Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 18960 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Expansion III)
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2022, 02:05:50 pm »

ok, from discussion on Discord I learned that a new settlement doesn't make the wood shortage worse (if we use a wood token), but it doesn't solve it either.

So I propose we use the expansion phase to win back another resource: stone.

Quote from: That is Our stone!
Currently one of our two stone income is blocked by lions. With the power of our bows we can teach them a lesson: the apex predator of the Savannah walks on two legs. Let's use the Expansion phase to win back our stone!

Quote from: Major Votebox
Expand 47-C: (1) m1895
Expand 47-C and use a Wood Token: (0)
Expand 47-B and use a Wood Token: (2.1) Minors, Powder Miner
Primitive Salterns: (1) NUKE9.13
That is Our stone!: (0)
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Expand 47-B and use a Wood Token: (2) Taricus, Doomblade
Expand 47-C and use a Wood Token: (1) hector13
Primitive Salterns:
That is Our stone!: (1) Quarque

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2022, 02:18:32 pm »

Ultimately this is probably the most useful thing to do this turn; giving us some security should help to increase population as well.
Expand 47-B and use a Wood Token: (1.1) Minors
Primitive Salterns: (1) NUKE9.13
That is Our stone!: (1) Powder Miner
Primitive Salterns:

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2022, 02:38:53 pm »

5-string Woodsinger
The woodsongs have become an integral part of our culture, so it's no surprise that the instruments that accompany them have become more advanced with time.
The 5-string was created by collaboration from hunter-musicians, seedkeepers, and woodworkers. A long neck with bowstrings tied at decreasing lengths ending in a circular wooden frame tightly covered with animal hide. The strings all end at the same point on the 5-string. This gives each string a different length and therefore a different pitch.

eh fuck it I'm done with this

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2022, 10:49:00 am »

Get yer votes in, scrub plebes. Or argue for your preference. Or something that’ll potentially make things more decisive so I can get to work on the update sooner and with less guilt. Last thing I need it so push the game forward and one of you dies so I get haunted because your unfinished business is with my game.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2022, 10:50:44 am »

All the majors have voted and the rules state that a tie is broken by the minors.

If anyone has a problem with it they should’ve made a better argument.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2022, 11:24:10 am »

What is the reason people are still voting for new settlements?

Building a new settlement doesn't help to solve the wood shortage. It only increases the wood upkeep we need for houses, as well as any other upkeeps we may need to pay later. In order to gain more wood we need to Exploit wood on either tile. That doesn't require a settlement.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2022, 11:29:02 am »

Better this than a useless settlement.
Expand 47-B and use a Wood Token: (1.1) Minors
Primitive Salterns: ()
That is Our stone!: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Primitive Salterns:
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2022, 12:20:42 pm »

And how would this settlement be useless exactly?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2022, 12:54:08 am »

And how would this settlement be useless exactly?
Literally the post before mine:
What is the reason people are still voting for new settlements?

Building a new settlement doesn't help to solve the wood shortage. It only increases the wood upkeep we need for houses, as well as any other upkeeps we may need to pay later. In order to gain more wood we need to Exploit wood on either tile. That doesn't require a settlement.
A settlement is Wood-neutral, since the upkeep and the Wood tolen cancel out. WE DO NOT NEED A SETTLEMENT TO HARVEST STUFF WITHIN OUR BORDERS. Thus, the only thing a settlement within our borders will do for us right now is expand the borders a little bit- but we already have enough stuff to Exploit, we do not need more land.
Founding another settlement is a waste of an action.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2022, 03:13:59 pm »

Yes, the wood token cancels out. However, the tile being colonised has *another* source of wood. And I'd like to remind you that we kinda are facing a wood shortage so if we can bag two wood in one action we should definitely do it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2022, 03:43:16 pm »

Yes, the wood token cancels out. However, the tile being colonised has *another* source of wood. And I'd like to remind you that we kinda are facing a wood shortage so if we can bag two wood in one action we should definitely do it.
...settlements don't auto-exploit.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation III)
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2022, 12:12:13 am »

Expansion III: One Last Gasp (Roll: And spoil the results? Not for combat, nerds!)

The Baobabi have been forced into a lifestyle of fear. Even with their successes they still knew that, at the end of the day, they were prey. Led by the rallying cry of a Minor Founder (Quarque +1I), a large group of Baobabi Hunter-Warriors set out to put an end to the Maneater Pride and this era of trepidation.

A core of tribesfolk using spears and bolas were supported by a smaller group of the best archers the tribe didn't have out on hunts. When camping at night they made use of multiple watch shifts, ensuring that the Maneaters never caught the group unaware. Their first night within 49-C saw them endure one such attempted ambush. Two younger lions had been stalking the party of well over two dozen individuals and attempted to pick one off as they neared unflattened grasses. They did maul the guy, but were not able to drag him away nor did they escape without injury to themselves. One of the lions was hit by an arrow and limped off while the second was jabbed in the belly by the hunter it had pinned in the dirt. The wounded beast was struck down by a flurry of follow-up blows from other hunters, collapsing with the twitch of a massive paw next to the dying hunter.

