Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)  (Read 40472 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (IC)
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2022, 05:37:59 pm »

Served in my craftworld's navy. We did try to take this world by naval force several times, so I know firsthand how dangerous these humans can be. Before that, I don't know much, it was before my time.
Well, other than the fact that it belongs to us, but that's obvious.

Your memories of the planet still long predate the ugly monkey mountain they call a fortress. Back when the Eldar wished to retake the planet by force, it was still a maiden world with a few human settlements on it. Allegedly the World Spirit was hidden under what became the largest human pimple. It had bribed the humans with bountiful harvests to avoid having any of them dig into its hiding place, causing those stupid mon-keys to defend the location with their lives. You're probably here to retake the World Spirit.

After a few failed crusades your higher ups decided to manipulate others into attacking it instead of wasting lives. Attempts at starting revolts, tricking the forces of Chaos against it, and even throwing Orks at the planet in the understanding that the Eldar would swoop in to reclaim their rightful soil when the victors where weakened from fighting. The constant fighting seemed to have had the opposite effect and now they're much more prepared to fight then the humans from your memory.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2022, 09:31:51 pm »

Marco could just go over the heads of the grunts and fuck around until the Governor found out. Would he? Nah, that'd cause them trouble and create unnecessary hostility. I mean, that'd likely be plan B or C, but as far as he was concerned he could try to solve the matter like adults who were used to the hard knocks of war.

++I will gladly book a meeting with the Governor-General then, which's convenient since I might have more up-to-date information than the earlier arrivals. I also have an interest in establishing rapport so that would be a time saver. In fact, could I get a comms to them or are they otherwise occupied at the moment?++

He turned to the bridge and to his officers. "I need you to open a secondary line to the fortress and see if you can find out information about the settlement outside its boundaries. An immediate wide augury run as well, followed by a focused one on the planet."

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2022, 11:27:47 pm »

Marco could just go over the heads of the grunts and fuck around until the Governor found out. Would he? Nah, that'd cause them trouble and create unnecessary hostility. I mean, that'd likely be plan B or C, but as far as he was concerned he could try to solve the matter like adults who were used to the hard knocks of war.

++I will gladly book a meeting with the Governor-General then, which's convenient since I might have more up-to-date information than the earlier arrivals. I also have an interest in establishing rapport so that would be a time saver. In fact, could I get a comms to them or are they otherwise occupied at the moment?++

He turned to the bridge and to his officers. "I need you to open a secondary line to the fortress and see if you can find out information about the settlement outside its boundaries. An immediate wide augury run as well, followed by a focused one on the planet."

++Affirmative. One moment.++

There is yet another pause.

++Governor-General Fasilides will meet with you at your earliest convenience. You are cleared to use LZ 1.++

While the fortress dominates the landscape, the other continents are dotted with comparatively small towns and villages. Some readings suggest shielding and probable defensive structures, but these are likely auxiliary to the fortress. There is not much more to be said about them from simple scans aside from the fact they exist.

Other than that there is ->

Rook's Crown is the only planet orbiting its sun, like it was brought from outside the solar system. It has a single moon that looks like a flawless pearl with no craters blemishing the surface (scanners suggest this is likely due to internal volcanic activity). There are signs of life all over the planet. There are small energy signatures in the upper atmosphere suggesting satellites surrounding the planet, but no sign of orbital defense platforms or ships larger than fighter/bombers.

The atmosphere is breathable with little industrial pollutants despite the fortress and its activities. Temperature is unnaturally temperate and comfortable across planet with heat peaking at "pleasant summer beach" and the lowest cold being "A good day for skiing". There are no immediate signs of ongoing large scale warfare, but occasionally the wreckages of past conflict can be found in more remote areas.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2022, 11:34:10 pm »

So no other voidships in orbit or within a few VUs of distance?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2022, 11:41:10 pm »

So no other voidships in orbit or within a few VUs of distance?

None that you can detect. There are void capable fighters and bombers in the planet's atmosphere, if those count.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2022, 09:16:47 pm »

++I am grateful for his prompt availability and we will be on our way as soon we are prepared. A communique will be sent beforehand. Out.++ he solemnly replied before his attention moved to the bridge.

Marco rose tapped his fingers on the command throne's arms while looking at the other officers inside the room. "You've heard it, the Governor is available. Prepare a lander and let us meet him. Before we leave I do need intel on the other dynasties that arrived earlier as well as the general mood of the people. Gather them via comms and the broadcasts, stat."

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 09:54:20 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2022, 04:15:16 pm »

Considering that negotiations are currently being carried out on-bridge, and that the Lord Captain himself was speaking with the para-
colonists of Rook's Crown, Kedia decides to vox First Officer Cipio with some concerns.

