Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40539 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2022, 08:43:48 am »

Indaria waits for Kedia to begin to throw or to reveal herself. the moment her ally reveals her presence, she's going to attempt her bola throw at the suspicious raptor. It seems smarter, and that makes it more valuable to me. In the meantime she's simply waiting and aiming.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2022, 11:32:37 am »

Dangit, with 30 BS and only one bola, I'd really like a way to give myself better than 30% odds. Is there any chance that properly distracting it would help? Or that there's actually a bonus for hitting an unawares target buried somewhere in the book?

((Unaware/Surprised targets: +30
Get within 5 meters: +10
Get within 2 meters: +30

Distracting it further probably won't give you any more bonus to hit, but might make it easier to sneak closer. There are probably other ways to get more +s but those are the only ones I can immediately think of.))

"The sooner we contact the Genetor, the sooner we may solve this. Update the Ark and the other officers on the situation; we might as well head straight to the outpost after sending a forewarning."

Genetor visitation time. Send a message ahead just in case though.

You order the pilot to head toward the Genetor lab, sending a message ahead as you do so. You're once again in the air above the mountain of military might that is the fortress. After a time the guns and missiles give way to a crystal clear ocean dotted with islands that wouldn't be out of place on a garden world. In some places you can see clear to the bottom, allowing you to observe reefs teaming with life even from the air. The ocean itself gives away to wetlands, with the occasional human settlement now breaking apart the landscape. Wetlands thicken into jungle.

Your landing zone is a small strip of concrete surrounded uncomfortably close by the jungle plants. Nearby debris suggest said plants where recently cut back for your landing, likely thanks to you and the Governor General calling ahead. The facility itself is covered in plants more deliberately, with decorative dino skulls where you would normally expect human skulls. It isn't a large outpost, three interconnected buildings and the landing pad surrounded by a fence. Further back is a fourth facility that seems to be a barn, with its own separate fencing.

A red-robbed priestess comes out from the facility to great you. She looks the part of a typical techpriest with the normal mechanical augmentations. What gives her away as a Genetor is the two followers behind her, each with clearly biological augmentations. One is as large as an Ork with scales visible through the gaps in his carapace armor, but perhaps most noticeable is the two autoguns that are where his hands should be, each connected to his arm by pulsating flesh. The second moves oddly, it seems their legs have been replaced by some inhuman approximation that allows them to more swiftly and gracefully than they had before. Their iris is thin like a cat's, and their nose jaw is hidden behind a bandana mask. Both seem more like mutants than the one under your employ.

"Greetings Rogue Trader. I was informed of your arrival and purpose. I'm Genetor Hogbin, the sole researcher of this outpost." The Genetor's voice was less synthetic than that of a typical tech priest. While it still sounds man made (and not in the usual way) it sounds as if it comes from artificial vocal chords rather than a machine. "These are my workers. The larger works as my bodyguard and hunter, while the smaller takes care of the research samples." Both assistants bow at their mention.

"My profession leaves little time for idle chatter, please follow me and we'll get to business." Hogbin motions for you to follow her with her mechadendrite as she turns into the lab. Her assistants bow once again and return to their usual duties. She leads you inside her crowded lab. Every available space is currently being used to hold a sample or computer. Glass containers with vaguely-human, vaguely dinosaur, or completely unknown shapes floating around in oddly colored liquid are among the most common. Dinosaurs spread out on autopsy tables is another favorite. Paper notes take up much of the remaining space.

"Your request is an intriguing one, likely more than you realize." She plugs herself in to a data slate. "Dinos are an interesting and complex subject. You see they are not creatures that naturally formed on this planet. My current theory is that they where the result of fleshcrafting by the Eldar that we liberated this planet from long ago. This is why I'm researching them, you see. Had you asked for a living dino I would have likely been unable to produce a convincing double, but I should be able to create a simple corpse given...perhaps a week."

She turns to face you. She shows you the picture on the data pad. "And I will do so at the Governor-General's request. Fear not. It will take little attention and resources. But I am glad you came. I have a request of my own related to the Rogue Trader you are currently dealing with." Said data pad shows you a picture of said trader. "According to the rumors, he has undergone genetic enhancement with an unknown xenos origin. I believe these rumors to be true and would like to perform some research on him. If you can get me a gene sample, perhaps a hair or bit of saliva, I will give you a reward in turn. Should you convince him to come in and allow me to run tests I will reward you even greater. While my funding is not grand my knowledge is unmatched in my field. I'll happily offer an upgrade to anyone you like. Have you acquired a Dino? I could upgrade them instead, should you desire a cyberanimal."

