Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40742 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2022, 02:28:29 pm »

"I appreciate the information. I'll need location of the boot maker as well, since visiting the place shouldn't be a waste of time. Before I forget, is there anywhere I could to listen to something played on your mother's drums, be it here or somewhere else? There's been so much praise heaped upon them I fear I have to listen to them."

He hasn't been on the ground this much since that incident with the relic... The more legwork Marco does, the more familiar he becomes with the culture of these particular dirtdwellers.

Hopefully I can get to listen to that war drum performance. Maybe slip them the sheet for a Battlefleet work hymn.

Check on the records to see if we can find the pilot and see if we can contact them to ask about who sent the delivery. In the meanwhile, let's visit the bootmaker.

"Best place would be at one of the Cathedrals or a parade. We've got plenty back home and could probably tap out a call or two on war drums...but not like we'd do em justice. Besides that type of drum is best played by a dozen marching men with dinos. A lunch call ain't something that would impress someone of your stature Lord Trader."

You find the pilot's records easily enough, a simple trip from a seaside village straight to the drummaker's. And from the fortress hanger to the seaside village before that. The pilot's papers readily show you a photo of his face alongside identifying information such as his name, rank, division, and serial number. Contacting them should prove simple enough.

Later after another trip cross world to the fortress, you find yourself in the shoemaker's factory. The lower levels are much more densely populated and less well decorated than those near the peak, though the military discipline of the fortress soldiers gives it a different feel than a typical hive.

The factory itself is a boxy building filled with whirring machinery watched over by a single red-robed tech priest and dozens of workers in flackgrass safety gear. The manager is equipped similarly but with red dye showing his place above the commoners.

He greets you with a typical light handshake and offers peach tea for your visit. It is visibly more watered down then that offered by the Governor, but otherwise seems to be the same product.

"You are interested in our boots, yes? Good eye, good sir! Thanks to integrating flackgrass into our product our boots are more lightweight than those offered by other worlds while offering increased protection to stepping hazards. They even float in water if your men happen to lose them! Dino hide is comparable to grox in every way but taste, which is sometimes considered a benefit should the soldiers you are outfitting have a habit of gnawing on their boots even when they arn't starving. Still it is an exotic material in much higher demand! No noble can brag about how their high-end house troops are wearing grox boots, while every single one could puff out their chest and proudly declare their soldiers are outfitted with only the finest dino leather! Not only do they act as combat boots, but they can be used to protect worker's feet to avoid having to pay for far more expensive cybernetic implants! Of course we offer even more high-end specialty products to those such as yourself. A custom fit boot of the latest fashion is only the start! Thanks to using flackgrass we may integrate a number of useful tools and gadgets into the boot without unnecessarily increasing its weight! Would you like a vox in your boot? Perhaps a hidden pistol or a holdout grenade? Maybe you are the type to fight up close and personal, we can add knives or spikes that pop out at the push of a button! Or maybe you would simply like a beacon that always shows your followers where you are?"
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2022, 06:40:52 pm »

"Lets start with the abbey, seems smallest."
"I'm not in the mood to meet a heathen mon-kiegh "Abbot" today. Let's land somewhere less exposed."
"Sure. Where?"

"Well, there are two other locations in the area. And since we're hunting cultists of the Dark Powers, one would think a place of worship to your emperor would be less likely to house any than a mining or farming village... or at least better hidden." Tallion says, musing aloud as he studies the map read-out. He pauses a moment to give it some further thought, before pointing to the map and adding. "Hmm... I think near the mines would be the best place to land and start with. There would be plenty of places within cults or agents of the Dark Powers could hide their actions in, places not often traveled, without them having to brave the dense jungle. And given all the trade they must do with the fortress alone, I doubt anyone would much notice one additional shuttle if we land among any others there on business."

"Alternatively, if the two of you wish..." He says, shifting where he's pointing on the map to a new location. "The Flak-grass ranches should have places that are remote enough to hide our landing more efficiently; allowing us to better conceal our shuttle with brush and/or approach more stealthily if we so desire. It's less direct and, given the size of the area, would probably have more places we'd need to cover; both investigatively and defensively. But with the insular, sleepy, idleness of communities like it, it's worth looking in to; especially when coupled with this world's warrior-hunter traditions you described. I'd just be afraid of being without cover should a firefight break out, given how open it all is."

"But even if we land at the Flak-grass ranches instead of the mines... I suggest we at least claim, if asked, to be agents of one of the two other Rogue Traders, the ones our boss is having to deal with; here to survey for additional resources to use in their little... duel. That way, should something go wrong, its one of them who feels the backlash and not our actual employer."

Turning from the maps to the Seer, he asks. "How good are you at reading Mon'Keigh minds?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2022, 01:06:13 pm »

The sales pitch that comes after the handshake and pleasantries is truly overwhelming. Maybe even a bit more than he'd been expecting prior to arrival; at times it can be hard to compare his reception pre-Warrant with the current welcoming his station (and possibility of business) affords him.

It isn't like he isn't interested in the offerings either, even if he does have to focus on the problem to be solved.

"I assume you have skilled hideworkers for custom pieces, correct?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2022, 07:58:11 pm »

The sales pitch that comes after the handshake and pleasantries is truly overwhelming. Maybe even a bit more than he'd been expecting prior to arrival; at times it can be hard to compare his reception pre-Warrant with the current welcoming his station (and possibility of business) affords him.

