Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 17143 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 2
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2022, 01:04:59 pm »

I see, so it requires visualization: Pick up a stick and imagine it and it’s chemical properties and what’s its made of, learned from vague memories of scholars and dusty old rooms with books.

Visualize it turning into a bark covered sword by putting a sword over the image of the stick in my hand.

Continue working on my mana

(I want spellssss)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2022, 10:59:28 pm »

Day 3, turn 9. Windy.

Well, despite that, there are probably ways to notice integral stuff with you main senses.  Can tell density with tanks of water.  Can tell weight with a scale.  Might be able to discover or invent something.

But that sounds like it's the wrong approach.  Magic must use magic.  If I could use this, even a little, I could use it to tell me about itself.

I must be using it a bit when I sense it, then.  Hmm.

I don't know if that makes any sense.  I just don't want to kaboom.

Hypothesis:  I can use the loops if I create an interface.  A way to control them.  This way must use the loops themselves, because it must be magic.

Hypothesis 2.  They respond to my movement, and they respond to things that happen to me.  When I was completely exhausted, they went to my heart, lungs, and noodle muscles.  So.. if I make them concentrate to my sensory organs, say my eyes or my ears, they might start reacting to things I can see or hear.

First, use some grass and a small stick to make a simple whistle.

Then, lets get my magic's attention by warming up.  Similar to before, do stretches and bend over.  Simple exercises, just to get my limbs moving.

When I feel my magic moving with my magical senses, take the next step.

Try to strain my eyes.  Shift focus rapidly.  Put a hand over one eye and roll my other eye, straining to look up, down, left, and right.  Stare hard into the fire, then move into the tent and let them adjust to the darkness.

Try to see if I can get the magic flowing through my eyes.

You... make a whistle, I guess? Not sure how the wood plays in, it's pretty easy to just whistle with a blade of grass. You... pocket the wood for now, to think on the matter. Grass and stick whistle (?) acquired.

Exercise speeds up the usual languid pace of the loops running through your body. Putting strain on your eyes does indeed cause the loops running through them to begin moving faster, though you can't sense any difference in magical vision or anything like that. Just usual eyestrain. Lose 2 hunger.

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

"The process of breaking rocks down can be reversed easily enough with a similar enough mindset to breaking them down. If I can improve that into a proper spell, we won't need nails or mortar for houses. I can also light a stick on fire while I'm holding it, by moving my mana fast enough inside of it, but it takes a lot of mana."

Practice magically partially merging sticks together, trying to create an airtight seal between two straight sticks.
Hmm. No dice. Not sure if it's because rocks are just less complex than wood, or if you're off your game, or if you've overdrawn on mana, or something else entirely. You didn't fail with the act of pulling the mana out in the first place, at least. Lose 2 mana.

Magic sucks, never doing that again.
Dump the shiny rocks in the shack and build the smoker. And eat deer.

The rocks get dumped in the shack.

Many hands make like work, or so you've been told. How many budding mages does it take to build a smoking hut? Three, apparently. Basic construction learned, Genesis Field location updated. Lose 1 deer bit.

Alright, morning has come once more. At least the guys outside haven't skimped on the day-night cycle.

Aaron gets up, does a few stretches, checks the fish he was trying to dry, and decides that there's more to life than fishing.

"Hey, I'm going to go look around this place. Anyone got specific requests?"

Before setting off, he'll visit the equipment shack to grab a sword and shield, as well as some paper and charcoal for a map if they're present. Once that's all done, though, he'll walk off to explore the area, focusing on any requested locations, and recording the spaces he comes across.

(Sorry for the delay, been moving.)

The fish look... dry? They haven't burned, at least. Gain 3 dried(?) bluegill fillet.
The firewood stockpile seems to be running extremely low, by the way. Little was gathered yesterday that wasn't used in construction.

Sword and shield acquired, you wander on down South. The first area seems to be some kinda badlands. The grass thins out, there's some stunty looking tees. Grasshoppers flee before your steps, and various rodents and small animals run from your presence. Nothing terribly interesting in all honesty, though you do note that some of the bank near the river seems kinda soft.

