end of year 352.

Again, nothing much really happened. Lots of building. Beginning to run out of wood (I think there's over 10k logs used in the buildings, if I remember the stocks screen correct).

No babies were born, which is a pity, but also a relief. I'm beginning to be absolutely terrified what will happen once we reach 50 population. Still being reluctant to make a wall/palisafe before anything nasty happens. There's quite a lot of werebeasts in this world (at least judging by Legends)... But the capies are unaware of that, and they probably wouldn't believe warnings until they witness something awful themselves.

But, about the wood situation.

Not really wanting to chop any of the old trees, and caravans bring only so much, so I've been thinking of "sending" one or two capies to fell trees in the nearby forests (that is, adventure mode time). I've done it in some old forts of mine and it worked alright. The caveat: it'll be a pain in the butt to reassign beds, rebuild chests/cabinets and probably stockpiles need redoing.

So, if I go the adventure mode log route (actually tested retire/unretire and the books don't scatter anymore and there were no new unexpected visitors as "hostiles", yay!), I might just as well additionally do another still undetermined adventure thing.

The question is:

What should the other thing be? More capies? Or something else? Maybe insert some kind of twist of events to shake the peace just a bit?

Ideas welcome.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2022, 06:23:35 pm »

nice update. I mean, considering how painful it is to reassign bedrooms, it wouldn't be misplaced here to simply generate logs with DFhack or whatnot. it's somewhat unrealistic that a heavily forested lakeside would simply run out of trees so I wouldn't see it as cheating.

however, maybe the capys are themselves getting a bit anxious? maybe the diplomat let on a little too much about the beasts roaming the worldscape, and they want to defend themselves. Maybe they seek out a band of fighters to settle here, and defend them. Capable species like elves or dwarves or humans. .
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49