Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 74073 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2022, 03:36:01 am »

Huzza a child has been born!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2022, 05:48:43 pm »

Part VI:
Tazuk Âbir

Likot Languagehame, born to Såkzul Agebronze the bookkeeper and Zuglar Hoursilver the manager. She was born today, which makes her very young indeed. Even at this young an age, it is obvious that she has personally abandoned any attempt at self-control and that the whole idea of such is deeply offensive!

Såkzul was blissful of finally becoming a parent, as was Zuglar - both of their dreams now realized. This is what they came to Waterlures for: to raise a family as far as possible from that tyrant that does not age.

From the journal of Kasat Waxedtiles
12th of Hematite, 334

“The Merchant's Guild representative Upnal Iqualipi from the Just Union arrived with a caravan. He greeted us on behalf of the guild, told news from afar and we made a trade agreement for the next year. There was not much that we needed, but 'Avolition' needs flux for the smelters so that he may began producing small amounts of steel. We are lucky to have the plump helmet man around for he has learned the secrets of the strong dwarven metal. Other than that, I asked them to bring us coal and lumber. We have still plenty of trees, but we dare not cut too many of them, lest we anger the elves. The guild asked from as potash, waterskin and tanned hides. That should be mostly doable, since we have plenty of leather lying around after the cullings of our livestock.”

While Kasat was haggling with the merchants, 'Avolition' headed to the construction site of the new library. The remnants of the ice that had been left behind had melted and filled one third of the cellar. Not enough to swim, but deep enough to prevent any work. So the water had to be pumped away.

The year was rather uneventful: caravans arrived and left while the capybaras kept on working. Progress on the new library was slow and was halted when winter arrived.

But then, during early winter, precisely on the 10th of Moonstone, Såkzul gave birth again: a baby boy!

What better reason to have winter festivities than this!

Led recounted the tale of Axesplatter's fall to the hordes of goblins in 329, a tragic tale of the horrors of war, told in his typical pessimistic tone. Despite the subject, he was satisfied: he felt his story-telling skills were constantly improving.

Though, it is doubtful that anyone noticed the improvement: Cañar hardly paid attention to the tale, for he was mostly interested in talking with Led after it.

Zuglar sang 'the Wispy Warnings and Worries', an example of the Tenebrous Sparkle, using his entire voice range to sing the main melody. 'Bob' simulated the uzo, while Cañar simulated the quabu and Kin simulated the uta.

The arrival of spring heralded a new year of toil and village life. The spirits of the capybaras were lifted by the births and time off, yet there was still much for improvement.

...and with spring came the elven caravan. They had strange, towering animals with long necks and legs as their beasts of burden. Yawo knew to tell that they were called 'giraffes' and they were quite common in the northern wilds and elf lands of the Typhoon of Lusters.

There was not much interesting goods that the elves had to offer, except for some exotic animals, notably a silvery gibbon - Kasat's favourite. Most curiously, the elves had with them a pedestal and an altar made of gems. 'Avolition' enlightened Kasat that the pedestal was carved of an enormous star sapphire while the altar was cut from a star ruby. How the elves had come to possess them, Kasat didn't ask, but she knew that dwarves would be envious of such things.

A deal was struck. Steel equipment from the dwarven caravan in exchange for a silvery gibbon, the pedestal, the altar and some fruit.

Time passed, spring turned to summer. The humans came with their caravan: flux stone and lumber were bought. Ilral, the spinner, acted as broker this time, for Kasat was otherwise occupied: she had decided it was time to get to know 'King Zultan' a little better.

And they had headed off to the recently finished Tazuk Âbir, the Hut of Romancing.

Will they be attracted to each other romantically or are they only interested in being friends?

Only time will tell...

=====

Nothing much really happened in the fort. Been giving the capies plenty of time off for socializing.

We'll see if the pre-honeymoon suite works.

I'll try to finish my turn tomorrow (been going way overtime already).

Just want to get one more thing completed (and hopefully get at least one marriage)...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2022, 04:23:48 pm »

Part VII:
Books and Giant Keas

A flock of giant keas arrived to Waterlures. They pestered the livestock, snatching at them, causing cuts and bruises, while construction work was halted when the keas swooped around the capybaras, scaring them and sending them running for cover.

