Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 18957 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation II)
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2022, 01:47:45 pm »

Exploit Clay

Domesticating animals is fun, but I feel this is the moment to start learning the basics of ceramics as well. Then again, "exploit clay" is a little vague. If you can be more specific, I will jump in as a minor to vote for it. My 2 cents: with basic firemaking tools we could make decorative figures (possibly adding bone), or we could make primitive pots - however, smooth round shapes would have to wait until we invent the wheel. Not sure if we could make bricks yet. So.. what did you have in mind?

Also, fun detail: if I recall correctly, the specific available clay is red?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2022, 02:17:50 pm »

Exploit Clay

Domesticating animals is fun, but I feel this is the moment to start learning the basics of ceramics as well. Then again, "exploit clay" is a little vague. If you can be more specific, I will jump in as a minor to vote for it. My 2 cents: with basic firemaking tools we could make decorative figures (possibly adding bone), or we could make primitive pots - however, smooth round shapes would have to wait until we invent the wheel. Not sure if we could make bricks yet. So.. what did you have in mind?

Also, fun detail: if I recall correctly, the specific available clay is red?
Exploit is a specific action type that gives us access to the resource for use later. Once we have it, we can develop pottery with it. We could develop pottery without Exploiting the clay first, but that would be less effective, and we'd have to Exploit the clay anyway to use the pottery tech.
There is no need to expand on it, because it's a very simple action. We say Exploit Clay, and the Clay deposit becomes Exploited. (Actually, technically we are supposed to specify a deposit, but as there is only one clay-bearing deposit we know of, it's obvious which one is meant)

If we want to, that is. I prefer lions, because clay doesn't need to undergo a genetic shift to be malleable- it'll be the same clay whether we get it now or in a thousand years.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 02:23:55 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2022, 02:24:44 pm »

Quote from: Major Votebox
Exploit Clay: (1) m1895
Beasts of Burden: (1.1) MINORS
Domesticate Lions: (1) NUKE9.13
Domestication of Elephants: (1) Powder Miner
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden: (1) Doomblade
Domesticate Lions:
Domestication of Elephants:
Quote from: Name Votebox
People of the Baobab/Baobabi (demonym): (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Nothing for now: (0)

M pointed out in the Discord that Wildebeests aren’t really terribly domesticatable, no more than, like, elephants; and in fact I don’t think we really have any animals we’ve found so far that are prone to domestication on a generational basis, so whichever option we find is gonna be difficult.

SO FUCK IT LET’S GO FOR THE PRIZE (it’s not lions, lions are not the prize)

Domestication of Elephants
The domestication attempts our people made with the lions of the savannah were based upon a particular principle - that humans are not naturally the superiors of animals, and that we need to come to an understanding with them. There is no greater creature for this to apply to than the elephant - a being of truly massive strength but also, some of those who come into contact with them note, great intelligence. Surely, if there is any animal we can come into an understanding with, it is these intelligent giants; we can reach either a bond of mutual respect, or become great foes indeed. We enclose elephants we wish to domesticate in large stone barriers centered around the strongest trees in the area, and treat them with great respect. However, if they become suddenly extremely aggressive, as we observe in this process some males doing, they are treated as we would treat one of our people going on an attempted homicidal rampage; if they are to stay, they will need to be kept on a harsh isolation tied to a tree (if we can get to them early enough to manage it) without food or water, until the madness passes.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2022, 02:49:47 pm »

Exploit is a specific action type that gives us access to the resource for use later. Once we have it, we can develop pottery with it. We could develop pottery without Exploiting the clay first, but that would be less effective, and we'd have to Exploit the clay anyway to use the pottery tech.
There is no need to expand on it, because it's a very simple action. We say Exploit Clay, and the Clay deposit becomes Exploited. (Actually, technically we are supposed to specify a deposit, but as there is only one clay-bearing deposit we know of, it's obvious which one is meant)

If we want to, that is. I prefer lions, because clay doesn't need to undergo a genetic shift to be malleable- it'll be the same clay whether we get it now or in a thousand years.
ok, thanks for explaining.

hmm difficult choice then. Exploiting clay to use it more effectively later sounds massively practical, but getting an early start on a breeding program would be great as well.

Powder Miner, it seems the Beasts of Burden proposal is also about taming elephants, or is there an important difference?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2022, 03:23:27 pm »

There was sort of a whole awkward thing where the Beasts of Burden proposal was originally a wildebeest proposal but was edited to be about elephants without being announced; it has since been edited a few times, and what has resulted is that Beasts of Burden is about trying to develop beasts of burden and using elephants as that baseline beast, whereas Domestication of Elephants is more specialty domestication of elephants, seeking to deal with potential problems like musth (sometimes male elephants go into this testosterone rage stage) and trying to develop a relationship with very particularly elephants. I would currently characterize it as “do you really really care about beasts of burden or do you really really care about elephant buddies”.

Actually Beasts of Burden was edited again - it just isn't about elephants anymore, just about developing beasts of burden.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:26:17 pm by Powder Miner »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2022, 03:25:56 pm »

There was sort of a whole awkward thing where the Beasts of Burden proposal was originally a wildebeest proposal but was edited to be about elephants without being announced; it has since been edited a few times, and what has resulted is that Beasts of Burden is about trying to develop beasts of burden and using elephants as that baseline beast, whereas Domestication of Elephants is more specialty domestication of elephants, seeking to deal with potential problems like musth (sometimes male elephants go into this testosterone rage stage) and trying to develop a relationship with very particularly elephants. I would currently characterize it as “do you really really care about beasts of burden or do you really really care about elephant buddies”.
Due to the implied overlap between our proposals, i have reworked it to be "General domestication aimed at animal labor"
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2022, 03:27:28 pm »

The main trouble with domestication proposals is that we don't have any animals that are especially domesticatable within our area of influence.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2022, 03:30:44 pm »

The main trouble with domestication proposals is that we don't have any animals that are especially domesticatable within our area of influence.
It will create a technology that we can use as we move and exploit resources.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2022, 03:52:07 pm »

Exploit Clay: (1) m1895
Beasts of Burden: (0)
Domesticate Lions: (2.1) NUKE9.13, MINORS
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
Domesticate Lions: (1) Doomblade

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2022, 03:54:54 pm »

Eh fuck it, not like it causes me any issues if it goes tits up.
Exploit Clay: ()  :(
Beasts of Burden: (0)
Domesticate Lions: (3.1) NUKE9.13, MINORS, m1895
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
[/quote]

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2022, 03:56:52 pm »

After checking on google that cats aren´t the result of breeding domesticated lions (yeah I had to look it up :-[), I think you have a fair point.

Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
Domesticate Lions: (2) NUKE9.13, m1895
Exploit Clay: (1) quarque
Beasts of Burden:

Am I doing this right? The minor votebox is now tied, so it doesn't appear in the Major box, correct?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2022, 04:17:51 pm »

Yep! That's how that works, re: the voteboxes.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2022, 04:18:37 pm »

Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
Domesticate Lions: (2) NUKE9.13, m1895
Exploit Clay: (1) quarque
Beasts of Burden: (1) Doomblade
Domesticate Lions:

If you're concerned about lions being viable, i suggest we start smaller with a more developed domestication technology.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2022, 04:37:22 pm »

Eh, you know what? I’ll play. Might as well try my hand at another arm race while I wait for nuke’s brain juices to flow.

Lemme just get caught up on the story

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2022, 04:44:41 pm »

Imma just wait for the next turn to start before doing anything 😅
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28