Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 18953 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation III)
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2022, 12:48:32 am »

Quote from: Major Votebox
Exploit Clay: (0)
Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (1) Powder Miner
Domesticate Ostriches: (1) m1895
Division of Labour:(1.1) Minors
Quote from: Peasant Votebox
Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (0)
Domesticate Ostriches: (0)
Division of Labour:(1) hector13
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2022, 12:52:28 am »

Division of labor could use both a clearly demarcated proposal and just... some specifics, I think.
There are already specialized hunters (by default) as well as specialized woodcutters, specialized woodworkers, and specialized, uh, kind-of-plant-growers-or-something, due to the exacts of my Woodcutters and Woodshapers proposal that gave us wood tech.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2022, 12:55:30 am »

I agree our immediate need is wood, really want to keep getting the full benefit from those awesome bows.

Instead of exploiting the rubber trees from 47-C, I'll post the alternative of exploiting the Marula Tree Grove from 47-B.

Division of Labour: (0)
Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (0)
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Division of Labour: (1) Hector
Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (1) Quarque

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2022, 12:58:51 am »

Well in terms of woodcutting you can have people telling trees, people then de-barking and/or de-limbing trees since I think your bows required bark and branches? I’m not entirely sure how we’re moving the trees at that point (I was initially just going to suggest rafts ‘cause of the river but we weren’t exploring trees along it’s route her) but we could have people doing that.

In terms of making bows, you could have one person actually making the bow and another person stringing them, same with fletching arrows, one person doing arrowheads whole another does the shaft and flight (I think that’s what the feathers are called yes?)

Basically the idea is that there are multiple steps to many of the things we’re doing, and allowing the people who are better at the “skill” parts to dedicate more of their time to doing those parts will result in higher quality work, while allowing other people to learn the basics doing less skilled parts, or watching the skilled workers perform once they’ve done the heavy labour.

Edit: in the short- to medium-term it was mostly about better exploiting the things we’re exploiting so far, and essentially as a basis for future exploitation and skilled labour in the longer-term
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:03:42 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2022, 01:15:29 am »

Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (0)
Exploit Clay: (1) Lightforger
Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (1) Quarque
Being able to store the fruits of agriculture is arguably just as useful as agriculture itself.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:25:10 am by Light forger »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2022, 01:23:41 am »

Your votebox is incomplete, it is missing three options that have already been voted for.

Tip of the day: insert the latest votebox that was posted and add your own vote to prevent this error. ;)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2022, 01:23:57 am »

Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (1.1) Minors
Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (2) Quarque, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2022, 01:41:39 am »

Coppicing
One morning while walking past one of the areas clear-cut for wood, a woodcutter noticed new shoots sprouting up out of the stumps left behind. After speaking with a seedkeeper, they gathered together their respective classes, plus some woodshapers, to discuss what to do with this.
After much discussion, it was decided that certain woodshapers would manage these growths until they could be harvested by woodcutters. This provided a great boon for the Baobabi, as they could now get more wood per wood.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2022, 02:01:50 am »

That’s just division of labour but for one resource. Division of labour would work with all resources, now and for the future!

Just think of all the extra time we’d be saving getting more stuff for less work!

We could use the excess wood and stone to set up a track and do some chocobo ostrich racing!

We could have guys sitting around a fire saying things like:

Baobabi 1: “I domesticated an ostrich this big.” *holds hands out*

Baobabi 2: “Well, I domesticated an ostrich this big.” *holds hands out wider*

Baobabi 3: “Really? I domesticated an ostrich this big!” *stands up and stretches hands out even wider*

Baobabi 1: “Oh yeah? Your mum’s an ostrich.”

Baobabi 4: “Hold my ostrich milk.” *punches ostrich and gets kicked to death because really why would you do that*

Baobabi Darwin: “It’s good they can’t have children oh I’m halfway to the theory of evolution.”

Think of the possibilities!

yes I know you can’t milk an ostrich

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2022, 02:15:44 am »

Exploit Rubber Tree Copse: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (1.1) Minors
Exploit Marula Tree Grove: (2) Quarque, Taricus
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2022, 09:52:19 pm »

Get any last words in now, my dudes. I'll be doing the thing at some point in the near future.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2022, 09:53:12 pm »

Your mum is an ostrich.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2022, 09:56:11 pm »

I'mma have to ask you to not do that.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2022, 02:19:27 am »

I understand the lure of gaining rubber as a starting point for chemics along with wood.

Still, I feel I need to point out that rubber trees are an exceptionally bad source of wood. It is so susceptible to insect attacks and fungus that historically, the wood was considered useless and burnt at the end of the lifecycle of the trees. Only in 1980 did people develop a chemical protective that makes it possible to use those trees as a functional wood source at all, but only for indoor applications. Houses made out of this type of wood would rot away real quick and bows would just break in reality.

See the wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubberwood

Now I know, this is a fantasy game and not a reality simulator... it's just that I find it's much more stylish to go with somewhat realistic options.

Marula trees, on the other hand, have not only been used for wood since ancient times, but the bark has medical uses and you can extract rope from fiber under the bark. Plus you can brew beer from the fruit.  8)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2022, 02:40:29 am »

I hear what you're saying... but as you also mention, this is a game. Wood is abstracted. Like, okay, if the choice was between two different kinds of tree that produce Wood and Chemicals, maybe we'd go for the more stylish/realistic option. However, despite the IRL medical uses of Marula, in game, it produces Food, not Chemicals. Acquiring Chemicals will open up many more avenues of technology than acquiring even more Food.
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief in order to give ourselves more options in the future.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28