Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 5  (Read 17126 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2022, 11:31:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Mmm? Oh, I'm still here."

"Good morning everyone! Do any of you recall how to save meat? It seems we'll have extra. I think... you can use salt? Which comes from the ground?"
"Smoking them works. Let me get my fire set back up and I can make that happen."

If provided with the meat (as I suspect I will be), set up the fire and start smoking it for later consumption. Also debone and smoke my remaining fish; they won't stay fresh forever.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2022, 11:32:29 pm »

"Yeah, I'd like to make a better shelter too.  And you can use a drying rack to preserve meat, so I'd like to make one first.  Maybe this.. afternoon?"

Take a knife and a basket or something from the shack before leaving.  Take three meals of Deer Bits too.

"Hmm, that odd catperson, Eli.. she said she could punch through armour?  And the mage guy said we could do anything with magic.  Maybe I should try to do without tools today, using magic instead.  Should be enough food here for another day or two."

"No.. that might not be the right way to think about it."

Take an axe too.

Head back out to the forest.  Try to maintain contact with my magic for the entire trip.  Look for a small tree, as large as I can reasonably drag back.

When I find said tree, use an axe to try and chop it down.  See if I can feel how my magic reacts to that action, if it does at all.  Maybe it responds to physical activity.  Or the lack of physical activity.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:04:42 am by Devastator »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2022, 07:33:10 am »

Strange… I can also do that, but I am having trouble doing anything but manifesting said tendril. At this rate, I’m starting to think being a mage isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I should’ve left a journal for myself on how to use magic.

Snag some deer bits, as I am now freshly out of food.

Try to find something anything that can teach me about how to use this strange magic. If I sadly cannot find anyone, try to connect to nature, maybe that’s a way?

Inspect my robe and carving for any clues on magic and/or my past self.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to learn magic (5/8) Day 2
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2022, 11:43:14 pm »

Morning 2, turn 5. Dew and dawn.

"Good morning everyone! Do any of you recall how to save meat? It seems we'll have extra. I think... you can use salt? Which comes from the ground?"

Have a little adventure, secure in the knowledge that if any beastie messes with me I can just pick it.
Bring enough deer bits to last me the day and auto eat 'em to stay at 10 hunger please! I'll carry it in a bag from the shack, or a makeshift linen sack if there's none.
Look for any unexploited natural resources! Especially ones I can get at with a pick!

Oh a hunch, you follow the river. After much tripping into mud, walking into thorny brambles, and stubbing your toes on rocks, you eventually emerge out the other side of the forest, and find what seems to be... foothills? No mountain, though, the terrain just cuts off in front of you, a slight curve to the edge of the world. It's as if someone just scooped out a spherical chunk of the world, and sealed it off. Only blue void ahead, same as the sky but considerably more disorienting to see in front of and below your feet.

Regardless, this area seems to have a number of shimmery metals embedded in boulders and sitting free on the ground. Looks kinda like a riverbed, actually. Some funky stuff is clearly going on. Seeing as all this walking and falling, mostly the falling, took your whole morning, you stock to have a snack. Locations updated. Gain shoulder bag, gain 4 deer bits, stockpile loses 5. Hunger remains at 10. Lose 1 health.

"Mmm? Oh, I'm still here."

"Smoking them works. Let me get my fire set back up and I can make that happen."

If provided with the meat (as I suspect I will be), set up the fire and start smoking it for later consumption. Also debone and smoke my remaining fish; they won't stay fresh forever.
Something something... smoke? You start on the process of building an enclosure out of sticks, rope, and some of the spare blankets from the shack. Measure twice, cut once, etc. Certainly don't want to make it wrong and potentially burn the blankets. Current plan: Hole in the ground for the fire, place enclosure on top with loose side for entry and exit, a number of sticks running across near the top of the structure that skewered meat will get placed on. Assuming nothing collapses, you could probably have this done by early afternoon. The smoking itself will probably take much longer, though. probably going to need to collect more wood for that, too. You cook your two remaining fish, and munch on a bit while thinking about the project. Basic construction learned. Gain 2 hunger, 2 cooked fillet. Genesis field location updated.

Spoiler: Nathan (click to show/hide)

"Good morning, everyone! I've made a good start on moving my own mana around. I still don't know how to do anything useful with it, but I can move it around my body. I have a big blob of mana in my core that feels tingly. Mana that I'm moving around seems to need to be kept attached by a string of mana, and if I lose concentration it snaps back and hurts in weird ways. Don't do that.

Give me a few minutes and then gather around, if you want to try to sense my mana. I'll be moving it around my hand."

Meditate and repeat last night's exercise of stretching a string of mana into my hand. I'd like to try to make the string into a track, and push a blob of mana up and down each finger following the track, both to refine my control and let the observers try to figure out where the mana is going. Try to help anyone who's having trouble.
It's a good thing no one sticks around to try to sense your mana. You just can't get into the right mindset for some reason this morning, and your mana hardly moves at all.

Giving Amon advice on accessing his own internal store goes much better, however. The descriptions and visualizations seem to be quite helpful. Basic teaching learned. Lose 1 hunger.