Indaria waits for Kedia to begin to throw or to reveal herself. the moment her ally reveals her presence, she's going to attempt her bola throw at the suspicious raptor. It seems smarter, and that makes it more valuable to me. In the meantime she's simply waiting and aiming.

You wait patiently for the Eldar to make the first move.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2022, 01:35:16 pm »

Use precision telekinesis, fettered, to make a suspicious rustling in a bush 5 meters from me to lure the big one in. While really trying to stay still.
On next turn, if that works, I can half move to 2 meters and use the bolas.

(Fettered works wonky for eldar: no psy focus test and I count as getting (psy rating - 1d5) degrees of success to a minimum of 0.
Since I'm a baby eldar mage with 1 psy rating when fettered this basically means we don't roll anything and I get a success with 0 degrees on the psy focus.)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2022, 02:14:02 pm »

"I'm Lord-Captain Guerra, and I appreciate the directness." Good thing he's gone through enough that he doesn't blink an eye—or reach for his weapon—at the sight of the assistants. There are some things not even his version of the Imperial faith can explain when it comes to Mechanicus activities.

As unexpected as an instant resolution had been, it's surely welcome.

"I'm thankful for the swift solution, Genetor."

"I intend to meet the Traders in person given the chance, therefore I'll try to grant your request to the best of my ability."
As much as 'xeno-based genetic enhancement' made thoughts of punishment involving a voidsuit-less voidwalk come to mind.

What is the reward for getting the RT to do the tests in person? Also I believe it's about time to formally send hails to the Traders and get their versions of the facts and opinion on the other side.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2022, 10:46:33 pm »

Use precision telekinesis, fettered, to make a suspicious rustling in a bush 5 meters from me to lure the big one in. While really trying to stay still.
On next turn, if that works, I can half move to 2 meters and use the bolas.

(Fettered works wonky for eldar: no psy focus test and I count as getting (psy rating - 1d5) degrees of success to a minimum of 0.
Since I'm a baby eldar mage with 1 psy rating when fettered this basically means we don't roll anything and I get a success with 0 degrees on the psy focus.)

You successfully use your fantastical cosmic powers to wiggle a small bush. Your ancestors would be proud! Unfortunately an animal's first response to being startled is to move away from the object that startles them while making themselves as big as possible and making aggressive noises toward the object startling them. Even if they're a predator. If you have a cat you can try this experiment at home! Following these instincts rather than their curiosity, the Raptors all move away from you toward Indaria. Which is good for her. Not so great for you. Or them since they dropped the meat they where fighting over.

((Oh right, I forgot you had that power. You can use Precision Telekinesis to shoot weapons with your WP instead of BS, or hit people with weapons using your mind as per the Errata. This always felt much more logical when there was a chance you got eaten by demons every time you tried to use it. I might have to nerf your Elf powers in response. According to the Errata it uses your range increment, so getting closer would still help but right now you'd be shooting at 80 already, even after the move.)).

Bait Raptor 1: 16 meters from Kedia, 5 from Indaria
Bait Raptor 2: 6 meters from Indaria, 15 from Kedia
Suspicious Raptor: 7 meters from Indaria, 17 from Kedia
Meek Raptor: 8 meters from Indaria, 18 from Kedia

"I'm Lord-Captain Guerra, and I appreciate the directness." Good thing he's gone through enough that he doesn't blink an eye—or reach for his weapon—at the sight of the assistants. There are some things not even his version of the Imperial faith can explain when it comes to Mechanicus activities.

As unexpected as an instant resolution had been, it's surely welcome.

"I'm thankful for the swift solution, Genetor."

"I intend to meet the Traders in person given the chance, therefore I'll try to grant your request to the best of my ability."
As much as 'xeno-based genetic enhancement' made thoughts of punishment involving a voidsuit-less voidwalk come to mind.

What is the reward for getting the RT to do the tests in person? Also I believe it's about time to formally send hails to the Traders and get their versions of the facts and opinion on the other side.