++Honorable First Officer, I apologize if I'm distracting you from your duties, but I'm sure you're aware the crew of this vessel are aware that the crew is slightly less than purely human. Considering that negotiating with the Rook's Crown could become more difficult if the crew managed to communicate this fact, I hope that you're making sure to limit communications between the crew and the fortress?++
++I understand your concerns, Honorable Emissary, but very few crew have any access to off-ship communications and all of them are vetted by the Master of Etherics. They should know better than to casually reveal such things to outsiders. If you still have concerns, I suggest bringing them up either with the Master or the Lord-Captain.++

++I am grateful for his prompt availability and we will be on our way as soon we are prepared, and  Out.++ he solemnly replied before his attention moved to the bridge.

Marco rose tapped his fingers on the command throne's arms while looking at the other officers inside the room. "You've heard it, the Governor is available. Prepare a lander and let us meet him. Before we leave I do need intel on the other dynasties that arrived earlier as well as the general mood of the people. Gather them via comms and the broadcasts, stat."

"I'll see what I can find out, Lord-Captain. I should have a basic overview by the time the shuttle is ready."

True to her word, Symonne immediately moved to a communication terminal and began making comms.

Make Inquiries on the identity of the other rogue traders, prioritizing the relevant Peers (Mercantile, maybe). Get any information on them possible before the shuttle leaves. Also try to get a general overview on the planet's mood from members of the Administratum or Ecclesiarchy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2022, 11:58:44 pm »

"I'll see what I can find out, Lord-Captain. I should have a basic overview by the time the shuttle is ready."

True to her word, Symonne immediately moved to a communication terminal and began making comms.

Make Inquiries on the identity of the other rogue traders, prioritizing the relevant Peers (Mercantile, maybe). Get any information on them possible before the shuttle leaves. Also try to get a general overview on the planet's mood from members of the Administratum or Ecclesiarchy.

The merchants of Rook's Crown are surprisingly tight lipped thanks to their militaristic culture. They unsurprisingly try to sell you things thanks to their merchant culture. From what you can tell the claim that the planet is self sufficient is correct, as the Merchants seem to have plenty of food and gear on offer. The best selling military goods from the fortress are lasguns and lasgun accessories followed by "Dominator" pattern plasma pistols. The biggest non-military good from the fortress are hydroponics grown peaches said to have all the nutrients a body need to get into fighting shape. The merchant promises the God Emperor blessed these peaches himself to turn those who live off of them into the perfect human fighting form, and this is apparently a common belief among the population rather than an inventive sales tactic. Outside the fort the biggest military good is "flackgrass", a type of plant that can be used to manufacture quilted armor that is as strong as flack while being cheaper to produce and lighter. You're told everyone on the planet wears clothes made of flackgrass instead of standard issue armor. Following that their biggest good is dinosaurs, which function as both a military and civilian good. Warriors outside the fortress ranch them mainly to ride into battle, though some species are raised for their meat or hides instead.

In addition many offer to hook you up with "guards" from around the planet. This isn't technically an offer of mercenary aid, essentially you're offering the promise to kill enemies of the Imperium and paying off their "Homeland Defense" fee allowing them to get out of compulsory service so they can go kill the enemies of the Imperium. According to the sales pitch, the inhabitants of the Fortress are well schooled in warfare. They're disciplined soldiers who train daily and drill for a number of defense situations, each going to compulsory military school from a young age. Thanks to the peaches, they're physically stronger than the average guardsman and thanks to their training they can shoot just as well. They utilize combined arms tactics including an air and space force, and as such they have experienced fighter/bomber pilots. They're unshakably loyal to the Emperor and his Imperium and will follow any order to defend it. Meanwhile the Warriors who live outside the fortress are more individualistic, with less "formal" training but just as much combat experience. Their specialty is the dinosaur riders, cavalry that utilize dinosaurs clad in colorful flackgrass armor to decimate any opponent that dares to land on their beloved planet. They also offer skilled infantry and hunters used to open fields and powerful prey. They're more likely than those of the fortress to enter melee combat, especially those on the powerful mounts. Valuing strength and valor above all else much of their culture revolves around being the best fighter you can be, and proving you're the best fighter you can be once you're there. Some of the bigger merchants offer to get you in contact with "candidates for" the Peach Keepers, the planet's elite fighting force controlled by the Governor General. From what you're told they only accept the best from around the world, and being accepted into it honors your entire family line. As they can only be deployed by the Governor General to defend the fortress they're not directly available, thus the "candidate" workaround.

Unfortunately you can't get any of the merchants to tell you if the Rogue Traders have utilized any of these forces. Apparently they really value customer privacy. They're also clearly desperate to get exports out since the trade network fell down.