"Yeah, I'd like to make a better shelter too.  And you can use a drying rack to preserve meat, so I'd like to make one first.  Maybe this.. afternoon?"

Take a knife and a basket or something from the shack before leaving.  Take three meals of Deer Bits too.

"Hmm, that odd catperson, Eli.. she said she could punch through armour?  And the mage guy said we could do anything with magic.  Maybe I should try to do without tools today, using magic instead.  Should be enough food here for another day or two."

"No.. that might not be the right way to think about it."

Take an axe too.

Head back out to the forest.  Try to maintain contact with my magic for the entire trip.  Look for a small tree, as large as I can reasonably drag back.

When I find said tree, use an axe to try and chop it down.  See if I can feel how my magic reacts to that action, if it does at all.  Maybe it responds to physical activity.  Or the lack of physical activity.

Knife, basket, Deer Bits, and axe are all claimed.
All trying to sense your magic while moving really does is disrupt your concentration on both. Tripping and falling while carrying an axe is a harrowing experience, by the way. You avoided it, but not the rock at face distance. Lose 2 health.

It is a herculean effort for one as small as you, and takes the rest of the morning, but you manage to fell a tree! Sweat beads your brow and your muscles are trembling with exhaustion, but the task is done. Basic chopping learned. Lose 3 hunger. Forest location updated.

Strange… I can also do that, but I am having trouble doing anything but manifesting said tendril. At this rate, I’m starting to think being a mage isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I should’ve left a journal for myself on how to use magic.

Snag some deer bits, as I am now freshly out of food.

Try to find something anything that can teach me about how to use this strange magic. If I sadly cannot find anyone, try to connect to nature, maybe that’s a way?

Inspect my robe and carving for any clues on magic and/or my past self.

You snag some Deer Bits from the pile, and a basket for them from the shed. Gain 4 deer bits, basket.
With Nathan's advice, the feeling of that internal mana pool solidifies, become less of a tingle and more of a... fuzzy blob. You even figure out how to move it around a bit, though Nathan warns against letting any extended mana tendril snap. It's apparently quite painful.

Hmm.... nope. No clues. Unless- oh, that's just a jam stain. There does seem to be a small note tucked into your robes, but all it says is "Remember to avoid any invisible bears!"

Dang, is that your handwriting? It's... kinda bad. Wait. Invisible bears? You continue practicing sensing your mana and shifting it around, though with considerably more paranoia than before.

The voice from yesterday crackles to life once more. "Just finished a lengthy argument with my head researcher. He wants me to warn you about the perils of integrating external mana carelessly, something about how we don't have enough replacements to throw away talented mages to mana madness." The voice sounds muffled, as if he's speaking to someone else. "There, I said it. Not word for word, but close enough. No, I won't let you speak to them. That's not part of the experiment!" Some distorted sounds of objects falling. "Right, that's all for now. Good luck!"

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:06:40 am by johiah »
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2022, 11:57:13 pm »

Let's just go back to fishing for a while, and multitask with trying to get a sense for my internal mana. Because apparently messing with external mana can be a bad idea.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2022, 12:09:08 am »

Toss a rock into the abyss. Does it disappear, bounce, or fall?
Start gathering metals, the ones which are loose or can be easily harvested.
Don't forget to eat.

If I can't carry enough minerals to fill my turn, continue exploring.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2022, 01:12:52 am »

"Yay."

"..And Ouch."

Drink one of my water packages.

Now that I'm tired and my muscles hurt, I should be intensely aware of every movement I make.  Try to feel the magic inside me and begin making gestures along with hand and arm movements.  Does the magic respond to what I'm doing physically?  Point my finger at things, wave my arms around, place them on parts of my body, bend over, lift a leg or two.  Do stretches.  Dance, if I can.  I'm not expecting to accomplish anything this way, but it might react to it.  And that'll tell me if I can do magic with gestures.

After that, try to add in some nonsense words and rhymes.  Does it listen to what I say?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:21:24 pm by Devastator »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2022, 05:48:11 am »

Generally, just try to copy whatever Alice, Nathan or Aaron is doing, in terms of experimenting. Being fresh out of ideas myself. Although, maybe try including words in the gestures, to correspond to what I want it to do?

Set out to make a little hut for myself, being too proud to go into somebody else’s house without being invited.

Be wary of invisible bears and steal some freaking deer bits already

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2022, 08:07:52 am »

Generally, just try to copy whatever Alice, Nathan or Aaron is doing, in terms of experimenting. Being fresh out of ideas myself. Although, maybe try including words in the gestures, to correspond to what I want it to do?

Set out to make a little hut for myself, being too proud to go into somebody else’s house without being invited.

(That was totally my bad, I missed that in your previous action. Updated the previous turn with more Deer Bits™)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2022, 08:10:31 am »

(That was totally my bad, I missed that in your previous action. Updated the previous turn with more Deer Bits™)

Thanks.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2022, 06:34:26 pm »

Work on finishing the meat smoking structure.
Work on improving my mana sensing by trying to maintain a feel for it while I'm distracted by construction tasks.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2022, 11:45:41 pm »

Day 2, turn 6. Clear.