The farther you walk, the more the grass thins out, until you stand on the edge of what seems to be a miniature desert. The air seems charged, and the hairs on your body stand up as you step across the rough boundary between borders. There's normal sand, and even cacti, but the ground crunches beneath your feet in a way sand shouldn't. Portions of the desert seem to be... shifting slowly. A sound like cracking glass fills the air as a dull rumble, and the longer you stay within the boundary, the more you find yourself short of breath. Your head pulses and thunders, each thought a sledgehammer cracking against the inside of your skull. Your vision narrows, voices babble at you in the distance. Limbs twitch intermittently, fingers run up your spine.

Yeah, nope nope nope, so much nope! You leave quickly, before the... whatever it is, knocks you out entirely. Crossing the border makes you feel better,
 but the voices remain, and your thoughts seem... tilted. The sky is a bit too bright, color is too dull or far more vibrant than it should be. Alternately you feel famished and completely stuffed. Gain 3 mana. Locations updated

I see, so it requires visualization: Pick up a stick and imagine it and it’s chemical properties and what’s its made of, learned from vague memories of scholars and dusty old rooms with books.

Visualize it turning into a bark covered sword by putting a sword over the image of the stick in my hand.

Continue working on my mana

(I want spellssss)

((Typically, when people try to learn a skill, they usually stick with learning the basics first. You'll get spells, eventually. Presumably. Or you might liquidate your brain in a failed experiment, who knows.))

Regardless of if you put mana into the stick by drawing it from your core or not, it stubbornly refuses to change. At least you manage to recover the unused mana, rather than letting it dissipate.

Seeing as the stick is utterly unresponsive, you continue practicing pulling a tendril from your core and similar. It seems to be going considerably better! Lose 1 hunger.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2022, 11:57:26 pm »

(The wood is so I have a whistle made from wood which doesn't break in five seconds.  I'll just make that change.)

Since the focus is on my eyes, lets get to work.  Run down to the river and use my reflection, and my notepad, to communicate with my magic.

Theory:  If my magic is in my eyes, it can get input from them.  If my magic can see, I can work on communicating with it.

Draw a caricature of myself.  Keep talking about everything I'm doing, maintain a steady commentary.  Point out parts of my body on my reflection, on my body, and on the drawing, nursery rhyme style.  Write down the words, say them out lound, point them out and put my hand on the relevant body part.. everything I can think of to link all this together.

At the end, try to see if I can get the loops of magic focusing on a part of my body by naming it or by otherwise indicating it.  By words, by touch, by thinking it, by writing it down.. Try each of these methods and see if any of them can let me direct the magic in my body directly.

Use the whistle, and blinking, to indicate correctness.  If it works, I want to provide feedback.

After that is done and the loops have settled down again, head back to the main area.  Take a piece of wood and some rope, and use it to make a rope swing, hung from one of the trees.

Lastly, go meet up with Eli for one last experiment.  Can we sense each other's magic?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:51:23 am by Devastator »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 3
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2022, 03:37:56 pm »

Find an axe, either from the supply shed or from someone who has one, and go into the forest to harvest firewood by felling trees. I intend to spend this turn and the next doing so and hauling it back.
Practice my mana control by holding a loop of mana outside my core while I work.

If there's a wheelbarrow, sled, or anything to help haul the wood back in the shed, take that with me.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2022, 08:29:04 pm »

Aaron stumbles into camp, looking dazed.
South desert sucks. Everything is wonked. Don’t go there.

Just... lay down. Feel the world. Try to deal with the... whatever it is. Become one with the universe or something.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2022, 10:19:17 pm »

<Bender>Well, we're boned.</Bender>

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2022, 10:22:40 pm »

Set some meat smoking. Also try to sense Alice's energy, perhaps through physical contact.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2022, 08:00:23 pm »

(wot, the basics? I’ve been spamming mana actions every turn, booooo, magic is hard, who would’ve thonk it?)

LEARN BASICS OF MAGIC

BE BADASS

ACQUIRE REALITY BREAKING POWERS

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2022, 06:32:09 pm »

Day 3, turn 10. Chilly.

(The wood is so I have a whistle made from wood which doesn't break in five seconds.  I'll just make that change.)

Since the focus is on my eyes, lets get to work.  Run down to the river and use my reflection, and my notepad, to communicate with my magic.

Theory:  If my magic is in my eyes, it can get input from them.  If my magic can see, I can work on communicating with it.