It isn't like he isn't interested in the offerings either, even if he does have to focus on the problem to be solved.

"I assume you have skilled hideworkers for custom pieces, correct?"

"Of course. Though if you are here to hire them away from this world be in mind that you will have to pay their Public Defense fee. If you are after the company itself I have never considered selling it before, after so many generations I had assumed it was what my family would be doing forever. Not to say I refuse..."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2022, 10:17:39 am »

"While your pitch has gotten me interested in the boots, I have admittedly come looking for skilled hideworkers to see if I can have a dino hide artificially weathered while it's still on the corpse." Lord-Captain Marco calmly states while looking out for high leather boots.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2022, 11:42:56 am »

"While your pitch has gotten me interested in the boots, I have admittedly come looking for skilled hideworkers to see if I can have a dino hide artificially weathered while it's still on the corpse." Lord-Captain Marco calmly states while looking out for high leather boots.

"While we do not usually deal with artificial weathering I'm aware of techniques..." the man scratches his head. "For leather, artificial aging usually involves spraying the piece with industrial alcohols and rubbing it gently until it shines. This only works for high quality leather such as those offered in our fine products, full grain or top grain. This is because lower quality leather removes its imperfections in the outer layer by sanding away parts of the grain that are necessary to achieve a high-quality patina. I'm afraid to say this technique does not work for anything but high quality leather. That is to say, there is nothing to gain from doing it to rawhide. You would in fact decrease its value significantly by attempting to do so. Furthermore this process only works on breathable leathers. Leather from scaled dinos won't achieve patina from artificial aging and are better left polished."

He shows you a variety of boots, most of which are combat boots due to the local preferences. There is a surprising amount of variation depending on the terrain you're expecting to fight in, such as a jungle boot being designed so that water can easily drain out while a snow boot insures the foot remains warm. There is even a design meant for spacers, with built-in magnets in case of antigravity failures. There are also foreign designs likely meant for export, some of which end up on the less practical end. One example is a boot that looks like feudal world's knight armor made of dark leather, while another is a soft soled shoe with elaborate embroidery that should probably never tough a dirty floor.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2022, 12:31:37 pm »

"I see. That is unfortunate."

"Are there any officer's high boots for dueling? Indoors duels, as I expect boarding actions at most, rather than matching swords in the mud."

Get a vox line to the pilot established while we're finishing up in the shoe factory.
>Yes?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2022, 12:45:21 pm »

Turning from the maps to the Seer, he asks. "How good are you at reading Mon'Keigh minds?"

"Not my Path. I have gotten quite good at grabbing drinks from across the room, though. Very useful on extended voyages!"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2022, 08:47:18 pm »

Indaria remains silent, not having a strong opinion on the matter.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2022, 11:23:53 pm »

"I see. That is unfortunate."

"Are there any officer's high boots for dueling? Indoors duels, as I expect boarding actions at most, rather than matching swords in the mud."

Get a vox line to the pilot established while we're finishing up in the shoe factory.

"We have a number of high boots available. If none of them strike your fancy, we will of course take a commission on a custom piece."

He proceeds to show you a number of high boots with different styles made in different material. Most of the dinosaur material has either a scale or dotted pattern, though there is occasionally an example that appears patternless. While lacking in hidden features (presumably the shoemaker is assuming you're going for fair duels) most are padded with flackgrass for both defense and comfort. According to his sales pitch, the local favorite is a high boot embroidered with a peach tree pattern, while the most popular export is a black boot decorated with ivory skulls.

"If the great Lord Trader has any evocative tales of successful duels we can work those designs into a custom work, or we can prepare a space to mark your victories if you wish. Your boots will be the last thing your opponents see as their lives leave them, you are right to honor them with a good pair of boots!"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2022, 01:33:04 pm »

"I'll take one of each of the peach tree-patterned one and ivory skull-decorated pair. It would be a shame to not purchase something evocative of this planet's culture." he comments while finishing up the peach tea.

Now let's go check with the pilot who's responsible for the gift. Possibly via vox so we can just head directly to the gifter's address if possible.
>Yes?

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2022, 04:07:02 pm »

"Not my Path. I have gotten quite good at grabbing drinks from across the room, though. Very useful on extended voyages!"
Indaria remains silent, not having a strong opinion on the matter.

"Pity..." He says in response to the Seer. "The ability to read minds could be particularly useful in learning what we want to know." Turning back to the map readouts, he adds "So which will it be? The mines or the fields? I, myself, still favor the mines to start at. But it's the decision of both of you, I'm just here to lend what help I can."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2022, 07:29:04 pm »

"I'll take one of each of the peach tree-patterned one and ivory skull-decorated pair. It would be a shame to not purchase something evocative of this planet's culture." he comments while finishing up the peach tea.

Now let's go check with the pilot who's responsible for the gift. Possibly via vox so we can just head directly to the gifter's address if possible.

Vox contact established!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2022, 07:34:15 pm »

Let's go mines.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2022, 01:24:32 pm »

++Lord-Captain Guerra speaking. I am looking for a skilled artist responsible for reproducing dead dinos as statues, and I've been informed you were responsible for transporting a gift of theirs. Do you know where live or have their contact?++ Marco asks, additionally sending over the information of the day and hour of the trip to see whether that jogs the pilot's memory.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47