Undeterred, the party continued their trek to the Maneater Pride's lair with a trail of lion's blood as a guide. It was late in the afternoon the majority of the beasts were resting in the shadow cast by their plateau. Arrows were let loose from the bowmen first, having set down and untied their bundles of arrows while the spearmen stalked ever closer. The Pride had grown in size, but not incredibly so, and so the few arrows that struck their relaxing targets still had quite the impact on the battle. Most of the spearmen had arranged themselves in a semicircle and charged in as the lions scrambled to their feet. A few lions charged their attackers, but the creatures were outnumbered more than 2-to-1 against the spearmen alone and the bolas were incredibly helpful in dampening a lion's charge even if they didn't get completely tangled. Most of the lions, faced with an incredible and sudden threat, retreated to the eastern slope where the rest of the warband made their presence known. The spearmen used the tools of their trade to "persuade" the lions to flee up to their pack leader's overlook, trapping the remaining adult lions while their offspring were dispatched with a spearthrust or two. The painful wails of the cubs sent one lioness into a frenzy as she tried to leap from the overlook down the cliff face, but she lost footing halfway down and bounced off the rocks onto her back with a sickening thwack. The furious creature swiped weakly with a forward paw as hunters approached her otherwise immobilized body to finish her off.

The rest of the lions were forced to face their attackers as the Baobabi spearmen slowly moved up the slope and the bowmen repositioned to the neighboring plateau. What followed was an incredible slaughter. The lions, caught between a cliff they couldn't scale, arrows arcing in from above, and a line of spear-and-bolas, had little choice but to charge the spearmen to preserve their own lives. With their numbers whittling away, the charge of the leader of the pride was one of sheer desperation. Even with a pair of arrows stuck in his side and back the thick-maned beast evaded multiple bolas and speartips to rip its claws into a hunter and punched a hole into the line of spears. Seeing even a brief window to escape, the large cats still standing tried to flee through the gap and the Baobabi line devolved into a chaotic brawl of man-vs-beast. The lead lion pushed through, but the others were bogged down by the numerically superior and better equipped (one would hope) hunters. The massive creature limped off, covered in the blood of lion and man, before collapsing in a small cloud of dust at the base of the slope largely unnoticed by the preoccupied hunters.

The lions were quick to fall in this last act of desperation, slaughtered to the last by the vengeful Baobabi people. The last to die was the leader of the pride himself. His chest puffed rapidly with its short, pained, wheezing breaths until one of the hunters walked up, muttered something that roughly translates to "There could have been peace", and landed a solid spearthrust that struck through the creature's heart. One last gasp burst forth from the beast to mark your peoples' own ability to breathe freely.

The Baobabi made use of a significant amount of Guarri Bark Paste, providing quick if very basic medical attention to those wounded in the field. The hunters then took to field dressing the lions, gathering the meat, bones, and pelts to show off back home. While the meat was eaten and the skins used for clothing, the Lion's Skull, taken from the leader of the Maneater Pride, was a symbol of prestige passed down from hunter to hunter to represent the most skilled and successful of their number. The Lion's Skull provided the wearer with a remarkable amount of influence, even outside of the sphere of hunting. As time passed, the Lion's Skull became a symbol of leadership.

The rest of the bones were strung up from the branches of The Baobab. The savannah winds often rattled the lion remains, an ever-present reminder of the Baobabi peoples' ability to overcome foes and conquer their fears.

The Baobab is now referred to as The Baobab of Bones. Both The Baobab of Bones and the Lion's Skull do not provide any mechanical bonuses themselves, but provide foundations that can be worked off of as your society continues to grow.

The Maneater Pride is no more. The Stone Upkeep required to keep them at bay is no longer required.

With no immediate threats to their existence in sight, your people were able to settle into the more routine, peaceful lifestyles that being the top of the food chain allowed. This led to a slight increase in the rate of population growth which could soon push the Baobabi into an era where living off of the local flora would no longer be viable. (That is to say, in mechanical terms, there be Food Upkeep
on the horizon so long as the d10 is merciful)

(Also: the roll was a 7)

It is now the Exploitation Phase. Remember that you can choose, at present, a single resource to begin exploiting, or propose a development that would facilitate or build upon your ability to gather, identify, or otherwise interact with the resources of the world around you.

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tokens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Master List (click to show/hide)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation III)
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2022, 12:21:49 am »

I was debating between this and proposing the Primitive Mining (think tribal herblore for rocks) action I might well go for in Experimentation instead, but ultimately I would like to make Primitive Mining increase how much Clay we get from the, well, Clay once we've exploited it, and if I want it to be actually useful for that purpose, then while I can vote for exploiting clay this phase and experimentally making Primitive Mining next phase, and I can make Primitive Mining this phase, I can't vote for Exploiting Clay next phase.

WAIT WE NEED WOOD FOR MY BOWS FUCK
Exploit Clay: (0)
Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (1) Powder Miner
Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (0)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 12:32:18 am by Powder Miner »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2022, 12:42:01 am »

Ostriches should be a lot easier to tame than lions.
Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (1) Powder Miner
Domesticate Ostriches: (1) m1895
Quote from: Peasant Votebox
Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (0)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2022, 12:47:11 am »

I was gonna say brah :p

However, efficiency might be a better idea at this point, since we don’t appear to be in mortal peril from lions, and will last us forever :o

Division of labour will allow efficient exploitation of resources while being gathered, and processed back home, and allow the more experienced/skilled members to use more of their time for more challenging tasks, like cutting down trees safely, or gathering stone, or making masterwork bows, while the less experienced/skilled can move the resources as needed, and learn the tasks and skills needed to be good at exploiting I’m the mean time.

Has the added benefit of being useful for everything we do now, and everything we will think to do in the future!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28