Draw a caricature of myself.  Keep talking about everything I'm doing, maintain a steady commentary.  Point out parts of my body on my reflection, on my body, and on the drawing, nursery rhyme style.  Write down the words, say them out lound, point them out and put my hand on the relevant body part.. everything I can think of to link all this together.

At the end, try to see if I can get the loops of magic focusing on a part of my body by naming it or by otherwise indicating it.  By words, by touch, by thinking it, by writing it down.. Try each of these methods and see if any of them can let me direct the magic in my body directly.

Use the whistle, and blinking, to indicate correctness.  If it works, I want to provide feedback.

After that is done and the loops have settled down again, head back to the main area.  Take a piece of wood and some rope, and use it to make a rope swing, hung from one of the trees.

Lastly, go meet up with Eli for one last experiment.  Can we sense each other's magic?

All of these communication attempts don't really yield results, though that in itself is informative. Physically moving a limb, doing exercise, getting injured, all these things do cause this second magic in your body to flow faster around the relevant parts. It seems utterly unresponsive to thoughts or speech, however. Naming limbs, drawing, talking, none of these things cause the mana to react.

While concentrating on your internal energies you discover a... third? energy floating around in there. This one feels like countless little stars of inert energy dispersed across your entire body. Similar in feel to the first energy, and yet distinctly not. Definitely similar in that it feels... unrealized, more like a potential than something active. It seems to drift along with the currents of your blood, and the flow of the second energy. Things can't ever be simple, apparently. Your head hurts from all this thinking! Lose 3 hunger.

Building the swing is pretty easy, just some simple knots and a bit of wood cut down the middle lengthwise to make a decent seat. You have it up from a younger tree on the edge of the forest. Locations updated.

It seems yes, but also no? Regardless of concentration or physical contact, you both find yourselves incapable of sensing the other's energy. Except for in one particular, very notable instance. If Eli pushes her mana into your arm, you can definitely feel it. A ghostly feeling running down your arm, and you note that the second energy in your body reacts quite aggressively to the intrusion, flowing faster around the area and tearing apart, for lack of a better word, the white shapeless mass of Eli's magic. She lets out a gasp of surprise as she loses control of the tendril.

Find an axe, either from the supply shed or from someone who has one, and go into the forest to harvest firewood by felling trees. I intend to spend this turn and the next doing so and hauling it back.
Practice my mana control by holding a loop of mana outside my core while I work.

If there's a wheelbarrow, sled, or anything to help haul the wood back in the shed, take that with me.

You grab an axe, and head off to chop wood.Add axe to inventory.
Unfortunately, it would seem that lumberjack was not part of your past life's skills. The concentration needed to keep a loop running to the edge of your skin, outside your core, is enough that you fail to actually chop any trees down. Every time you went for a swing, the loop would destabilize and you'd have to focus on holding it steady again.

At least that part progressed well. While no actual wood was chopped, by noon you feel like your mana control is much more stable. You can consistently sense your core without having to drop into a meditative position, and pulling a tendril out grows ever easier and faster. Beginning the process of breaking down a pebble takes only seconds now, rather than minutes, for example. Lose 2 hunger.

Aaron stumbles into camp, looking dazed.
South desert sucks. Everything is wonked. Don’t go there.

Just... lay down. Feel the world. Try to deal with the... whatever it is. Become one with the universe or something.
You wonder if this is the mana poisoning that Mr. Voice In The Sky mentioned. It's all you can do to lie there and resist the call of the voices whispering sweet nothings from the void. You are you, you are Aaron, you are not Jon or Charlie, nope nope nope, Eli does not look tasty, you don't eat people. Gradually, the voices fade, and your thoughts begin to untwist themselves. Hopefully there are no... long term consequences. Lose 3 mana.

Set some meat smoking. Also try to sense Alice's energy, perhaps through physical contact.
You get a fire started in the smoking hut, and hang up all 16 remaining deer bits. Presumably they'll be done later today. Locations updated.

It seems yes, but also no? Regardless of concentration or physical contact, you both find yourselves incapable of sensing the other's energy. Except for in one particular, very notable instance. If you push your mana into Alice's arm, you can definitely feel it. You get a vague sense of some energy running parallel to her blood. It feels quite different to that of the shapeless unformed mass in your core, like it's already in motion and active, rather than waiting for something to give it form. It reacts quite aggressively to the intrusion, flowing faster around the area and tearing apart, for lack of a better word, the white shapeless mass of your mana tendril. You can't help but let out a gasp of surprise as you lose control of the tendril, and what remains of it snaps back to your core.