((I guess you asked that OOC instead of IC :V. Reward is Best quality "Cybernetic" >=Very Rare, chosen by consensus of whatever players complete the quest. Will likely be dinosaur themed unless you specifically ask otherwise IC. Can be installed for free or used at a later date.

Which Trader would you like to hail first?))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2022, 10:52:25 pm »

Oh well. Combine magic with bola to totally cheat at the exercise and tangle the big one. And halfmove closer.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2022, 11:11:40 pm »

The Genetor's no-nonsense responses and negotiation are welcome. Life would be so much easier for Marco were all those he found so competent and easy to deal with, though they'd hopefully also have fewer horribly-experimented-upon fleshcrafted assistants in tow.

"Thank you very much, Genetor Hogbin. May my next contact be with good news."

Make it. the weirdo the Genetor wants to experiment on examine. ((I was in a hurry so I slapped the question in the OOC area instead of an IC question that'd take some time to write, then I kinda forgot and just left it as it was when I got home.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2022, 08:35:33 am »

I'm still allowing Kedia to make the first move here. If she manages to take down the suspicious one that I was interested in, then I'll switch targets to the meek one, because I'm not impressed with the brains of the ones that just took the obvious bait. If she fails, then I'll go for the suspicious one myself, since that IS the one that I'm the most interested in.

Either way, I'm using my bola here.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2022, 10:52:16 pm »

Oh well. Combine magic with bola to totally cheat at the exercise and tangle the big one. And halfmove closer.

You step out of the bush.

I'm still allowing Kedia to make the first move here. If she manages to take down the suspicious one that I was interested in, then I'll switch targets to the meek one, because I'm not impressed with the brains of the ones that just took the obvious bait. If she fails, then I'll go for the suspicious one myself, since that IS the one that I'm the most interested in.

Either way, I'm using my bola here.

You see Kedia step out of the bush.

Both of you together, at once, throw your bolas at the same target at the same time. One the traditional way, one with the power of the Eldar mind.

...You both miss. Your bolas collide into each other in the air. Half the raptors shriek at each of you, readying to attack as a group. A large roar responds from behind you. Once again the raptors respond by running away and making themselves big. When they see that they're still much smaller than the really big thing they keep running and running until they're out of sight. The chief and his mount are on the scene!

"Looks like you found some already! Shame you couldn't break any this time. Scaring them off works really well for keeping the hunt safe, but I probably bumped them off the trail for a few days at least. If you're not too set on any of them we should probably find another pack's hunting ground."

The Genetor's no-nonsense responses and negotiation are welcome. Life would be so much easier for Marco were all those he found so competent and easy to deal with, though they'd hopefully also have fewer horribly-experimented-upon fleshcrafted assistants in tow.

"Thank you very much, Genetor Hogbin. May my next contact be with good news."

Make it. the weirdo the Genetor wants to experiment on examine. ((I was in a hurry so I slapped the question in the OOC area instead of an IC question that'd take some time to write, then I kinda forgot and just left it as it was when I got home.))

"I will get to work on the requested trophy as soon as someone sends me the gene and a reference for the creature's age. Until then good luck with your endeavors."

She bows and returns to work.

You pick up your lander's vox system and hail the frequency given to you by the Governor-General for the Rogue Trader. After a brief delay there is an answer:

"Triggvaldr Icewhite here, lately of the Inscrutable Horse. Whom do I have the pleasure of receiving?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2022, 03:33:24 pm »

Arrange to have the necessary information sent to the Genetor. Also time for diplomacy.

It's during these moments that Marco's family being Battlefleet nobility rather than old-blooded High Spire-fare comes in handy. Sure he doesn't have convenient rivals giving him casus belli to take over their holdings, but that means there also aren't enemies of his Dynasty with millennia-old grudges to be found in the nooks and crannies of the galaxy.

++Marco Cordello, of the Guerra Dynasty, captain of the just-arrived Ark Royal. I got wind of what's happening here thanks to Governor-General Fasilides, and I'm rather interested in listening to the stories of rivalry of fellow Traders that arrived here before I did. I've also heard of the talented swordsman you've hired, and while my dueling lessons are in the past I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't interested in watching their style.++

++What say you we talk over drinks or recafs aboard the Ark? A few interceptor pilots have devised a particularly electrifying pre-flight cocktail.++

>Yes?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2022, 04:01:45 pm »

Kedia briefly considers sprinting after them and telekinetically shoving the target into the dirt, make it yield. But in the end, all that would accomplish would be needless endangerment and soothing an already bruised pride. That shouldn't have been a miss...