The Ecclesiarchy arn't concerned with earthly matters like the RT. Their biggest concerns are the souls of their flock. While they firmly believe that their planet could withstand a thousand years of Chaos siege, they worry that their souls would fall to Chaos before then. How can one withstand an enemy that corrupts you as you kill it? Still their belief is firm, as is that of everyone they interact with. There is enough peaches and medicine for everyone, and rationing and stockpiling is in place so that that will continue even when Chaos next attacks.

Administratum are straight forward when asked about the Rogue Traders. Many had dealt with them personally, though much of their information just ends up being rumors anyway. To start with one isn't technically the warrant holder of his line. He is the younger twin of the current holder, who is currently a hated rival due to an assassination attempt meant to fix that little issue. Said attempt left him cut off from his fortune, but not his renowned and glorious family name (so he claims). He's currently working for a living using his talents as a particularly charismatic pilot to make coin, hoping to soon make significantly more coin. Still that name may mean he can marry into a wealthy noble house should that plan not pan out.

The second is a long held rival to the first. Born from two ancient Trader houses, he claims he was made for a great destiny. Darker rumors claim that he is something of a xenophile with connections to the illegal cold trade, though none saw any true evidence and the one reporting it to you really doesn't want you repeating it to anyone who might get him in trouble for such claims. Lighter rumors say he is charismatic and intelligent, a great leader of men worthy of both houses he was born to. Those who took the time to carouse with him say the claim he was destined for greatness even before being born was entirely true.

Nobody is entirely sure why they're fighting, but everyone knows it started some months ago. The Governor General has promised to squish the fighting should it spill over to those not involved, and so far they've been careful to keep the fighting contained to their two gangs (or have sufficiently hidden the evidence that they hadn't...). Nobody can agree on why the Governor General hasn't stepped in already, most of the current theories are about his daughter. Either side must have either kidnapped or seduced her, according to the rumors. They seem significantly less sure of this than the other rumors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2022, 07:46:56 am »

"I'll be standing by at the shuttle. Which officers do you plan to leave aboard ship for these talks?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2022, 08:19:51 am »

Symonne nodded to herself as she collated the information gathered. She'd have time to get more as the dig progressed, and this was a good start. It seemed as though this planet produced some interesting items that Captain Marco might want to trade for, and the planet was as stable as one could expect in these troubled times (which was to say, teetering on the edge of a local brushfire war). Could be some profit to be made in addition to what the Eldar were offering.

++Lord-Captain, I am sending a preliminary report on the status of Rook's Crown to your terminal now. I regret that I was unable to definitively ID the other trader dynasties present as of yet, but it appears that they are not on good terms with each other.++

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2022, 10:06:15 am »

"I'll be standing by at the shuttle. Which officers do you plan to leave aboard ship for these talks?"

"You and the eldar, Security Chief." The Captain's reply was direct and curt, but not meant to be impolite. Military habits. "This meeting is far too important and even if we tried to conceal your appearance, I've no doubts the Governor's security would demand you take off any extra cloaks."

++Lord-Captain, I am sending a preliminary report on the status of Rook's Crown to your terminal now. I regret that I was unable to definitively ID the other trader dynasties present as of yet, but it appears that they are not on good terms with each other.++

"Has it been confirmed they're both Traders without ships? The last thing we need is a surprise attack by greedy upstarts."

Spoiler: OOC/Actions (click to show/hide)
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2022, 10:39:23 am »

Indaria, not used to social cues despite trying her hardest to adapt to being around people, literally didn't even notice the curtness of the reply. She, as always, simply took it at face value and failed to even notice the undertones. "If you're sure. From the way these people talked, they plan on ignoring it if these traders decide you're competition and want you taken out. At the least I'd like you to bring some armsmen along, just in case."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2022, 01:33:46 pm »

"I will bring armsmen, and you will stay on standby either at the lander or at the Ark, as per your preference."

"And outstanding job guarding the xeno navigator and preventing further injuries."

>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2022, 05:36:34 pm »

"I'm sorry, but I was unable to confirm or deny the possibility. All I have uncovered is that the two traders appear to be feuding with each other, with the Governor-General  threatening to intervene if their battles begin to affect the rest of the colony. If they do have vessels, I would hazard a guess that they have not been involved in the feud as of yet."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2022, 10:07:48 am »

"The intel is invaluable as it is, as it seems unlikely they have a vessel at all, much less one that can match the Ark."

"Send the quartermaster an invitation for trade talks aboard after the meeting with the Governor-General is finished. Our warship might not be as luxurious as the average Trader vessel but I insist on offering our hospitality."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:43:42 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47