Let's just go back to fishing for a while, and multitask with trying to get a sense for my internal mana. Because apparently messing with external mana can be a bad idea.

No fish get caught, and the one bite that you do get results in your line snapping. You have a couple replacement hooks, but still. Annoying, and a finite resource. At least for now, you suppose.

The meditation goes considerably better. Based on snatches of discussion from the others, and the peaceful gurgling of the river helping your focus, you're soon able to sense a vague fuzzy blob of energy floating somewhere central inside you. Lose 2 hunger.

Toss a rock into the abyss. Does it disappear, bounce, or fall?
Start gathering metals, the ones which are loose or can be easily harvested.
Don't forget to eat.

If I can't carry enough minerals to fill my turn, continue exploring.

The rock just hits an invisible something and falls back down to the ground. Hmm.

You don't even need the pickaxe, really. There's a ton of loosely lying rocks of various levels of glimmery. No real idea what exactly the shiny is, but you're pretty sure it's not just rocks or salt or something. You munch on a deer bit while contemplating the subject. Gain bag full of ?? rocks. Lose 1 deer bit. Basic foraging learned.

"Yay."

"..And Ouch."

Drink one of my water packages.

Now that I'm tired and my muscles hurt, I should be intensely aware of every movement I make.  Try to feel the magic inside me and begin making gestures along with hand and arm movements.  Does the magic respond to what I'm doing physically?  Point my finger at things, wave my arms around, place them on parts of my body, bend over, lift a leg or two.  Do stretches.  Dance, if I can.  I'm not expecting to accomplish anything this way, but it might react to it.  And that'll tell me if I can do magic with gestures.

After that, try to add in some nonsense words and rhymes.  Does it listen to what I say?

Water pouch has been slurped. Lose 1 water pouch
Hrm. Nothing just yet, doesn't feel like that ball is really doing much of anything, regardless of your physical motions. Maybe a little bit of wiggling.

As you keep trying though, you notice something very interesting. There's a second, fainter sense of energy inside your body. This one does move with your physical motions, and it seems to be naturally flowing around in loops through you, at least from the glimmers you see from it. It feels more... real, than the blob at your center. Like it's already in use, and harder to sense because its more integrated into your body. The dancing is a little bit beyond your current muscles, by the way. Wet noodles don't dance terribly well. Lose 2 hunger.

You practice more with sensing your core faster, and practice with pulling a tendril out faster. You seem to be getting a better handle on how fast you can tease the energy out without snapping it.

You're so distracted by all the tingly sensations and cool !magic! that is happening, that you completely forget to work on the hut, and instead spend your time fantasizing about the epic wizard powers you're going to get. Lose 3 hunger.

Work on finishing the meat smoking structure.
Work on improving my mana sensing by trying to maintain a feel for it while I'm distracted by construction tasks.

Intuiting what Aaron intended takes some time, as does remeasuring things. The pit is dug, and the tent itself is mostly done. Genesis field location updated. Basic construction learned.

Sensing your core while working on the building and measuring goes fairly well. By the end of four hours, you're able to make and maintain a small loop just outside the surface of your core, all while making measurements and tying knots. Lose 2 hunger.

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2022, 11:54:12 pm »

Hmm. This place seems nice and quiet, without distractions. Find a high spot to sit and meditate while watching the world.
...Can I see any higher places from here?

See if I can induce that tingling people talked about. If I can, slowly let some of my energy into a shiny rock.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2022, 01:42:50 am »

"Okay.  So it does have to move around.  But maybe not quite like I'm doing it, hmm.."

Eat up and rest for a while to try and recover wounds.  alternate between deer meat and pears.

While resting, write some stuff down about what's going on, like a diary.  Maybe the magic can read.  I read with my eyes after all, and my eyes are part of me, so why not?  Does it respond to stuff being written down?

Just jot down general notes on the first few days, what I've been doing with magic, how I want to build a cabin eventually.

Then, drag the tree down near my tent.  Chop off its branches, and try to complete the drying rack with more sticks.  I'll probably need more.. and larger.. trees for a cabin, but I'll worry about that later.

Or maybe magic can help.  Hmm.

"Who wanted some help with an experiment?"

Hypothesis: Magic can work over time, if I provide it with clear directions or an onrunning spell for it to work.  I don't really know how to cast spells, but..

as the last thing before I go to bed, limber up some with stretches and such.  After doing this, make a loop with my body, hands to my toes, either standing up or lying down.  Try to go to sleep when curled up into a ball.. it'll allow for more loop.  Stick to just movements.. I'll test spoken and written spells next, regardless of if this works.

So limber up, make loops, limber up, make loops.. and then sleep in a ball to hopefully get my magic to do something.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 02:59:29 am by Devastator »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2022, 08:10:50 am »

Hmn... to try to prepare better for later, how about we go out to get some wood and plant fibers to see about trying our hand at carving replacement hooks and making new fishing line? It can't be that hard, right? I know what they both look like...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12