"I'm sure that we can find better stock."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2022, 04:53:54 pm »

Arrange to have the necessary information sent to the Genetor. Also time for diplomacy.

It's during these moments that Marco's family being Battlefleet nobility rather than old-blooded High Spire-fare comes in handy. Sure he doesn't have convenient rivals giving him casus belli to take over their holdings, but that means there also aren't enemies of his Dynasty with millennia-old grudges to be found in the nooks and crannies of the galaxy.

++Marco Cordello, of the Guerra Dynasty, captain of the just-arrived Ark Royal. I got wind of what's happening here thanks to Governor-General Fasilides, and I'm rather interested in listening to the stories of rivalry of fellow Traders that arrived here before I did. I've also heard of the talented swordsman you've hired, and while my dueling lessons are in the past I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't interested in watching their style.++

++What say you we talk over drinks or recafs aboard the Ark? A few interceptor pilots have devised a particularly electrifying pre-flight cocktail.++

"Charmed. Unfortunately, my attention is preoccupied at the moment by a minor matter of ongoing warfare. What kind of leader would I be if I left the field to party in orbit with my men fighting and dying below? If you're jonesing for a target for your hospitality, though, I can spare my lieutenant a brief leave to satisfy your curiosity. If nothing but the real thing will do, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait until we've resolved the matter, or try talking him into surrendering to save me the trouble."

Kedia briefly considers sprinting after them and telekinetically shoving the target into the dirt, make it yield. But in the end, all that would accomplish would be needless endangerment and soothing an already bruised pride. That shouldn't have been a miss...

"I'm sure that we can find better stock."

Your telekinetic ability is powerful but limited in range so long as you keep yourself fettered - you would have to get within 5 meters to tangle with the beasts.

Indaria mentally estimates that it a pack that size would need around 110 kilometers of hunting ground. In other words another two days of traveling in both directions so long as you stay on the river creature.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2022, 07:34:37 pm »

No need to rush this. I'm willing to take the extra days to travel. Besides, this is a really relaxing and chill environment. The creatures are nowhere near as nasty and there's practically nothing poisonous!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2022, 08:54:51 pm »

No need to rush this. I'm willing to take the extra days to travel. Besides, this is a really relaxing and chill environment. The creatures are nowhere near as nasty and there's practically nothing poisonous!

You return to the newly setup campsite with the locals and immediately tear it down to continue up river. The jungle around you gets thicker and thicker over the next two days, with the sounds of life filling the air day and night. A flackgrass mosquito net is placed over the boat to keep the myriad of insects large and small away from Indaria. It seems the locals painting their exposed skin manages to keep bugs away in addition to the camouflage effect, and as one would expect most bugs off a Death World can't pierce the Eldar's suit. You occasionally see other dinosaurs through the trees, and fish in the waters. The Warrior riding the crocodile like creature offers to teach you the local fishing methods - which mostly involve flackgrass net and rather practical food gathering techniques rather than rod-based sports fishing. At night the Chief clears away the underbrush from your chosen campsite using his dinosaur meaning your campsites are essentially the same as in the grassland, with the same watch schedule. You notice the warriors hunt with different tactics in the jungle then they had in the grassland. In the open grassland they took shots at great distances then closed in to finish their targets off with their mounts, but in the trees they often ambush their prey at close distance. Even the Chief's large dino manages stalk despite its bulk.

On the third day Indaria spots familiar tracks from the boat. The chief hands you your new bait, a vaguely turkey-like dinosaur the size of an arm.

"Just chop this little guy up to get the scent out when you get close. Same plan as last time?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2022, 09:20:43 pm »

A frustrating turn for sure. While it's a good excuse to dodge Marco's hospitality, it doesn't mean the Trader's happy with it. He wonders just how hard to crack said lieutenant is to freely offer his presence, even if it's a rude gesture to offer a subordinate to meet directly with another person at—theoretically—the same level.

++How hot is the current situation? The description of 'unscheduled live fire exercises' isn't quite as detailed as I'd want.++
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47