You realize something, as you're sitting there and meditating in the aftermath. That looping, active energy you felt in Alice is something that you also have. Separate from your core, and running through your body. Lose 1 mana, lose 1 hunger.

(wot, the basics? I’ve been spamming mana actions every turn, booooo, magic is hard, who would’ve thonk it?)

LEARN BASICS OF MAGIC

BE BADASS

ACQUIRE REALITY BREAKING POWERS

((To clarify. This game is supposed to be about you discovering how the magic system works. There's a drastic difference between telling the GM "become god" and telling the dm "using the godhead I managed to bind from the god I killed last turn, ascend to godhood by becoming one with the nascent energy of it." One is you telling me to do a thing and figure out how you do it, and the other is you telling me how *you* are going to do a thing. It's the difference between "make a log cabin" and "use the logs, nails, and other tools I have to begin constructing a cabin" The magic in this is intended to be a slow, deliberate progression, as your characters peel back the veil of ignorance hiding the magic system that I already have figured out. This involves experimentation, and guesses on your part. Don't just tell me the end result, tell me your proposed steps to get to that end result. Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough in the original post, I would have linked the enchanter RTD I had in mind as an example if I'd been able to find it. I suppose it doesn't help that the dice are currently indifferent to your existence, as well.))

Reality breaking powers gotta start somewhere, and so you spend your time practicing more on sensing your core and drawing a tendril from it. Before too long you're distracted from your practice, however, by watching a pair of singing birds on the edge of the forest. Lose 1 hunger.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Apologies for the delay on this turn. There was some deliberation on how exactly I wanted to do... more than half of you, really. Certainly an interesting turn as far as helping me nail down exactly how some of these things work, feel, etc. The new Crypt of the Necrodancer multiplayer dlc certainly didn't help, either. But it's out now, so all well that ends well?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:14:15 pm by johiah »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2022, 06:39:29 pm »

Right. Fuck the south. But there's something like... 5 more directions to be explored, right? Right. And staying here is boring.

Let's try... west, yeah. But let's not keep going west if things start feeling like they did back south.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2022, 08:10:36 pm »

Realize that this is a magical pocket dimension and try to find a magical creature who can just give me magic, there has to be a way, it’s m a g i c.

If I can’t find one, realize that mana is inside my body, try to swirl it around and cut myself to let some blood out, to try to forcefully release mana into the environment to manipulate.

(Hopefully there’s more then one way to do magic? If I try enough, something has to work)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:33:32 pm by Knightwing64 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2022, 09:06:44 pm »

Chop firewood, take two. No playing with magic this time, only backbreaking, non-wizardly work that should really have been left up to the younger people, in retrospect.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2022, 04:33:58 am »

"Okay, three energies, not two.  Maybe four.  Maybe eleventeen."

"And it does react to something.  The other kind of magic.  That's something, at least.  Maybe it eats magic and can do stuff with it.

It's probably not harmful to me.  At least that didn't hurt."

"Gah, this is too complicated.  Lets try one thing at a time."

Going to rename the three kinds of energy to make more sense.
There's The Blob, for the nonmoving static less real mana inside me.
There's The Flow, for the moving internal energy that reacts to my physical behavior.
There's The Sparkles, which are the newly detected pinpricks of starlight.

Hypothesis.  The flow can be fed mana to make it do things.  It needs the blob-type mana to do this.

While on the swing, to keep the flow moving calmly, try to seperate out a small piece of the blob.  Don't try to make a tendril or a rope or a complicated shape, just try to cut off a small piece of it and feed it to the flow

Try to watch if the flow does something with the magic.

After that, go chop some wood myself.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 06:00:30 pm by Devastator »

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2022, 01:57:33 pm »

Oi Egan, do you live?

Edit: For anyone checking back in on this, I'll update Monday or Tuesday. Schedule's a little unsure right now with housemates moving back in before the fall semester starts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:29:16 pm by johiah »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2022, 02:18:39 pm »

I think they are occupied with some RO stuff because they aren’t posting in our mafia game either. You might wanna just make the turn and edit in their action when they post
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12