Kumil, 'Avolition' and Cañar did their best to drive the avian menace away, but alas, the thieving parrots managed to avoid all attempts... until one fool-hardy kea flew into the temporary underground area. There it was cornered and Cañar gave a swift and decisive blow with his war hammer Nethlîlar Emlïd, which Edu had gifted to him (was it Edu's to give is an  different story - it was after all acquired by dubious means from Inkedwhims).

Unfortunately Kumil took some nasty cuts and scratches, which needed tending to. He headed off to Yawo's clinic.

The wounds were not that bad and Yawo managed to heal Kumil with little difficulty.

Meanwhile, 'King Zultan' was still at the Hut of Romancing with Kasat. He was recounting an old, gruesome tale of the cruelty of goblins and their poor victims. Surprisingly, Kasat was interested by the story.

There was no change in their relation - they still were just friends - and when autumn came, Kasat had to attend to other tasks: the caravan from the Mountainhome should soon arrive.

24th of Limestone, 335

“I had a great summer: it was wonderful to get to know 'King Zultan' better. Yet, I am unsure whether he is of the type that I would fancy. I am very fond of him, of course, but when it comes to romancing, he seems a bit... lacking. I doubt I will fall in love with him - in fact, I don't think there's any single one around here with whom I could imagine getting intimate.

In any case, the outpost liaison visited as well as a caravan.

We made a trade deal for the coming year and I requested more lumber and flux stone. That shall have to be enough for 'Avolition'. I'm certain there should be enough to make a large enough batch of steel to equip our defenders. We're not here to build an army. A few well-equipped and trained hands will have to suffice.”

The year was over quickly, and come spring and year 336, the elves arrived once again.

However, trading didn't go exactly as planned. Absentmindedly Kasat had offered a large amount of stone and bone crafts without noticing that among them was a walnut wood scepter.

The elves were shocked and horrified.

They refused to continue trading with the capybaras. And they left, their hearts filled with sorrow and anger.

From the journal of Zefon 'Brewer Bob' Drunkenceilings
19th of Felsite, 336

“A most fascinating sighting in the skies: a flock of cardinal men have been seen flying around and over Waterlures more than once this week. It must be a wonderful feeling to soar through the skies, the fresh wind blowing on your feathered face - truly remarkable. Ah, to have wings and join them! If only my duty didn't lie here, I would join them without hesitation. The open sky around you with the heavens the only limit! Oh, to experience such things!”

One morning during early autumn, Zuglar the manager, after waking up blissful from sleeping in his very good bedroom, was deep in thought. 'If Kasat can remain in her fancy quarters despite not being a true baroness anymore, why shouldn't I also be allowed something special? I am the one responsible for managing the labor here. It is only right that I should have... Hmmm... That I should have a nickel statue in my office!'

He passed Kumil in a passage, looking at the faun who was gleefully carrying items to the stockpiles. 'Why are they fixated on these baubles?' He pondered as he made his way to the plump helmet man's smithy.

'Avolition' upon hearing what Zuglar asked for, nodded, headed to the depot to grab some bars of nickel and to the forge. There was no other use for the few bars they had, and 'Avolition' had nothing better to do, so perhaps this could be considered a late congratulations for becoming a father?

The plump helmet man forged a statue of Abod the Prince of Duty - the deity of chaos, war and death.

Abod was depicted as a female dwarf and she was weeping.

Kasat, eager to find romance, was once again in the Hut of Romancing. This time 'King Zultan' was not with her, but instead Led Winetheaters accompanied her for a long, long late winter date.

Work had finally finished on the large library and the capybaras were having a much deserved break from toil. It was agreed that the latter half of winter and spring would be spent socializing, praying and whatever each wished to do.

On summer's arrival the new House of Knowledge, the library, would be opened to the people of Waterlures.

The year 337 arrived.

Cañar was singing 'Amethysts' in the Fruit of Letters, while 'King Zultan' played an uzo they had bought from the dwarves, Suwu simulated the quabu with her voice and Ilral imitated the uta.

