Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 18929 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation 1)
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2022, 04:19:06 pm »

Quote from: Major Votebox
Tribal Herblore: (2) MINORS, a1s
Animal Tracking: (2) m1895, Taricus
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Tribal Herblore: (2) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
Exploit Elephants:
Animal Tracking: (1) Doomblade
Spear Throwers:
Fixing voteboxes.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2022, 05:10:31 pm »

Just need a couple more minor votes before I feel like things are represented fairly before moving on, but if we don’t get any or we get another one or two for the leading proposal then I won’t let it hold us back

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2022, 02:40:11 am »

Tribal Herblore: (3) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Lightforger
Exploit Elephants:
Spear Throwers:

Sketchykeeps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2022, 12:09:12 pm »

Tribal Herblore: (3) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Lightforger, SketchyKeeps
Exploit Elephants:
Spear Throwers:

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2022, 04:08:39 pm »

Tribal Herblore: (4) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Lightforger, SketchyKeeps, Doomblade
Exploit Elephants:
Animal Tracking:
Spear Throwers:
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation 1)
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2022, 12:20:31 pm »

Exploitation I: The Herbalism Boom Roll:10

With some more permanent homes set up, the tribespeople had plenty of time to familiarize themselves with the local flora like never before. While your people had fairly solid knowledge on some very obvious fruits and how to identify some root vegetables, a small handful of tribespeople led by a Minor Founder (Nuke9.13 +1I) set about identifying the properties of the wide variety of plants they came across on a semiregular basis. Word of mouth saw these teachings passed down, often in the form of a song, and these catchy if somewhat inelegant vocalizations made memorization all the easier. Even if one did not specifically follow the path of the shaman, just about everyone knew the basic identifiers for Common Guarri, a tree with edible berries and medicinal bark that could ease headaches when chewed on. In fact, your people had songs about every tree in the region that expressed their ability to also provide either Food or Chemical in addition to Wood. Chemical resources may also otherwise be discovered on the map and may be used as upkeep for everything from natural remedies to synthesized narcotics to a well-maintained medical service or pesticides. The pool of additional resources may grow or change based on the environment and the knowledge of your people as time goes on.

Technology Discovered: Societal Herbalism

Technology Discovered: Primitive Dendrology

Technology Discovered: Guarri Bark Paste

The Acacia Grove in 47-D now additionally produces Food.

Guarri Bark Paste is the most prominent concoction to come out of the tribe's initial foray into herbalism. The bark is ground up and mixed with water until it becomes a dense wet mash, and is slathered across scrapes, cuts, and other minor wounds to act as a mild painkiller. It also reduces the risk of infection.

Your people also paid close attention to the seasonal growth of the local herbs and foodage, and the more observant among the tribe noted the means with which the various plants propagated. A new job within the tribe arose: Seedkeeper. Seedkeepers mimicked the animals the local flora usually used to spread, collecting seeds and seed pods and spreading them wherever they may go. Seedkeepers provide the tribe with two Wood Tokens, which can be used when expanding to add a Wood Resource in that zone.

Technology Discovered: Seedkeepers

With all these changes occurring so rapidly, your people have had to rapidly adjust as well. While your people still have something of a wanderlust, the need to migrate with a herd of animals is reduced with the rising dependency on generally immobile flora. The adoption of this new lifestyle marked the first time in the history of your people that more people had settled into generally permanent  tent villages than remained migratory.

It is now the Experimentation Phase. This will represent the largest potential leap in knowledge that your people will have in a turn. Unlike the other phases, proposals for new advancements in the Experimentation Phase do not need to be directly related to an existing technology or piece of knowledge. These proposals are meant to be your steps into or creation of new fields of research and industry - metalworking, democracy, and nuclear power are all likely things you will be able to do during as Experiments. Keep in mind though that while the new knowledge does not need to be directly connected, you still need to build proper foundations. Trying to make a space shuttle before you grasp sailing might be a little odd, and making a submarine before you can utilize metals might be even odder. These crazy things may still be possible, but your society is going to need to develop in such a way that a nonmetal submarine is a viable and sane idea that the population would be willing to adopt. And remember, chosen proposals in this phase give 2 Influence as opposed to 1!

GM Note: Don't expect so much to come from your advancements every phase. You guys just got lucky with a max roll on your first one. Rolls this high will always drastically impact your society.

As always, feel free to ask me about the viability of proposals or any other questions you may have here or in the discord server linked in the OP!

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Regions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tokens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Master List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:22:45 pm by Man of Paper »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation 1)
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2022, 01:43:48 pm »

Pottery
The discovery of the clay deposit in (48-C) has lead to more than a few tribespeople toying with the substance. As time passes and knowledge of the material is gleaned (And an accident when a glob of clay is accidentally lobbed into a fire), a basic culture of earthworking begins to develop around crafting simple objects such as effigies and primitive vessels for storing things inside of.

GOAL: Develop primitive pottery
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2022, 02:44:46 pm »

Woodworking seems like a pretty germane choice of technology to get into, both because we're about to have a shitload of it, but because other technologies such as pottery are significantly more difficult without having exploited clay first.

Woodcutters and Woodshapers

With knowledge of the local trees and shrubs, and a sudden cornucopic access to wood, it wasn't very long at all before members of the tribe got to experimenting with finding ways to use wood more usefully, to advance beyond the use of simple sticks and branches. Accordingly, processes for woodworking (physically strenuous with the tools the tribe had access to) became more advanced and specialized - but they also became more ritualized as time went on.

Typically, the specializations for woodworking fell into two varieties. There are woodcutters (who are kept very much busy by this trade; cutting off branches is relatively easy, but taking down a whole tree with a stone axe is a time-consuming endeavor vastly improved by knowledge of technique), and then there are woodshapers (who use knives and other finer tools to split wood, carve it into useful forms, and/or smooth it). These tasks are difficult tasks that require a lot of careful cutting with stone tools; accordingly, the ritualistic nature of these trades included working along a slow, practiced rhythm that avoided too much strain on the woodworker but could complete a task in a sufficiently quick manner. This rhythm was said to be the "heartbeat" of the world, with woodworkers tapping into their place in the rhythm of the world's movement.

Of course, there are multiple expected benefits from woodworking - buildings in the increasingly settled villages of the tribe could be made at least partially out of wood, and the tools that the tribe used could become significantly less primitive; they still consisted of wood and stone, but the advent of woodworking allowed for more complicated forms and tools that were sturdier, easier to hold, and easier to use.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2022, 03:35:41 pm »

Shouldn't Nuke be a major now?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2022, 03:39:29 pm »

Nope, it happens at the end of the turn.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2022, 04:06:40 pm »

And to make matters worse (for myself), I'm probably going to vote for Powder's suggestion, which would put him in the lead- and only one Minor can be promoted each turn. I'm not very good at being cutthroat.

But I'll hold off on making a votebox for a little bit longer, just to give more time for alternative proposals.
Long Live United Forenia!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2022, 04:17:07 pm »

I will admit I'm not doing as well at this game as I hoped (I have several other games, two of which I run) so if you need someone to voluntarily step down at the end of the turn (all majors have 1 point, I think) I can be that player.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2022, 04:20:31 pm »

Nah, you're right, I'm happy enough to step down myself.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2022, 04:24:50 pm »

No need to fight, both of you could step down.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2022, 04:27:01 pm »

Oof, players fighting to be the first to step down sure is good for the confidence gland.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28