Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40644 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2022, 09:37:47 pm »

In that case sit around doing nothing, I guess. Maybe do some baking.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2022, 01:37:44 am »

initially, I'd prefer to first walk around with Teeth (my raptor) in the presence of people and check how prone Teeth is to false positives. It's going to be critical that Teeth be... not exactly safe but not a constant hazard to the people around her once on-ship
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2022, 01:50:02 pm »

"This is certainly a problem. Any suggestions of weathering, at least something that's superficial enough to avoid initial suspicion?" They could just hope the Rogue Traders wouldn't notice anything amiss, but it's far better to try and lower any risks of the negotiation going completely awry.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2022, 09:30:18 pm »

In that case sit around doing nothing, I guess. Maybe do some baking.

Back on the ship?

initially, I'd prefer to first walk around with Teeth (my raptor) in the presence of people and check how prone Teeth is to false positives. It's going to be critical that Teeth be... not exactly safe but not a constant hazard to the people around her once on-ship

Most of the village is rural, with the population living in homes separated by ranch land (typically with less impressive fences than those at the chief's manor). The largest group of humans is therefore the Chief's family and servants. Teeth has gotten more or less used to most of them, as they had taken an active part in caretaking or training at some point. They are capable of performing every day duties unfitting of your position such as removing waste without getting mauled which is a good sign. When facing strangers while walking down the villages roads Teeth tends to act aggressive and hiss, which is less encouraging, but with no casualties you can at least say you haven't had any false positives.

"This is certainly a problem. Any suggestions of weathering, at least something that's superficial enough to avoid initial suspicion?" They could just hope the Rogue Traders wouldn't notice anything amiss, but it's far better to try and lower any risks of the negotiation going completely awry.

"This planet houses many skilled in scrimshaw. Perhaps such an artist could carve the tooth to your specifications? I'm afraid unless you come up with a genetic solution I am out of my element."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2022, 01:49:11 pm »

"That is fair." After another moment, the Lord-Captain relays all info to the Governor. They might as well raise the chances of success.

Contact the Governor, see if they can suggest any skilled leatherworker, scrimshawer or other similar crafting professions that might help here. Otherwise it's time to do the legwork ourselves. Maybe the dino-wranglers our resident weirdos visited may be helpful?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2022, 11:05:04 am »

"That is fair." After another moment, the Lord-Captain relays all info to the Governor. They might as well raise the chances of success.

Contact the Governor, see if they can suggest any skilled leatherworker, scrimshawer or other similar crafting professions that might help here. Otherwise it's time to do the legwork ourselves. Maybe the dino-wranglers our resident weirdos visited may be helpful?

++There was a scrimshaw competition during the Parade of the Emperor's Ascension some years back. There was a good many skilled pieces on display, but the winner was a truly magnificent rendition of the battle of Rook's Crowning in a Triceratops frill. I can get you in contact with any of the participants should you wish, though I can not promise that they remain among the living due to the dangers faced by those who live on our planet.++

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2022, 01:34:36 pm »

++Please do. At least one should be alive. Any leatherworkers skilled with dino hide as well?++
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2022, 04:39:46 pm »

Then I think the move would be to go hunting with Teeth. Lets head out to populated or otherwise suspect areas of the planet and see if I find myself feeling anything Chaotic, and Teeth can help watch my back, and I'll get to see how well the training with Teeth stuck and worked out.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2022, 08:23:49 pm »

++Please do. At least one should be alive. Any leatherworkers skilled with dino hide as well?++

++That is perhaps more difficult to find. As you may have noticed our people rich and poor tend to use flackgrass where others would instead use leather. Truly skilled artisans in the craft are therefore more rare than elsewhere. Still we have...or more accurately had many luxury weapons available for export. These often include holsters, cases, slings, and occasionally grips fashioned from local leather of quality befitting a noble who prefers leather to cloth. I know not any names personally but can easily enough give you a list of names from my Quartermaster.++

Then I think the move would be to go hunting with Teeth. Lets head out to populated or otherwise suspect areas of the planet and see if I find myself feeling anything Chaotic, and Teeth can help watch my back, and I'll get to see how well the training with Teeth stuck and worked out.

Are you going Witch Hunting in the villages of the Warriors or the Fortress itself?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2022, 08:25:26 pm »

Villages first for a less crowded and easier on Teeth environment, minimizing false positives, then slowing going more and more urban as long as Teeth behaves herself. I'm honestly more interested in working with Teeth than successfully finding problems.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2022, 08:31:27 pm »

Village witchhunting it is. Ignore the fact that I'm literally a xenos witch.

Karsus the Mad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2022, 08:32:33 pm »

Sometimes it takes a witch to find a witch. XD

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2022, 09:22:11 pm »

Villages first for a less crowded and easier on Teeth environment, minimizing false positives, then slowing going more and more urban as long as Teeth behaves herself. I'm honestly more interested in working with Teeth than successfully finding problems.

From what the two of you have gathered from long months of living with the Warriors, their typical way of dealing with heretics is to immediately start shooting once you are sufficiently convinced your target is an Ancient of Chaos. Not that you saw any of that happen first hand, but they where certainly proud of the times they saved the world from Chaos by transforming a suspected cultist into dinosaur chow. As such your witch hunt needs no authorization, so long as you have sufficient evidence any killing is unlikely to even get a show trial. "Sufficient Evidence" of course depends on the status of the cultist you just ventilated.

Using psyniscience feels odd on this planet. At least for the human. It is as if the planet itself is a psyker. One powerful enough to be felt no matter your location. Still it is the fortress that burns brightest, like a miniature astronomicon just for you. There are smaller beacons elsewhere in the world, with the same feeling but less intensity. Like a match compared to a lighthouse. While these may not be the light you're looking for they may have attracted their share of moths, given what you can piece together about what the light is.

Cross referencing with your map, one is in a wreckage of a void ship that has been transformed into one of the larger villages on the planet. Another is deep within a jungle, on a mountain within riding distance of three smaller villages. The last promising light is underwater near the shore by a medium sized village. Still this light is clearly that of the planet rather than that of an invader, it is possible all of these places are free of Chaos Taint. Perhaps these may even be the safest from such forces, should the planet be working against them in its own subtle way. By a more mundane search you have the frequencies given to you long ago (and a few more you picked up during downtime planetside). While your sources of potential information are heavily controlled and filled with propaganda, you could likely piece together villages that have a higher rate of disappearances, crime, or "triumphant victories over the forces of Chaos". Such places are also likely to have non-chaos related violence issues to work through even if their issues are not being directly caused by the warp touched.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2022, 09:39:30 pm »

Is communing with the World Spirit at one of those spots generally something possible?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2022, 09:53:08 pm »

Is communing with the World Spirit at one of those spots generally something possible?

It is likely possible, though only guaranteed at the larger presence in the fortress. Under normal circumstances you would expect the World Spirit to be more spread out without any singular mass as seen here, it is entirely possible that gathering it in one place damaged the network in a way that would make communing more difficult.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47