The elven traders were expected to arrive any time now and Ilral would act as broker. Though, the question remained: how offended the elves were from Kasat's mistake to offer them wooden items? Maybe they wouldn't arrive, the pessimists thought, while Ilral - who despised the natural world - thought, 'Well, if that's the case and they get hurt by one measly wooden scepter, then good riddance!'

Summer.

It was time to open the House of Knowledge for the citizens of Waterlures.

The library was built on the Lakes of Saturnity. A long phyllite bridge lined with pillars that had statues atop them led to the main area of the library.

The hall rose several floors up, the north, east and south walls with massive, tall windows made of cut black zircons.

Above the building proper rose a grand spire, its main body composed of phyllite and the top structure - possibly a home for a future scholar - was made of wood.

Below were two large rooms dedicated for studying and sharing knowledge.

And below the studies were several still unfurnished rooms. They were to house visiting scholars and seers once the capybaras deemed it time to open their community for outsiders. For now, the rooms would stay empty.

Yet below that lay a space for making paper, crafting scroll rollers and bookbindings and some storage space. It was still far from finished. There was no hurry to finish the area.

Almost all work on new buildings was finished. Only a new combined granary and brewery were still being built, but it was likely it'd be completed before the end of summer.

Winter was just around the corner. The leaves had turned red and fell onto the frozen ice of the lake.

Work for the year was mostly completed. All the constructions were finished and all that remained was moving goods from old, temporary stockpiles to new storage spaces.

The damned giant keas had been harrassing the denizens of Waterlures since late summer and one of the foul beings was particularyl persistent in tormenting livestock and capybara folk.

It had been wounded earlier by Suwu's arrows, yet it did not give up. It retreated further to tend to its wounds, but remained close-by until in early winter it swooped to snatch at the pet goat of 'Bob', Mistêm.

Finally, after a long chase, Suwu managed to hit one of the keas with her arrows, forcing it to land on the ice. Kumil rushed in, his short sword raised and quickly put an end to the green-feathered miscreant!

Once the kea was slain, the rest of the flock scattered and flew away.

The library proved to be a welcome addition to the settlement: those who didn't feel like mingling in the tavern could indulge themselves in some written words.

Though, most of the writing was not very good.

19th of Granite, 338

“Once again a new year began, and spring's arrival heralded the coming of the elf traders. And once again they did not have much of interest - except for a few more pedestals made from pure gemstones. We traded them for many bundles of sheep and yak wool cloth. We are producing more yarn than we need. It is for the best that we get rid of all excess - if we don't, we'll soon need to bring more storage space. And in that space the goods would lie without use for Ôsed knows how long! And that is something that the Heavenly Rabbit certainly would not approve of!

In any case, what this year will bring with it is, well, a mystery to me. All the necessary work to make things run smoothly appears to be finished. We have a tavern - one of our first buildings. We have a smithy underground - in dwarven fashion. We have wells. We have a mill. Yes, we do not really need it yet, but every proper settlement must have one. There will come a time when we will put it to good use. We have shrines. We have a new brewery and a granary. And now, we have also a library.

All we need now is to grow our humble little hamlet to a lively village. We need more capybara folk to come live among us and raise families.”

=====

Okay, so that's my turn then. Finally.

Sorry for spending way too long on it. Got a bit too carried off with it and was hard to find the "proper" time to end it.

So, attempts to marry the "baroness" to someone haven't been successful, but then again I didn't leave her to socialize with others for that long (and most of the time I used a tavern location instead of just a meeting hall, which I believe slows down their socializing?).

At least we got two babies, which is more than I've ever got before from retired "adventurers".

Speaking of which, @delphonso, you're next. If you don't have time, we can move you down the list.

Also, whoever is next, are you rather interested in continuing the fort or would you like to do an adventurer run (that is, bring more capies to the fort)?

I'll be posting the save tomorrow (with a general overview, if I've got the time).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2022, 04:32:25 am »

“I had a great summer: it was wonderful to get to know 'King Zultan' better. Yet, I am unsure whether he is of the type that I would fancy. I am very fond of him, of course, but when it comes to romancing, he seems a bit... lacking.
Lies and slander! I can assure you that I am great at romancing and have done it many times to many people, you haven't met!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 04:34:11 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2022, 07:52:42 am »

Okay, so a brief overview of Waterlures in year 338.
(Here's the previous overview from 326.)

1. The Smithy:
left wing has a wood furnace, right wing a smelter, in the center the forge and north wing houses 'The Sanctuary of Burns' a shrine dedicated to Abod the Prince of Duty. Currently Waterlures has more than enough of ore and metal bars. Doesn't see much use.
2. Stoneworking:
large stone stockpiles, mason's workshops and crafting workshops. Doesn't see much use unless stone blocks are needed.
3. Edu Sandtick's Fishery:
a second fishery which also has a crafting area and the home of Edu Sandtick.
4. Crafts House Cellar:
bone and wood stockpiles for the crafting workshops above.
5. The Kiln:
a kiln for ceramics. Above it is the ashery and soap maker's, and the house of 'King Zultan' (who is our resident soap maker).
6. The Tailor:
just north of the looms is where the clothes are made. Ilral's home is above the workshop.
7. The Brewery and Granary:
the ground floor contains a still, while the upper levels are where food is stored. Underground are the wine cellars.
8. The House of Knowledge:
the library. Pretty self-explanatory.

Just a view of the "baronial" quarters north of the old temporary living space. The small room in the lower right of the palace is Shebi's room, which is below Delphonso's old quarters.

The walkway along the cliffside and the few houses within it. The one with engraved pillars is the top level of the entry hall of the baronial quarter's.

Here we have the ground floor of the mill, slightly northwest of the main village. The structure is quite tall and atop it is a windmill. There's not much in it yet, and nobody lives there even though there's a bedroom for a miller.

And a Stonesense view of Waterlures:

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2022, 03:19:43 pm »

The current state of affairs:

So, my turn ended in the beginning of summer 338.

We have 19 citizens of whom 13 are capybara folk and then there's a plump helmet man, a faun (essentially a dwarf-sized satyr with male & female castes), an elephant man, a mandrill woman, a wombat man and a badger woman.

So, if we want strange moods, we need at least 7 more moodable citizens. Currently moodable creatures are dwarves and capybara persons (@AvolitionBrit, I removed trances which you had added to them - hope you're fine with it, since I don't want the bath-swine to be combat oriented).

I did some preliminary testing retiring/unretiring and didn't seem to cause issues (as in unexpected new citizens or creatures listed as hostile). So, a valid option to get more capies is to bring more in with adventure mode. Adventure mode might be actually more interesting for the player than running fort mode, since it's pretty much self-sufficient now and there's no need for any new buildings or mining.

There's currently one "hostile" creature on the map: Atkil Shalotokri - an unfortunate side-effect of unretiring. The human can be ignored and is harmless.

Our food stocks are more than enough for many years for this small a fort. There should be no need to make anymore drinks or grow/butcher food. The livestock, however, needs to be culled once in a while. Excess meat can be traded to humans and dwarves - as well as wool, which we also have more than enough. In fact, it might be more interesting to limit our trading items to overproduce. Prepared meals and spiked balls are a bit too exploity, and honestly, there's not so much we need from caravans.

What I've been ordering from caravans is mainly lumber (and flux stone, but that isn't necessary anymore - plenty of that). I still feel like we should limit tree-felling even though the elves won't come to complain any longer since Kasat "lost" her noble title due to me not remembering that taking her on an adventure will do that.

Militia:

We have two "squads" currently: The Fenced Princes and The Turquoise Veils.

The Fenced Princes is the main squad. The faun Kumil is militia commander and the two others in the squad are 'Avolition' and Cañar the elephant man. They're decked in good enough gear.

The Turquoise Veils is an archery "squad" with only one member: Suwu the huntress. Maybe we could add 1-2 into it. I think no armor is necessary for them. It feels more fitting that we have a mainly ill-equipped village militia than a proper military force. This squad is sort of crucial since there's a couple of times a year giant keas coming to pester our settlement. I've set an archery range west of the village proper (didn't check though if Suwu was using it or not).

About locations:

If new locations are made, make sure that they are 'citizens only' or 'citizens and long-term residents'. No visitors until we get our capybara population over twenty, preferably to thirty. This will reduce unwanted stuff when having to retire/unretire.

Other stuff and ramblings:

FPS hasn't really dropped. I've been dumping regularly crap into the atom smasher and got rid of it. That's also one reason why we shouldn't have overproduction - more crap means less FPS. Same goes still with cavern breaching: let's avoid it still.

In fact, there's really no need for mining. We have plenty of stone and ore for our meager needs.

That said, FPS drops when the damn giant keas arrive. Not super drastically, but noticeably - especially when there's a caravan around.

Stress levels are decent. Kasat is pretty much at -99k and there's several around -10k to -20k. The rest are around 0. I've been giving the denizens a season per year time off and it does the trick, though I haven't fulfilled individual crafting or other needs much. I'm happy that rain doesn't make surface forts a tantrum fest anymore after 0.47.05 came out.

Oh, and Edu Sandticks. He moves insanely fast. I believe it's related to adventure mode stuff as in retiring him while he was running or something. There might be a couple others who move quicker than they should, but not as drastically.

TL;DR:
  • Don't overproduce or at least avoid it. Stocks are good for years.
  • Sell excess stuff (wool, meat, plants).
  • Order lumber from caravans. Let's limit wood cutting to young/small trees.
  • No need for mining. We have stone and ore.
  • No outsiders/visitors allowed in taverns/temples/libraries/etc.!
  • Atom smash crap (worn non-masterwork clothes, etc.).
  • FPS is good. Giant keas cause lag spikes. Also, let's not breach caverns.
  • Capies are not stressed. One season free time per year helps keep it that way.

I hope that's all?

Oh, and my "secret project" at the north cliff facing the Lakes of Saturnity:

Spoiler: "Secret Project" (click to show/hide)

And the save:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16060

NOTE: If the next overseer wants to do an Adventure mode run rather than Fort mode, I'm fine with it (and actually encourage it!), but say so first - I'll write guidelines & rules for character creation!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2022, 10:21:46 pm »

I'll crack open the save tomorrow. If fort mode is too slow, then I'll do adventurer and let you know. But I'm intending on a fortress experience.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2022, 08:06:59 pm »

Save works and is runnable at stable FPS. I'm gonna...kill some of these sheep we have.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2022, 08:15:07 pm »

Ah, forgot to say that the sheep are (again) in need of some, err, "population control".

Good luck!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2022, 09:33:53 pm »

that stonesense map is an awesome sight to behold! It is evident great care has been taken to construct in a believable style. 

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2022, 06:38:04 am »

that stonesense map is an awesome sight to behold! It is evident great care has been taken to construct in a believable style.

Thanks! Surface forts are something that I always love doing (especially in a pseudo-medieval styled village). I'm quite happy that the bad thoughts from rain were nerfed in the .05 update. Before that there was usually a uncontrollable tantrum fest going on by the 5-7th year.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2022, 08:39:49 am »

Oh god the rain stress. Yeah, glad the stress system was fixed. Would have forts implode with stress
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2022, 08:42:41 am »

I think the seeing corpses part was nerfed a bit too much, but then again I'd rather have the current system than dorfs freaking out from the same elf tooth stuck in a tree over and over again until they snap.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2022, 08:57:07 am »

47.05 certainly opened up a lot more possibilities. Cavern forts, death cults, guys who hunt everything that moves on the surface...you can really do a lot these days without losing the fort to absolute madness.

Speaking of which, I've maybe played a couple weeks? It's slow going, not because I'm busy, but because I'm exceptionally not busy these days and have found it hard to focus on anything for long at all.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2022, 09:06:23 am »

47.05 certainly opened up a lot more possibilities. Cavern forts, death cults, guys who hunt everything that moves on the surface...you can really do a lot these days without losing the fort to absolute madness.

Yeah, though I don't think the madness was still as intense as in the even older tantrum spirals which we had when I started playing the game (can't remember the version, but maybe around 2013-2014 when dorfs still arranged parties?).

Or maybe it just feels like it since I was a newb at that point.

Speaking of which, I've maybe played a couple weeks? It's slow going, not because I'm busy, but because I'm exceptionally not busy these days and have found it hard to focus on anything for long at all.

In-game or real time weeks?

No worries in any case, but if you feel like you won't finish your turn just send a message.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49